“Now a Hilton property, but your status doesn't matter...”

Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #97 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed January 26, 2013

In town for a large softball tournament MLK weekend. I don't usually stay at strip hotels but the tournament rate (and the waiver of the ridiculous $20 resort fee) made it acceptable. In going to check in, I noticed a special line for Hilton members. This surprised me because I wasn't aware that this property had recently become a Hilton. I was pleased because as a Diamond member I would usually get an upgrade and free breakfast.

However, though the staff including the supervisor were pleasant they told me they could not upgrade me because I had booked directly with them and not on the Hilton website. I told them that if I had known they were a Hilton property I would have done just that; but since I booked directly through the hotel and they were a Hilton property now; I should get the benefits. They disagreed.

I was also told my room wasn't available even though it was after the 3 p.m. check in time. They offered me a smoking room which I did initially take, but is was smoky (big surprise) and I eventually received a non-smoking room on the sixth floor.

The room is nice size with tropical colors and furniture; not fancy, but comfortable. Despite being on the sixth floor it was quiet. The bathroom was dated and the tub was pretty chipped up.

Their parking area on the Las Vegas Blvd side is partially closed, and their inside garage is shaped that if you go down one of the three aisles and there are no spots you have to turn around in rather close quarters. There is additional parking behind the hotel; about a ten minute walk.

Overall, a decent property but given a choice I would stay off the strip.

Cheers.

Marius

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Marius40
Nicole-TropLV, Guest Relations Manager at Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2013

Marius40, I apologize we failed to meet all your expectations and also apologize for any confusion. the only way to earn HHonor points on your stay is to book directly with us or through Hilton. As long as we know of your HHonors status prior to your arrival, regardless of how you booked, we will ensure you receive the benefits you have earned. I am happy to share with you that all the bathrooms are receiving a transformation. I hope you will give us another chance to earn your business. -Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com

Reviewed January 26, 2013

I have read some mixed reviews about the Trop but last stayed there in 1993 so was interested to see the changes. Prior to this trip we stayed at The Cosmo fountain view terrace suite...People often make the mistake of comparing, we cant compare the two however we needed a break for a reason price and The Trop ticked our boxes.
We arrived some 33 hours plus late courtesy of Thomas Cook (brits... dont do it) around 7.30pm check in was speedy we were in our room in minutes; Paradise Delux Room and only a view floors up. We didn't have much of a view but i didnt ask for one and wasn't planning on spending much time in the room to warrent one. The room was really clean and furnishings were in good condition, the bed was very comfortable and we were more than happy with are bathroom. The room was cleaned daily and we were left extra water (we tipped daily as the maids are different every day). As for the coconut smell we didnt find it overbearing at all. Neither of us are gamblers we like to have a go for just a bit of fun and not much loss so reagrding the casino i can only comment of the appearence and how we found it for our "purposes". It was bright and had a really nice feel to it. It wasn't crowded and the drinks flowed quite quicky, our server was lovely and had worked there for 26 years. The location is great there are bus stops close by we used the one across the road near the MGM and for south there is one outside Excaliber you purchase the tickets at the stops.Centre strip is only a short walk away 15-20mins but you could consider 3 day bus pass which makes life a little easier for dropping shopping off etc. Most days we headed to Towns Square (south) for breakfast but did have the buffet breakfast at The Trop which our winnings paid for on our last day. It had a great choice of food all cooked well and again the staff were great. It kept us full for the long day (possible days.. Thomas Cook lol) ahead of us. We brought some wine and beer at Whole Foods (Town Square)which were good prices and kept us stocked up all week. Centre strip is only a short walk away 15-20mins but you could consider 3 day bus pass which makes life a little easier for dropping shopping off etc. I left some shopping in the casino and didnt realise until the following day it had been handed and was in lost property so a thank you be it staff or customer for doing that. We would definately stay here again being a much smaller hotel it had that homely feel and to get to your room from entrance in a few minutes has got to be good...right?

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank sharonsime

Thank you for your review, sharonsime. I am glad you had a great holiday and thank you for giving us the chance to earn your business. --Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com

Reviewed January 25, 2013

We stayed at the Tropicana between Christmas and New year. The room was okay, however the bathroom was a bit tired and needed updating. There isn't the variety of restaurants as some of the larger casinos, however we ate at the cafe and Biscayne and the meals were good. The casino itself was quite light and bright, which was a nice change to some of other casinos. Overall we enjoyed our stay.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Patricia Z

Thank you for your review, Patricia. I am happy we met your expectations and we hope to exceed them on your next visit. --Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com

Reviewed January 25, 2013

My husband & I recently stayed for 4 nights at the Tropicana. This was my first visit, my husband had stayed at the hotel twice in the past. We were celebrating my 50th birthday and it was a joy to spend it at the Tropicana. Our thanks to a very special lady, Gwen Velasquez who went above & beyond to make this birthday one to remember. The hotel has the greatest valet staff on the strip, especially Billy & Lennon. It's nice to be greeted by name every time you pull in to park. The decor of the lobby is fantastic, very modern and clean. Our room was beautiful and housekeeping and room service staff were great. I was lucky enough to enjoy a hot stone massage at the spa which was a very relaxing experience. The Tropicana has a small hotel feel to it yet offers everything the mega hotels have without the mob scene. Loved every minute and hope to return in warmer weather to enjoy what looked like a beautiful pool area.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Phyllis075

Thank you for your review, Phyllis075. Thank you for celebrating your 50th birthday with us. I am thrilled Gwen, Billy and Lennon were able to ensure we exceeded your expectations and I will ensure they are celebrated. --Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights last week. I was so excited to stay after reading all the glowing reviews. We chose this property since it is now owned by Hilton. We loved it! Perfect location to everything, other resorts, strip monorail, freeway, airport. I remember years ago when Tropicana was not the place to stay, not anymore! It is not the huge, mega resort that some other casinos are, but that's why I loved it. Stayed in the Paradise Tower which was a couple minute walk from the 11th floor to outside on the Strip, not miles and miles like some others. I have stayed several times at other mega resorts and will not again. My first and only choice will be Tropicana!

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank Kgraves66

Thank you for your review, Kgraves66. I just want to make sure there is no confusion on our Hilton partnership. We still have the same amazing ownership but our strategic partnership allows us the ability to offer HHonors benefits to our guests. We look forward to seeing you again, soon. -Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Did a Sunday to Sunday stint for our 24th anniversary from December16th to 23rd 2012. When we arrived at the Trop in the early afternoon on the Sunday check in was the fastest I have ever had in my life - it literally took all of 2 minutes. Apparently not too many people check in on a Sunday after lunch as we just walked right up to the check in counter. After we grabbed some wine, juice and snacks in the gift shop right by the front entrance we dropped our bags off at our room - which was a very nicely remodeled room in the Paradise Tower (again, another 2 minute walk from the front check in/entrance to the elevators). The room was clean, well appointed and had a very plush King bed and a beautiful view of the strip looking North. One of my absolute favorite things is that both the shudders and the windows open - the windows only open a few inches, but it's more than enough to pop your camera out to take photos, without the pesky screen that is over the windows.

Then back out into the Tropicana to explore what else it had to offer. If you're a fan of coconut - this is the place for you, as soon as you step out of your room the coconut smell permeates the air. If you're not - well....you'll find the smell an issue. But bear in mind newbies - every hotel/casino has some sort of scent mingled in with all the oxygen circulating around.

Sadly, while we were there both Baccio and Biscayne were undergoing renovations, so were closed. We ate at the Beach Cafe almost daily. We liked breakfasts the best - as you could get your choice of a buffet or order from the menu. The fish & chips as well as the burgers were great - sadly though the other items we seemed to order (the big bowl of wonton soup and beef & broccoli in particular were a big disappointment - both items were heavily over salted - maybe it was just the chef that day, not sure. We also sadly found service to be an issue - as while it was the week before Christmas and there were only a sparse number of customers, we often found ourselves sitting at our table waiting to be served for quite a while. One day in particular, we literally sat there for 15 minutes, I had to convince my husband not to get up and leave, as wait staff strolled around - while we were 2 of only 6 patrons in the restaurant. Eventually our server realized we needed menus for breakfast, and we weren't doing the buffet.

