“I hate to say it...”

The Orleans Hotel & Casino
Ranked #54 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
“I hate to say it...”
Reviewed September 4, 2003

I really hesitate to write my review because those of us who have experienced don't want this wonderful hotel's rates to sky rocket or have it be sold out when we want to go.
My wife and I visit Las Vegas atleast twice a year. We had our favorite moderately expensive property right on the strip that we tended to stay at most often. However, after reading the reviews for The Orleans here this spring, we took a chance and booked a room for the first week of August.
Unbelievable! Close-in parking. Our first stop was the registration desk. No lines, plenty of friendly front desk help. Gave my name, 2 minutes later I have my room keys. Following the careful directions given to us, we walked through the nice, bright casino, showed our room key to the 24 hour guard at the room elevators, and zipped quickly up to our nice, bright floor.
The room was exactly as described by other reviewers here. Huge, like new, clean, bright, and nicely appointed. Our room had all the niceaties that you find in the more expensive hotels- marble bathroom, iron and board, nice selection of soaps, mouth wash, shampoos, and large, fluffy towels. Kingsize bed was very comfortable. Nice sitting area, individual climate control, opening window in the bath.
The pools and pool areas were spacious, not overly crowded, and the towel, bar, and drink service employees were friendly and efficient. The casino is nicely sized with a great selection of minimum play prices. Slot club is the best I've found yet in over 15 years of going to Las Vegas. Earned two free dinner buffets after well less than $200 worth of slot play.
Food and selection at the buffet was at least as good, and in some cases better, than good the Rio or Aladdin buffets. We had great food and service at the other resturants at the The Orleans as well. The Mexican restaurant in particular was very good. Bars and free entertainment were top-notch.

Did I mention we paid $33.00 a night for our room?!

To top this all off, I filled out one of the postage paid comment/suggestion cards from our room and dropped it the mailbox at the airport when we flew home. Three days after I arrived home I received a personal response in the mail from an Orleans manager thanking me for my suggestions, and indicating that he would bring them up at the next staff meeting!
Orleans...please keep up the truely wonderful work! You've impressed the two of us, and we now have a new favorite property.
-Bill R.

Stayed January 2005
15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,339)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Reviewed August 31, 2003

A friend who was visiting had never been to Las Vegas, so I booked us in at the Orleans. Never having stayed there before, I didn't know what to expect. Easy check in, asked for a room near the elevator because of a knee injury, no problem, friendly, and most of all, clean. We were amazed at the beautiful and spacious room, at the great rate. Of course, the Orleans has THE BEST BUFFET in Vegas. The slots were good paybacks as well. We found it very convenient and friendly. We are definitely going back.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Iowa City, IA
Reviewed August 22, 2003

Based on the reviews I read on this site, we stayed at the Orleans July 12-16 and it was just as I expected. Nice rooms, plenty of video poker, and decent food. It was often difficult to get a drink during the off hours as there were not many cocktail waitresses around - especially if you wanted coffee! I would have liked to have seen a few more $5 slot machines (there are only 4) but the $1 slots seemed to fairly consistently pay off in the $200-$300 range...often enough to keep playing and there were enough video poker progressives in the casino that several were "pay off" size each day. If you like to play - the Orleans is the place for you but remember you're not going to be near any other casinos!

1 Thank kathybrez
Reviewed August 22, 2003

Stayed there the night of August 18, 2003 for one night with my twin 15 year olds. The previous night was spent at the Stratosphere. Having read the reviews of both, which imply the Stratosphere to be dubious and the Orleans to be exquisite, I was surprised to find them to be quite equal overall, had I not had some problems that Orleans refused to deal with. Overall, the Orleans is a nice place to stay, and a bargain, but I'm absolutely baffled by its #1 rating on tripadvisor, and by people who rave that they'll take care of problems for you. For me, they didn't. I'd stay at Stratosphere (love their casino, observation deck, and rides) or Gold Rush (love their buffet) before I'd go back to Orleans.Here is the story: I had not been sure whether I'd be arriving in Las Vegas on August 17 or 18, so I booked and prepaid for a room at Orleans for August 18. Note that I said one room.
It was booked on usairways.com (where I was Chairman's Preferred during 1999, 2000, and 2001...and I tend to still use them for reservations) and appeared to have been made by usairways.com using Travelocity, who in turn booked it at a SABRE prepaid rate of $33.93 Before leaving for vacation on August 12, I checked my USAirways reservations, and there it was: one room at Orleans 8/18, prepaid and nonrefundable for $33.94.
Then I checked my credit card and there were two identical charges 2 days apart for $36.25 each. Presumably SABRE, Travelocity, USAirways, or someone along the line decided to take the extra $2.31 per day. No big deal, certainly not the fault of the hotel. But charging TWO days instead of ONE day is a big deal. Not the hotel's fault, but also not my fault. Just hopefully a problem that they or I can fix, short of doing a credit card chargeback, right? WRONG!!The first time I tried booking it online, the (USAirways.com) website bombed out (some typical "Cannot complete transaction, maybe you hit the back button, or maybe a software error" message) and never finished, never sent the confirming email, and never showed up as a reservation in my usairways account status. So two days later, I checked that it hadn't gone through, then I tried again, and it did show up OK. So I leave for vacation with one room showing on the reservation site. One confirmation number for one room. And two rooms charged, two days apart, on my online credit card statement with precious little info other than "Discount Hotel" in Texas. (Turns out to be an alias for SABRE's charges.)A few days before arriving at Orleans, I call them and ask if I have one room or two, and tell them the whole sad story. I offer to either arrive there on the 17th instead of 18th, and call it even by taking one room for 2 nights, or to cancel the extra room which was never actually purchased by me, but was charged to my card by SABRE in error.They refuse to do either thing, but offer to sell me a room on the 17th for $59 in addition. So I can pay 3-1/2 days rate for 2 days, or pay 2 days rate for 1 day.
Thanks, but no thanks.Orleans refused to deal with tracking down what went wrong at SABRE or USAirways.com, or to just cancel the room without making me do it "from the travel agent's end". Mind you I'm sitting in a hotel in Holbrook, Arizona on a Sunday, then burning up cellphone time at Meteor Crater as the telephone chapter of this saga comes to an end and I give up. They give me a number to call at SABRE, but I'd already tried that, and the "traveler" access on Sunday morning is nonexistent. I have a friend back home chase SABRE (by impersonating a travel agent) and USAirways.com (by impersonating me) with little luck. USAirways told her to either charm the hotel into accepting a cancellation, or to just refuse the second credit card charge....they were honest enough to say that route would be easier than fighting their own system to get them to admit their online error, or to have SABRE fix it.So on the 17th we stay at the Stratosphere, which proves to be a nicer experience for us than the Orleans anyway. Night of the 17th, pump $100 into slots at Stratosphere in a session lasting 4 hours at just one $1 (x2) slot machine, win a $500 jackpot and put it firmly in my wallet. Being up $400, I was tempted to stay at Stratosphere another night and forget the whole Orleans/SABRE/USAirways.com ordeal.
But a paid-for room is a paid-for room....so after buying an "unlimited all day" pass to the Stratosphere rides, it's off to Orleans we went.They expect me to check into both rooms, and I tell them the whole story, that I only ordered one. I have the confirmation paperwork with me. Fine, they say, but we already have your money for both rooms from SABRE, and we won't let you cancel the room. "You have to have SABRE cancel it" they say, and of course at 4:10pm hotel time, the SABRE phone number isn't even taking calls as it's after 6pm CDT. Plus, they say that they're keeping SABRE's money no matter what happens, and that they only want to have me chase SABRE so that I'll get out of paying SABRE. Yikes!So now we get to the room, a nice room. Equally as nice a room as we had at Stratosphere. Only two minor/moderate problems with the room or facilities at Orleans:1. The 150 degree garbage on the other side of the pretty stucco wall from your shady rental car parking spot. 2. The air conditioning controls.The only MAJOR problem is with their money-grubbing reservations folks being unwilling to help fix an error made by neither themselves nor me, even when given plenty of notice about it.Nice view of somewhat distant wasteland from the 12th floor at Orleans, compared to the nice view of the somewhat distant Strip, hotel pool, etc. from the 19th floor at Stratosphere.Both hotels impressed me with clean AC grills or ducts, quite unusual even in nice hotels. Both had nice bathroom floors, walls, fixtures, etc. and were clean. Both made me feel very secure. The Orleans bathroom floor was clearly a color intended to hide dirt, but none was found. The Stratosphere floor was polished black granite and would show dirt easily but none was found.At Orleans, there was a wall AC unit on the exterior wall, and it first appeared that the temperature knob on the AC itself was functional. But in fact, it was disabled, and you had to set a wall thermostat to get it to cool. A bit confusing having to use the on/off/low/hi knob but not the temerature knob on the AC itself.
Because the cold air blows right on the thermostat on its journey from the AC to the main part of the room, we found that setting it at about 6-8 degrees lower than you wanted the room to be was required. In other words, attempt #1 of using the AC knob left us sweltering. Attempt #2 of setting 70 degrees left us at maybe 76-78 degrees, and setting it at 64 actually cooled the room. (The AC setup at Stratosphere was nicer and easier to use than at Orleans. Set the very obvious wall thermostat and let the central AC do its job.)Last but not least, a couple of comments about the gambling at Orleans. I was tempted to play Texas Hold'Em, but because of my success at the slots the previous day at Stratosphere, I decided to play slots. If you're looking to take a whack at a large, progressive top prize, maybe Orleans slots are OK.
Maybe not. There was not a single machine or section with a posted payback rate. I played for a while and saw why. Either the payback is low, or maybe just so much of the payback is at the extreme long-shot end of the scale, or maybe both. I suspect that for anyone who DOESN'T win the $1.5 million progressive jackpot on a $0.25 slot, you get drained of your money pretty quickly. I found just a few machines with sensibly-sized top prizes, so that I could actually play for a while without it just being "lottery ticket" donations to some future big-jackpot winner. And those machines relieved me of $87 in due course. So I should have paid the extra night at Stratosphere and stuck with their marked bank of 98% payback machines. Oh, and one last thing.
We decided to take the shuttle to Gold Rush for the buffet. After waiting and waiting to no avail, we took another walk past the dumpster smell and drove our rental car instead. No big deal to us, but to folks relying upon cabs and shuttles, it's something to think about.The Gold Rush buffet was beyond excellent, with all the food very well prepared.
Simple stuff unusually well executed, and great dessert selections considering the price.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 19, 2003

My family travelled to Las Vegas for the first time (10th to 14th August 2003) and booked the Orleans on the strength of the reviews on Trip Advisor - you were all absolutely right, it's a great place to be!!

The rooms were spacious and well equipped (although we would have liked a coffee pot); check-in took 10 mins max; valet parking and bell-desk both superb (never waited more than 5 minutes for the car); staff helpful and friendly (esp. the pool staff); the pool was brilliant and uncrowded throughout the day (and they played excellent music) and the shuttle service was great!

After visiting a few hotels on the strip, we were delighted to be staying off strip - no noisy visitors or huge crowds - and we were pleased to scuttle back to our 'refuge' at the Orleans.

My only 'gripe' is not really for the hotel but for Nevada as a whole - we're used to taking our (well-behaved) 14 and 10 year olds into a bar with us when we have a drink - they enjoy being treated as 'honorary adults' and rise to the occasion. In Nevada, children are not allowed in any bar (even in the lounge area away from the bar area itself).
When we asked at the Orleans where we could have a drink and take the children, we were told we could buy our cocktails and take them to the coffee shop (which was not the nicest place in the hotel) and drink them there - we felt a bit like lepers, just because we wanted to be with our kids! If you're used to going out with your kids, be aware!

Still, great hotel, great value, great location - stay there!

• Stayed August 2003
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 14, 2003

The room was very big, with 2 beds, a sofa and so on... the bathroom was also very very big and perfectly decorated !... the staff was very nice and there are so many shops in the hall of the hotel... lots of shops and restaurants ! will denitely come back again !

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 13, 2003

Head and shoulders above the rest of the hotels!!! At first I was very worried about " another internet disappointment" but much to our surprise the other reviews were correct. You do get more bang for your buck at the Orleans. Nice huge rooms, excellent security, nice restaurants and shopping. Excellent place for families with kids no matter what age. Will be staying again at the hotel next visit.

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member