“Unimpressed” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #103 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
“Unimpressed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2005

This was our first trip to Vegas, and after a conference at another hotel, we moved to the Monte Carlo for the last night in Vegas. For frame of reference, as far as hotels go most Hampton Inns provide all of the amenities we prefer in a hotel room.

Check-in was fairly straight forward and quick. While there were dozens of people milling around near the checkin, we walked right up to an available employee and were able to check in immediately even though it was a Friday on a 3 day holiday weekend.

The room we were given was a handicapped accessible room. The bathroom was very big, but it wasn't a wise use of space. The tub was small and shallow as you'd expect in a HC room, but the hand held shower was abysmal. We called getting washed 'taking a drizzle' it was so bad. The bedroom was nicely decorated though the room smelled of an overpowering deodorizer. We had to crack the window (that's all it did, crack slightly) but it was a windy day so the room aired out quickly.

We had a decent view looking up the Strip. Unfortunately the windows were deperately in need of a washing. Given this was our third hotel with filthy windows, I began to wonder if there just werent' any window washers in Vegas.

Important note, there is Internet access in the room, but no wireless access. There is also no coffee maker in the room...a definitive -2 stars in our book.

The casino looked like we'd expected a european themed casino would look...slightly classier than most of what we had seen on the Strip. But, the gambling was still the same as anywhere else.

We only ate at the Cafe while staying here. On the first day we ate dinner, both getting the "Steak Sandwich" dinner for about $10. The steak was a little gristly, and perhaps a bit too tough for a sandwich, but it was tasty, and came with a 1/2 plate of greasy but crunchy shoe-string fries. We ate breakfast there the next morning...the over-easy eggs were a touch undercooked, the biscuits and gravy a bit light on the sausage and on seasoning, but on the whole it was fairly decent breakfast. Oddly, both times were were asked if we were paying cash or charging to the room...as if paying by credit card was something they didn't expect. Of course, they took cards, just odd how they phrased the question.

We didn't do the pool, but it certainly looked somewhat more inviting than others we'd seen on the strip. At least there was shade and greenery around the pools so we of the light skin could be outside and not in the sun.

Conveniently located next to the hotel is a CVS. This one store was a budget saver for us on the trip since I don't think Vegas has learned what a drinking fountain is and the casino shop water was a bit pricey.

The only complaint we have is not about the hotel specifically, but the guests who were near us. As is typical, doors into the rooms tend to be grouped side by side and across the hall from one another. Unfortunately the doors and the frames slam shut very loudly, especially between the hours of 2 and 5 am. They are also very loud when room service shows up at 3:45 and knocks on the door across the hallway.

All told, for $200/night, the Monte Carlo is a big waste of money. For $100 and if you get quiet, considerate neighbors, it wouldn't be so bad. But given a choice, we'd not stay here again.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,265)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2005

I just wanted to let people know who have never stayed at the hotel that the pool is in the shade of the hotel for most of the day. If you are hoping for sun, go someplace else, as the sun doesn't come around the building until late in the afternoon. If you are "sun-adverse", this is perfect for you!

• Stayed October 2002
10 Thank PapaBlair

Travelers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2005

Our first trip to Las Vegas was good and bad. We joined three other couples at the Monte Carlo for a special 60th birthday celebration. The lobby check-in seemed very disorganized and there were no seats in the entire area. Our room was not ready so we waited in our friends room while they went down to the Casino. I must have called the desk five times in three hours waiting for a room and bed for my suddenly sick husband. Finally at 3:00 I called the desk and told them they have to do something to get us a room. It was my suggestion that they just give us a different room. The reply was "Well, I guess we could". This started off the feeling that since we were not "high rollers" that we certainly were not important guests. We paid $20 extra each night for a high view. This turned out to be a good thing as my husband didn't leave the room, eat or gamble for 2 1/2 days. The housekeepers were very nice, our room was spotless. I think the bath towels could have been larger and maybe leave 4 instead of three. The pillows were the smallest I have ever seen although the bed was very comfortable. The food court,cafe and buffet were all clean and served excellent food. I had to leave the hotel to find suitable OTC medicine for my husband. I did not like walking at night by myself even if it was just "nextdoor". The Casino floor was not crowded or smokey. The slot machines were not too loud as I found in most all the other casinos. The walls were very thin as we could hear the toilets and showers on both side of us. The casino let us win $20-50 several times, so it kept our money in-house. The staff members were always helpful and courteous. The Bell staff held onto our luggage for several hours before we left for the airport and couldn't have been nicer. The Monte Carlo is OK, but I would stay somewhere else next visit. They need to hook up with the street trolley or tram system for the convenience of it's guests.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Decatur, IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2005

Stayed at the Monte Carlo w/3 other couples from Oct. 10 to the 14th. Rooms were clean, but noisy when neighbors showered, or made love ( awakened at 4 AM, yikes!). Beds were comfy, but could've had better and more pillows. Pool was nice, but somewhat shady until the afternoon. Plus, it closed at 6 PM. Food court was handy. Discovered food court next door at New York was much better and pretty easy to get to from the Monte Carlo. Member in our group rode a scooter and everything was accessable. Casino was generous in small payouts, easy to navigate and less smokey than others. Do not waste the extra $20 a night for a room w/a view! What a joke! Buffet was pretty good, but go to the Aladdin Spice Market buffet, yummy! And the best so far. The Market Street Cafe had delicious food and generous portions. Overall we were satisfied, but would try somewhere else next time.

