“Classic Las Vegas”

Ranked #98 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
West, Texas
“Classic Las Vegas”
Reviewed June 4, 2011

I was riding solo & booked 2 nights at the Tropicana. Recently renovated this Hotel reminded me of the classic Las Vegas. Easy access to park,check in without walking miles through a casino! My room was beautiful & the bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept in! All services were top-notch & the pool area felt like a glistening beach retreat. The new 'food court' had great food to grab on the way back to the room, while casual & more upscale options were also excellent. I had read a few grumblings about the slots being hard to win, but I certainly had great luck! drink service was very good while playing also. The Tropicana has 2 towers, I stayed in the original front tower with a view of the strip. I didn't use Valet service as I was on a motorcycle, but they were very helpful & I had a covered spot right at the side entry.

Room Tip: Book ahead for great rates
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,694)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Centennial, Colorado
Reviewed June 4, 2011

We checked in last night (Fri) and were planning on staying here until Wed, but we are looking at other hotels to stay at for the rest of the time. From checking in, the front desk did not even greet us, they just said NAME? to look up our reservation. They were very unplesant, then handed us our room key without even teling us how to get to the room... did not offer to help with the bags, either, so walking around lost with bags is always a great time.... We get to our room, oh what an awesome view of the airport! We paid for the deluxe room facing the strip. We are also on floor 6 out of 21, after asking for a high floor room. We have a lovely view of a parking lot. Our room is nice with a nice big bath tub, but there was a maids cleaning rag left behind that we have called 3x about to ask to be removed...We also only have 1 towel and facecloth? Called for extra towels, but still waiting on that as well. I guess they are waiting til they come this morning to do the normal cleaning. I was excited to come here after reading all of the great reviews lately, but now cannot wait to change hotels.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank nickixoxo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 3, 2011

The newly redone rooms have nice furniture, are impeccably clean and have all the amenities you would expect. Not luxury but very nice and far more than adequate. The pool area is nicely maintained but is a little kid heavy. It also gets crowded and chairs can be tough to come by. The downside? The fit and finish in the bathrooms. Poorly done around the edges. Some tiles are cracked and I assume they were not replaced when the remodel was done. Also, my pet peeve-I am 6 feet tall and the shower head is level with my neck. Measure from the floor of the TUB and allow for the fact that the neck to the shower head sloped DOWN! It should be a foot taller at least. The crowd varies from families, olds, couples and drunken 20 somethings. Pleasant staff and very clean public areas. Also that your resort fee covers "free internet". If there is a fee it is not, by definition, free.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the airport are quiet.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank the5neumanns
San Diego, CA
Reviewed June 3, 2011

nice rooms, i like the bed and pillows, bathroom is nice too. flatscreen tv, safe, ironing board, hairdryer. we couldn't figure out of they have room service or not. there was no menu in the room. we stayed in the club tower on the 17th floor with a view of the pool and the strip. warning: if you stay in this tower facing the strip you will hear club nikki/nikki beach all day and night. the pool party starts about 11am and ends about 6pm, then the nightclub starts up about 10pm until 2am. not sure why it's so loud. the windows block a lot of sound but you can definitely still hear it. the hotel is nice inside and the walkway to the club tower is non-smoking. the pool is very nice and has swim up blackjack and a couple spas. i would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank SDblondie
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed June 3, 2011

We had heard that the Tropicana was all new so we decided to give it a try for a staycation for my husband's birthday. I booked us into a suite for one night. We ended up on the 20th floor, a suite with a view of the pool, the mountains (perfect for sunset) and the fabulous Las Vegas strip! The room was beautiful! Exceptionally clean and fantastic! We loved the pool too! Cannot wait to go back! The Caribbean feel of the rooms and the pool was just what we needed for a couple of days away from work! Love love love it!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bcrooked
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed June 3, 2011

First I need to admit I've there in 2008 but forgot to review. Probably many things changed, but that time it was a very nice experience although the hotel was pretty old. I loved that though. Liked the wall of fame (Elvis' fan) ecc. The hotel was pretty nice, the only problem we reported to houskeeper staff, was - I found someone else's male pants between the wall and bed. In overall I remembered the hotel as nice, interesting and funny. Would like to come back there to see what changed.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Alcazares, Spain
Reviewed June 2, 2011

I stayed here as part of a tour for 2 nights. The hotel room was fantastic, clean, smart, large and comfortable, everything you’d expect in such a big hotel. I was in the Paradise Tower and overlooked the strip.

However !!

The restaurants had a poor selection and were very overpriced. The bars were so overpriced I thought the bar staff were joking about the prices. It appears all the hotels and bars now over charge for beer and liquor. Gone are the days of cheap beer and food allowing you to have a bet on the tables and slots. A bottle of bud averaged $6.50, a whiskey sour cost me $11 even a bottle of water costs around $2.50.

I bought a ticket to see Gladys Knight in the hotel. Gladys Knight was great but the service in the theatre was none existent. Gone are the days with waiter service at your table, you have to queue at a small bar in the theatre whilst the show is going on. This is very annoying for show visitors who have to queue, the people you are stood in front of whilst queueing and an artist who has people in front of them moving around to get a drink whilst they should be enjoying the show they have spent a fortune to go and see.

I rang the front desk as I wanted to call San Francisco and they wanted $13 just to make a call before the cost of my call. Fortunately the hotel does provide free internet. This allowed me to make my call using skype for 16 cents.

All in all, I long for the old Las Vegas, cheap food, cheap drinks and great entertainment. The new Las vegas and hotels are what the mafia always wanted to be, a legal way to print their own money.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo