Four days at the Tropicana were more than enough for me. To start with the positive, the hotel’s staff were uniformly pleasant and helpful, from the door staff and front desk right through housekeeping. Brad Garrett’s Comedy Club is fantastic, and if you get a chance to see comedian Michael Loftus when you are in Vegas, take it! The guy had our diverse group crying.
On the down side, the awful odor of fake coconut that pervades the property is truly nauseating, and even extends to the restaurants. I’d guess that since the hotel likely has a higher proportion of chain smokers than many others in Vegas, they are trying to compensate with the Smell-O-Vision, but it doesn’t work. That, along with bright orange 1970s-era carpeting and a preponderance of trashy clientele (even by Vegas standards) made me regret my choice.
The Tropicana’s location at the end of the Strip gets annoying very quickly, especially when you realize that its amenities (many still under construction) don’t measure up to the rest of the Strip. The restaurants, like many in Vegas, are staffed by well-meaning but untrained waiters. The pasta restaurant served me a $22 plate of the “house special” rigatoni which was simply inedible. The waiter did ask me how the food was, 20 minutes after serving it.
While adequate, our room was nothing like the others noted in reviews below, lacking a fridge, coffee maker, or new decor. We weren’t offered any “free upgrades”, and we were charged a steep $75 for a late checkout at 5 p.m.
The verdict: you can do a lot better for the same price in Vegas, and even the best staff can’t make up for a remote location and a bad smell. The comedy club is worth the long walk from your hotel on the Strip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Tropicana Las Vegas - a DoubleTree by Hilton redefines the expectations of today's global travelers with a casually elegant experience on the Las Vegas Strip and a convenient location just minutes from the airport, major convention centers and top entertainment stadiums. The hotel features all-new rooms, suites and luxury villas that evoke the sentiment of a breezy beach house or penthouse in Miami, a fresh redesign of the 50,000-square-foot casino, several award-winning restaurants; including Robert Irvine's Public House which opened in 2017, Oakville Steakhouse a Napa Inspired Steakhouse, and Bacio Italian Cuisine. Other amenities include an award winning pool surrounded by palm trees, lush landscaping and flowing waterfalls, and Glow(R), a Mandara Spa and fitness center. Top entertainment includes David Goldrake Imaginarium, Rich Little, our Laugh Factory comedy club and live music in the Tropicana Lounge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Hilton Hotels Direct, Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Cancelon, HotelsforEveryone, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, HotelQuickly, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelsClick so you can book your Tropicana Las Vegas - A DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tropicana Las Vegas Hotel Las Vegas
- Tropicana Resort Las Vegas
- Tropicana Hotel Las Vegas