“New York-New York is simply awesome!”

New York - New York Hotel and Casino
Ranked #49 of 262 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
Bloomer, Wisconsin
“New York-New York is simply awesome!”
Reviewed April 18, 2010

My wife and I stayed in a Spa Suite at NY-NY, April 4-10th (Room 2305, Century tower). Our view was to the west overlooking the pool area, and a great view of the mountains. We would have liked Strip view but no rooms were available upon check-in. (Checking in was fast and painless.) The rollercoaster rumbled by our windows up until midnight, but the noise really wasn't that bad---we were tuckered out from exploring and gambling and had no problems sleeping. The bed was very comfortable as well. My wife absolutely LOVED the clover-shaped jacuzzi tub in our room.....I even splurged and ordered her hand-dipped chocolate strawberries and a bottle of champagne from room service, which arrived fairly quickly! Maid service was very efficient---everything we needed was supplied promptly every day. My wife also had an appointment at the Spa for a massage. She was like rubber when she met me afterwards at the Lobby Bar. Soooo relaxing, she loved it!

The food selections at NY-NY are excellent! We dined at Gallaghers, Il Fornaio, America and Nine Fine Irishmen during our stay. One word.....excellent! All four restaurants! Didn't get a chance to check out Gonzalez Y Gonzalez----next trip we will. The Village Eateries also had great food. Cocktail waitresses were friendly and fast. I swear I drank at least 50 black russians while playing the slots!! Just make sure you give them a couple bucks each time....otherwise you may go thirsty for awhile.

Our gambling consisted exclusively of MGM Mirage properties and our point balance on our Players Club cards reflected that. (Be SURE to get a card upon arrival. It's free.) Racking up almost 13,000 points in our six night stay garnered us four of the nights comped!! Not bad for a Spa Suite accommodation. I must thank Johnny Kincaid (Casino Host) for that!! He's a great guy, and if you have any problems, he'll help you out or find someone who can. Yeah, we checked out almost every casino on the strip but didn't drop one single nickel in any other properties other than MGM Mirage. It really does pay off in the end.

Only went to one show during the week. We had great seats to see Terry Fator at the Mirage. (Section 101, Row FF, Seat 6-7). Well worth the money to get seats closer to the stage. His show is fantastic!

In conclusion, we are in the early stages of planning another Las Vegas trip, and our home-base WILL BE the New York-New York. Hands down the BEST hotel and casino I've ever stayed at. You won't regret it.

3 Thank bloom1966

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,243)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
LaSalle, Illinois
Reviewed April 18, 2010

Just wanted to say that we had an average stay at the New York New York. The location is really good if you don't plan on leaving that area as its towards the far end of the strip. The hotel doesn't have a buffet which was an inconvenience but not anything we couldn't deal with. We did find that some room service trays stayed out in the hallway for most of a day which was unsightly but again nothing horrible. The room was sufficient and clean however, it overlooked the rollarcoaster and the noise did penetrate some into our room. If the price is right this place will do just fine but there are other values that should be explored first.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bob T
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed April 18, 2010

This is our 4th or 5th visit to NY NY. We have been comped for all our past visits, but paid a minimal fee of $19 per night this time. The surprise, however, was the $13/day resort fee which they tacked on this trip. It seems a lot of hotels are charging this now. We stayed at Monte Carlo next door in November 2009 and they also charged a resort fee of $9/day, which was also new. So beware. Other than that, the stay was as per usual, friendly check-in/out staff, the room was clean and well appointed, albeit getting a bit worn, and the housekeeping was excellent as always. Will stay again if the price is right.

Paris
Reviewed April 12, 2010

Staying at NY-NY for a convention. Bad idea. What's the problem? Beside the facts that this hotel has lived, looks old, outdated and dusty, a simple problem was imposssible to solve: the magnetic key (all the 30 keys I was given) weren't working and there was nothing to do about it. So each time I had to enter my room, I had to find a house phone, call security, wait 10 minutes, identify myself, and finally have access to the room. Each time, each day. And the manager of housekeeping couldn't care less. No attempts to solve the problem or compensate the hassle. Just unacceptable. There are so many great hotels in Vegas. I couldn't think of one single reason why staying at the NY-NY, knowing what's going on there.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank pier-vegas
Mankato, Minnesota
Reviewed April 12, 2010

We were lucky enough to recieve an awesome offer from NYNY on our Player's Card (if you have one - log in online to check offers; don't just wait for emails). Upon arrival we got to use the Invited Guests check-in (avoiding the line at the general registration). I kindly asked the gentleman if there were any complimentary upgrades - he had a stripview room on the top floor - but it was smoking (we'd asked for non). But, definatley took the room. Gave him a tip for his help and went on our merry way.

