“Value, Clean, Fun”

Ranked #116 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 5, 2014

The Monte Carlo is one of the best places to stay in Vegas! The rooms are a bit outdated, but they are clean and decent size. The casino is big enough where everything is available to play, but not so large that you would lose the other people you are with. I also didn't think it smelled terribly of smoke. The dealers were friendly and helped my boyfriend and I learn to play pai gow, which by the way is a super fun game if you haven't tried it. The pool area is great. There is a wave pool, a regular pool, and a lazy river. They play good music out there as well. The pub has good food and lots of choices for beer. The location of the Monte Carlo is one of the best things about it. There is a free tram to take you to Aria, Crystals, or Bellagio. The value is fantastic here. I definitely recommend Monte Carlo.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
MGM_Resorts, Guest Relations Specialist at Monte Carlo Resort & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

Dear K L,

We are grateful for your recommendation! Fantastic guests like you are the reason we constantly strive to offer an unsurpassed resort experience. Your satisfaction is our primary goal, and based upon your generous comments, it seems we were successful in our efforts. We appreciate your patronage, and hope to serve you again in the near future.

Kimberly M.
Guest Relations Specialist
guestrelations@montecarlo.com

Write a ReviewReviews (16,436)

Reviewed February 5, 2014

We stayed at the Monte Carlo as part of a flight/hotel package from Allegiant Air. We were grounded due to a blizzard. Allegiant still charged us for the first night even though we weren't able to stay there. However the Hotel was very nice. Staff was pleasant and didn't pester you for tips, the room was big and clean. Most definitely would choose the Monte Carlo again. The rates were very good as well.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear lawngopher,

Thank you for your kind recommendation! We are pleased to know that despite the blizzard, the remainder of your stay was enjoyable. Our staff is there to provide the highest level of service and support to all of our guests and they will appreciate your generous remarks. We cannot wait for your next stay at Monte Carlo!

Kimberly M.
Guest Relations Specialist

A TripAdvisor Member
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed February 4, 2014

This is a great place to stay for the value. It's a little smaller, so you don't feel lost. It's comfortable & not overwhelming. You can't really beat the location. The rooms are clean, and the staff are quite friendly.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
MGM_Resorts, Guest Relations Manager at Monte Carlo Resort & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Dear TripAdvisor Member,

Monte Carlo is a fantastic choice for any traveler looking to receive VIP treatment on a modest budget. Our affable staff of service professionals is here to provide a resort experience that is second to none in the hospitality industry. We appreciate your patronage, and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

I was comp'd four nights over the weekend of the "Big Game" as they call it. It happened that my birthday fell on the same weekend, so my friend and I checked it out. Full disclosure, I usually stay at Aria. I will try not to compare the two as they are apples and oranges.

The Good:
-Check in was a breeze. Didn't have to wait at all.
-Value. Granted my stay was "free" (haha, nothing is free in Vegas), I think if you could find a weekend room here for under $100 it wouldn't be a bad deal.
-Water bottles each day in your room. Okay, this seems like no big deal, but wow, it's amazing how many hotels don't offer this! It was so nice to come back to the room and have fresh water to drink. It goes a long way in terms of comfort. I don't drink coffee but there was also coffee in the room.
-Pool/Hot Tub. I was surprised the pool and hot tub were open in February, but was glad they were! The hot tub was hot, and the pool was warm... very very comfortable even in winter! Thanks for keeping the pool open (most hotels don't).
-Casino. It is not pretty or glamorous but it is small and easy to navigate which I like.
-Food options. I have a hard time eating at Aria because EVERYTHING is expensive (but amazing). MC has great options, from McDonalds for those who just want cheap, to Diablos for great Mexican (and reasonable price) to the high end Andres (didn't try it). All to say, there is something for everyone.
-Water pressure. The toilet flushes with gusto. The shower head is powerful. Love that.
-Beds were comfy enough... although the sheets were a bit weird and not fitted.
-Location. I think it is one of the best located hotels on the strip.
-Casual. You can wear your scrubbiest clothes and no one cares (and many people do... which is a bit of a negative, but hey, this place is not pretentious and I like that). You won't find a young hip crowd here, which I am just fine with (says the 31 year old!)

