“Good value, correct expectations”

Palace Station Hotel and Casino
Ranked #133 of 262 Hotels in Las Vegas
Stephenville, Texas
“Good value, correct expectations”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

We recently attended a conference for 3 nights at the Palace Station. I was a little worried based upon some of the previous comments, however I found most of the negatives to be not true, or misunderstood.

First this property is geared toward locals. It is NOT a strip hotel. There are two distinct parts, a tower and a motel or courtyard area. The tower is much more modern and updated. The courtyard area is not as nice but the rooms are much cheaper. I think you have to understand that you get what you pay for, if you are staying in the $25 courtyard part, then expect that, not a $200 suite on the strip. I did constantly hear people at the front desk asking about or explaining the resort fee. Yes its a backdoor way of charging more, I did hear staff reducing it for some people, but it was very well explained at check in. Take your rate, add $15 a night and move on. Our tower rate, including fee, was $65 a night. I've stayed in crappier hotels for more money.

Food and drink at the Palace are MUCH cheaper then you will find on the strip. The buffet is very decent and with a players club card is $5 breakfast, $7 lunch, $8 dinner. $9 for Sunday brunch. We at at least one of each meals and I was most disappointed with the brunch but pleased with lunch/breakfast. Also this price includes the drink. Bottled beers are $2 and they have limited and inexpensive cocktails/wines as well. We had drinks on the strip that were $15 each, do the math. We did not eat in all the other restaurants but talking to others in our conference everyone felt they were good and reasonable.

The casino is like everyone other one on the strip with maybe a little extra cigarette smoke. If you do not like the smell of cigarettes, do not come to Vegas, much less the Palace. Everything smells like cigarettes, and the smell gets everywhere, even on my 19th floor non-smoking room.

The room itself was nice, was cleaned very well each day, had a large bathroom and granite countertops. Large LCD TV but the channel selection was limited. My room faced the strip and you could not ask for a better view as you can see the entire northside of the strip.

I found the staff professional, no one really stood out as great and friendly but neither was anyone rude. One big plus I did note was their shuttle bus stuck to the schedule very well. In all our uses of it if the schedule said it was going to be there at a certain time it was. Very prompt. It would have been nice to have a car to get back/forth to the strip with as the shuttle drops you off at the very northern part next to the Trump tower.

Overall if you want to "live like a whale" and blow money, go to the strip. If you want reasonably priced accommodations, food and drink, the palace is a great choice. If you understand what you are getting and what you are not, then you can make an informed choice. I would have no problem returning here for another conference, but it might not be my first choice to take the wife for a whirlwind weekend.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor facing the strip.
6 Thank notyours

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (610)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed December 13, 2012

We attended my company Christmas party at the Palace Station. Great party (except the house wine, more on that later), great room, love the Starbucks, excellent food in the cafe.

Room was awesome. Very quiet. Linens, soap/shampoo/conditioner/lotion were excellent. We only had one bath towel but the delivered more in about 15 minutes after calling the desk.

My disappointment: the resort fee. Why is the hotel charging me $15. It's winter and there is no way I'm swimming. There's no spa that we found. There is a workout room but I'd much rather buy the $5 day membership at 24 hour fitness about a mile away. This is the reason I travel Southwest Air when possible, there are no added fees. Vegas is famous for other things: parking is free, meals are affordable, and rooms are reasonable. People who get a good deal will return profits from the cheap rooms and food with gaming but the Palace Station is spoiling that with a stupid resort fee. If not for the party, I will not stay at this or any other hotel with resort fees unless I get a kayak or underground swimming grotto or water slides or something else that gives me a reason to pay those fees. Virtually nothing but gaming is not an option for me.

The house wine is two vines from Columbia Crest. Great company but not a great wine. Beware more than two glasses (hey it was included with the party but the next day was not a resort experience).

The cafe downstairs was a bit slow (NFR in town so it was busy) but we really enjoyed the fruit/yogurt plate. We also shared a egg white garden omelet without cheese which was a nice fruit and low-fat protein boost after our indulgence at the party the night before.

Room Tip: Fight the resort fee. Don't know if you can win but $15 is a ripoff.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank FromVegas
Montana
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I stayed at this hotel while attending a conference for work. It's right off of I-15 and easy to find. The property is nice. There are several choices for restaurants on the property (and right across the street), a Starbucks right by the elevators and a nice gift shop. I stayed in a tower room, which was wonderful! Large shower and vanity area, the bed was very comfortable and the room was very spacious. The hotel staff at the registration desk was definately the worst part about my stay. I went there several different times with needs or questions and each time it was someone different with a poor attitude. However, the guys at the Concierge desk were VERY pleasant and helpful. Room service was quick and delicious. I did venture off the property one evening to go to a nearby CVS pharmacy and felt like I was in the "ghetto" and didn't feel very safe. But, otherwise, fantastic place to stay!!

Room Tip: Go for a tower room!
2 Thank jessicatraveler32
Miami, Florida
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 6 days. We arrived at noon, even though check in is at 3pm. We checked in, but they refused to give us a key until 3pm, even though we had been traveling since 3am. In other hotels we have been given a room before their check in time as a courtesy. Anyways we waited in the lobby 4 hours until they were good and ready. We ordered a non smoking room, but the smoke from the casino makes its way up to the rooms. besides that the rooms were pretty decent. We made our way down to the bar almost every night, it was an ok bar, the waitresses were very friendly. The casino floor was well distributed and we had alot of fun. We hardly left the premises as it had several restaurants and a buffet. The buffet does not have great food but its only $8 - $11, overall the buffet was a good deal. The overall stay was not bad, we spent 6 nights there. Now the check out was fairly easy, but there is a $15.00 daily resort fee, I wasnt thrilled about that either. its fairly close to the back end of the strip. If you are on a budget its not a bad place to stay, but considering the resort fee and all, you might be able to land a hotel on the strip for about the same price.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank DennisR35
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I am currently living out of hotels due to my job and was looking for somewhere affordable that I could base myself from.

A friend suggested the Palace Station and I was quick to deride him. However I'm now eating my words. Ive always been a little snobby when it comes to Vegas hotels and have stayed in most of the strip ones, including Encore, Cosmo and Sky Lofts so my expectations are pretty high.

I had envisioned old scrappy rooms and a low rent feel, however as long as you book in the tower you will be pleasantly surprised. While not at the same level as some of the top tier hotels it definitely holds its own. I spent one night in the courtyard - yeah - that is what I kind of expected of this hotel, so my advice is pay a little more and get a lot more in return.

Breakfast buffet - $4.99 (if you have a players club card). That is ridiculous. You can't even get a drink in some places for that and they have all the things you could want from cereals to cooked breakfasts.

Would I stay here again? I'm about to book another 2 weeks here - so yes.

9 Thank AntHeywood
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 21, 2012

We got a great deal from Groupon for this hotel and after reading reviews good and bad decided to go and see for ourselves. We only paid £66 for a five night stay including breakfast and were allocated Courtyard rooms. The rooms were clean and serviced everyday but if you are looking for luxury these rooms are not for you. We only used the rooms for sleeping in and were more than satisfied with what we got especially taking into consideration what we paid. The buffet breakfast was excellent and had everything to suit all ages. Sign up for the casinos boarding pass and get meals at a good discount. The restaurants in the hotel also offer good value for money and the food very good. There is also a resort tax to pay of approximatly $18 per night when you depart. This hotel is about 10mins by car into the strip and there is plenty of parking at the various hotels there. All in all we were really pleased with this deal.

Room Tip: If you want better rooms then book the Tower rooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kate T
Rapid City, South Dakota
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel several times. Ive never experienced any problems. Always had a clean room. No disappointments with any of the resteraunts on property. Great place! Stayed at few other lower rate hotels in Vegas and none compare to this one.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business