Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #103 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed December 5, 2011

Had a wonderful time staying at the newly remodelled Tropicana Hotel and Casino in Las Vegaz. The room we stayed had been resently remodelled. It was nice and fresh, almost like staying in a new hotel. The casino was also great. There was still a lot of remodelling that needed to be finished when we were there, but the parts that were done were fantastic!!!

Room Tip: The rooms in the tower have a great view of the Las Vegas strip!!!
  • Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
TropLV, Guest Relations Manager at Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2011

Thank you for your review. I am glad you had a great visit and I am happy to share with you that the transformation of the front desk is currently underway!

Reviewed December 5, 2011

Couldn't knock it, it did what it said on the tin.

I believe it had a refurb early this year and is clean and tidy, everything did what it was supposed to do. Beds to die for, I think there are a few GF rooms that have not been refurbished and if they were an example of what it had become, then I can understand any negative reviews.

Don't accept a GF room and have a fab time.

We saw iCandy in the hotel, a free Burlesque dance troop in the hotel. Always imagined it to be a bit seedy/stripper like. WRONG, fantastic show for men, women (not children) a male perspective I accept. But if you don't see it if they are still on while you are there................
LOSER!!!
Steve

Room Tip: At present, not a GF roon. In the S Tower, one side over looks the airport. Not a noise problem...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Steve H

Thank you for your review. I am happy to let you know that all the rooms we sell are renovated rooms.

Reviewed December 5, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Tropicana from Nov. 28 to Dec 2. My top priority in a hotel is it's got to be clean. Everything, and I mean everything was clean. Rooms, casino, public restrooms, dining areas, elevators, there was even a woman outside cleaning the escalator to the walkway to MGM. Our room was very spacious with a nice view. The beds are amazing. All of the staff we dealt with was very friendly. Nicole took care of us before we even arrived and Felicia at the Roulette table was very personable and took the time to teach us the game. We even won a little! The cocktail waitresses were quick with the drinks. Tip those ladies......they deserve it. Slot selection was very comparable to the other casinos on the strip. We also caught the Recycled Percussion show. WOW! That was the best show we saw all week. Even more entertaining than the Blue Man Group! On our next trip to Vegas we will most certainly be staying at the Tropicana again.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nebraskabecky

Thank you for your review and congratulations on your roulette win! I am glad we were able to exceed your expectations and earn your business.

Reviewed December 4, 2011

Had the most amazing time at the new Tropicana.

Stayed for 7 nights in total from Novemer 13th - 20th, and from the second i got there I knew we'd have a ball, when the taxi pulled up the guy at the front door nearly died when he spotted me trying to take our own luggage up the steps to reception, helped us with all out bags, with such a smile! :-)

Check in was quick and painless.

From the moment you walk in the front door of the trop you'll notice their scent is pushed in though the air con system, a tropical blend of coconuts and pineapple, lovely.

The rooms are nice and spacious, HD TV with HD channels was a nice touch, the beds are simply one of the most comfortable beds I've ever had the pleasure of sleeping on.

I simply cannot recommend this hotel enough.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank LeeODonnell

Thank you for your review and for spending 7 days with us. I am glad you had a great visit and we are working on a new sign to make the front luggage ramp more noticeable. (No more having to lug your bags up the steps!)

Reviewed December 4, 2011

My two sisters and I went to Vegas for the first time and stayed at the Tropicana. We LOVED it there. There is not one negative thing we can say about it. The room, although not luxurious was lovely and the best beds and pillows. Extremely clean, room service everyday even though we said it wasn't necessary. The casino was light and bright and gave off a happy feeling instead of dark and depressing like almost every other casino. Not a huge choice in food but what we ate was excellent. The breakfast buffet was good and a late night meal was also good. We never came across any staff that was grumpy, they were all nice and helpful. The tropicana fit our lifestyle perfectly, small enough to easily get around. We loved staying there so much that we are planning another trip in April. Just for fun I looked at other places to stay and there really is no place else we would rather stay. I highly recommend the Tropicana.

1  Thank cheaptraveler_11

Thank you for your review and for choosing us for your first Vegas Vacation. I am happy we were able to earn your business and we look forward to your April visit.

Reviewed December 4, 2011

My husband and I recently booked two rooms at the Tropicana for a one night outing to see the Cirque "O" show, for my mother and ourselves.
We chose the Tropicana based on location, website photos, off-season price and TA reviews.
From the time we arrived all staff from valet parking, bell desk, registration and restaurant service were wonderful. Everyone was friendly, informative and helpful.
Upon first glance, the updated rooms were great. We liked the modern "Miami Beach" decor, but it quickly became evident that the Tropicana declarations of a newly "renovated" property actually meant newly "decorated."
The bathroom floor tile was very old 4", outdated, chipped and scuffed. The stone threshold between the bathroom and bedroom appeared either very dirty or permanently stained. The bathtub had numerous, large chips in the enamel.
The housekeeping, or lack of, was quite surprising. Our bathtub had standing water in it, hair (not ours) in the sink and the carpet, particularly in front of the dresser, had many stains. The carpet appeared fairly new so part of the re-decorating, but obviously not regularly cleaned.
My Mom's room had the same stained carpet and her bathroom sink actually was sprinkled with dirt particles, as though a broom or mop had been shaken out in it. There was long, dark hair on the bathroom counter, also not her's.
A housekeeper was doing the room across the hall from us so I told her about our bathrooms. Her response was to simply open the bathtub plug and let the water drain out. I had to ask her to "please clean it."
There was a memo in each room alerting guests to a hotel water test on Nov. 28th that would require turning the water off completely between 1:00am-5:00am. We were there on the 30th so fortunately it didn't apply to us (the memos should have been thrown away) but I can't imagine checking into a LV hotel with the idea of gambling, eating and drinking the night away only to discover, upon check-in, that I wouldn't be able to flush the toilet or have any water in my room during the night.
It was surprising that the room service menu was limited to pizza and strombolis from their Italian food court cafe. In a 24 hr. town I would always expect a breakfast, lunch and dinner selection.
We don't gamble so the only other hotel amenity that we used was the Cafe Nikki for breakfast. Again, we loved the updated decor and table with a pretty view of the tropical, palm tree surrounded pool & patio. Our server was great.
On the negative, the prices were high for basic breakfast in an older, average Las Vegas hotel. Coffee was $4, bacon and eggs $12, pancakes $9 and the breakfast buffet was almost $19 per person. We've done a lot traveling in many states and countries and aren't opposed to indulging in good dining, but that was extravagant for an average property, at low season, during a negative economy, in a resort town where business is off 40% and there is a lot of competition. That one experience would certainly deter us from trying any of their other restaurants when there are so many excellent choices in Las Vegas.

Others here have had very positive stays at the Tropicana so perhaps the bad housekeeping in our two rooms was the exception, but managements policy to cut corners by not replacing the worn out tile and tubs and not regularly shampoo the room carpeting will send us elsewhere.
With so many good $50 a night rooms in LV right now I doubt that we'd stay at the Tropicana again as room cleanliness is high on our priority list.

2  Thank RandiRA

Thank you for your review and I apologize we failed to meet all your expectations. I am happy to share with you that each bathroom in every room is in the process of receiving an update. I do apologize over the housekeeping challenges and those are being addressed to ensure they do not occur again.

Reviewed December 3, 2011

We have been returning to the Tropicana for over 40 years and we chose Thanksgiving week for our most recent visit. While there have been many changes in the resort over the past 4 years they have, for the most part, been for the better. The Tropicana has been brought into the 21st century with all of the latest technologies that people have come to expect from the best hotels, yet they have managed to retain most of the "Classic Las Vegas" feel that we see vanishing elsewhere on the strip. The rooms are updated and bright. The beds are as comfortable as anywhere I have slept, and that is very important for someone with a "cranky" back like mine. We thoroughly enjoyed visiting with our extended "family" and we are looking forward to a much longer stay in Late February to celebrate both my wife's birthday and her retirement.

Room Tip: End suites seem to be a bit quieter.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for your review and happy early birthday and retirement for your wife. We appreciate your continued loyalty and business and look forward to celebrating with you in a few months.