“Five-Star Spaces; Two-Star Service”

The Venetian Las Vegas
Ranked #9 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago
“Five-Star Spaces; Two-Star Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2010

We spent three days in a Bella Venezia suite at the Venetian and found the room and public spaces to be splendid, with generous dimensions and beautiful finishes (though some might find the design slightly old-fashioned and overwrought). But the service was mediocre at best, possibly a result of staff reductions made necessary by the recession: We had to wait in a long line for check-in; every call to the front desk involved at least ten minutes on hold; we got little help navigating through the labyrinthine complex (which had grossly inadequate signage). The employees we dealt with were very helpful and competent; there just weren't enough of them.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mid-Continental

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5,624)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2010

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Venetian for a conferecnce at the Sands Expo center. The conference was only one day, so we turned this into a leisure trip and stretched it into a five day vacation.

LOCATION: The location is incredible--right at the center of the strip, directly across the street from Treasure Island.

ROOM: We stayed in the Piazza Suite (1400 sf), which was beautifully decorated with two enormous windows looking right over the strip. This room features: two doors, marble flooring, one half bath, a refrigerator for personal use, a mini bar refrigerator, three TVs, a couch, a dining table (4 chairs), one full bath featuring a jacuzzi tub that easily holds two with a separate shower, and his + her sinks. The room is so big there are two thermostats in it!

SECURITY: The security at this hotel is second to none compared to other hotels we have stayed at in Las Vegas. Everytime you go near an elevator bank, a room key is required. When coming onto the property via vehicle, security visually inspect vehicles. Casino security removes unruly guests within seconds. There are security personnel on EVERY wing of EVERY floor. We felt safer in sin city than we would have ever expected.

"SCENTED AIR": I've heard people complain about the scented air. My girlfriend had a sinus infection, so I was especially worried about this issue. I laughed while walking through the casino smelling the air because it smells *really* good. It is not strong...it is actually refreshing! Casinos in Vegas STINK. We verified this fact when by walking through almost all of the resorts on the strip. The Venetian smells wonderful, especially when compared to those other properties. My girlfriend and I loved the smell! It smells just like air freshener to be honest, and I'd much rather smell that than the horrible smoke stench of casinos like the Bellagio.

SHOPPING: Shopping at and around the Venetian is also amazing. There is a huge mall connecting the Venetian to the Palazzo...this mall is attached to the Venetian. You don't even walk outside! Most of the stores in reality are things nobody could ever afford, but is fun to look at. There are food venues such as Johnny Rocket's, Godiva, and Hagan Daze.

TIP #1: Right across the street (Approx. 2 blocks) is Fashion Show Mall. On the top floor, hidden, is a huge food court with normal priced food. Places there: Panda Express, Wendy's, KFC, Subway, and a few others. This is the place to eat if you do not want to break the bank.

TIP #2: Also in Fashion Show mall is an ABC Store. Stock up here!

TIP #3: There is a Walgreens at the Venetian. Go there and stock up on things you need, including breakfast foods and snacks. They do not serve alcohol.

SUMMARY: My morning wakeup call was from a live operator. Limos and taxis are abundant. There were parties going on all around us, but we never heard a single one while inside our room. The bed was more comfortable than anything I've ever slept on. The Convention Center is attached to the hotel, and is extremely convenient. While we were there, Kim Kardashian launched her perfume line live in person at our hotel and then partied at Tao nightclub in our hotel.

This is either the kind of place you love or hate. Personally, we are in our 20s and love the secure megaresort atmosphere with things going on 24/7. There is one elevator bank with three separate branches divided by certain floors. Each branch has EIGHT elevators...you never wait more than 10 seconds for an empty elevator! You will have an awesome time if you understand that this is a huge hotel. You will have to wait in line for about 15 minutes to check in and 15 minutes to check out, but you will do this everywhere in Vegas when checking in or checking out during peak hours. This is the same way it is at all the other megaresort hotels in Vegas.

Stay at the Venetian, have a blast, but make sure you upgrade to the Piazza (or larger) suite! It is TOTALLY worth it!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank FurmanD23
Walla Walla, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2010

We stayed at the Venetian with a room the the Venezia Tower. We thought the standard of service was excellent. The suite at the Venezia was huge. The only drawback was the complicated directions required to get from check-in to our room and, in general, to navigate the Venetian-Palazzo complex. It took us 3 days to feel comfortable getting from point A to point B.

Count on walking a lot. The Venetian-Palazzo complex is huge as are surrounding hotel-casinos. If you are over 65, plan to take the city bus that goes up and down the strip and buy a monorail ticket if you want to visit the far south and north ends of the strip.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
huntington beach
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2010

First I wanted to say that it wasnt only Valentine's Day but also my brother, 30th birthday party, which he was extremely excited about. We had stayed at the Palazzo for my sister-in laws bachelorette party and had a great time. So, my brother decided to book 2 suites at the Venetian from Feb 13-15th. My brother booked the suites more than a month in advance because he wanted to celebrate his 30th birthday with all his friends. He payed $290 for each suite because he didnt want us to worry about paying for the hotel. He specifically requested 2 joining suites so that we could all be together. My sister in law made reservations for everyone at Tao. Our friends arrived before we did and Venetian was kind enough to give them a room first. However when we arrived my brother learned that the two rooms were not adjoining, even though that is what he specifically requested and booked in advance for. So after 45 minutes of speaking with the front desk they finally resolved the situation and gave us 2 joining rooms in the lower quality towers, with smaller rooms. He requested a discount but they gave him about $20 off. All of our friends who had checked in earlier, gotten comfortable and unpacked, had to repack all their belongings and move to a smaller room in another tower. This took about an hour an half. It took 40 minutes for the bell hop to arrive at the room to help move the luggage. Once we actually got settled in the other room, the cake showed up and we had to rush to get to the restaurant. Three of our friends got there half an hour early to re-confirm the reservation and have a few drinks. Our reservation was at 10 and we arrived at 945, our friends arrive at 9:15. Throughout the day my friends had already spent hundreds of dollars gambling and drinks. When we arrived we spent at least $400 more. We waited for a table until 10:45, constantly checking with the hostesses, who gave us attitude each time. The hostesses never even apologized or offered anyone drinks though it was their fault that we had to wait almost an hour and it was my brothers birthday. So we got seated after 11:00 but there wasn't enough room for everyone, when we tried to get additional tables, the waiter was extremely rude and gave everyone an attitude. This was the last straw and we decided to leave even though we had already spent so much on drinks and waited so long for a table. We wound up eating at a cafe at another casino. That was a horrible birthday dinner.

We decided to spend as little time in the Venetian as possible. On our last night when we got back to the hotel room, the maids had done a lousy job of cleaning our room. The worst part was that my bed did not even have sheets on it. There was just this towel like cover and the blanket. This was disgusting but at 4 in the morning I was in no state to complain and had labeled Venetian the worst hotel in Vegas anyhow. The next day we couldn't wait to leave and headed down to the valet. My brother went down early to get the car. When we came down 20 minutes later they still hadnt brought the car. There was a lot of people so we figured we would give the valet guys a few more minutes. Another 20 minutes later I had had enough and went to go speak with the head valet. I asked him where my car was. We had been waiting over 45 minutes at this point. He said he had no idea where my car was and asked for a description of my car. My car is a four door black VW Passat, if they hadnt found it by now I didnt think the description would help. He said he would ask his next guy to check. This wasted another 15 minutes. The car finally came after more than an hour of waiting for it. They didnt even know where it was and needed to go searching the entire parking lot for it.

Now if you count all of the time and money we wasted and all of the inconvenience, headache, disappointment we received in exchange I would have to say that this was the worst Vegas experience I have ever had. The experience at the restaurant was just abhorable and the epitome of horrible customer service. Labeling your casino a luxury resort with five diamond service may get people fooled once but with the kind of treatment we received I know none of us will ever stay there, gamble there or eat there again. That is about 10 thoroughly disappointed and angry people who were just there to celebrate my brothers birthday and Valentines day.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank noorani17
Calgary, Alberta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2010

We've been to Vegas about 6 times now. We've stayed at the Mirage (my favourite) Luxor twice, the Hiton, and Planet Hollywood. This time going there, we decided to spoil ourselves and stay at the famous Ventian Hotel. I've been wanting to stay at the Venetian since I can remember. Check in was good however the pressure from the front desk to upgrade your room was crazy! We needed to use the business centre to check in for the next part of our trip and in order to do that, they said we needed to upgrade for $100 extra per night per person... seemed a bit extreme. The rooms were nice, not as spectacular as we expected and definetly not nice enough to be paying the price they charge! Upon entering our room, we opened the cabinet under the tv where the mini fridge is and inside was rotting food left over from the guests before us. We quickly called down and were told someone would come right up and clean it. We left 10 minutes later to explore the hotel. We came back 4 hours later to find that the rotting food had not been cleaned. I called down again and was told again that someone would come up and clean it. We left again 10 minutes later from dinner. We arrived back at our room after dinner to find that again it was not cleaned. We had even opened the cabinet door to show the cleaning people where the food was in case they didn't understand us! Gross! Finally after the 4th time, someone showed up! No apologies, no comps, no offer for us to even switch rooms! Terrible customer service! You would think at a hotel such as the Venetian they would have impeccible service! Oh and they forgot our bath robes. The beds were fairly old and worn out. No duvet blankets either... Seems a bit low class. They do not supply a coffee maker or bottled water either! Save your money and head to the MIrage! I guarantee you'll love it!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cchan1984
Tucson AZ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2010

I paid over a gran for three days and this is my story. When checking in be prepared to wait a long time. When I got to my Lux room, the table top was broken (caused me to loose my (15.00 snack). The chair was soiled and nasty. I had to wait until the next day to have items fixed. When using the hotels iron it kept blowing the fuse. Pillow covers had holes in them. On my last day I checked for lost items that might have fallen under the bed. When I looked under the bed there was trash. I was sick to my stomach. Moreover, be prepared to pay 12.95 daily for internet service and no coffee pots. I had a complementary continental breakfast that took 30 mins to get too (but the coffee was good). If you call the front desk be prepared to wait 10-15 mins, Checking out? Give yourself another 30 min (After 12:00), bag service there is a wait too...another 30min after you held on the phone for 15 mins. I am not a newbee to Vegas and have never had such an experience EVER in other 3-5 star hotels. The Worst Ever

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank jrussinc
Los Angeles
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2010

We stay there for 2 nights. There was a long line for check in. We wait about 30 mins for check in & 20 mins to get the room key. The front dest was unfriendly. At first, he gave us wrong key. We can't open the door. So my husband went down to get other key. When we open the door, the room was occupant by someone already. We call the housekeeping manager, she called front desk for us. Then the front desk said he gave us wrong room number!!! So me & the baby wait on the hallway for 1 hour to get in to our room!!! And they didn't said anything about it. When we back to LA, I find out they charge $100 more on our credit card. So we need to call and get the money back!!! I'll never stay in Venetian again!!! And I'll tell everyone don't stay in Venetian!!! It is the worst hotel I have ever stay in Las Vegas!!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family