The best things the Trop has to offer? A smaller intimate casino - it's not going to take you 1/2 an hour to walk thru the casino to your room. A quieter laid back atmosphere. Except for Friday and Saturday nights when the co-eds seem to show up it's very laid back and relaxed. Not too many people or too much noise. We come to Vegas to relax, not hear college kids screaming drunk. The Valet guys are wonderful, as is frankly most of the staff you'll encounter. The Social Media team is helpful too, whether on FB or Twitter, and if you have a customer service issue, or can be helped with an upgrade they will do their best to help you out - especially Nicole :) We also liked that there were actually $5 limits for Blackjack, and there were plenty of table games and decent slot machines.

The things that could use some help? As the food court is so limited, it's not easy or cheap to grab food at off hours. Most meals at the Beach Cafe would set you back about $25 bucks a person. We often had to stroll over the bridge to the MGM and walk thru to the little Grand Canyon souvenir store to hit the Subway subs for a quick meal that wasn't $30 bucks.

Paper thin walls. On our first night there was either a young man or woman in the adjoining room to ours (you know the type - with the door in the middle that opens to both rooms should you have a group staying together) who decided to entertain a friend. And while I could tell they were drunk, they were speaking at a normal volume that most of us speak, not actually loud. We could here EVERY word, even things like putting a beverage down on the night stand, the wall was that thin. They made it a point to chat and giggle until 5 in the morning, .....which was when I managed to get to sleep. Luckily for the rest of our stay, that room stayed empty so the noise was only an issue once.

Overall the experience was a nice one, and we would stay there again. The room was cozy and comfy and most of the staff was great. Even the cleaning ladies were dolls, as one left me a nice "thank you" note one day after I left my customary thank you note with a tip on the dresser. I'm sure if we were there during the warm months when the pool is open we would have enjoyed it even more, as we could tell there were more renovations happening to the rooms poolside. if you're looking for a relaxed place this is the one for you.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Kudo’s to the Tropicana for a beautifully done restoration! In an era when so many of the classics have been demolished, it was wonderful to see the Tropicana with new life. The remodel has been done perfectly and we loved the comparatively intimate, clean, fresh feel of the property. It’s not “glitzy.” There is not really a “wow factor.” The casino itself is actually pretty small. But, what you get is a very nice, well priced resort, with fairly large rooms and all the amenities you might want. The pool area is a stand-out too.

Service at the Trop was great – fast valet parking and check-in and a very friendly staff throughout. We had a small issue with our closet door, (it was off the track, and I’m not very mechanical), and a friendly engineer was there pronto to set things right.

There is, however, a “but” coming. Let’s see . . . you book around 900 rooms, full of mostly male athletes there for a sports competition, and it never occurs to you that the boys might be hungry after coming in from the playing fields?

Saturday night, the wait in the casual restaurant was nearly 2 hours, and the queue at the “Food Court” was not much better. Room service, (and there are two options), did not answer the phone or . . . when they did . . . immediately put you on hold. (We waited once for 28 minutes). When the order WAS placed, the delivery time, for a PIZZA, was 1 ¾ hours. (We ordered that because the harried woman told us it would be the quickest thing). Geeze! Bring on some extra staff or get creative by building some items in advance, for quick delivery. So frustrating!

By the way, we went for lunch, several times, at “The Beach Café.” The service was actually pretty good, during “off” hours, and the food decent. The only problem was that, on one visit, 3 of our 4 plates arrived luke-warm. Cold won ton soup is not very appealing.

Bottom line: We loved the hotel itself but the food service needed some tweaking.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank SFGlen
Nicole-TropLV, Guest Relations Manager at Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback, SFGlen. I must say, we are pretty happy we did not demolish as well. I am glad our Carpenter was able to assist you with your door and apologize for the challenge in the first place. I do apologize over the challenges with getting a quick meal. We did not anticipate the rush all at once, however I can assure you next event we will be more than ready! --Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com