Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #99 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Toronto, Canada
“Good Choice”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

The Tropicana is a very nice hotel for the price point. They have done a terrific job on their south beach inspired renovation which gives the hotel a clean modern chic vibe. It is a small and intimate property, quite indescript from the outside unlike some of the more interesting and extravagant properties on the strip. The hotel is also very quiet by Vegas standards which we did not mind. The mood is subdued - don’t expect anything too lively. The casino was never more than ¼ full. The bar/lounge area was mostly empty. You will have to venture out to find a good party. The casino in the lobby of the hotel is really quite nice – modern, white, bright, cheery and welcoming compared to most in Vegas that are dark, gloomy and downright depressing. Although we checked out many many casinos on the strip, we gambled exclusively at the Tropicana while in Vegas because of the atmosphere and also to take advantage of their rewards program which reimburses your first $200 loss – a little repaid each day over the following three day period. The casino was kind enough to relieve us of a total of $1,000 over our four-day visit :). The standard hotel room was large, clean and had one of the comfiest beds I have experienced while traveling – deep soft pillow top mattress with lovely warm duvet and lots of pillows. There is no fridge in the room - be prepared to shuffle down to the ice machine in your jammies if you get a thirst on for a cold drink during the night. No coffee machine either which forced us out of our room a little earlier than we would have if we could have enjoyed a cuppa in the room. They have a beautiful outdoor pool and patio area that I really wished we could use but wrong time of year - it was closed for the season. We ate in the hotel restaurant each morning and sampled several dishes from the a la carte breakfast menu and all were delicious. Combination breakfast platter (i.e. eggs, meat, pancakes, toast) was $15 and coffee $4 so you are better off to just take the unlimited breakfast buffet at $19.99 if you really want to chow down. Service in the restaurant was very prompt and courteous. Maid service was good. Casino staff so friendly and helpful. Dinner in the steakhouse did not disappoint with amazing food and outstanding professional service (be sure to get your half off main course coupons offered with show ticket purchases on the strip for $3 – mains are normally priced $40-$50 otherwise so can be quite pricey).

Overall we had a great experience at the hotel. After we checked out we had several hours to kill before catching our flight home. We were gambling in the casino when my cell phone rang. I picked it up to hear my 8-year-old daughter crying hysterically into the phone that she had arrived to our home with her babysitter after a weekend in Orlando to find that our house had been robbed – door kicked in…house ransacked….she was beside herself...phone drops the call. I desperately rang the number back to our home but couldn’t connect. I tried again still couldn’t complete the call. Any parent could imagine my panic and desperation as I ran to the front desk asking for access to a landline to call home that there was an emergency involving my young child. I was told by the lady on duty at the front desk to get to a store and by a phone card because calling from the hotel would be too expensive. I would have paid any amount of money to talk to my daughter at that time!!!! There was no time to argue with that woman. Instead I ran outside and I was able to get a better signal and establish a cell phone call to my daughter. It was the most important phone call of my life. The absolute lack of compassion that was demonstrated to me by that front desk person will never be forgotten.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank tlcjr60
Nicole-TropLV, Guest Relations Manager at Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback, NeedSomeInfo. On your next visit please let us know you would like a fridge or coffee maker and we can have these delivered to your Deluxe Room. They do come standard in a suite. Also, for a great dining and "party" experience, I recommend Bagatelle Supper and Nightclub. I do apologize over the lack of empathy and customer service from our front desk agent. I assure you this is not our intended levels of service and this has been addressed. I hope when you got home your daughter was doing better and that you have been able to get some routine back. --Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,687)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 9, 2013

In comparison as to what Tropicana has to offer it is not a 4 star in anyway. What you get for the value is definitely not what you pay for.

Surely Tropicana is in a great location....... 10 years ago. It is the closest to the airport right across Mandalay bay which is also too far from the strip. Walking the streets at 10pm on a weekend was completely empty at that area.

So why was it not four stars?

The ceiling of the lobby was only 2 stories tall, the casino is a JOKE! I repeat a JOKE! They basically took a junk property and refurbed it to a new property. You walk 20 minutes before you reach the elevator. on the way there the ceiling can hit your head if you're taller than 6" 3'

The parking is even more ridiculous. Free parking requires a 10-20 minute walk and thats if you manage to get a spot. They offer half enough parking for the property as the parking its self is only 1 story tall.

The only reason I gave this review 3 stars was a few reasons which im about to list
The hotel room is very spacious and yet very new and refurbed. This property is very old and unfortunately after renovation you will still know for a fact it is very old. They did do a lot of remodeling and matches the pictures online.

HOWEVER the shower for our room did not work. We stayed one night and didn't shower till the morning and realized it was too late. Front desk did slightly comp us when they asked for our satisfaction at check out.

I just honestly do not feel this is a 4 star hotel. Ive stayed in hundreds of hotels in my life as I travel a lot for sports/business/leisure

If i were to give a true honest rating this is a 3.5 stars hotel.

Room Tip: When youre at the front desk request a strip view room and higher floor the hotels alright as far as...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank TennisNoob
Nicole-TropLV, Guest Relations Manager at Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
tennisplayer01, I apologize we failed to meet all your expectations. The lower ceilings do allow for better air control, which is why our casino is less smoky than others. The walk to the Club Tower, while it may seem long, is 5 minutes from the front desk. I believe what makes it seem longer is that you do not have to travel through the casino to get there. We do offer self parking as well as complimentary valet in our three story garage. I apologize over the shower and am happy to inform you the bathrooms are being re-done as we "speak." What sets us apart is not the size of our casino, it's our service and cleanliness. We focus on quality over quantity. -Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com
Sun City, Arizona, USA
Reviewed January 9, 2013

My daughter got married at the Tropicana in December (12/12/12at noon). She was married in their chapel and had her reception in Beach Bay Restaurant. The wedding, service, food and location was wonderful. The restaurant offered a variety of entrees for the guests. The wedding coordinator made everything run smoothly, along with the restaurant manager. Most of our family and friends stayed at the Tropicana and everything went well for everyone who stayed there.

I would highly recommend this hotel for any event, or just a vacation.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Phyllis M
Phyllis M, congratulations to your daughter! I am thrilled we were able to exceed all your expectations and ensure your daughter's day was perfect. --Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We had an excellent stay at the Tropicana. Our travel agent booked it for us but we made the final decision after positive reviews. We absolutely loved the place and all the staff we encountered were very helpful and went out of their way to oblige. It was our first time in Vegas and weren't disappointed at any stage and were sorry to leave, however, we have a lot of lovely memories to hold on to. Our room was spotless and spacious and overlooked the Vegas Airport and even though aircraft were taking off very quickly between each other it was not a problem noisewise. In fact we really enjoyed seeing the planes. Hopefully we can return one day and if we do we will definitely stay at the Tropicana - it had a nice feel about it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review, Margaret T. I am glad we were able to ensure your first visit to Las Vegas was perfect. --Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I wanted to see the fireworks live in Las Vegas once in my lifetime. This was a last minute booking and I found a really good rate for this hotel. Since we did not check in until the 31st at a sellout hotel there were no two queen room for a party of three. The staff was apologetic and provided us with a rollaway bed at no extra charge and took off the resort fee. Our room was updated, spacious and had a wonderful view of the neighboring hotels. We did not even have to leave the hotel to see the fireworks but we did anyways for the experience of walking LV Blvd.
The hotel was easy to get around and the casino portion did not overpower the lobby. I would like to come back in the summer to enjoy the pool area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Nicole-TropLV, Guest Relations Manager at Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you for spending New Years with us, shines-smith. I am glad you had a great visit. -Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com
Diamond Bar, California
Reviewed January 9, 2013

When we walked into the gaming place, it was clean and smelled so fresh. While playing the slot machine, staff Lynn Cruz approached me and invited me to apply for a card membership to get the promotion they were having, at first I was hesitant but when she explained the details I was convinced. My mom, brother and I really enjoyed it, Lynn was really a good help and was assisting us the whole way. She's so accommodating and explained things to us. I'm sure we will come back and see Lynn again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review, Nessie P. I will be sure Lynn is congratulated for her service and we can not wait to see you all again. --Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Excellent location, rooms, decor, parking and overall service. The wait for Check-in was a little long but that would be the only complaint if I had to come up with one. Now, as is quite common, lots of young people drink too much, hold parties in their room etc. Unfortunately, we were next to rowdy room and we were moved upon our request. The staff did come up to our floor to speak to the rowdy bunch but we thought it best to move. There was no problem and our stay improved greatly. Our friends at the MGM loved our room, btw!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review, roguerox. I am glad our staff was able to assist you with a room change when you requested it due to your neighbors. You can always request a room with no connecting door to cut down on the noise next visit. --Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com