“The renovation seems to work out well”

Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #103 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed May 17, 2011

Stayed in the Trop from 05/09/2011 to 05/16/2011, lets hope I manage to put together a useful review.

Pre-Check-In: After booking the hotel via Expedia, I found out on Facebook that Nicole Marshall is one of the nicest guest relation people in the whole city. Wrote her about my trip and asked her if it would be possible to get a fridge for my medication (the trip was a mix of birthday present and reward for being healthy again) and a quiet room. She responded within 24 hours that it wouldn't be a problem and told me that she would place a note on my reservation.

Check-In: Arrived at 2:15am to see that there was no line at all and I could check-in right away.
The way to the front desk, doesn't give you the whole casino tour, as it sits on the left side of the main entrance. That's a big bonus, since you don't have to move your luggage across the whole casino in order to check in.
The women at the check-in gave me a warm feeling, called housekeeping because of the fridge and told me they'd knock within 5 minutes.
Just as I got up to the room, housekeeping already knocked and helped me set up my fridge.

Room: I had a room in the Paradise Tower, which has it's elevators right at the entrance to the right. From the entrance to the elevator it's about a 7-10 step walk, so you get in and out of the hotel fast, if you want to do some shopping/seightseeing/... .
The rooms are big, even compared to other (more expensive) hotels on the strip. I had enough room to move around, set up my computer on the table without feeling like a canned tuna.
It was a pretty quiet room for Vegas standards, which I really loves, since I am still recovering and needed some sleep aswell. Only downside, I got veeeeeery loud neighbors the last 3 nights (weekend), but since I already saw they were very well booked and since I also didn't want to change rooms, I didn't mention it. But it doesn't change my opinion of the hotel ... they couldn't have known.
Also on a plus-side ... I had some friends stay at the Treasure Island and they complained that they didn't have a docking station for their IPod ... Tropicana has a very nice IHome station that also works with IPhones (which is rare, most docking station are IPod only).
Nearly forgot ... there's a huge safe in the room, that handles a 17" Laptop with ease ... I had a big camera, laptop, mobile phone, car keys, and and and in the safe and there was still enough room for another laptop and some more stuff ... safe didn't work when I arrived, but within 5 minutes security was there trying to help me. Sadly they couldn't fix it either, but the next morning a locksmith replaced the lock and it worked like a charm.

Casino: They had the "Even the Odds" promotion still going, which gives you 50% of what you lose (in slot play) back on the same day and 50 additional percent back on your next stay (between 1 and 12 months later). So even if you don't plan to lose, it is pretty nice to have a fallback-option ;)
The casino itself is bright, unlike most other Vegas casinos and while it feels different, it's a very nice feeling to play in a friendly environment.

Pool: They have a great pool that tends to get a little overrun on sunny days, as it's very inviting. The water was a little cold at first, but after some 85-90° days it really heated up and it was great to swim some laps there.
Nikki Beach is opening in May aswell, so they'll add another pool to the mix, where I'm sure people will meet to party and enjoy themselves. Construction looked pretty much done when I was there and I got a sneak peak of what to expect ... it looks very promising and could become a got-to-be-there spot in Vegas, if the management does a good job promoting it.

Housekeeping: Unlike some other people writing reviews here, I had no problems there ... they cleaned every day (except for my second to last day ... but that was because I told them it wouldn't make sense, since I had to leave at 3:00am in the morning) and did a pretty good job.

Overall: I already told people to take a good look at the Tropicana, if they don't mind walking a little to the to the crowded places, to get the most bang for their buck on the Strip.
I'd stay there again in a heartbeat ... would love to check out one of the suites next time.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank TheFalcon1982

Reviewed May 17, 2011

Tropicana was a great hotel. It was close to all hotels and restaurants. It also had its own fine restaurants with a wonderful choie of entrees. The staff was courteous and
helpful above and beyond. Kennon Wolff was the most courteous gentleman and helpful
in advising us of the things to do and places to go, he went beyond the call of duty.
Check in was quick and easy. We would not hesitate to stay at the Tropicana on our next visit. The casino was bright and not over-whelming with tables and slots. We saw two shows at the hotel and both were very entertaining and reasonably priced as were the restaurants. The pool area was beautiful and towels and lounge chairs were plentiful.
The rooms were immaculate and the service was wonderful.

