“Monte Carlo, Las Vegas”

GreenLeadersGold level
NL
“Monte Carlo, Las Vegas”
Reviewed July 21, 2009

My husband, teenager and I recently vacationed for three weeks in the US (we are Canadians). We arrived in LA, stayed in Anaheim, Palm Springs and then in Vegas for the final 10 days of our vacation. This was our third visit to Vegas and each time we've stayed in different hotels. This trip we stayed at the Monte Carlo because of the three pool areas, especially the lazy river. The lazy river was what we expected but that was the only fun thing about the Monte Carlo.

We arrived in our room with a view looking through windows that had not been cleaned in years. The view was overlooking an awful construction area. Not pleasant. The Monte Carlo must be a very old hotel that has never been renovated. The room we were first assigned had large chunks of wood missing from the furniture, dark stains all over the carpet, very old-style tv, and the comforters on the beds looked like they were put there in 1980, washed from time-to-time but still old. It looked like someone urined on the desk chair. The bathroom had the same overall feeling. My thought is that when you walk into a hotel room you should never feel like a million people stayed there. But that is exactly how it was. The hotel moved us twice and the third time the room was better than the first two but not by much. We had prepaid for our room for ten nights and the hotel would not give us a full refund so we stayed there. We had prepaid months before arrival and received the summer special with a buffet 2 for 1. Don't bother going to the buffet. It is terrible - nothing but pig slop. For the Monte Carlo We paid $79 some nights and during the weekend we paid $189 per night so the hotel was not cheap.

As mentioned, we were in California and Vegas all total three weeks. We stayed at a Howard Johnson in Anaheim, a Holiday Inn in Palm Springs and those hotels were great. My advice to anyone is do not stay at the Monte Carlo. I won't be staying there ever again or when I return in October! I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT!

2 Thank NlCat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,361)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cincinnati
Reviewed July 21, 2009

Stayed at the Monte Carlo July 12th - 15th! It was a great stay loved the pool area and the atmosphere around the pool area! Our room was a suite on the 30th floor and that was awesome also! There was a Hot tub, steamer shower, and bar area! I was amazed to see there was no flat screen in the room! The view was incredible and that alone would have me go back! The hotel is self if average it wasnt like the others we visited on the strip! Would I stay here again sure, the staff is friendly and casino mood at this hotel is always joyful!

1 Thank Cleverman00
dayton ohio
Reviewed July 20, 2009

I wanted to surprise my wife and her friends on their first visit to Las Vegas with champagne and chocolate covered strawberries when they first walked into their room at the Monte Carlo Hotel. I made several calls to the hotel and was told everytime that they could not have the items in the room until after they had checked in which ruins the surprise/wow factor. Even though they had reservations I was told that the rooms were not assigned until they checked in. The statement below was taken directly from the hotels web site. I guess the key phrase is "upon their arrival".

Do you have a loved one, friend or a family member staying with us? Would you like to show them you are thinking about them even though you couldn’t make it out this trip?
We have just the thing for you. Arrange to send them a gift upon their arrival with a card and share that little something extra.
Choose from our incredible list of choices, starting with strawberries and champagne to a relaxing spa basket, and we will make it happen as if you were here.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

Winnipeg
Reviewed July 19, 2009

my wife and daughter and I stayed on the first part of our weeklong stay at this hotel, as we heard good things about it and wanted to try it out. We checked in on a Sunday afternoon and found an almost deserted hotel. The recession is really taking it's toll, I guess.
The check in was fast and our agent was very professional.
When we checked into our room, it was apparent thatteh air conditioning was out on our floor. The room was clean, however as my picture shows, it was lacking in updated bedding and the room needed a refresh of undinged furniture and nightstand.
As we were basically using the room for sleeping, it wasn't a major issue.
We used the restaurants, food court, spa, pool and casino on this trip. We found the staff very accomodating. As a few of the restaurants were under construction, our options were few. Diablo's, as i've experienced before, lived up to its reputation as a great palce for drinks and people watching, and not a bad mexican themed menu to boot.
The buffet was lacking quality entree items. The cafe was much better in this regard!
For the money we paid, we were very happy overall.
If you can overlook a tired guestroom, this is a great hotel in a great location!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank Billyp27
Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed July 18, 2009

Monte Carlo is an amazing hotel for the price! I stayed here on a trip with 4 other girls and we got 2 rooms. When checking in they had put us on different floors and after asking to see if there was anything closer we ended up being right across the hall from each other. The customer service was friendly and efficient during both checkin and checkout.

The location is great. It's about 3/4 of the way down the strip so you're not ALL the way at the end. It's great for walking up on one side of the Strip, and turning around and walking down the other side. It's near some other major hotels such as MGM Grand and New York, New York so it's not all by itself and it does see a lot of traffic.

I came down with the flu while I was in Vegas so spent quite a bit of time in the hotel room in bed, and I can safely say that they were really comfortable! We had no problems with air conditioning at all, that all worked fine and was nice to have. The bathrooms were very roomy and clean with nice granite countertops. Lots of counterspace which is great for a room full of girls getting ready.

The room service staff were really nice, as when I was sick all I wanted was either some plain toast with butter and flat Gingerale, or chicken noodle soup. While this wasn't really on the room service menu, when I called them and asked they gave me a few options that they thought would be good for someone who was sick. As most room serivce (anywhere) is expensive I would try to avoid that if you're trying to watch the spending.

I only went down to the pool area once and for a short time, but the girls I travelled with were able to spend a day at the pool and said that finding an open chair wasn't too difficult (as I've stayed at other hotels in Vegas which sometimes are near impossible to find an open beach chair) and they LOVED the lazy river. It's nice to be able to float around lazily in an innertube and stay cool while soaking up some sun. There were enough palm trees around to offer some shade if you wanted it as well.

For a 3-star hotel and the price that comes with it, Monte Carlo felt like a 4 star hotel with great value. Out of the other hotels in it's 3-star class, I would definitely choose Monte Carlo again over any of them.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
5 Thank jls1986
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed July 18, 2009

My wife and I stayed here in the middle of July, 2009, and we had a great experience. The front desk staff was very accomadating and provided us with a terrific room, a Monaco suite. The room was spacious and well designed. We had no problems finding a machine to play on or a table to play at during the entire week. The pool area was very nice and the lazy river, although crowded, was relaxing. The new parking garage is a recent addition and very convenient. It is well lit and there was a security person at all times. We will be looking forward to our next trip to Vegas and plan to stay at the Monte Carlo.

2 Thank Lucky032
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed July 16, 2009

If you want action and convenience this is the place to stay. It is a little pricey, but hey it's Vegas! The staff are very accommodating and well organised. The parking service was EXCELLENT! The pools were wonderful and the casino even has its own food court. The only things we didn't like (which are probably common in Vegas) was the Casino is very smokey and at times the room was a little noisy from the pool music and construction work. When we checked in they did give us an option of a higher floor facing the strip for an extra $20 a night. Had we of decided to take up the offer I'd probably have nothing to complain about. From reading other reviews I had mixed feeling about staying here, but I guess everyone has had differing experiences and some people are fussier than others. I'd recommend staying here!

4 Thank OzTraveller81