“Very Nice Hotel Stay. Skip the Casino”

ARIA Resort & Casino
Ranked #16 of 262 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Very Nice Hotel Stay. Skip the Casino”
Reviewed January 29, 2011

We spent three nights at Aria during a Las Vegas trip with friends. The Aria has a very nice, modern feel, and a courteous staff. Everything you would expect at a nice hotel We were definitely impressed with our room which had a large floor-to-ceiling window on the entire exterior wall (as far as I know this is a standard room). All the lighting, TV, alarm, sound and window controls are integrated on a remote, which was something new. We found the hotel's location on the strip to be very central....an easy walk to most of the main casinos on the strip and about 20-30 minutes to get to the most extreme north-south ends of the strip (Mandalay bay or Wynn). Also, it is connected to the City Center, a high-class mall, if you like to shop. The pool area looked fantastic for the summer. We did not spend a ton of time in the casino, but the time we did have in there we were not impressed. It's a pretty small casino and as a result all the tables were crowded all the time. If you enjoy playing the inexpensive video slot machines or low minimum bet tables, this is definitely NOT the place to go! Also, we ate at the Aria's buffet one morning for brunch and it was nothing special. better off spending your $$ at Bellagio, Wynn, or Paris buffets in terms of quality and variety. They do have a fantastic pastry shop near the casino floor, and I have heard some of the other restaurants are good, but cannot offer a personal experience there.
All that being said, the location is key and Aria has pretty fair rates compared to some of the other hotels in close proximity on the strip. I would recommend it to others for just the hotel quality alone, but I wouldn't consider it at the top of the list for the one-stop hotel/casino/restaurant properties on the strip.
One final thought--this hotel advertises itself as the first LEEDS certified ("green") hotel on the strip. It may have been constructed in an environmentally friendly way, but there's nothing about their operations that seems particularly environmentally friendly...I mean, the pastry shop provides gigantic boxes and oversize gift-style baggies to cart out one little baked item, and I did not see anything indicating that they're encouraging recycling or reusable materials or anything... what's that all about?

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5,393)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Columbus, Georgia
Reviewed January 28, 2011

Airport shuttles must discharge passengers in a sub-basement, which is as far away from the registration desk as it is possible to be in this hotel. You have to walk through the casino, which reeks with a sickly vanilla odor (to mask the smoke?). The desk clerk was well-meaning, but ineffectual, and had to call her manager, who was snippy and borderline rude.

The room was odor-free and had a nice view, except for the grime on the windows. Housekeeping was slipshod.

I had booked a tour to Death Valley, and three successive employees did not know where the Tour Bus Lobby was. Another told me that coffee was available before 7:00 a.m. only in a restaurant located clear across the hotel; it turned out that a bar just behind us had it.

Terrible odor, poorly trained staff, inconvenient layout.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank pavoga
Rolling Hills Estates
Reviewed January 27, 2011

THe rooms were great but the ventilation system was terrible. Everytime we walked by the casino, the smoke bothered us; even the person that smoked could not stand it . The very good french bakery was great but the lines were always long ,so if you wanted to grab something good and you didn't have a lot of time to waste: then kiss the bakery goodbye!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank stollyboy
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed January 27, 2011

