“what a pit”

Ranked #54 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Fairfax VA
“what a pit”
Reviewed September 1, 2006

What a dump. Dirty, nasty,, old, rude, not to mention the usual, that you get in Las Vegas, smoky and disgusting, They got our room wrong, nasty about it. miserable

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
5 Thank logicaldog

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,338)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed September 1, 2006

Get real, people. This is NOT a three or four star resort. Not by Las Vegas standards anyway.
The rooms are big, but not luxurious in any way. The pool area is good, but not spectacular. The casino has all the games you expekt, but none of that special feel you get at some of the casinos on the strip.
The Orleans is a good deal, I'll give them that. But if your main priority is a big, nice, cheap room - not a Strip location - I would rather stay at The Orleans' brand new sister-hotel, South Coast. It's even further away from the Strip, but in my opinion you'll need a car if you stay at either of these hotels. And the Sout Coast is an even better deal.

• Liked — The price
  • Tips/Secrets — Rent a car if you stay here
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled solo
3 Thank Thorsk
LONDON
Reviewed August 31, 2006

All depends what you want from a hotel.
This was my fifth time in Vegas, but my first staying off of the strip. I chose this hotel because of all the great reviews on here.
The hotel was excellent value for money and exceptionally clean.
The pool was lovely with sunloungers always available. I found the food to be only average, but good value.
I was apprehensive about staying off of the strip, but read about the free strip shuttle so decided to give it a go. This is where it gets a bit negative! I don't drive, but am quite happy to walk quite long distances. This wasn't possible to the strip from this hotel. The distance wasn't the problem, there was no where to walk, quite often the case for the pedestrian in some parts of Vegas.
The strip shuttle was reliable, but returning late at night became a bit of a free for all, with no real queing system. Therefore people tended to just push in. It's seating only, and as you can imagine this sometimes meant people not being able to get on.

On the whole i missed being on the strip. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who drives or isn't worried about the location, because the value for money is fantastic

• Liked — EXCELLENT VALUE, VERY CLEAN
  • Disliked — LOCATION
  • Tips/Secrets — USE THE SHUTTLE DURING THE DAY, DROPS AT BARBARY COAST WHICH IS CENTRAL TO ANYWHERE YOU WANT TO GO
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled solo
15 Thank BLACKJACK49
Boston
Reviewed August 30, 2006

Twice a year I go to Vegas and I like to stay at a couple different hotels as I am always there for at least a week. But each visit I always stay at least a couple of nights at the Orleans. This hotel has a great "feel" to it. The rooms are large and spotless, the restaurants decent, the casino bars are easily accessible, the staff friendly, the parking is easy, check in is always quick, etc, etc, etc, I am a fan of this hotel!

Stayed August 2006
16 Thank Fitguy
phoenix
Reviewed August 28, 2006

Have stayed at this hotel seeral times since it open. This last time I noticed some fraying on the towels and shower curtains and other signs of wear and tear. The food didn't seem up to previous standards. I think they are living on last years awards. Gambling here is a joke. The machines are so tight that when you put money in, they say "Thanks for the donations" Seriously this is no longer a place to gamble. They do have poker tournaments, but they are controlled by the locals who are allowed to play as a team against you. You don't have a chance Many of the players are employees of this hotel or other hotels from the same chain. I'm not an advocate of kids in casinos, but this hotel seems a good choice if you going with kids. The rooms sre big enough to hold a familey of five or six comfortably. They have cheap food, a food court, and a large pool. They even hae an upstairs kiddy playland and movey theaters. With internet booking as low as $30 during the week on some websights, it can be a good buy for large famileys. Oh ! They have always matched whatever internet price I came up with, and you do need a car to get anywhere or pay very high taxi prices..

• Liked — Room size
  • Disliked — Ti8ghtening up on all gambling and food quality decline.
  • Tips/Secrets — If your getting a car look ar the South Coast(same chaine, or the Red Rocks Casino. These are both two newer ones.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
11 Thank danny888
Orange, California
Reviewed August 25, 2006

Just returned from a 4 night stay at the Orleans. Found a great rate at expedia for $33 a night, and called the Orleans directly, and they matched it. Nothing in Vegas compared to that price, that I would want to stay at. Short drive to the strip, less than five minutes without traffic. If you do not have a car, I would think hard about staying on the strip, taxi fees add up, but Orleans does provide a shuttle to the strip, but only runs until midnight, so I did not use it. But, if you have your own transportation and want to save your money for entertainment, food, and gambling, then I highly recommend the Orleans. Great big rooms, convenient parking garage, great theme, and nice views of the strip. If this place was on the strip, the price would be 4 to 5 times the price, and probably still worth it. Did not use the pool, but it looked big and nice. I recommend the $3.45 steak and eggs special after 12am, delicious!

• Liked — the price
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — shop around for price, they match competitors
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Angelfan
Polson, Montana
Reviewed August 23, 2006

My mom and I stayed at the Orleans the last week of May 2006 for 3 nights. The taxi fare seemed outrageous ($20) to get us there from the airport at 1 in the morning. Otherwise, when we arrived we loved the exterior. It is done up very cute! Upon entering the hotel we checked in without any problems. Our room was large and clean. The bad thing was that you have to walk through the very smoky casino to get to the elevators. I liked that they had a security guard checking keys, although they didn't always check. We had breakfast in the cafe twice which was very good for Vegas 24/7 cafe food. We also ate at TGI Fridays two nights which is also very good. The Orleans is a ways from the strip, but definately utilize their free shuttle service! We could have saved taxi money if we had used it our first day. Because it was 107 degrees outside we decided to take a taxi to the Wynn because we thought it would be too hot to walk from Barbary Coast, but if we had been thinking we should have taken the shuttle to Barbary and then taken a taxi to the Wynn. We could have saved money by starting at the Coast. The shuttle is great and doesn't really have a set schedule. Beware though that it doesn't leave the hotel until 10 AM so breakfast off the property is either later or you have to take a cab. The last day our plane didn't leave until 9 PM so we were able to check our luggage to be held at the bell desk while we shopped on the Strip. That worked out really well, and seemed very secure. All in all the Orleans was a great property for the very reasonable price and we will definately stay there again.

• Liked — The price was great & Great restaurants on site
  • Disliked — Very smoky
  • Tips/Secrets — Use the free shuttle service to get to the strip.
  • Stayed May 2006