“Refreshing Monte Carlo Resort”

Monte Carlo Resort & Casino
Ranked #101 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
VA
“Refreshing Monte Carlo Resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2008

My husband and I have just returned from a May 2008 trip to Las Vegas, NV from VA and we were both thoroughly pleased with the Monte Carlo Resort Hotel & Casino. We are not gamblers but we did insert a dollar in the $0.25 slot machine to say we did partake in the livelihood of the city. The Monte Carlo casino area is crisp and clean but smoking is allowed in that area. The hotel's buffet was great especially considering the 2-for-1 coupons given to us by those who had visited a promotion earlier in the day. The only thing about Vegas as a whole is that all the casinos seem to have you wait unecessarily in line for buffet seating to be arranged. Plenty of seating would be available and the line could move faster but some are deterred from the eating establishment initially by the lines hanging out pass the doorway. We had a non-smoking king room with effective thermostat controls so that we could enjoy a cool room after a day of walking. The remarks about the bedding was correct - the mattress was absolutely devine. The room was superb for Vegas especially for the less than $100 price per night we obtained via Expedia. All the room lacked from the most expensive hotels in the country was a small refrigerator, exhaust fan in bathroom or heating lamp and a movie channel. We all know the intent is to not keep us in the rooms but in the casino but the room was definitely satisfactory. I found the Monte Carlo to be easily navigable and the food court had adequate vendors. Please know that if you receive a dining credit from the hotel to understand the few eating establishments that honors the credit and that you must utilize the voucher prior to check out because the charge must be applied to your room and then the hotel reimburses the cost at checkout. There is a spa and chapel on premise that we did not visit and the pool was busy and enjoyed during operating hours where the lifeguard was on duty till 6 p.m. I personally would have liked the pool to be open till dark. The view out the room window was facing the strip. A Deuce strip bus stop is in front of the Monte Carlo and access to the Monorail was through the back of the MGM Grand across the street with a asfe cat walk on the corner for pedestrian crossing. This was a return trip for my husband and I to Vegas. We are pleasantly and positively assured that we made a perfect selection with the Monte Carlo. As both frugal and quality seekers, we look forward to your opinions on the Trip Advisor.

• Liked — Cleanliness and lighting
  • Disliked — No movie channel
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
5 Thank dtgrne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,286)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Taipei
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2008

I got the one night stay on Priceline. The check was Ok. I requested the clerk one king size bed but was rejected because the rooms are not ready. They will be after 17:00. So I got a double bed room which was fine. At first I got a third floor room. I didn't dare to take that since constructions are underway. 24 floor wasn't so bad but still could hear the construction noise. Bathroom was awful. Could flush the toilet normally and bathtub water outlet was letting the water out fast enough. On this same trip I stay at a Holiday Inn which was better than this. The thing that bothered me the most was the knocking on the door since 09:30. Seems like they want guests to check out early and check in late for some reason. Anyways, I wouldn't stay again in Monte Carlo and don't recommend it to anyone. Those of you who already have plans just check in LATE to get a better room and check out EARLY to avoid the bothering.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Happyhare06

Travelers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

St. Paul, MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2008

I stayed at the Monte Carlo for two nights in early May. I was there for business and spent an extra night for fun. I reserved a non-smoking standard deluxe room and only had to spend a few minutes in line waiting to check-in. Service was consistently friendly. The room was nice. Although facing the City Center construction I did not notice any noise (I was on the 11th floor). The beds and pillows were really nice and I had no problem quickly falling asleep.

Once my work was finished I played a lot in the hotel's poker room. The poker room is well run, and like the hotel generally the managers and employees really seem to let you know how much they appreciate your patronage.

This was my second stay at the Monte Carlo and I will be staying here for future visits to Las Vegas.

• Liked — Emphasis on customer service
  • Disliked — Unfinished City Center construction
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank timpramas
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2008

We have been staying at the Monte Carlo for years. It is a beautiful property with nice amenities but none of the hassles of larger Las Vegas hotels. Almost everything has been remodeled within the past year, some is still going on. The Monte Carlo has one of the best pools on the Strip, my only complaint is that some of the property's square footage has been given over to the new City Center. This has compressed the pool area -- the tennis courts and guest locker room area are gone, and the cabanas have been placed in various locations where lounge chairs used to be. The pool area was crowded on May 1 with not a lot of people sitting poolside. I wonder how it will fare when it gets really crowded this summer?

• Liked — Beautiful hotel, good value, great pools.
  • Disliked — Construction going on next door, but this will pass.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank GBtravels
toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2008

Just spent a week at the Monte Carlo. After being regular visitors to Vegas and staying in most of the major hotels, this was the first time we'd been back in three years.

We decided we'd go back to a hotel we'd enjoyed 5-6 years ago, booked the rooms thru the hotel website in Feb, the prices changed four times in between booking and our trip. It was easy enough to change the reservations just by calling the hotel but had to keep checking prices weekly on their website.

The new off airport car rental is a lot easier to get thru but I don't remember ever having a 20 min wait before.

Early check-in at the hotel was easy but the Vegas habit of just line up at one station rather than the next available just baffles me.

After reading the reviews we asked for and got a room on the 27th floor strip view, which is the top of the casino, away from most of the construction. If you haven't seen the construction site yet, it is monstrous, will certainly be something to see when it's done. Very dusty and congestive if you're walking toward Bellagio.

The room was ok, starting to get a little tired, the walls are paper thin, we didn't hear much construction but did hear the TV from the clown in the next room who had to watch TV at 2:30 in the morning.

We had always been big fans of the Brew Pub so were diappointed that it was closed Mon and Tues, but went for dinner on Wed and it was great, have the Steak and Stein!! Had breakfast every morning at the Cafe, just perfect for what we needed. I don't understand Diablo's, doesn't fit with the hotel, they have an outdoor area where you can sit and watch the people going by on the strip which was ok but had the worst Margaritta ever.

Make sure you use your players card, they comped a meal that we had at Bellagio.

Went into Wynn for the first time, my wife was so awestruck she walked around the entire casino and forgot to play even once.

This will be the last time we stay at Monte Carlo would prefer to spend the extra money and stay at Bellagio but we'll continue to come back to the Brew Pub until the close it completely.

• Liked — reasonably priced
  • Disliked — hotel is getting old
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank visitorToronto
London, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2008

This is my third trip to Vegas in 8 months, having previously stayed in Luxor and MGM Grand. I read a few of the reviews and as they seemed to be either really positive or really negative I was concerned to say the least.

However it was great. We upgraded to a spa room, and it was amazing, with a huge jet spa, very comfy bed and an amazing view across the strip. The casino was reasonably good with payout, and both staff and security were friendly. My only small gripe would be that on our first night there, we went to the bar in the casino and sat there for 15 minutes with no bartender, before finally giving up and wandered off.
Granted it was 3am, but the casino was busy and this is Vegas after all!
Went to the pool, really enjoyed it, and I have to say all the moaning about the construction is overstated. Its as big a deal as you want to make it, and it didnt bother me at all.
Would love to go again.

• Liked — The spa room upgrade
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Supernature
Irvine, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2008

For a Vegas hotel, the Monte Carlo lacks a lot of the glitz and glamour of the other well known hotels on the Strip. The lobby and casino are nice enough. The vibe is low key and you don't have to worry about trying to impress anyone.

The rooms however, are nothing to write home about. They are very ordinary and like any other decent hotel in a big city. But comparing it to the handful of other Vegas hotels I've stayed at, eh, it's just okay. If it wasn't for the affordable rates, I doubt I'd stay here again. (I like the glitz and glamour!)

That being said, it's definitely not a bad choice if you're looking for a decent, reasonably priced hotel on the Strip.

• Liked — The price and location.
  • Disliked — Lacked the glitz and glamour of a typical Vegas hotel.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends