“Loved the Marquis Suite”

New York - New York Hotel and Casino
Ranked #49 of 262 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
Bryan, Texas
“Loved the Marquis Suite”
Reviewed October 6, 2006

I thought the room was very spacious, with 700 square feet over just around 400 for a regular room. We booked this room especially because of the spa tub in the room. The bed was very comfortable, and this suite had plenty of seating space as you will see in the photos. We were in the Empire Tower on the 15th floor. Ask for strip view if possible and as high as available to get a good view. The food was just ok though with only one late nite option for the wee hour hungers. Staff was very friendly, with our maid service top notch. I've stayed at several different hotels in Vegas, but this was the first one where our maid wiped down and arranged everything each day. So of course I tipped her well, AND she could actually understand the English language!!
I would say the only negative thing about my stay would have to be the delay in getting my room. I could not check in until after 5 pm and there are only 34 Marquis rooms in the whole hotel, so I certainly shouldn't have had to wait that long. I DID make a suggestion that a step should be placed in front of the spa tub, since it was difficult for a short person like myself to get in and out with ease. But it still was awesome as you will see by the photos, it has a uinque faucet also.
I would highly recommend the NYNY Marquis suite,but cannot say anything about their regular rooms. One last note, I don't think the machines were very loose, at least not for us ( I mainly play video poker)

• Liked — The Spaciousness
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10 Thank georgegoesabroad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,243)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Allen, Texas
Reviewed October 5, 2006

Our stay at the NYNY was our first visit to Las Vegas, and well, we were rather disappointed. It felt like it was a "Disney-fied" Vegas for families with children. I would recommend paying a visit to this hotel-casino to enjoy the theme and decor, but I wouldn't recommend staying here. It's pretty easy to navigate your way around (restaurants on the left and back if you're facing the escalators to "Coney Island" and shopping to the back and right)--slots/games in middle. The elevators don't all go to the same places or floors so listen carefully to where the clerk tells you "your" elevator is (Empire or Century Tower, A or B elevators, etc.). The Spa is in the Empire Tower (but avoid far right elevator or you won't end up there), so be prepared to walk back through the lobby after your treatment if your room isn't in the Empire Tower).

I don't know if it's because we have a bevy of wonderful restaurants here in the DFW area that we frequent, but the eateries at NYNY were pretty lackluster. We dined at ChinChin, Nine Fine Irishmen, Coney Island-Nathan's Hotdogs, America Cafe, Il Fornaio, the deli downstairs, and Gonzalez y Gonzalez. For the money we paid, the food was extremely mediocre. Wolfgang Puck's across the street at the MGM was very, very good (especially the chocolate souffle), and Tsunami inside the Venetian was also a very good choice. TAO inside the Venetian was our first choice that day, but we didn't realize that they were only open for dinner (it was lunchtime when we arrived), so we'll have to try it next visit. Also, stay away from the Aladdin Spice Market Buffet--also mediocre.

A traveling tip: the NYNY hotel does NOT have an airport check-in as advertised on the map signs at the airport. They didn't renew their contact last year. We found this out after standing in line at the MGM check-in (which is where they were supposed to be).

Check in at NYNY was pretty quick, but the clerk's greeting was perfunctory, at best. Our room was on the 27th floor and had a nice view of the Tropicana and Excalibur (we toured these--a little dated and the latter was easy to get lost in). Our room (a Park Avenue room) was nicely furnished, but extremely small. The glowing "night-light"buttons on the bottom of each lamp was helpful navigating your way around the room at night (saving a bump into furniture on your way back from the bathroom). The tub/commode area was of a good size--not cramped at all like the rest of the room. Our room was very clean--we ran into the maid once as we were leaving--she kept our room in great condition. We had one day where the outside hallway a/c vent was buzzing very loudly (we had a corner room), but they fixed it that afternoon.

The location of NYNY was ok, but the things we most enjoyed doing were at the other end of the strip so we either walked or took a cab. We were in town for late Sun- early Thursday morn, so we weren't able to check out some of the shows (most play on Sun, Mon, and Thursday it seems) like Zumanity or Folies. The Spa/Salon at NYNY was comparable in terms of service (but more expensive) to what I've experienced here in the Dallas area.

However, on Monday night we had the most fun at The Mirage (the Beatles LOVE was fantastic!! We sat on the sixth or seventh row, but people above us also had a good view) and we also enjoyed ourselves on Wednesday at The Venetian (the palazzo area with gondola rides and gelateria--try both). The gondola ride was a lot of fun and our gondolier was very personable and had a wonderful voice. There were a great variety of shops if you enjoy shopping (for real or "window" shopping). The Bellagio (not too far down the road) was enjoyable to walk through--the lobby ceiling sculpture and the conservatory. The decor made me think of something you might see in a James Bond film.

We didn't actually feel like we were in Las Vegas until we hit this end of the strip--there was so much more to see and do. It wasn't until we headed to this end of the strip that we actually contemplated coming back to Las Vegas again--perhaps to to stay at The Mirage, Paris, Treasure Island, or at The Venetian for a splurge.

For Newbies--Cab Fare is about $10 bucks from airport and up/down the strip. Save a bit of money by eating a sandwich at Subway (or something of the like) instead of wasting money on mediocre buffet or cafe food in the casinos. Bring good walking shoes. After we got home we calculated the distance between the hotels we walked, so we probably walked 6-10 miles during our stay. Helicopters-this was unexpected....it sounded a little like a war zone with the many that flew over giving tours--I doubt that it was unique to our end of the strip or room location, but if you take a nap during the day (or are a late sleeper) you'll hear them frequently, so you might bring some earplugs. The roller coaster was on our side of the building as well, but we rarely heard it (or the screams of the people on it).

• Liked — Clean Room, Friendly Servers at Restaurants
  • Disliked — Food, Room Size, Variety of Entertainment other than Gambling
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay at the other end of the strip
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
7 Thank justjennifer
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed October 4, 2006

My husband and I are frequent visitors to Las Vegas. we live in the Desert Southwest, so flying or driving to Vegas is easy for us..and we try and visit 2 or more times a year. Our stays are at times short...2 days, but we've done 4 and 5 days also.
we hesitated booking at NY,NY, I guess just us being inside shopping and a little gambling...and the outside view, well, it did not appear to us to be "homey or cozy" feeling. we plan to retire to the Las Vegas area, so when we stay, we feel more at home there than anywhere. I found a package on the hotel website that I couldn't pass up and we needed a stress reliever...so a couple days in Vegas does it for us. I booked it, and much to our surprise and delight...we LOVED NY,NY. The staff, beginning with the check in associates was wonderful, friendly and most accomodating to the housekeeping staff, to the technicians that repair and fix things...was wonderful. Our TV remote did not work, and a technician was at our room in less that 10 minutes to reprogram a new one. I call THAT customer service. Our room was large and comfortable and spotless. We ate at Il Forniao and Nine Fine Irishmen and food in both facilities was top notch. I reccomend both. we've also enjoyed Tavern at Time Square too and loved the dueling pianos...NOT to be missed whether you stay there or not. go early, get a table and sing your hearts out...is is an evening not to be missed.
we are already looking to book our traditional before Christmas trip...to celebrate our anniversary..and sure will choose NY,NY. I am in the process of writing letters to New York, New York management and also management of the restuarants to compliment the staff and service..it is always easy to complain, but it is nice for the staff to get a compliment and pat on the back from whomever their department head or manager is. hey...start spreadin' the news and stay at New York, New York...

Stayed October 2006
6 Thank Vegas_Dolly
Berkshire, England
Reviewed October 1, 2006

Well, what can I say!!!

The NY NY hotel is Fab! I fell in love the minute we walked through the door...

The check-in staff were lovely, and very kindly switch our room to the 27th floor. The view of the strip at night was breathtaking. We opted for a Jacuzzi Spa room, which was definatley worth every penny! The hotel is like nothing I have ever seen in my life. The shops, the bars, the resturants and the casino are amazing.

All the staff are friendly and helpful, the bed was sooooo comfortable and the room was massive!

After exploring all the other fabulous hotels on the strip during our stay, I have no regrets choosing the NY NY!

We loved our trip so much we are returning in Januray! Going to try the Luxor this time, so i'll let you all know what I think when I get back.... hopefully it will not let us down!

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Tips/Secrets — Request a high floor room!
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Emgem33
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed September 29, 2006

