“The Tropicana, 12 years later...” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel

Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #95 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“The Tropicana, 12 years later...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

My first ever trip to Vegas with my then girlfriend, now wife, was 12 years ago, and we stayed at The Tropicana because of its history and the fact that it was on what was then the New Strip. We hadn't been back to Vegas until a few years ago when a division of our company began having an annual retreat. This conference is typically in whichever new hotel/casino has just opened. When I had the opportunity to head to Vegas for a quick business trip, I decided to check out the Trop, having read about it's new ownership and reno. I knew it wasn't going to be The W or The Cosmopolitan, being a reno and not a total rebuild, but I was impressed enough to actually write to the hotel management group with the following feedback: "You and the new management team have done a remarkable job of turning over a new page in the ongoing history of the Tropicana.

The look is a great mix of modern and retaining some of the historic feel. The service levels from front desk, bar, floor servers and cleaning staff are up there with the best of both casino's and business level hotels.

The Beach Cafe was a great "home base" for the stay, and although I got out to The Wynn and other restaurants over the last 4 days, I always looked forward to hving at least one meal a day "at home".

My room was clean, big, well looked after, nicely updated and on par with the places I usually stay at when travelling (typically The Hilton). Its not "brand new", but it was certainly not looking its age by any stretch. Nice touch with the Kohler and Toto fixtures.

Kudo's to you and your team. I think the re-branding has given The Trop a new vibe that would appeal to those of us not wanting a 20 somethings nightclub feel, or to feel swallowed up by a massive property. Its also a great alternative for the pure business traveller looking for a quieter space with great restaurants and easy access to anywhere they need to get to. "

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Philip B
Nicole-TropLV, Guest Relations Manager at Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback and send us your amazing letter, Philip B. I am so happy we were able to exceed your expectations and you had a great visit. The great news now is that now you can use all those Hilton Honors points you have been accumulating at our property! --Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,631)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Flagstaff, AZ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

Stayed 2 nights at the Tropicana. Overall, we were disappointed with the "resort." The rooms and property were decent and nicely upgraded, but nothing spectacular. They were clean and comfortable, but no different from any other hotel, such as the Best Western I stayed at immediately after my stay here. The problem with the Tropicana is that there is not much else there, especially compared to the other nearby resorts. There were only 3 dining options on the property, 2 expensive restaurants and one over priced deli, which was already closed by 10 pm on a Saturday night (I thought Vegas was the city that never sleeps). Additionally, there was a pool, but it was drained and empty, and there wasn't really any access outside to the courtyard. Based on the quality of the very few amenities provided, I would not call it a resort by any means, and it is definitely not worth the $20 per night resort fee. Next time I would stay somewhere else, like New York New York, since it had much more, for only a few more dollars per night. However, as a place to sleep for the night, the Tropicana is alright.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank wings34
wings34, I apologize we failed to meet all your expectations on this visit. We currently had 5 dining options, 2 of them being reasonably priced. I apologize if you were not aware of these and we are looking at better in-room advertising. The thing that makes us special is our clean, bright and relaxed atmosphere. Other properties are crowded, smoky and confusing. We offer an amazing nightlife, free live award-winning music in the Tropicana Lounge and a gambling experience that is clean and bight. --Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com
Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

Received 3 free nights, 200 slot play, 150 in food. Had to leave 200 deposit, 150 dep. for food. Was told over the phone no deposit required. Food was cold and breakfast was expensive. One piece of toast with meal. Waiting 15 minutes for extra toast. Leaving that much of dep on holiday weekend was out of line since I was told on the phone it wasn't needed. I will be going back to the Rampart Casino, I am treated very well there. I also could have 5 of the same breakfasts for the price I paid for one. Not a good experience.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms over bar next Paradise tower. All night you will hear the music which was annoy...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank patnicoletti
I apologize, patnicoletti, that your visit failed your expectations. It sounds like you came in with an offer from a Casino Host. I hope that you contacted your Host as soon as you started to experience any challenges so they could have an opportunity to correct them. The security deposit is typical of Las Vegas Strip hotels and it is returned when you check out, less any other charges you made to your room. I would like more details about your visit so I can discuss with your Host and have a chance to make this stay up to you. I am concerned over the 1-star review as it seems the only challenges were a delay of toast with breakfast and the security deposit., How was the rest of your free stay and free play?--Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com
Henderson, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by the Room upgrades. Thsi property has been recently re-done, and is really nice. The staff was friendly, Great Drink specials at the Bar,an the Pool area has been re-done as well.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Toni S
Thank you for your review, Toni S. I am glad you enjoyed the transformation and had a great time! -Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com
Chatham, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

decided to book a solo trip to spend a few days in Vegas in late 2012. I arrived on a Saturday night after getting long-hauled from the airport, but this wasn't going to stop me from having a great holiday.

I arrived and was told by the front desk that "you have an amazing room, you will enjoy it!" - and they were not wrong. I was in the Paradise tower and walked in to a massive living area. I've seen apartments smaller than this living area! Connected was a smaller bedroom and bathroom. The bed was comfortable! Very comfortable.

I was facing the strip and it can be noisy at times which is fine, it's Vegas! Random fire truck/ambulance sirens are somewhat of the norm facing a large intersection. The room(well, suite) featured two LCD televisions, a coffee maker, multiple sitting options, comfortable bed, and a shower with plenty of hot water.

Had a great stay, house keeping had asked me if I needed anything when they saw the do not disturb sign and when I mentioned an issue, it was rectified fast. Staff were awesome, always with a smile and a "how are you today?" - truly does feel like a second home.

Met some fellow Canadians at the tables and throughout my trip kept bumping into them.

Hotel was taking photos of each area of the property (Chill'm, Sports Book, Pool, Bacio, etc) and it was nice to see a little 'behind the scenes' of what it's like at a fancy photo shoot (watched them set up around Chill'm).

Certainly have to thank Nicole Marshall for helping me book my rooms and being an awesome employee for helping everyone she possibly can!

Recommending to all friends/family.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank blairs1
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review, blairs1. I am so glad you enjoyed your Paradise Suite. I apologize over any challenges, but am happy to hear our staff came to the rescue quickly. I am also happy you were able to be there while we were doing our photoshoot and was able to experience being an extra! It really was my pleasure to be able to assist you. --Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com
minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

A mediocre hotel with a four-star claim. Rooms are spacious but that's about it. The smell of smoke covered up with perfume is everywhere. Given the $20+tax a day resort fee, you pay quite a bit for not that much. No fridge, no coffee maker, sink and tub that barely drain and a poor selection of game channels perhaps designed to send you down to the bars. No thanks!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank redmccomb
redmccomb, I apologize your stay did not meet your high expectations. The resort fee, which is one of the lowest on the Strip, covers WiFi, season use of the pool and hot tubs, boarding pass printing, waters in your room at check in, fitness center access in the Glow spa, drink specials and more. A fridge and coffee maker come standard in a suite and are available by request in a Deluxe Room. There are fewer TV channels then you would find at home, but normally in Vegas no ones spends that much time in their room. I do hope when you called to mention that sink challenges we were able to fix it ASAP for you and do apologize they even occurred in the first place. --Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com
Holland, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

Stayed above the Laugh Factory on floor 2 for a week. Loud Loud Loud and they wouldn't move me. You would've thought for someone staying a week I would at least get a couple perks or free stuff. Tight wads. Casino is way too small. People were handing out coupons to the mob attraction and I was never offered a once anything from them. They were too busy talking between their coworkers or cell phones.A Don not Dist. sign on the door means just that. Cleaning staff must not be able to read or something I guess. Choices of places to eat is really bad. Went to the place and waited for 15 minutes before I even saw my waitress so I just ended up leaving. You're nuts if you stay here.

Room Tip: Stay some place else.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Michael S
I apologize, Michael S, that your visit failed your expectations. I would like to know more about when you asked to move rooms. As we may have been sold out on a few days, we should have been able to move you after that. Please understand that we have guests staying with us sometimes up to a month and, as normal for Vegas, there are no perks or discounts for extended stays. I apologize of the Mob Attraction coupon greeters did not offer you a coupon, did you ask for one? If they ignored you after you asked I would like to know. If they recognized you, they may not have offered you one as not to "pester" you. I assure you they meant this out of respect and not to ignore you. I will address the cell phone usage with their management. I would also like more details on how Housekeeping ignored the Do Not Disturb sign. Can you also share with me what restaurant had slow service so we can address this? -Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com