“Excellent if somewhat mixed experience”

The Venetian Las Vegas
Ranked #10 of 265 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed February 18, 2004

My wife and I just returned from a stay at the Venetian. We were
married in Vegas in July (hot, hot!), but didn't truly get a honeymoon,
as attending to 20 family members and friends took so much time. We
also had our children with us, so it wasn't as much romantic as it was
practical in July.
This time around, we wanted to pamper ourselves, so we decided on the Venetian. I had seen many reviews, good and bad, on this site, but felt the majority were favorable, so we booked.
I found the room to be large, comfortable, and well designed.
Everything was quite clean, though some things were a bit worn, as
previous reviews have noted. Check-in was a breeze, and the staff was,
through-out our stay, helpful, not stuffy at all. We partied pretty
hard during our stay, so we often left the room in the afternoon. Our
room was always clean when we returned, even when we left as late as 5
pm.
The room-service was definitely a treat. Jeff, the man who brought us our food, was friendly, intuitively knowing we didn't want a formal presentation of the food. He layed out our food elegantly, and bantered with us as he worked. His discreet touch and insights into Vegas hotspots were appreciated.
We felt that the room needed new carpet, and could use more outlets for various plug-ins. The stocked refrigerator was completely full of expensive items (too expensive, don't touch them unless you are in real need, they are bar-coded, so moving them will cause your room to be charged), so we requested another refrigerator for drinks and the like (it was free of charge). Every request we made was filled promptly, including for a coffee pot, which is not standard in the room. I believe we were charged about $18.00 for the coffee pot for 4 days. I understand the hotels are all about revenue generation, but this seems like a tacky thing to me.
My wife loved the vanity and chair to apply make-up, and loved the separate toilet, so two people could get ready at the same time. She does feel the lighting in the bathroom was inadequate for applying make-up unless sitting at the vanity.
We dined Valentine's evening at Pinot Brasserie. WOW! AN amazing dinner, truly fine dining with excellent service and fabulous food. The waitress suggested a wine that turned out to be the best I have ever tasted. The cheesecake likewise was the best I have had. I highly recommend Pinot.
All in all, I highly recommend the Venetian. If you are going to Vegas to enjoy yourself, would like a taste of pampering, and are not looking for the flaws in everything but simply an experience to share with a loved one, I am certain you will enjoy the Venetian. We liked it so much that we extended our stay two times!
Best wishes
Tom and Sandy

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (26,289)

Reviewed February 16, 2004

Stayed here in October '03 and can't wait to go back! The staff were exceptional, from the front desk lady who upgraded us from the standard 600 sq. ft. suite to the 1600 sq. ft. suite, to the housecleaning staff who assisted me in setting up a surprise for my wife on our anniversary! The room was amazing! Only one setback was that the drain plug on the tub was not working right. It was fixed in a matter of minutes of calling maintenance. We dined in one of the hotel restaurants and although they were swamped, our waiter treated us as if we were his only table. This is one Vegas hotel that definitely knows how to take care of its customers!

4  Thank jabmoore
Reviewed February 15, 2004

We arrived at the Venetian Saturday afternoon. There were only two parties in front of us at check-in, but they escorted us to the Venezia Lobby to check-in and within 5 minutes we had our keycards. But it took the bellman 45 minutes to get the luggage up to our suite in the Venezia Tower. The suite was spacious and very clean (even the mirrors and glass surfaces were spotless). There was only one bathrobe in the suite and Priority Service took care of that matter in minutes. The first two days we got lost in the hotel several times, but the security guards , who are all over the place, were wonderful helpers to find the right way. The breakfast buffet and breakfast menu at the Grand Lux Caf? were of average variety and quality - we expected something more fancy. When I read in a review that they would charge $ 30.00 for using a treadmill, I couldn?t believe it, but they really do (the price includes sauna etc). There is no way to have just a quick workout without paying full price. Laundry Service and Front Desk staff need a little help in math: Our charges were two times 1.75 plus 5.25=8.75. Laundry Service came up with 13.13, we called and were promised they would correct the billing, but nothing happened. So we told the staff member at check-out. She did not know how to enter it on the computer and asked for help from a co-worker. So far so good, but then the two started using a calculator adding and subtracting, adding and subtracting?.for about 10 minutes. Finally they handed us a receipt to sign and printed the final bill with laundry charges of 7.53 - at that point I didn?t want to question their math skills again! I thought we learned our lesson with the luggage from check-in day and skipped the bellman - what a mistake. We had to stand in line for about 20 minutes to get a taxi to the airport. Other guests leaving assisted by a porter didn?t have to line up for getting into a cab. Overall it was an enjoyable stay at the Venetian. We can recommend to stay there. Don?t set your expectations to high and everything will be wonderful.

4  Thank Allegheny
Uncasville, CT
Reviewed February 10, 2004

On a spur of the moment, me and my beloved decided to stay at the Venetian. The rooms were bigger than our apartment at home. I am 5'9" and a big girl and I could lay down in the bathtub and not touch the sides. You could literally stay in just the Venetian and not be bored.
The Grand Lux Cafe, which is owned by Cheesecake Factory was perfect for a quick bite. Pinot was incredible for a romantic evening out. I will be staying here again and again and recommend it highly to everyone I know. It will spoil you for hotel rooms in general. If only they would let me live there.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 10, 2004

I have have been to Vegas about 4 times a yeat for the last 5 or 6 years and stayed at most of the larger hotel/casinos and this is one of the tops..Everything is top of the line. I, however, didn't play here most of the time as I didn't thing it payed off like some of the other casinos...Would go back in a split second........

6  Thank vwmaster68
Reviewed February 7, 2004

My husband and I just returned from our lovely stay at the Venetian. We have traveled extensively over 17 years and this by far is one of the very best hotel suites we have ever stayed in. The room was immaculate and luxurious. A step-down living room, 2 entertainment centers with flat screen tv's, beautiful furniture with much thought to exquisite detail. The beds were very comfortable and bathroom was one that I wish I had the space for in my own home! We were in the new tower so be prepared to walk a bit..but it is worth it. The restaurants were clean, good food. A few a bit expensive, but what the heck..it was vacation!
As a non-smoker, found that the casino was the "best tolerated" as the lingering smell of stale smoke was not to be found at the Ventetian, unlike other hotels. The grounds were beautiful and staff courteus.
Definitely recommend this lovely property.

4  Thank andrea
Toronto, ON
Reviewed February 7, 2004

Where do I begin? I took more photos of this hotel then all of Las Vegas. It is beautiful, the staff super friendly and the food is excellent.

We were upgraded to the Venezia tower, which gave us a slightly larger room and I have read some people complain of the extra walking but in Vegas everywhere is a walk...that's Vegas, when you have Casino's over 100,000 square feet and hotels that house 3000-5000 rooms, you are gonna walk...whether you like it or not!!! So bring running shoes!! My feet ached like hell but the it was ALL worth it 10x over! I have been to the "real" Venice in Italy many times and this hotel certainly did it justice.... The room service was first rate, the room was gorgeous, huge marble bathroom with crystal shower (that never streaks) - 2 flat screen TV's fax, minibar, snack bar, several of the latest magazines....all at your disposal. The restaurants offered at the hotel cover a wide spectrum, from an excellent food court, to the world renown Zeffirino Italian Seafood restaurant overlooking the canals and shoppes!!!

Go to the Venetian....if you want quality and class..if you can find fault with this hotel then you should never leave home again!!!

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member