1  Thank tropicanvacation
TropLV, Guest Relations Manager at Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2011

Thank you for your review. I am thrilled Kennon was able to exceed your expectations and will be sure to share this review with him. On your next visit, please check out Nikki Beach as it sounds like the south-beach atmosphere would be perfect for you! Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com

Reviewed May 17, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for our 30th wedding anniversary. Nicole was very helpful. From the staff at the check in desk being very friendly and informative to the room that was clean and newly decorated, to the very comfortable bed and pillows I was very impressed with the Tropicana. We requested a coffee maker and refrigerator when we reserved our room, it was brought to our room just minutes after we checked in by another friendly and courteous employee. The room was cleaned every day. The pool area was absolutely gorgeous. The location is near the airport and an easy to walk to other hotels on the strip.
The tower we stayed in was a bit of a walk from the main casino, but I enjoyed the exercise it provided me.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the strip or pool.
1  Thank Cinderella49

Happy Anniversary and thank you for your review. It really was my pleasure to assist you and I am glad your stay exceeded your expectations. A pool/strip view room is called a City View and we have some great deals on them currently. I do apologize the Club Tower was a bit of a walk (about 5-7 minutes from check in) and on your next visit you can ask for the Paradise Tower to be right off the Casino. Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com

Reviewed May 17, 2011

We stayed at the Tropicana for 7 nights, 6th-13th May. We were 2 couples and we had all been to Vegas before. After reading all the good reviews for the Trop we decided to give it a try. I must admit we were all slightly disappionted. Don't get me wrong it's a nice hotel, but they've done a good job on selling themselves and we found it's not quite as it seems. We all agreed that if it was your first visit to Vegas you'd be more than pleased. But if you have been before, you tend to do comparisons a little too much. Having said that our negatives didn't ruin our holiday. I really don't know where all the over friendly staff were on our week, we didn't find this the case at all. Not that they were rude or unwelcoming, but neither over the top friendly either. In fact most of the staff seemed to be new and unsure what they were doing. The rooms are really lovely, we upgraded to a deluxe room and it was great, with a fab view, and as sooo many say, the beds are AMAZINGLY comfortable...we had no probs sleeping, which definately helped with jetlag!!! Love the smell of the hotel, wafts of coconut but not a strong smell. Loved Cafe Nikki, nice ambience and yum food! The size of the hotel is great not large and easy to get around. The pool area is very nice, music is a bit repetative after a few days! The cocktail girls aren't assertive enough, our friend on the last day said they hadn't asked her once if she wanted a drink, we had to call them over, and they weren't overly friendly. We tended to go get our drinks in cafe Nikki ourselves. We were very disappointed with the Ambhar lounge, we had the impression of a cool lounge bar, with cocktails, music, etc, but this really was a let down. Its a small area with sport on the screens, which confuses me when there is a sports bar. We did spend time there though, happy hour 4pm-7pm half price cocktails! We ate at Biscayne, bit of a strange ambience, waiter was humourless, which made us laugh!! Food was OK, mediocre, you can get much better in other hotels. My Husband tried the taster meal, it wasn't good! Didn't eat in the Italian, it looked nice, but both restaurants a weirdly situated. The casino is bright and airy, my husband enjoyed some gambling. The drinks girls come round more often there than round the pool, and the drinks are free in there!! All in all we had a great holiday, nothing ruined it. It'll be even better when Nikki beach/club opens this week, it looks very nice, a bit smaller than I had imagined. It's a great value hotel but not in the same league as some of the others, once they've ironed out some teething problems it'll be much better. I wouldn't stay there again as I like to try different hotels but I would recommend this hotel. Contact me if you have any queries I might be able to help with.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Alie C
Reviewed May 16, 2011

We stayed at the Tropicana because it boasted a South Beach vibe and we were not disappointed. We especially enjoyed the pool area and Cafe Nikki where you can sit outdoors overlooking the gardens. There were renovations happening while we were there but this did not interfere with our stay. The pool action was terrific!

Room Tip: Book directly thru Tropicana to avoid resort fee.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Crusty1

Thank you for your review. I am happy to share with you that Nikki Beach and Club Nikki are now open, so the renovations there are complete! There is also outside dining there as well. Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com

Reviewed May 16, 2011

Let me start this off by saying that I looked over every last possible review of Tropicana before booking. I contacted Nicole Marshall as you will notice many people say. She was absolutely awesome. Did it take her a minute to get back with us? Of course. But imagine how many emails she must get a day from ppl wanting some sort of deal, "hook up" or assistance with something for their upcoming trip.

Anyway, from the moment we arrived at Tropicana, we were greeted with warmth, friendliness and a smile. Our room was absolutely SPECTACULAR. It was a Penthouse Loft and it was just amazing. What I loved most about the room was the small dining table on th lower level. A lot of suites make the mistake of having some huge dining table that takes up most of the room as if you will have a huge sit-down dinner in your hotel. However, I did end up having a dinner in once and from our windows were able to look out onto the strip while enjoying our meal.

The jacuzzi upstairs in the bathroom was ridiculous. It was so deep that a "little person" standing in it would drown if the water was filled. Again, there was an awesome view of the strip from the tub.

As for the rest of the hotel, I would have been content to just stay there at night. The casino isn't too large and unlike my voyages into other casinos and hotels, I didn't get lost when trying to leave.

The band playing in the Ahmbar Lounge was SPECTACULAR. After a night out, I'd often headed back to the lounge only to wish I'd have stayed there in the first place. They played modern songs and encouraged audience participation. The bartenders were AWESOME and the Berry Beach drink had me tipsy before I was finished with the first.

