“Pleasant Surprse!”

The Orleans Hotel & Casino
Ranked #54 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
“Pleasant Surprse!”
Reviewed November 21, 2005

Just got back from spending a night at the Orleans...what a pleasant surprise!...I was able to book a room for $26 because the hotel matches any web price plus gives you an extra 5% off...the room was big and clean...I liked that they had security checking keys before letting people onto the elevators...check in was a breeze...I had no problem with the shuttle going back and forth to the strip...I do think they could use a couple more shuttles would be helpful as I did see some folks get left behind...although I didn't gamble or eat at any of the restaurants I will next time...overall it was a good eperience.

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,339)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed November 21, 2005

My husband and I just got back from a two-day stay at the Orleans and I have to agree with the other reviews. It is a great value and the rooms are very comfortable. The shuttle is a good thing, but as mentioned before, it would be nice if there were more of them.

We saw Engelbert in the showroom and that was fabulous. There's not a bad seat in the house. We bought our tickets as a package and I'm not quite sure why the tickets you purchase that way are so far back. You'd think getting them through the hotel you'd get close-up seats. But like I said, they weren't bad seats. For 2 nights, 2 show tickets and 2 buffet dinners it only cost $169. You can't beat that!

14 Thank cimel
Denver, CO
Reviewed November 19, 2005

We drove from Denver to Disneyland and planned to stop for one night in Las Vegas. We were travelling with my mother-in-law, sister-in-law, and five children ages 3 to 13. We wanted a place that was family friendly and off the strip, and the Orleans was exactly that. Our rooms FAR exceeded our expectations for the price. They were very elegant, clean, and tastefully decorated. We enjoyed the food at the all you can eat buffet, and the pool area was a good size and had a nice children's area. Our favorite part of the hotel was the entertainment upstairs; they have a movie theater, arcade, and a child care center. The kids spent about 2 hours in the arcade which was a great way to expend their excess energy after a day in the car, driving through the desert. For families with small children, I would definitely suggest that you take advantage of the child care so the adults can spend some time on the strip. All in all, it was a great stay.

• Stayed June 2005
11 Thank Eastlakelane
Reviewed November 19, 2005

Good, clean room with prompt housekeeping; better than most "upscale" places we've stayed. Easy access to 24 hour restaurant with good food at reasonable prices. Off the strip is plus (without crowds of people just wandering through) and minus (off the strip) and plus (a free shuttle). Several times we tired of waiting for the shuttle and enlisted another couple to get a cab, making it cheap for both of you to get to the strip more quickly. We also took a cab when we wanted to get to shows quickly - expensive? at $15 usually with tip, but if you pick up with another couple it's half price and since your wallet is always open in Las Vegas, it's just another cost. Staff was helpful and friendly.

• Stayed October 2005
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 19, 2005

Families with children will especially like the fact they can put their kids in day care or the movie theatre or even keep em busy with some bowling. Otherwise, this place isn't as great as everyone else claims. The buffet was mediocre and service wasn't all that great. I was given a smoking room despite requesting non-smoking 2 weeks prior when I booked this. They said they would move me the next day but never did, despite me asking. I liked the shuttle that took me to Barabary Coast but wish it ran later than midnight, as I wound up spending $15 to get back later on.

• Stayed August 2005
7 Thank kbp619
Reviewed November 18, 2005

My first visit to Las Vegas and the Conference Hotel was already booked - after reading reviews on this site I decided to take a chance on cheap and cheerful. Was I ever glad I did! The ten minute trip by cab to the stip averaged $11.00 and I never had to wait for a cab. The food in the three restaurants I tried was good quality for pricing and the buffet was everything you could wish for and more - at least 10 selections of cake, pie and other desserts were sugar free. My room was spotless, the bed comfortable, and although I was by the elevator I never heard it once!

Lots of families with babies and toddlers - great daycare on the 2nd floor.

Only downside was all the smoke on the casino floor, but that was the case in all the hotels, if this is a problem best choose a hotel without a casino.

I would not hesitate to go back or to send friends there.

• Stayed November 2005, traveled on business
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Vancouver,B.c.
Reviewed November 17, 2005

My wife and I have just returned from a week at the Orleans. We read a lot of reviews on the hotel and some friends recommended it as well and since the rates were cheap compared to the strip we decided to try it. We were not disappointed one bit. The rooms were huge, clean and comfortable. The staff were all very friendly and willing to help if needed. The casino was a bit smoky at times however it wasn't that bad. There were tons of slots which seemed to pay good over the week we were there and the poker room was excellent.

The buffet was excellent as well. The breakfast buffet was $6.45 per person and included coffee, juice etc and you had dozens of items to choose - from regular eggs, omelets, bacon etc to mexican, to chinese to italian etc etc. plus all the fresh fruits, salads etc. They even had desserts at breakfast. The buffet for lunch and dinner was awesome as well. Steak night on Wednesday was excellent and you could eat as much steak and shrimp as you want. Absolutely everything you could think of. If a person couldn't find something they liked, then there was definitely something wrong.

The Prime Rib Loft was very good as well as the Japanese, Italian and the Pub. All were very good so a person could eat every meal at the Orleans and have quite a variety and the prices were very reasonable.

The security guard checking for room keys before you reached the elevator was a nice touch and a good feeling.

The shuttle to and from the strip was okay. We never had a problem and never had to wait more than 20 minutes. They do need to have more shuttles running since some only go to the Gold Coast and the Sun Coast. They could have more shuttles and a better system that would alleviate some of the wait time since there are only 19 seats on the shuttle and there is no standing. Some people did complain however it wasn't that bad and they are looking into getting a better service. Also you can take the bus (201) which stops across the street for $1.25 and it takes you to the strip by the Tropicana/New York New York so that's another option.

If your walking the strip and looking at hotels etc be prepared top walk because you will be doing a lot of it. We stopped and took a lot of "breaks" which definitely helped so make sure you have comfortable shoes.

We took the monorail one day to try it. What a mistake. The monorail is located behind the properties which didn't seem too bad at first however they are a looooonnnnnggggg way back there. It took us an hour to go from the Luxor to MGM and we could have walked it in 20 minutes. So in other words we walked an extra 40 minutes just to take the monorail. I would recommend taking The Deuce (bus) for $2.00 as it will take you up and down the strip.

The Orleans also gives you a Funbook when you check in which has 2 for 1 dinner buffets, free drinks ( even though the coupon says Gold Coast, you can use it The Orleans, plus other coupons that will save you money.

We didn't go bowling or see a movie in their theatres but we talked to people that did and they said both were very good.

If you are looking for a friendly place to stay, with all the conveniences of a Strip hotel but at third the price, then this is a great hotel. We are planning a return visit in the spring.

If you have any questions, just ask and I will answer the best I can.

47 Thank beachluver