I've hesitated writing a review about our stay at Aria because I don't want to come across as being a negative sort or an arrogant type but here I am. First off, I'd like to say that my husband and I are 50ish and have travelled to Vegas each year for 20+ years to attend the concrete convention or for a little getaway. We typically stay at different hotels, always on the strip. I believe this contributes to our experiences and expectations, which I will briefly outline below.
First and foremost, as with most of the newish hotels, the location of the Aria is too far back from the strip. You need to walk uphill about a block from the strip to get to the front doors. It is also too far from what I refer to as the 'centre' of the strip (ie. Caesars, Flamingo, Mirage, Bill's, Imperial Palace). In my opinion, this is where most of the outside action occurs and one of the reasons we keep going back to Vegas. Yes, we could've stayed at one of those hotels but we under-estimated the distance that the Aria was from the strip. As well, the Aria did not have a shuttle bus to the Convention Centre, as most other hotels do for the World of Concrete. We had to walk to the Monte Carlo hotel to catch their shuttle or take a cab.
Secondly, we felt as if we were dollared to death at the Aria. One evening we decided to sit in one of the lounges for a drink. The total for one Manhattan and one Mojito was $27, not including tip. We were floored at this price. Aria has penny slots but the most minimum bet we could find on them was 20 cents. Most of the other casinos allow you play an actual penny if you want. We made a long distance phone call and anticipated the bill to be high, but not nearly as high as it ended up being. As a result of the phone call, we tried using the business centre to print off, scan and fax some documents but it was going to cost us somewhere around $30, so opted to wait til we returned home. Also, for anyone who isn't aware, there is a non-negotiable $20 daily resort fee charged by the hotel.
Thirdly, I've been reading in some of the reviews that the hotel was spotless. I beg to differ. Perhaps the lobby and casino, which are practically brand new, are very clean but our room wasn't. It had stains on the carpet, water spots and hair all over the floor, dust (from more than a day) on the glass furniture and a stain on my pillow case. Not a huge deal but it certainly wasn't spotless.
Fourthly (and perhaps because of our age), we did not like all the remote controls for lighting, curtains and TV watching. When I'm on vacation, I do not want to have to read a book about how to work these functions in my room.
Fifthly (and this applies to many hotels, not just Aria, but I expect it more from the 5 star ones, like Aria), when I pull back my sheets on the bed, it really bothers me when the bottom sheet pulls out, too. Why can they not have fitted sheets? Each time we went to bed, I would need to go around and tuck in the bottom sheet so that it doesn't get all bunched up underneath us and cause us to sleep on an uncovered mattress.
Sixthly, the food at the buffet, although plentiful, was not very fresh. Most of what I ate tasted like it'd been sitting under a heating lamp for awhile. I understand that the restaurant wasn't very busy, but I would rather have had less selection of hot, fresh food than a big selection of old, warm food.
I believe this hotel appeals to the younger generation as we were with two other couples, all in their 20s and early 30s, who really liked the decor (and understood the room technology!). And perhaps because they're younger, all the walking to and from the hotel wasn't as much of a bother for them.
Would I ever stay here again? NO Would I recommend the hotel? Perhaps, depending on who it is.

1 Thank LoveCalgary
Oceanside, New York
Reviewed January 27, 2011

I was meeting my college roomate (1975) and his wife in Vegas for 4 days. I had allready booked the Aria. My college roomate insisted that I stay with him at the Pallazo. I'm glad I decided to stay at the Aria. This hotel is magnificent. I arrived at 10:15 am and my room was ready! Everyone was so nice at the hotel from the Valet to the Casino waitress to the bellhops. The room was clean and state of the art. The hotel is centrally located right in the heart of the strip - actually just next door to the Belagio. Couldn't find one thing to complain about. I had a magnificent view of the strip from my room. Would stay there again if the price was right. Got a good deal at www. earlyvegas,com/promos - got the third night free!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Morristown, Tennessee, USA
Reviewed January 26, 2011

The ARIA is by far one of the nicest hotels i have EVER had the pleasure of staying in! My husband and I traveled to Las Vegas for the concrete convention in January and I read tons of reviews on the various hotels in Las Vegas. I was planning to stay at Ceasars Palace but a friend whom had recently stayed at the ARIA recommended it & I am SO glad i booked it! Everything is controlled with an electronic Ipad like device! Upon walking into the room at check in the lights came on, the curtains opened to reveal an entire glass wall overlooking the strip! The bathtub was luxuriously big with the shower next to it all encased in glass. I am VERY picky about cleanliness & i must say hands down this place is CLEAN! They freshen up the room daily bringing in new towels, making the bed & wiping everything down. I read reviews complaining about it being TOO big, i didnt get that feeling and NEVER waited on an elevator as they have 6 elevators for each floor grouping(every 8 floors)! I CANNOT wait to stay here again next year when return for the convention. The prices were SO good I will end up booking our employee rooms here as well next year when they travel to the show with us! Also very nice that it is located next to City Center! Louis Vuitton, Prada & Gucci were just steps away! By far the BEST hotel yet!!!!! Great Job ARIA!!!

Jacksonville
Reviewed January 26, 2011

My wife and I stayed here after abandoning our pre-paid reservation at the Flamingo. The headlines are that the Aria is a nice, clean comfortable hotel. Some bullet points:

1) The hotel is spotlessly clean.
2) Every employee seemed well trained and service oriented (especially Thomas at the front desk).
3) The rooms are comfortable and interesting. They are technology focused, but after a while become a little frustrating. Executing simple tasks, like turning on a light, can be a little tricky.
4) This place is not cheap. I know resorts and hotels charge a premium for drinks, food and sundries, but this place takes the cake. I don't mind paying a little extra for convenience, but you feel like you are getting gouged every now and then.
5) The Aria's location lends itself to a wide variety of dining options. Anything you might want is there, but be prepared to pay out the nose. The Todd English P.U.B has awesome food and every beer under the sun.

We would stay there again and enjoyed ourselves.

BTW- Try a pomegranate mojito at the City Bar.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple