“A complete destination recommended for families or conventions”

The Orleans Hotel & Casino
Ranked #56 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I recently attended a seminar for work here and was pleasantly surprised with it. The hotel is a huge property with numerous restaurants including Subway, TGIF, Sbarro, Baskin Robbins, Fuddrucker's, coffee shop and a standard Vegas buffet. It also has a few higher end restaurants offering seafood at one and prime rib at another, but I didn't go to any of those although pictures of their food are in the elevators and certainly looked appealing. The property also contains a 16 screen movie theater with all new releases, a full size bowling alley, a massive play area for kids (a shot record is needed to check a kid in just fyi) consisting of a lot of interconnected tunnels like you see in a fast food play area but on a much more massive scale, and an arcade. It also has a huge convention center attached by a breezeway where they have concerts etc and it would be a great place to get a room and crash after a big event instead of driving home. There is also a gambling floor with lots of slot machines, craps tables, card games etc, but kids are not allowed in those areas, of course. There are several bar areas where you can sit and catch a game or play video poker if you prefer and a fair sized sports parlor area with everything from basketball games to horse races offered. Its more of an area than one of the cavernous rooms you find at the Mirage or Caesars, but its big enough if you like that stuff or you just want to put some wagers on upcoming games. Smoking is allowed in gambling and drinking areas which is the norm, but personally it annoys me so I always hope to find one that doesn't allow it, but haven't yet. Still, its less smoky and stale than most casinos I have been to including the Bellagio. There is also a big pool area, but I didn't go out there since it was January and it was closed. I also didn't use the spa, but it looked pretty impressive and advertised a lot of the standard hot rock treatments etc that other places offer. It also has a fitness center which is pretty well equipped and bigger than most hotel fitness centers. It mostly offers various kinds of cardio equipment but it does have a few mult-exercise weight machines and a fairly good selection of dumbbells plus plenty of tvs and such. They even had a liquor store inside of the property which you don't see very often, but fit in with the property which seems to take its role as a one stop location pretty seriously.

The prices on the restaurants, movies etc are moderate as well and there are even coupons/special deals such as reduced price movie admission before 5 pm etc which can make it a reasonably priced place to spend some time. All of these things together make this a pretty good choice if you are passing through and want to find a family friendly place to entertain your kids for awhile or if you have business in Las Vegas and just want to stay someplace where you can do what you need to do without the hassle of the strip and finding food that isn't outrageously priced. The trade off is that if it is a grown up only trip or a special occasion then it isn't as glitzy and sexy as a hotel on the strip, but its more than adequate for other more mundane trips.

I had a nice stay and it was more than adequate for the seminar I attended on the property which was conveniently offered in some nice rooms on the 2nd floor of the property. I have been to other seminars in Vegas where the meeting rooms were cramped, noisy or smelled like a wet ashtray, but these were nice and I didn't have to parade up and down the streets of Las Vegas trying to find a meal for less than $50 at dinner time. Lunch was catered each day of the seminar and it was very good if that is something you are considering when setting one up.

There were a few things that were a little irritating though although none of them were deal breakers.

First, a reservation was made and the rooms were paid for many months in advance for a King sized bed, non-smoking room not close to the elevator. When I arrived, however, the desk clerk typed furiously on her computer for what seemed to be close to 10 minutes before explaining that she had "found" a room for me as if I had walked in off the street asking for a room. She then described it as 2 queen beds, smoking, near the elevators which was about as far from what I had reserved as you could get, but I didn't throw a fit or anything. It did confuse me a little bit though and I asked if she could at least find something in non-smoking since that really bugs my allergies sometimes. She typed away again for a few minutes, asked her manager a few questions and called the cleaning staff, but finally "found" a 2 queen bed, non-smoking, next to an elevator which turned out to be handicap accessible. Again, none of that was a show stopper or something I haven't had happen before, but it did irritate me a little bit since I had not only had reservations for months in advance, but had paid for it all up front then got no explanation or apology at all except a shrug as if I was lucky they found anything at all. The room itself was clean, but a little dated with some peeling wallpaper in a few spots and the elevators ran almost continuously all night long including incessant "dings" which could be heard as it arrived at various floors, but it was otherwise fine and the beds were comfortable. I will also say though that among the many places I have stayed in Las Vegas that this one seemed to settle down quite a bit around 11 pm as opposed to the 2 am that most others do so that helped out in terms of sleeping. The room was pretty spacious (possibly because it was handicap accessible too though) and the bathroom had everything you could need including a hair dryer and all the various shampoos etc you find in a hotel.

Second, there is nothing near this property except some adult video stores and a tattoo parlor so if you are the adventurous type who likes to walk around and explore you would have to walk past a lot of seedy stuff then cross a major highway with little or no shoulder area to find anything worth exploring. The property though has everything you could want or need inside and its reasonably priced so there is really no reason to do so anyway unless you just want to look around or have a specific place you are desperate to go. The property itself is huge and well controlled so you never feel unsafe or anything while you are there, but you probably wouldn't want to walk anywhere off the property in that immediate area. They do, however, have a free shuttle bus that takes you to the other property owned by Boyd gaming (Gold Coast) which is just down the road near the Rio as well as Ballys which is on the Strip and attached to Paris by a mall. I also saw advertisements for a monorail you can buy passes for that stops along the strip and even goes downtown, but I never figured out where it stopped so I can't say whether that's worth locating or not. Of course they also have a huge valet area with a bunch of cabs etc around so you can always use one of those as well and its a pretty short cab ride to the strip.

Finally, if you decide to stay on the property most of the time like I did you will probably end up eating at the buffet at least once and maybe a few times simply because it offers a large variety at a reasonable price. Its hard to call this a negative really, but I did get a little tired of it by the end of my stay and it always offered the same items with differing levels of quality depending on when I went. Overall the buffet is a plus for the property and I do recommend it, but if you are expecting one of the more extravagant spreads like the Bacchanal at Caesars you will be disappointed. I would suggest joining the players club before going because it gets you a discount of $3 off each buffet making dinner about $15 with drink included (but not the tip so please don't forget to tip) which is a bargain just about anywhere in the country, but especially in Vegas. The buffet itself certainly isn't the best you could find in Vegas, but it isn't pretending to be either and considering the price its actually one of the best bargains in town. Prime rib is offered at dinner and it was very good one night, but overly dry another although I went close to closing time too so that's not abnormal. Overall though I thought it was very good and they had a nice offering of horseradish and au jus to go along with it. They also offered sushi, bar-b-q ribs, and a pretty nice salad bar with fresh fruit among the more notable items. It is set up like most buffets with "stations" offering various cuisines including asian, italian, mexican, roasted meats, 2 salad bars and a dessert area. Each of the stations had at least one thing that stood out above the others, but usually several along with less exotic favorites such as pizza, fried rice and spaghetti. The dessert area has the standard cakes, pies and soft serve machines you might see at a Golden Corral, but they also offer about 12 flavors of hand dipped ice cream including chocolate, strawberry and some less common flavors. I especially enjoyed the mango ice cream myself, but there were several that looked equally good I didn't try. So overall the buffet is a plus to the property in that it is a bargain price and has generally good quality with good variety, but in low traffic times it can be a little tired.

Bottom line is that I wasn't sure what to expect from this property but I was pleasantly surprised. I was prepared for a tired old rundown property with dingy carpet that smelled like an old spittoon since it was off the strip and all, but it was clean and well managed with exceptional facilities for the seminar I attended. The complaints I had are somewhat inconsequential, but were irritating enough to be worth mentioning although certainly nothing that would make me avoid it in the future. I would stay here again and if I had to travel to Vegas with family or attend a training conference and if I was arranging a conference in Vegas it would be at the top of my list.

Room Tip: Make sure to specify a non-smoking room if that is important to you because they do allow smoking in...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank John H

Reviewed January 26, 2014

Hey Now!
we stayed once again.
Dec 24- Jan 03
Room 940.
The room had just been remodeled. New carpet, furniture, fixtures. Very nice. Great service, food, and gaming. We saw Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, too!

Room Tip: 9th floor is the bomb....first off/ last on right side elevators.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank flysrb
Reviewed January 26, 2014

If you have been to Vegas many times and don't feel the need to experience the strip, this is a great option. My sister and I rented a car so we could still go to all our favorite paces. Felt very safe coming and going. The casino is large so it's not too smokey. Friendly staff, and security checking for room keys before getting on elevators. We aren't big time gamblers and really enjoyed the many budget priced machines.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 25, 2014

We were staying because of curling..... great facility... didn't have to drive... and shuttle service was busy but good.... food service wasn't the best..... not enough service personnel for the big crowd.....

Room Tip: If hotel is full don't expect to get any meals in timely fashion..... not enough food services...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 25, 2014

We love the Orleans and have stayed there more than 15 times. When we stayed this time, there was a cheer competition in the Arena and the whole place was overrun with kids and families. We have kids and grandkids ourselves, but Las Vegas isn't the place for them. We waited in line to get on the elevator, which is ridiculous, and the hallways were packed with oblivious people. If we had wanted to stay at Circus Circus, we would have booked a room there. Which we never would.

We will return to the Orleans because it's our favorite casino/hotel. But we'll check to make sure there is no such event before booking next time.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Shmrck5S
Reviewed January 24, 2014

The rooms are clean and roomy, updated but not fancy. Housekeeping is great, elevators and hallways are always tidy. Great security as well. The restaurants in the hotel are very good, but you have to go through the casino which is very smoky. The attached arena is great, pool and hot tub are wonderful. Would recommend to anyone who wants something off the strip.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank MaryAnn D
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Have stayed here 15 times over the last 10 years and have NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. Whether

you are a firster or a veteran this is a can't miss facility for food,movies,slots,table games and

security. We find the staff to be friendly and efficient Shuttle to the strip is the way to go,

usually right on time.

Room Tip: The Prime Rib loft is a must. The coffee shop steak and shrimp special was super.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family