“6 night stay at Orleans”

The Orleans Hotel & Casino
Ranked #54 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed November 27, 2006

We just stayed at Orleans November 5th to the 11th. We had stayed once before for only one night as the previous trip we were unable to get into Mirage on a Saturday Night. The first trip we were pleasantly surprised with our Stripview room. Unless there is a huge variety in room size, those that post that the rooms are small are insane, they are quite large.

Anyway, this trip we booked a suite, which was less than a standard room at Mirage during the same time frame. We checked in to Suite 2030 and were overall very satisfied. It had a huge living area with a large sectional, dining room table, and a large wet bar, granite counter, and four bar chairs. The view behind the bar was of the entire Strip that is similar to the view from Ghost Bar at Palms. The seperate bedroom was also huge. The bathroom was nice, though basic in our opinion for a suite. Access to the suites on the 20th floor was by room key only, which was very quiet, no kids wandering the hallways.

Huge and only complaint...when we booked we called Olreans to verify that the pool would be open during our stay and were told that it was. Well, when we got there it wasn't, except on weekends. I have sent a letter to management regarding our stay and the disappointment that this caused. I have not heard back from them, tho they have my home and email address. The weather that week was perfect for sunbathing, 80+ degrees and cloudless skies. Further complaint was when I spoke to the front desk supervisor, she simply stated she got an email a couple of days ago that the pool would be closed during the week. What we later found from another couple that we were able to use the pools at the Suncoast or Gold Coast. Too bad we didn't find this out until several days into our stay. This is information that the front desk supervisor should have shared but didn't. Obviously we were not impressed with her after that.

As far as the casino, we really liked it. Yes, people are smoking there, and we are non-smokers, but we find it no worse than the smoke at Mirage, TI etc. I just read another review that said it was unbearable. I guess a Vegas casino is not for that person!! Anyway, nice low table minimums, $5 BJ and $1 roulette. A nice change from Strip Casinos where you often are hard pressed to find $25 blackjack. Drink service was fast and friendly, we were playing video poker alot and always tipped $3 for two drinks. This is apparently a good tip there as we were offered refills faster than we could drink them. Nice bonus, I hit a royal flush.

Restaurants: The Courtyard Cafe was excellent, food was good and very reasonable. Good service.

Don Miguels- Very good Mexican food. The coupon book at check in gives you a free Margaritta with an entree.

Canal Street- Excellent food, we had a veal dish and King Crab legs. Too bad the waitress was terrible. For their gourmet restaurant, they should not use a waitress that would have been Marginal for Denny's.

Room Service- Only had breakfast, very good food and great room service personnel.

TGIFridays- Good food, just like all the other ones.

We had the buffet once for breakfast, good selection, good service.

Sazio- Pretty good Italian food and found great service.

We have been to Vegas at least 40 times, having stayed just about everywhere, from 4Queens to Four Seasons. For the money, we have found Orleans to be a real gem.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
19  Thank mjb225

Reviewed November 26, 2006

We stayed at the Orleans from Friday Nov 24 - Sunday the 26th. After checking online for the cheapest rate, I called the hotel directly and they matched the price. We arrived early and they checked us in. Unfortunately they did not have two queens available - only a king bed. They said we could get 2 roll away beds (we were traveling with our 8, 5 and 9 month old), but it would cost an extra $15 a night per bed. I wasn't happy about this but what could we do. They told us to check back later to see if anything opened up. Luckily when we checked back - they had a 2 queen room - so we switched without a problem.

The second room was darker than the first room, but it was completely smoke free (unlike some other smoke free rooms we have stayed in in Vegas) and large. It was also clean. no complaints on the room (especially considering it was MUCH cheaper than hotels on the strip).

Had the breakfast buffet - good food and selection for $6.95 (only $3.50 for the kids). We didn't eat anywhere else at the hotel, so no comments on the other food.

The tables had low limits (surprising for a holiday weekend) and the dealers were friendly. Tables were crowded - but not impossible to get.

My older two kids LOVED the Kids Thyme. We dropped them off for three hours on Saturday night and they didn't want to leave when we went to get them. A couple of tips if you are planning on using the kids club. Make reservations. They were turning people away as they were full both Friday and Saturday night. You need to bring a copy of your child's immunization records (this is stated on their website) and the kids must have socks.

The kids wanted to go down and use the pool and jacuzzi Saturday night, unfortunately it closed at 5:00 pm (it was open later the night before - my fault for not checking).

On check out, the had added the roll-away to the bill even though we ended up not needing them. We called down to the front desk and they removed them right away.

Overall - we found the staff extremely friendly and helpful and the hotel was fine. It isn't 4stars - but then again - we paid less than $100/night on a holiday weekend.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
7  Thank juxie
Reviewed November 24, 2006

just return from 5 nite stay. thanks to all you folks on trip advisor for the in-outs. just want to let everyone know that the orleans has been bought out --all- the coast properties have and things are not the same. my stay was from nov 19th- 24th 2006. i am and executive chef by profession and know this industry. all the floor managers i spoke to and had any dealings with were very nervous. they spoke openly of there concern. the customer is not the first concern. some actually told my they were afarid to say anything because of there jobs & families so close to x-mas. some changes-- the gym sauna and whirpool now 10 dollars for the guess. -- coffee in your room - you know that instant junk . first cup free after that 1.75 a cup charge to your room. if you have a problem with your food say dinner etc. it will not be fixed until floor mangers sends it back to the chef. then he or she says yes or no . then there must still be a call to the food and beverage dept. to decide if your complaint is valid before they will make a decision. boy by now i am hungry. the new food & beverage director will then say no. the floor mangers are helpless to fix your problems. All your tips about the smoke were dead on . its unbearable. and my wife smokes so i am used to it. check--in also as advised is a nighmare. long lines. when we checked in the line started at registation wraped all the way around the front door pasted the coffee shop passed the ice cream palor and deep into the casion total time 1hr. sun afternoon 3:00pm thanks hope this will help.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10  Thank ExecChef
Reviewed November 20, 2006

I was planning on giving this hotel a rating of 2 after being there about 15 minutes. The hallways are a little shabby, and the location is just too far from the Strip to walk. There is a shuttle that runs from Orleans to the Barbary Coast, center Strip, every hour, but I didn't want to have to rely on something like that to get me back to the Orleans at night.

I set my suitcases in my room and went down to play in the poker room for about three hours. When I returned to my room, my laptop computer was stolen, right out of its bag. I spent a few hours with security, filling out forms and getting next to no information. I walked away with a phone number to call for updates on their investigation, though they promised they would call me as well. It's been two weeks now, and I haven't heard from them, despite leaving several messages on the answering machine of the number they gave me.

The rooms are good-sized, but the location of the hotel is lacking. And while I can't completely blame the hotel for the missing laptop, they're disappointing in their pursuit of it.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled solo
12  Thank MikeTA
Reviewed November 16, 2006

My son and I stayed at The Orleans Nov. 8-13, and absolutely loved it. I have been to LV 6 to 7 times, and this was my first time staying at this hotel. The room was large and comfy, even had a small sofa, chair, and coffee table. Housekeeping was excellent. A "Do Not Disturb" Sign hung on the door avoided the early 8am knock on the door. I love the slots, and found the machines to be very generous, especially the quarter triple diamond machines, 2 coins. My son was very lucky on the video poker machine at the bar. We ate at the Prime Rib Steakhouse, which was outstanding. Good food and good service. The Sidewalk Cafe is nice also, and reasonable. First time ever that I came home with the money I left with, plus some. I will definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank slots4fun
Reviewed November 15, 2006

Definitely a good choice. Luxurious: No; Extremely comfortable: Absolutely. I got a good rate, so booked a rental car w/ the savings and drove to the convention center & strip everyday.
You can park just about everywhere for free so that turned out to be a zero hassle. Plus 10 miles outside of Vegas is the awesome Red Rocks Canyon. That is a very impressive 14 mile loop road w/ loads of great hiking.
I booked the 10th floor with a strip view. The view was okay but what I really liked were the morning sunrises from behind the Luxor. I thought that the rooms were spacious. And I did like that little window that opens from the shower. The casino was a bit smokey but I'm not a big gambler, so really didn't care. Front desk was very friendly both ways. Housekeeping deserved their tip. Good security inside and out.in the parking lot.
I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled on business
4  Thank Pete B
Reviewed November 14, 2006

Here's a little history if you will bear with me.

Booked the room directly by phone after checking other websites. As prices lowered I called and the operators always met the lowest price available. Keep checking internet prices after booking, it's a volatile market. Paid $55 a night after initial booking at over $70 a night for three midweek nights Oct 23-26

We have been to Vegas over 25 times in the last 30 years. First visit was to the Sands (now the site of the Venetian) and the Castaways Motel (now the Mirage) during the Rat Pack's reign, on the cusp of Howard Hughes early remake of Vegas. Each visit saw amazing changes. We have stayed at the old MGM (now Bally's), Imperial Palace, the old Aladdin, the Jockey Club, the Maxim (now gone), Harrahs, The Riviera, Bally's, The Hilton, Mirage, Rio, Venetian, in Mesquite (about 75 miles North of LV), and now The Orleans. In other words, from de luxe (Venetian) to de worst (The Riviera.)

The Orleans fits in neatly in the middle, good value, good accomodations, fair food at a fair price. Lots of (empty) poker tables, only two 3 card poker tables, no Spanish 21, which is our favorite table game. The pocket bathroom door is impossible to close without loud squeaks at 3 AM. At my age (70) late night visits are the norm . The coffee shop is well located and pretty good. Here's a tip, get your breakfast coffee at the lobby Starbucks and carry it to the coffee shop. The upstairs Prime Rib Room is so-so but the price is right. Chinese food pretty good. Other reviewers have covered all the other restaurants and other amenities.

As others have noted the parking is far from the room elevators. Security is on hand in the main elevator lobby but is ineffectual. A scuzzy looking character in front of us didn't show his keycard one evening. So neither did I. Neither of us was challenged. He didn't choose a floor so I did and we and he got off the elevator at my NON-SMOKING floor. He immediately lit up and parked himself on the floor lobby's couch to continue his loud cell phone conversation. About 10 minutes later I went out for ice and he was still talking and smoking. I went out again for soda a little later with same results. This time I said "This is a non smoking floor", as any one with a room there would know. He said "I know" and kept flagrantly puffing away. Not one to be ignored, I said "So why are you still smoking?" in my sweetest manner. Perhaps he detected some sarcasm when he retorted in a series of oaths. I kept walking but reported him (and the lackadasical lobby guard) to Security from my room. I checked later and he was gone. The moral, security is to make us feel good and just maybe deter the bad guys. Keep your eyes open.

All in all the Orleans is a good alternative to downtown or the older cheap strip hotels. But don't think it offers luxury on the cheap. Comps are very hard to come by here if you only play the table games.

We visited The Wynn which is just out of sight. Also loved the new Red Rock Casino. Wow!!!! Watch for specials, The Venetian is offering selected weekdays for $119 and Wynn for about $149 during Nov and Dec.

Enjoy, and Good Luck