The Bad:
-OUTDATED. This hotel/casino is WAY overdue for a full update. It is getting an update to the front, but that really is just window dressing. I am talking complete room renovations.
-Drink service. It was SUPER slow or nonexistent while playing slots. The drinks are not good either.
-The staff. Honestly the only three positive experiences I had with staff were with casino host Richard, the Blue Man Group concierge Keith (who tried to help with refunding my Cirque tickets after the show got canceled) and the house keepers (who were lovely!). I had a very negative interaction with one of the mLife staff who was incredibly rude, many of the cocktail waitresses were unfriendly, and many of the other staff acted like they could care less about how your stay was.
-Elevators. They are slow. We stayed on the 28th floor and they just took a long time. I am guessing they are old, but should be replaced by high speed ones.
-The Rooms. Again, outdated and poorly maintained. My room had very broken lampshade. Not sure how this was missed. The carpet had burn marks. By the window the carpet was literally coming up... when you stepped on it it felt like you were on a bouncy house.
-Bathroom. Okay, this may have been the worst part, but not for why you would think. The bathroom is actually a decent size (we had a standard room). The soap was fine. GREAT water pressure (see above). What was bad was the actual shower/tub. VERY outdated. Worse than mine at home. It's a basic, old bathtub. Shower head, while had good pressure, was ugly and when you lifted the lever to switch from bath to shower, as much water was still coming out of the bath tap.
-Noise. The walls/door to the hall are paper thin. I would suggest asking for a room at the end of the hall. Although it is a longer walk, the halls are not actually that long and you will be grateful to not have to hear people coming and going past your room all night.

THE UGLY:
-Okay, the worst thing about this place is the TOWELS. How much can towels cost? These were what you would find at Motel 6. Thin, fraying, ragged. Literally the first day in our room, three of the towels had dark stains, as if they had been used to clean up motor oil. They were "clean" (i.e. had been laundered), but I don't like to see black stains on my towels. They should have been thrown away LONG ago. At least the sheets seemed relatively new and clean.

Okay, so would I stay again? Maybe. I hear there is an update coming this year to all the guest rooms. After that, as long as they don't jack up the prices, I would it again. There are better options out there, but you will of course pay for them.

Is this hotel for you? If you don't care about the hippest clubs or other guests, if you want a good location on the strip, if you don't care about luxury and want a good value, then yes, this is a good place to stay. I think it fits nicely in to the MGM property portfolio. I am guessing they don't want MC to be Aria fancy or Cosmo hip. This is made for a certain crowd, and I am guessing that crowd loves it. For me? I like it. With a bit better staff training I could be persuaded to stay again. Just please get some new towels and lampshades.

Room Tip: Get a room at the end of the hall if walking isn't an issue. Higher floors are always better...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
5  Thank Alan W

Dear Alan W,

Once again, Happy Birthday! Thank you for allowing us to host your special occasion. We appreciated the opportunity to serve you, and are grateful for the detailed observations provided in your travel review. Hopefully, you’ll consider returning to Monte Carlo in the future, so we can eliminate the shortfalls encountered, and offer a flawless resort experience.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

Am here for a convention in early February. All staff members have been very friendly and helpful. Rooms on the higher floor can offer good Weiss of the Strip. Elevators fast and not jam packed. Casino not full of tobacco smoke. Restaurants offer wide choices. Bed very comfortable, bathroom has enough counter space. The Blue Man Group puts on a good show.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Dear Tiburon09,

With extraordinary entertainment options like Blue Man Group, well-appointed accommodations, and a wide variety of dining choices, Monte Carlo stands apart from its competitors by offering unparalleled service and value. We appreciate your patronage, and hope you’ll include us in any future travel plans to Las Vegas.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

located in a great spot on the strip, very central to everything. Using the tram to get to other hotels is easy. the rooms are clean, the beds are amazing, so comfortable, great choices for shops and restaurants in the hotel. staff very attentive when you ask for something, the front desk also very helpful. A pleasant experience for our first time in Vegas and would definetly go back to this hotel. The decore is a bit dated but if you can live with browns and beiges, you will be fine. there is no wifi in the room, you have to hard wire your computer, to get wifi, you have to go in the main area of the hotel, this seems to be something that all hotels are doing, i dont agree but it seems to be the norm. staff very friendly and attentive to what you needed or wanted, always willing to help out with anything. beds were amazing

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Sharon L,

Monte Carlo sets the bar for luxury and comfort by offering the finest resort amenities and services available on the Las Vegas Strip. Thank you for sharing your travel experience on TripAdvisor. We look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

I spent a weekend here. I did not spend so much time in the hotel as I was busy having fun :) but I loved the hotel. It's clean and quiet. Staff are nice too. I however didn't get to use their wi-fi....I don't think they have it. But that was not a big deal because I was not on a business trip. You may want to ask if your package includes Wi-Fi. Otherwise the hotel is convenient to all the fun places cos its at the feet of the strip.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Dear AnthonyN N,

We appreciate your feedback, and were grateful to host your stay. Our staff is committed to providing unsurpassed service, from the meticulous condition of our hotel rooms, to the numerous dining and shopping venues available throughout our property. With so many ways to indulge yourself, Monte Carlo is an ideal choice for both business and leisure travelers. Please come back and see us again soon.