I got a cabana during my stay and it was totally worth it. The cabanas are GORGEOUS. All white with a few red and island accents. Many hotels make you pay a large amount of money for a cabana and then on top of that, you buy your drinks and food. Tropicana charged us an amount and it included that set amount's worth of drinks. Completely worth it.

I am from Texas. I am used to seasonings, flavor and tad bit of spice in my food. After visiting several Vegas restaurants, I was left disappointed in Vegas food. I'd wished I'd packed some Tony Cachere's seasoning in my purse. I'd given up and accepted the fact that in other areas, people just don't cook the way I'm used to. Then I went to Bacio inside the hotel. Our waiter was absolutely delightful and our meals (Chicken Parmesan and Filet with Lobster Hash) were the best food we had in Vegas...seriously. I still dream of the lobster hash some nights. HA! It made me wish I had taken the time to visit Biscayne while there. I did, however, have some of the Spicy Havana Nights sushi rolls while at the pool and those were pretty good as well.

The only issue I ran into was WiFi. It was spotty and sometimes worked and other times did not. Not a huge deal as I wasn't planning on working while there, but when trying to use my Nook to purchase a book to read while relaxing, I ran into some issues. Of course, this was a level 1 problem on a scale of 1 - 10 in my book.

I've seen complaints of the section of the Strip. To each his own, I suppose. We ended up walkign down to Venetian once or twice but really, we would have been content to just stay on our end. I love NY,NY's rollercoaster. There is a small food court between MGM and Tropicana. We went to Excalibur for ice cream one night after clubbing and walked to MGM for KA on our last night. For me, everything I really needed was in that area of the Strip unless I wanted to venture out to sightsee the rest of the Strip. However, this was trip number 4 for me and I've seen the rest of the Strip.

For those who say the walk to the other tower was bad, I disagree. While my room was in the main tower, I'd gone exploring the hotel once and the walk wasn't that bad. Was it a minute or two? Yes. But hardly the hiking trip many ppl have made it seem.

In conclusion, I would readily stay at The Tropicana again. It wasn't too large, the staff was awesome and while I had never seen the hotel previous to my trip - it was beautiful in my opinion. I have stayed at Venetian before as well as Treasure Island and I would, without a doubt, choose Tropicana again. From the lounge, to the staff, to the calm but fun pool to the DYNAMITE Bacio - I was impressed.

6  Thank Meghuneyntyson
Reviewed May 15, 2011

We stayed here May 12-15th. Our flight was 3 hours late so we got to hotel about 3am- the lady @ check in was so kind, engaged us in conversation and was very pleasant - wonderful first impression.

We had a room with a queen bed - room was beautiful - nice that they have safes large enough to stow your laptop. Ours wouldn't let us set the code so we called down to the front desk and security was in our room in less than 5 min to fix the problem. The cleaning staff was so kind, curteous and friendly as well. The room was spotless - very crisp and clean !

The beds are AMAZINGLY comfortable - wish I could have brought it home with me - slept like a baby there! The bathroom is large with plenty of space, large flat screen tv's , loved the decor. Perfect amount of space to relax in!

The resort fee per day is 9.99 - one of the cheapeast on the strip - we used our internet - and the connection was great - I think once it was slow but otherwise , no problems!

Some will say the hotel is small - well compared to MGM and Venetian , yes it may be smaller but that's what we loved about it - you dont' have to walk 2 miles just to get through the casino and then get to your room - I liked that it was easy to navigate !!

The pool was large enough to accomodate everyone - I like that part of it is in the shade so if you get really hot/sunburned , you can chill in the cooler areas. We got lucky both days with finding lounge chairs but it can get crowded - I do have to give kuddos to the lifeguards/employees who were always helping guests locate chairs - they really went above and beyond with customer service.

We didn't utilize any of the restaurants in the resort as we were traveling on a budget but they did have a 24 hour starbucks and small cafe type place which is really nice.

I love the location - it's not in the middle of the strip but it's close to alot of the bigger hotels to go sightseeing and you can take monorail or bus down the strip or just walk.

The Nikki Beach area wasn't open yet - they are still finishing construction but we never were woke up by it. It looks like it will be really cool once it's all complete

Oh and don't forget the 24 hour hot tubs - OMG - that was WONDERFUL - especially after a day of walking all over the strip - total relaxation for sore muscles - take advantage of it - there are 2 of them!

I highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Vegas, It will definitely be at the top of my list next time I go. Thanks Tropicana for such a wonderful stay and for all your friendly staff.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
6  Thank msthang22

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a detailed review. I apologize about the safe issue but am happy to hear someone was able to assist you in under 10 minutes. To help with a budget on your next visit, purchase the Taste of the Trop cards. You get $25.00 in credit on the card for $20.00 (It's like a 20% discount) and you can use the card at any dining outlet or bar! I am also happy to let you know that NIkki Beach and Club Nikki are now open! On your next visit, I would love to be able to personally assist you. Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com