“Just in the right spot” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel

Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #96 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Australia
“Just in the right spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2011

We stayed at the Tropicana for 5 nights during one of the busiest weeks they have had in Vegas for 18 months. When planning for our trip I didn't realise that the construction & concrete conference was being held the same week as our visit. There was around 150,000 delegates in attendance so needless to say the strip was way busy and to be able to cross the walkway to the Tropicana and get away from the packed strip was great. It was like a haven amongst the bedlam.

After researching other huge themed hotels/casinos we decided that they weren't for us. I contacted Nicole Marshall at the Tropicana who provided answers to my questions and gave us a great rate considering the other events in LV. We chose the the Tropicana because it is not as big as some other casinos and for us this was important and upon reflection as great decision. The gambling area was adequate and comfortable, service great and the rooms (we stayed in the Paradise tower) were more than adequate. We had upgraded to a suite, ours was like a 1 bedroom apartment, with a 15th floor room with a view of the strip. We could sit at the window with a glass of wine and look out at New York, New York, MGM and Excalibur, and marvel at the sights.

The rooms were very clean, the furnishings top class. the bathroom was large and modern. Checkin and checkout was handled very efficiently.

Well done to the Tropicana, we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank greatimes4ever

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,633)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Corpus Christi, Tx
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2011

Booked the Tropicana after finding an excellent deal package. I'm so happy I did. The Tropicana was CLEAN, smelled great and had excellent customer service. Our room was nice with a great view of the strip and right next to NY NY, MGM, Mandalay Bay and Excalibur. The beds were super comfortable it made getting up in the morning difficult. Everything has been remodeled and looks great. It is located on one end of the strip near the airport so there will be a short walk to the center of the strip but hey its vegas and everyone should walk the strip and take in all the sights. There is still some construction going on in the pool but it didn't affect our stay because the main pool area was open. There was a couple of times when we could hear the construction early in the morning but it wasn't that big of deal..The best part of the Trop....loose slots! I played the Wheel of Fortune and I won 400 bucks! Others around me were winning too. This was the only hotel we hit at. I have stayed at other hotels such as Harrah's, Monte Carlo, Polo Towers and even Encore and I have to say Tropicana has been my favorite so far. Definitely worth it and the price is great.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank TxAndi
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2011

Four days at the Tropicana were more than enough for me. To start with the positive, the hotel’s staff were uniformly pleasant and helpful, from the door staff and front desk right through housekeeping. Brad Garrett’s Comedy Club is fantastic, and if you get a chance to see comedian Michael Loftus when you are in Vegas, take it! The guy had our diverse group crying.
On the down side, the awful odor of fake coconut that pervades the property is truly nauseating, and even extends to the restaurants. I’d guess that since the hotel likely has a higher proportion of chain smokers than many others in Vegas, they are trying to compensate with the Smell-O-Vision, but it doesn’t work. That, along with bright orange 1970s-era carpeting and a preponderance of trashy clientele (even by Vegas standards) made me regret my choice.

The Tropicana’s location at the end of the Strip gets annoying very quickly, especially when you realize that its amenities (many still under construction) don’t measure up to the rest of the Strip. The restaurants, like many in Vegas, are staffed by well-meaning but untrained waiters. The pasta restaurant served me a $22 plate of the “house special” rigatoni which was simply inedible. The waiter did ask me how the food was, 20 minutes after serving it.
While adequate, our room was nothing like the others noted in reviews below, lacking a fridge, coffee maker, or new decor. We weren’t offered any “free upgrades”, and we were charged a steep $75 for a late checkout at 5 p.m.
The verdict: you can do a lot better for the same price in Vegas, and even the best staff can’t make up for a remote location and a bad smell. The comedy club is worth the long walk from your hotel on the Strip.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TioPablo
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2011

We ate at Biscayne...top notch service, excellent food presentation and such delightful tastes on every item our party of 4 ordered! The hotel renovations are truly noticeable and pleasing to the eyes, a nice mix of the new and the old. So nice that the hotel wasn't blown up to make room for something new, which isn't always better. Gladys Knight show as so much fun! She has energy, an excellent band and singers, and most of all, she sounded just exceptional. She is very humble and genuine, unlike many performers. Overall, the Tropicana was delightful and we will go back for sure!!!

Omaha, NE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2011

I've been to Vegas many times. I always enjoy my visits, partly because I'm a pretty low maintenance person and partly because I'm prepared to roll with the punches to make the very BEST of my precious vacation time. We decided to stay at the Tropicana this trip, and I was so impressed with the place that it may become my new "regular" hotel.

The service started before we ever left home. I emailed Nicole Marshall with some questions and requests, and she responded promptly with all the information I wanted. Hooray! I did not run into one grumpy or rude staff member the whole time I was there. Our waiter at Bacio was particularly awesome, as was the woman who checked us out. I wish I could remember their names to give them proper credit, but I'm terrible at that. One evening we needed more towels, and housekeeping was at our door within ten minutes, towels in hand.

The room was fabulous. We got a suite in the Paradise Tower with a beautiful view of the Strip ... we could see MGM, Excalibur, NYNY and Monte Carlo quite well. We had a coffee maker, a refrigerator with bottled water, a desk, a couch, a nice chair with ottoman, a big flat screen TV and a bureau in the living room area. In the bedroom, of course, there was a cushy, inviting King bed, another TV, another chair, a closet with full length mirrored doors, two nightstands, and a safe large enough to store our laptop computer with plenty of space to spare. It was clean and spacious, and if there weren't a thousand things to do in Vegas, I could've spent hours just enjoying the room! Our room was cleaned and our amenities were replenished daily. FYI, they have hair dryers in the rooms, and they provide some pretty good smelling shampoo, conditioner, body wash and lotion if you want to travel lighter and leave yours behind!

The casino was pleasant and enjoyable. I only play slots, so my opinion doesn't factor in table games, but they had a good variety of slots. I didn't win big, but if I held that against a property, I'd have to dislike MOST places in Vegas! The good news is that I didn't lose big, either. And although the casino is a bit smaller than surrounding ones, I liked it because I never felt disoriented.

We ate once at Cafe Nikki and once at Bacio, and both meals were good. It's true that the Tropicana doesn't presently have a huge variety of eating options, but being located within easy walking distance to other places made it an absolute non-issue for us.

The pool and hottubs were fantastic. Even though it was fairly busy while we were there, we found chairs by the pool pretty easily. My only complaint, and it's a minor one, is that if you want to use the hottub at night after the pool closes, there are no towels available nearby. So be prepared to bring towels from your room if you go down after 7 pm for a soak. During the day, there was ample staff to provide us with towels and drinks poolside!

Go stay there and enjoy yourself!

2 Thank BrendaJ73
TropLV, Guest Relations Manager at Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a detailed review, we really appreciate the feedback. I am so glad that your stay exceeded all your expectations, that is our ultimate goal. Thank you for bringing the lack of late night towels to our attention and we have already rectified that to ensure there are towels 24/7! Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2011

Got a good deal... was not expecting much. The hotel has had a awesome makeover!! the casino and lobby have a very south beach feel.
The rooms are all redone Tommy Bahama style! The cozy bed & bedding were my favorite part! The view of the strip was amazing!! To top it off there was a Keurge coffee maker in my room!!

Room Tip: Get a strip view!!!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Cheld702
Thank you for your review. I am glad you had an amazing visit and hope to see you on your next staycation. Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2011

We stayed in the MGM last year and it was big and impersonal. This year, we stayed in the Tropicana and loved it. Very easy to get to, lovely friendly staff, no shortage of booze when gambling!! There were 4 of us travelling and we all loved it. Can't wait to go back there...when all the renovations are done it'll be great.

Room Tip: Ask for a Strip view!
1 Thank alanmansfield
Thank you for your feedback and making the trek from Ireland to visit! Anytime after June would be a perfect time to visit to see the opening of Nikki Beach and Club Nikki! -Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com