“Average Hotel, OK if you get a good deal.”

Monte Carlo Resort & Casino
Ranked #116 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 12, 2009

I have stayed in 8 different hotels over 6 visits to Vegas. Monte Carlo is average at best. If I had payed full price I would have been very disappointed. If you can get a great deal, and are looking for an average room, consider the Monte Carlo. The building looks very dated inside. The staff has a neutral attitude; not rude but not enthusiastic either. The casino was quiet as was the pool; some people bay find that appealing. The pool area is nice except that the City Center construction looms over it.

Our package included a bunch of "extras" that were pretty much useless. The free slots $$ offered is what anyone gets if they join the players club. The food court coupons were a bunch of buy item one get item 2 half off coupons. The 2 free buffets were good and the free spa passes would have been OK if we had used them.

The "2 drinks at Diablo's" coupon was useless because Diablo's is a joke. No staff, terrible service and a hostess that is perpetually talking on her cell phone.

We did not have a room on the City Center construction side, so I cannot comment on the construction noise.

The location is OK but the hotels on the other side of the strip are more convenient because that is the side the monorail is on.

We ate at the Dragon Noodle restaurant and enjoyed it very much. Good food, friendly staff, reasonable prices and good selection. I would recommend it.

Overall, Monte Carlo was kind of a let down but for the price we paid, it was OK. For a few $$ more, say $40.00 - $60.00 / night you can stay at much better hotels like MGM.

If you are looking for a quiet, average hotel on the strip, you can stay at Monte Carlo for around $45.00 / night right now.

6  Thank BcDarren

Reviewed April 12, 2009

We stayed April 9-11 and we thought overall the hotel was decent. We had the basic delux room. I thought the room was just fine, again nothing fancy, but it was clean and comfortable which is all I wanted. The furnishings were updated nicely. The only complaint we had was the water pressure in the shower wasn't great, and the faucet was dripping. We called the next morning to tell them about it and a guy came up to fix it and walked right in when we were still in bed partially naked. :O( But it wasn't traumatic! He was nice and apologized and came back later to fix everything to normal. They gave us 2 free buffet comps though which was nice to have for dinner. They are also building the new City Center next door, and I was woken up around 6am to beeping noises from trucks reversing and other construction noises. My husband slept through it though. I brought ear plugs from reading the other reviews and those helped ALOT! We stayed in room 236 on the 11th floor and it was the nearest to the construction. Overall it was tolerable for two people living in the Oregon country.

I think their amenities are ok. Compared to hotels like Planet Hollywood, MGM, Paris, etc... I think it is on the lower end. Their pool is a pool, but the others outdo it. We did like their Brand lounge, which they offered 2 for 1 drink deals. The buffet wasn't that great. The food was ok selection wise, and the flavors were ok. I am glad we didn't pay $18 pp for it.

I think the hotel is fine for the location and deals you can get there. I would have rathered stay at a hotel like PH, or Paris because of the location and amenities. It's nice to have shops closer.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MrandMrsTucker
Reviewed April 12, 2009

Another MGM property where they try to soak you for every penny they can. Extra costs: internet $14.99 per computer; no coffee or tea in room; $2.00 per page to print boarding passes.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank nosinabook
Reviewed April 11, 2009

Took this hotel as part of a USAir pkg. Hotel was clean right on the strip. Has several fast food and sit down restaurants on site so it's easy to make a choice without having to leave the property.
Make sure to tell the desk clerk that you do not want a room on the north side facing the construction of the new city centre. Talked to one person who made them change their rooms because of the noise.
If you're a senior, ask for a senior discount on coffee at McDonald's which opens at 6:00 AM. Can also get free refills. Great for early risers from the east.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
6  Thank tommychan
Reviewed April 7, 2009

I stayed at the Monte Carlo for 3 days recently with my mother and 2 adolescent daughters. The lobby of the hotel is relatively impressive, and check-in was fairly painless.

The room was not all that impressive. It was kind of small and a little dingy, though the bathroom was really nice. The beds were comfortable, except for the non-fitted sheets which did not want to stay on the mattress. I asked for a room away from the construction noise, and did not hear any of the construction noise while in my room, or elsewhere on the premises. I did hear noise from the adjoining rooms, and was awakened once around 4:00 a.m. by a couple of lovebirds in the room next door.

The pool area is nice, though it was a bit too chilly for us to swim while there. I didn't spend a lot of time in the casino, so can't really comment on it. The food court was very handy considering we had kids with us. We had the buffet once, and it was very good, especially the desserts. Much better than the Excalibur's, which is the only other Vegas buffet I've tried.

The biggest gripe I had is with the internet service. They advertise high speed internet for $14.99 a night. What I didn't learn until I got there was that that price is PER laptop (we had 3) and you can only use 1 laptop at a time, because it is not wireless. I ended up going with a service called Traveler's Wi-Fi, which was much cheaper, but I had a crappy connection the entire time I was there. There were probably better alternatives, but of course, I couldn't research them without an internet connection to begin with. I guess you don't go to Vegas to stay on the internet, but if that's something that's important to you, you might want to research it before you go.

Overall, it wasn't a bad experience, but definitely nothing to write home about.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank Misty B
Reviewed April 6, 2009

My husband and I plus four other couples recently stayed (March 28th through April 1st)
at the Monte Carlo. I was really worried when I read some of the reviews because I had done the booking for our whole group. All 10 of us agreed that we would stay there on our next visit to Las Vegas.
Our room was on the 27th floor and facing away from the construction. It was quiet, comfortable and clean. We upgraded so we could have a king-sized bed because there weren't any left at our price level. We paid $10 extra a night; however, it was comped when we checked out. I thought that it would be worth asking for. The casino host not
only comped the room but also the meals that were charged to our room.
Every service person we had contact with was helpful and courteous. We especially enjoyed the staff (Karen specifically) in the coffee shop.
The casino was quieter and smaller than a lot of the other casinos. It was easy to find
our way around.
We also liked having the food court close to the elevators.

7  Thank chubs255
Reviewed April 6, 2009

We stayed at this hotel 7 years ago and, apart from the lobby, the rooms have got very tired looking. We, like others on here asked for a room away from the construction but with a view of the strip. Well, the first room was on the 9th floor (?) and had a view over the roof of the multi-story car park and about an inch view of the MGM opposite! The next day we were moved to the 21st floor and although a better view it was still a very tired looking room and very dark. Do not order food in Sbarros on the casino floor as it was stone cold, over cooked and rubbery. Nothing good or spectacular stood out for us in this hotel and woud therefore never go back there. The next time we go we will stay at Ceasars Palace for its location, shopping and friendlier atmosphere.

1  Thank uklady