We ended up in room 1726 and the view was beautiful... some people have complained of the zig-zag hallways and I think they just need something to complain about. I've also herd reports of small bathrooms but found the entire room adequate for my spouse and myself.

We didn't win big in the casino, but didn't loose big either. The one complaint I could have is the lack of Cocktail Waitresses. It was rather tough to get a drink, nomatter the time of day.

The elevators were nice and never had to wait long for one up, or down. They moved pretty rapidly. Chin-Chin had a nice breakfast buffet but not much variety for the price - service there was awesome.

Maid service was excellent and seemed to predict any needs we may have. Kept our room nice and tidy.

Ran into one issue with the "resort fee" - upon arriving to our room we tried to get online with our laptop only to be notified there would be a $14.99/day fee. After discussing with front desk found that the access is already rolled into the resort fee and even though you must accept the daily fee you will not be charged for it on top of the resort fee.

All-in-all it was a beautiful hotel with an interesting theme. We loved our room and will definatley plan a return visit.

2 Thank vegas_gurl
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 12, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the New York, New York for two nights during a surprise birthday trip to Vegas in April 2010 (also our first trip to the Sin City). I chose the NY, NY because of its location on the Strip (which is fantastic) and the great rate I got.

The pros:
- The room was excellent. We had a non-smoking spa suite on the 11th floor. The room was huge - much, much bigger than expected - and very well decorated (leather headboard, nice hardwood furniture). The spa tub in the room was a great feature and I'm so glad I paid extra for it.
- Housekeeping did an excellent job. Our room was clean and well stocked with towels and other toiletries.
- We had an excellent experience at the spa. The woman's locker room was very relaxing, well decorated, well stocked and very relaxing. Our couples massage with Julia and Tim, although a bit high priced, was well worth every penny. The spa was really much better than I expected it to be and was on par with other hotel spa's I have visited in big cities.
- We were able to check in and go straight to our room at 10:00am. This was great, since we flew in on an early morning flight from the east coast and were very much in need of a nap. They initially put us in a smoking room, but were able to swap rooms with no problem right at the check-in desk.
- The restaurant America in the hotel had a nice breakfast menu, which we enjoyed the morning we checked in. It was well priced for being in a hotel. The pizza place at the hotel was also good.
- My husband rode the roller coaster and enjoyed it, although he said it was a bit bumpy/jerky.
- All the staff we encountered were great, always smiling, saying hello and wishing us a good day.
- They have a kiosk where you can check in online for your flight and print your boarding pass for free - I thought this was a nice feature.
- The bell service, where you can store your luggage before or after checking in/out was speedy and efficient.

The cons:
- The casino/lobby are EXTREMELY smoky. The different between the smoke and ventilation system in the NY, NY vs the Wynn or Bellagio is HUGE. The smoke literally hits you like a freight train when you open the door from outside. Because of this, we spent almost no time in the casino or any of the bars there. If you are a smoker, or come from an area that isn't almost 100% smoke-free like we do, I would think this would not bother you as much.
- Outside of the room, the hotel is starting to show wear. The casino/lobby is extremely dark - what a difference painting the ceiling a lighter color would make!
- I love the concept of doing the hotel in a NYC theme; however, it's as if the designer never actually visited NYC. You walk into the Venetian and you FEEL like you're in Venice. You walk into Paris and you FEEL like you're in Paris. This hotel just didn't have the same vibe as NYC.
- Minor, but the towels were small and super thin and there was no in room coffee maker.

General thoughts:
- We didn't find noise to be a problem. Our room was at the far end of a hallway, which definitely helped with the hallway noise, and we had a section of the roller coaster outside our window and it didn't bother us. Our room was a LONG walk from the elevator though - 50 rooms. But it was good exercise :)
- I would stay here again if I could get a good rate. I would just plan on spending almost no time at the hotel. The room literally looked like it was plucked out of a different hotel, which made the stay enjoyable.

2 Thank tuffy0317
Sault Ste Marie, ON
Reviewed April 10, 2010

Cant say enough good things about the new york new york, got a great price on it while booking so my expectations were lowered a bit but i was extremely wrong after being there for about 5 minutes. Check in went really quick and everyone seemed friendly.

Rooms were super nice, i have stayed many places in vegas and these rooms were up there with rooms you would get at the top hotel's in vegas. First thing i noticed was the room was extemely clean and kept clean every day. Our room was by the roller coaster and the noise was very little if any really. Beds were extremely comfortable to sleep in after a night of heavy drinking.

Casino was alright but there are so many casino's in vegas if you dont like one just goto another. Lots of food and entertainment options in the new york new york.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends