“Noisy Monte Carlo”

GreenLeadersGold level
Beijing
“Noisy Monte Carlo”
Reviewed October 2, 2008

We stayed here while my husband attended a business convention. Compared to some of the other hotels/resorts, the Monte Carlo is quite basic. It is an enormous hotel but doesn't have many in-room facilities, including no fridge and no tea or coffee making facilities. During the time that we stayed there a significant number of construction projects were happening along the strip, and in particulare next door to the Monte Carlo. Our room was very noisy the whole time as the construction was happening 24 hours per day, and included reversing beepers on trucks in the early hours of the morning. There was no consideration for hotel guests. For a cheaper option in Las Vegas, this hotel may be OK but it certainly doesn't have many facilities compared with some of the other hotels and resorts on the strip.

• Stayed September 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,388)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bury Lancs
Reviewed October 1, 2008

I have just returned from the fabulous Las Vegas but was very disappointed with the Monte Carlo hotel. My wife has been before and after falling foul of the XL Air fiasco we opted for a treat to vegas and booked a hotel last minute but known to be a good standard at a reasonable price. Sadly the hotel is now surrounded by building work including the pool area which looked and sounded like a scene from 1970's costa del sol. I realise that Vegas is a vastly growing city but would have enjoyed a moment of relative tranquility at the poolside.
Thankyou to expedia for arranging a swift move after one night to the treasure island which was suberb.
Leave the monte carlo alone unless you are a construction worker missing your hard hat.

• Liked — the facade
  • Disliked — pool area
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

Colorado Springs, CO
Reviewed October 1, 2008

The Monte Carlo looks great on the outside, but the rooms are pretty plain--especially for the Strip. The bathroom in the room was larger than expected, but everything else about the room wasn't very exciting. It wasn't bad, but nothing to get excited about.

The food court there was nice if you are looking for "normal" fast food and not wanting to spend a ton of money on expensive restaurants.

The location is pretty good being on the south side of the strip near NY, NY, Excalibur and the rest.

If you are looking for a no frills, decent hotel on the Strip, Monte Carlo might be it!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shaggyman
Gallatin, Tennessee
Reviewed October 1, 2008

We always try to stay at a different hotel each time we go to Vegas. Why not? There's so many choices. This time we decided to stay at the Monte Carlo.It had been closed from the fire and now reopened, we got a great deal, so why not? We checked in and asked if there were any upgrades and were told they were booked. But in the same breath, he announced that he was giving us a good room with a view. We went up to the room only to find on the non smoking floor, a room saturated with cigarette smell. Housekeeping should have informed the front desk. Anyway, back downstairs to the front desk. Given another room. When we arrived at the door, the electronic key wouldn't work. Back down to the front desk. By this time, I was already unhappy. The desk reissued the keys and we finally entered our room,not a great view, but no cigarette smell. Tired, we decided to order room service. No room service menu. The front desk was adamant that a menu had to be in the room. There was none, finally a menu arrived. We had no numbers on the phone, just holes where the plate should have been, so we didn't even know what number to call for room service, we had to call the front desk and ask for the number to room service. The toilet lid wouldn't stay up for the hubby, therefore he had to stand to the side, hold up the lid. The door on the TV stand wouldn't stay open, so we had to prop it open with a towel. The tub took forever to drain, and their was mold growing in the shower. Mold in the desert, that's a new one to me. The restaurants in the hotel was another hot topic. It took forever to be waited on in the cafe. On one occasion, we actually waited 15 minutes for someone to take our order, we finally just got up to leave and the desk insisted we pay for our coffee and tea, even though we explained that we had waited 15 minutes for someone to take our order, and we were leaving upset. Unbelievablely, they still insisted on payment. When no ticket could be located for the drink order, they finally said, forget it. We already had! There is no signs for the high roller line. After standing in a line for 10 minutes waiting to be seated, we were told that we were in the wrong line, when I asked how was I to know that, she explained there was no sign, I should have asked. I said we had been there on 2 other occasions, and never given this information. She said, "oh well". Customer service is not their strong suit, matter of fact, it is no where to be found on this property. The bed was the only thing great in this hotel. We had been given a room that had newer bedding, and it was great. Thank goodness for a good night's sleep, otherwise, we wouldn't have made it. Monte Carlo is defintely off our list of do overs.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed October 1, 2008

I go to Vegas 2-3 times per year and have always enjoyed my stays at the Monte Carlo. I have stayed at several different casinos on the strip, but always find myself back at the Monte Carlo. I have had a couple different hosts through the years - but they all take very good care of me whenever I am there - all I have to do is call or e-mail my schedule and everything is taken care of from the minute I arrive at the airport until the day I leave! I also appreciate that even though I am only there 2-3 times a year, many of the bartenders, cocktail waitresses and restaurant servers remember me, some by name. It's nice to have that sort of personal connection!! I highly recommend the Monte Carlo.