This was a nice hotel. I choose this hotel for my boyfriends 21st birthday trip. I had booked a package with Southwest Airlines Vacations and choose the deluxe room. When we got there at check in I nicely asked if there were any upgrades available like everyone on here says to do.... well she said oh yes we have our Ziggarut suite or something like that anyways... and it's only $115 dollars more. $115 dollars I'm thinking total or what and then she smiles and adds the per night!! WOW I'm thinking did you misunderstand I meant for free or a little bit or something. So I said that's a little more then I was thinking do you have anything less?? So he keeps going down one step at a time $85 per night and $65 per night ok I stop her I'm thinking about this room here and point to the Spa Deluxe which is 2 above what she's already giving me. She types around a bit and comes back to say no sorry this room is all sold out and offers me the Broadway Deluxe room for $5 per night more. Ok and now for what I had already requested non smoking 1 king bed. And no they don't have that. I can have 1 king only in smoking and she nicely says it's a smelly room if you don't smoke.... errrrr this isn't going well!! So I get the Broadway deluxe I managed to get the 26th floor Century tower non smoking 2 what they call Queens which are clearly only double beds and a corner unit. The view was nice though we could see the Mandalay Bay, Luxor, Excalibur, Tropicana, Hooters, and the whole MGM from our room as well as down the strip a little bit to. This was good now I feel better. The room was HUGE that I can't complain about. The bathroom was really big and nice also but the shower has NO water pressure at all. The taps blast but nothing at all to wash with I couldn't even get the shampoo out barly. The rooms are a little dark as they are decorated in browns and black but I really liked it still. The hotel itself is great there's lots to do and lots of food everywhere!! We ate at the America restaurant almost every morning for breakfast it was great. A little slow but good and convenient. The II Forniano restaurant or whatever it's called kinda sucked but other then that we had a great time. I would probubly stay somewhere else next time but that is just because Vegas is so huge and I would like to experience more. Oh and I can't forget to mention this... if you like the nickle slots there is a nickle machine right beside the BIG wheel of fortune machine it's a double diamond machine with the diamonds that move you can play on this maching for hours with $20!! I won the double double 7 the one day which was great! But seriously I have never seen a machine so consistent with pay back try it out!!! Hope everyone enjoys there trip as much as us. (Just don't expect anything for free lol)

• Liked — The room was huge and had a great view!
  • Disliked — The water pressure and that they don't give you what you ask for i.e king bed, non smoking ect.
  • Tips/Secrets — Book with the hotel direct I think you will get much better service.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank jennigal18
Calgary-from Winnipeg
Reviewed September 27, 2006

We got a great deal on this hotel b/c Im an Airline Employee.

First off, to give you some of our travel back ground, we are frequent travellers, who have stayed in 3-5 Star hotels.

We got an amazing price, and wended up getting an upgrade to a suite with a Strip view for nothing....what a great deal.

the room was large and had everything we needed OTHER than a in room coffee maker (we stayed last time at THEhotel at Mandalay Bay and they has a coffee maker). In room iron and ironing board, soap, mouthwash etc.... the hand lotion is to dye for.

had no problem with water pressure or hot water, everything worked great. t was good to. easy to use. beds were really comfortable, and trust me, being a flight attendant, I stay in tons of different hotel beds and these were good, with nice feather pillows, didnt really eat that the hotel (other than americas cafe, and it was good food and service).

were not big gambers...... mainly in vegas for shopping.....

rented a car, drove to Primm, wasnt too bad but i found the best deals at the Primum outlets and the fashion show mall (ie: MACYS------if you go to the CUstomer Service desk at Macy andd show them that your canadian (ie: drivers lisence) they give you a 11%discount card that you can use as much as you want for 4 days)...then sign up for the credit card and save another 10%

We found the bellaigo fountains amazing, the mirage volcano was nice, but short and found the sierns of TI kinda trashy, but worth the watch....well it was lame actually.

as for buffets we really liked the one at Monte Carlo...dinner was 17.95 a person and was fresh and really good with a lot of selcetion....we also eat at the TI Treasure Island one, for 20.95 a person for dinner, and WE didnt like it at all, food was cold, not that good, so the next night we went back to Monte Carlo.

We found having a car was a nice touch....all hotels on the strip have free parking, so we just usally valleted and paid a tip, notmuch at all to have someone bring your car to you, as the free parking is usally a hike.

it was also nice to be able to go places on your time and not have to wait for a bus etc.... it was also nice to go see things off the strip....found a great walmart and ihop.

as for saftey, im safriad of my own shadow and I had not one feeling of being unsafe in vegas,,,,not even downtown on Freemont (which is a MUST SEE AT NIGHT TOO)

the duece is a bus (public bus) thats 2.00 for one ride, or 5.00 for a all day pass....bus doesnt give change...just like the buses in your hometown...dont know how many people i heard argue with the bus driver...anyways, there not too bad, it seems like we always got on the really crowded bussses. not a bad way to get around, but i dound after one day on the bus, then getting our car, it seemed like it was sent from god...the bus is public so it gets pretty full and you may not be able to get on the bus you want.

well if you have anymore questions or concers, please email me at holly_913@hotmail.com with the subject LAS VEGAS

• Liked — The beds and rooms
  • Disliked — smell of smoke in the casino....kinda expected it, but other hotels smelt a lot better
  • Tips/Secrets — call and ask for room rates directly with the hotel as well.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
4 Thank holly_913
greenville
Reviewed September 23, 2006

all i can say it is a great place i loved the feeling of being in a big city when i was just in a hotel it was great i loved the candy apples from the road side vendor (in the hotel) i just blew my mind great rolor coaster its just a great place to stay

• Liked — location and the transpertation to CES
  • Stayed January 2003, traveled on business