Stayed October 2005
7 Thank lucy&ricky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2005

We stayed at the Monte Carlo for our 3Oth Wedding Anniversary we stayed for 14 nights and found the hotel to be Exellent the standard of the room was very good(especialy the comfortable bed). The Bar/Brewery was ideal, food and beer selection very good.The pool area was small by comparison to the size of the hotel but was good with plenty of beds and helpfull pool staff.The dining was first class with the food court being very handy for just a snack. The location was very good as the hotel was in the middle of most of the big hotels.We cant wait to go back to the Monte Carlo. Lee and Carol.. England

• Stayed July 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Iowa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the MC Oct. 2-6, 2005 to celebrate his 40th birthday. It was our first time in Vegas but we'll definitely go back - probably not to the MC though. Check in was fine but I got the impression that the person wanted a tip. I've never tipped for check in before so I didn't start. Maybe I should have because the room we were given wasn't the best. The view was of the pool area - that was fine with us as we're not that picky about the view. Our complaints consisted of the drain in the tub/shower not draining well (I was standing in about 6 inches of water by the end of my shower!) and the room not being cleaned well. I called the front desk to complain about both. There was a tennis ball on the floor from a previous guest so I know they don't pay attention to detail. The person I spoke with put me on hold then offered me 2 free buffets when she got back on the line. She said that both problems would be taken care of and she did apologize. I thought all would be fine but when we came back in after being out for the day the tennis ball was still on the floor - even though the room had been "cleaned." Seeing that I decided to check on how well the tub drained. It was still extremely slow. I ran the water for about a minute and it took several minutes for it to drain. I called back down and I could tell they were a little more frustrated this time with me. They called maintenance and were told that they had fixed the problem. I told them that it hadn't been fixed to our satisfaction so they offered to "upgrade" our room. We had to pack up everything and move ourselves to a different floor. The only "upgrade" I could see was that we were on a higher floor with a view of the strip (not a great one!) The room actually appeared to be smaller and I didn't like the layout as well. However, we kept it because the drain worked and it appeared to be cleaner than the first one.

We did hear the plumbing noise that others have mentioned but we didn't have any hall noise in either room. We couldn't hear our neighbors either. We were in a non-smoking room and didn't smell any smoke on our floor.

We did use the free buffets and I will say the food was good. There was a lot of variety and our waiter was very attentive.

As far as the casino goes, it was always less crowded than the others we visited. We never won at the MC and were never offered a drink while playing. Actually, the only casinos we were offered a drink at were NYNY and Caesars.

Other than the MC buffet we chose to stay away from the rest of them. We ate at Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville one night - decent food and enjoyed the band. We ate at Toby Keith's I Love This Bar and Grill for lunch - tons of food! And, the wings were tasty. Also, they give out free liquor at the bar whenever his song "I Love this Bar" plays. Another fantastic meal was at Mesa Grill. We ate there for lunch because the we knew the dinner menu would be too pricey for us. The food was delicious but you have to like southwest style and be open to things other than burgers and fries (they do offer an "upscale" version of that though.) Our lunch ran around $70 for 2 of the peach margaritas, an appetizer and two entrees.

All in all we had a great time in Vegas - the only downside to the whole trip was our ordeal with our first room at the MC. I think we'll look into staying somewhere else next time.

11 Thank RfamilyLIKES2travel
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2005

I stayed at the Monte Carlo with my Mom for my 21st birthday from Oct 5th-11th 2005. Oveall I would say the hotel was pretty nice. I have been to Vegas once before, but I was 15 and on an organized trip, so I stayed in the dorms at UNLV. While I don't have much grounds for comparison within other hotels and rooms in Vegas, we did walk around other hotels, and I've done quite a bit of travelling for someonen my age. I would say that Caesars and Bellagio were nicer, this was probably equivalent if not a little bit less nice than NYNY, but it was nicer than Rio and Palms (and it's in a great location!).

Rooms were nice... we had a "strip view" (the first night was room 21313, and the next five were 22305). This meant we could partially see the strip, but we had a very large view of a gravel unfinished area... We had two queen beds which were nice and clean.. nice bathroom.. only thing that sucked was not having a balcony (but I hear that none of the Vegas hotels do!).

Room service food was GREAT. I'm a vegan so I had the garden burger with fries, and a pasta with veges and tomato sauce.. both were incredible. The fries are out of this world. My Mom had the chicken quesadillas and she said they were good.

The casino was nice... typical of a Vegas hotel. The first day my Mom won (of course she didn't come out on top by the end of the week lol) so she liked the casino.

There's a tram that takes you from MC to Bellagio, but most of the time we were there it wasn't running... that sucked.

As for the pool... it is very nice, but there is not a lot of POOL itself. It is broken up into different areas (with a small ave pool as well) with lots of trees area. Obviously what that means is that there is mainly shade everywhere. The only section where you can get sun all day long is facing the tennis courts (not near the pool), and this only starts at around 11am.

Overall, I had a great trip. The hotel was a good deal (its like half the cost of Bellagio), so if you are looking for a great value, I would say this is it!

17 Thank stephkat