NorCal, USA
Reviewed September 29, 2008

Maybe I'm a little more laid back than some of the other reviewers but I loved this place. We booked a four night stay on the Monte Carlo website and got a great deal. All employees we spoke with were friendly, helpful and knowledgeable.

I had read alot about the construction and was a little apprehensive about staying there. My honey was going to a convention so I had planned to spend alot of time at the hotel enjoying the pool, guest room, spa & gym. When we booked we had asked for a King bed, smoking, hopefully not facing construction. As we were late arrivals the first night was spent in a two Queen, non-smoking looking at construction. We were promptly moved the next day to the perfect room. I had a view of the NewYork hotel, the Luxor pyramid behind that, and the gold windows of the Mandalay Bay as well as all the lights of suburban Las Vegas and the mountians beyond. This view at night was fantastic!

I actually liked the fact that the pool wasn't all sun all day; it's Vegas, I'm sure we'll appreciate some shade here & there. Melanoma and heatstroke are not part of my vacation plans! I was able to find sun or shade at any time at the pool and the music (I thought) was just loud enough. It could get a little crowded but not too bad.

The Spa was great. Well worth the 3-day spa/gym pass which gets you acess to the fitness center, steam room, sauna and locker room facilities. Clean, well stocked and tended to with great equipment. The gym is a little small but almost no one in there any time I went.

The bufett was sort of subpar for $20 per person, but it's a bufett, what are you expecting!?!?

All in all this was a great stay and I throughly enjoyed myself. I would book here again in a heartbeat. Money well spent!

• Liked — Pool Area, View, Customer Service
  • Disliked — No complaints!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank TikiTorcher
Dallas
Reviewed September 28, 2008

I just returned this afternoon from a 3 night stay on the 13th floor facing pool side. The room was clean, quite, comfortable, maybe renovated in the last few years by my guess. Yes, they are building a new development between the Monte Carlo and Bellagio. However as far as noise goes, that never seemed to be a problem for me. Even in the daytime when construction was going full out it never seemed that loud. The windows dampened the noise well. Slept next to the AC with the Fan set on high. Love those digital controls that let you set it the way you want it, precisely.

The staff is 5 points by me. All staff, at all times (front desk, operator, cashier) were very courteous and helpful. Example 1 Cafe Restaurant. This morning went to "Cafe" in kind of a hurry for the airport to get some French Toast. Shelly, one of the waitresses, notices that I'm in a bit of hurry and seats me on her own. I like that a lot. All the other staff who approached me were willing to take the order or do whatever. Example 2. Blackjack. Let me cut to the chase.. the dealers were working for me, they gave great advice, etc. That's all I'll say as to not get anyone in trouble with their bosses.

The Casino looks clean and well kept. It is not brand new, but it's certainly not run down.

Food: Had the pulled pork sandwich at Diablo's. Just a tad sweet for me, but still delicious and enjoyable. The French Toast this morning at Cafe was perfect. I'm I big French Toast fan and can't recall having that any that good; taste, texture, the whole deal. Usually even good French toast has a bit of that "spray on nonstick" flavor. This had none of those flaws. French toast and Milk ran me about $10.00. This is not a problem for me because I'm not expecting discount chain prices in an operation that has to be 24 hours, regardless of demand, on the strip. The Monte Carlo even has that covered with a food court including McDonalds, Subway, Pizza, and so on for the price conscious.

Did not have time to use the pool area but did a walk through since the Wave Pool, Lazy River, etc. looked pretty cool from my room. We have a family reunion at another resort pool but would like to have it here with the "fun stuff".

The location of this hotel in the strip was good for me. Next to MGM Grand, Bellagio, Paris, NY, NY and so on. Also Monte Carlo is right next to 24 hour CVS and Wallgreens which was perfect for my forgotten sunglass clip ons, bottled water stockpile, etc.

I would look to book here again when returning for a LV strip hotel that provides the best value.

• Liked — Service, Location, Competitive Price, Room, Pool Area
  • Disliked — Neighboring Construction consticting sidewalks
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo