“Nice Place, but ventilaiton needs improvement”

New York - New York Hotel and Casino
Ranked #42 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
Katy, Texas
“Nice Place, but ventilaiton needs improvement”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2009

First off, I should mention that the NYNY, Las Vegas is one of the nicer MGM Grand properties. The design and layout of the facility is much more convenient than the massive hotels like The Venetian where we stayed on our last trip. We arrived on Saturday evening of Labor Day weekend and upon check in were told that the non-smoking Park Avenue Deluxe room was unavailable, however they would upgrade us to a Broadway room - but would have to take smoking.

This normally doesn't bug me too much, so agreed. However, the room really smelled bad, as did the whole casino. It was kind of a dank ashtray odor that permeated everything. Someone might say: "this is a casino, and you had a smoking room - what do you expect". My response would be that NYNY was a bit over the top. This is the first time I can remember being so affected by residual smoke, and ended up having sinus congestion, coughing, and other minor respiratory issues while trying to sleep. These issues would clear up as soon as I walked out of the building. The engineering department needs to work on the ventilation.

I can't end this review without mentioning some of the nice positive things. The breakfast buffet at Chin-Chins was really good. The Chinese style eggs, fruits, meats, etc. were excellent. I also loved the foot long hotdogs, and authentic pastrami on rye at the Greenburgs Deli - just like it was made in New York City. I also should mention that the staff of the hotel were very helpful, courteous, and went out of their way to treat the customers with a personal touch.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank roadwarrior2000

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,168)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2009

This hotel is located right in the heart of all of the happening hotels. Check in was very quick. Bed was very comfy and we had a view of the srip with no noise from the roller coaster. This was our second trip to Vegas and once again we had a blast. The first time we came to get married and party and we did just that. This time around we came for our one year anniversary and we got a great deal on our room. The room was on a very quiet floor with a ice maker in the room and the room was very clean. We got 20% off at four of the great restaurants inside the hotel and 25 dollars of free slot play. I especially love this hotel because it's not so big to where you get lost when you walk around. Pool is small, but you can go next door to the Monte Carlo where there is four pools including a lazy river. At check out use your T.V. instead of standing in line, it's fast and easy! As long as this hotel treat my husband and I like a King & Queen, we'll be back everytime!

1 Thank KISHMOO
Silver Spring
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2009

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for our first year anniversary from Aug 30- Sept 4. It was our first time in Las Vegas so we didn't know what to expect. As with all our trips, we checked trip advisor for reviews. There were more good than bad so we decided on the NYNY hotel. We had the time of our lives (so far). The hotels lobby was really nice! We were greeted by a many many slot machines!!! We arrived at 11am which is b4 check in (3pm) so they allowed us to check our bags in a holding area and the receptionist gave us a confirmation number and telephone number to call to see if our room was ready. Our room was ready by 1pm so we picked up our keys and baggage and went to our room.

The Room: The Broadway Deluxe room was nice and spacious. We loved the fact that we had a great view of the MGM Grand, the roller coaster, the Excalibur, and more! The only thing that I hated was the TV. The TV was sooooo small.... I mean...ARE THEY SERIOUS!?!?!? The bed was at LEAST 10 feet away from the bed and they had this little (what seemed to be 19") TV that didnt ALMOST fill the space it was sitting in! My husband and I laughed soooo hard when we got in the bed and turned the TV on... We were gonna buy some binoculars just so that we can see the darn thing! The bathroom was huge and really nice! The water pressure, though, was really low. The bed was really comfortable and thats a plus! The roller coaster was directly outside our room, but it never bothered us one bit!!!

The Pool:
The pool and hot tub area was nice. The deepest part of the pool was only 4 feet so I didnt like that too much! But it wasn't too crowded.

The Rollercoaster:
My husband and I checked out the rollercoaster because everyone seemed as if it was soooo much fun! It was more of a headache ride for me personally. It wasn't smooth at all...I mean rollercoasters aren't "smooth" but it was bumpy and caused me to have a headache after it was over... but its something to do!

We really didn't spend too much time in our hotel. We were going around to the other hotel around the strip mostly. Though I liked the NYNY and I would probably stay here again, I probably would check out another hotel on my next visit to Vegas. Just to see what else it out there! :) As another traveler wrote, this hotel gave NOTHING free!!! Even the rollercoaster was regular price to hotel guest! I thought that was a little selfish!!!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DCLady26
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2009

This hotel is really average, there is nothing to be highly enthousiastic about. I have stayed in the Stratosphere before and this is pretty much like it. The rooms are fine, but make sure you book a park avenue room and not a skyline room since the skyline rooms were last remodeled in the iron age. We had a spacious room with a giant bathroom, but (although lovely decorated) very uncomfortable bed, the matress was way too firm.
The pool is (as said before) too small, another downside is that is located between buildings what makes it impossible to get a little breeze.
Being European, I dont really like big portions and lots of meat, but the restaurants in the nyny only provide food like that. To get some decent healthy food you will have to go to the MGM on the other side of the road.
At checking in, the woman at the desk will probably ask you to provide a second credit card, but make sure to provide only 1. I made the mistake to give her 2 and a couple of days later i found out that they were both charged to the max. The hotel charged it back but i really didn't appreciate this 'measure against fraud' as the hotel calls it.

People should stop complaining about the rollercoaster:
it only runs from 10.00am till 00.00am and who goes to sleep before 00.00am in Las Vegas?! And you don't even here the coaster.

But to be honest: it's better to spend a little more money and stay in a much better hotel like MGM/Bellagio or the Mirage. You will not regret this!

2 Thank iltje
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2009

We came to this hotel as a first-time experience, and we were a bit disappointed. You get a cheap room rate, but nothing is free: you have no mini fridge in a basic room; there are charges to use internet and the gym. The pool is rediculous. It's extremely small, looks like it was added last minute between the parking garage and the hotel. There are minimal lounge chairs, and most of them are reserved as part of the cabanas or special loungers for those who want to pay a fee. Plus, there was a smell of sewage that stuck around the pool.

I wouldn't stay at this hotel unless you intend on gambling all the time. There is no way to relax here, and the hotel does everything possible to get you to spend money...If you want a nicer spot that allows you to relax,

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank Suruien
Denver, CO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2009

Pros: Clean room, comfortable beds, easy access to the strip, great staff

Cons: Long walk to room, Long walk to the monorail.

We went to New York New York after spending a night in Downtown at the Plaza. We arrived, checked in, and was immediately asked if we needed anything else. My friend and I wanted to see the Lion King at Mandalay Bay. We asked the front desk about it, and they found us seats at a great price and got us all setup. The walk to the elevators was pretty short as we used the Century ones to get to our room. We were on the 19th floor. The room was on the far end of the building, so the walk was a little far.

When we got to the room (Park Ave Premium View), we were amazed. Nice amount of space, great view of MGM Grand, Tropicana, Planet Hollywood, and the coaster. The bathroom was nice, great space, marble flooring. We had 2 queen beds (very comfortable), a desk, 2 chairs, and a nice wall unit for a dresser and tv cabinet. Contrary to other reviews i've read, we didn't really hear the coaster much. could barely head people screaming when it was running.

We didn't eat onsite except to grab a cinnamon pretzle from a kiosk near the sky bridges to MGM and Excalibur. It was great. My friend did fairly well on the slots. Checkout was a breeze. I did it on the TV. No issues at all. The roller coaster was amazingly fun, just be warned that you have to go through a long arcade to get to it.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank dnvrtrvlr
Romantic street
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2009

The NY NY hotel is very nice. Rooms are very clean, modern and stylish. As it was our honeymoon we asked for a nice room and got on in the "Empire State Building" overlooking the Strip which was amazing. The furnitures were very comfortable, the bathroom small but modern and clean. We had a TV, a fridge, air-condition. Internet access was available but you have to pay for it. They also chare your 3$ per day for the phone even if you dont use it. The shampoos, body lotion, soaps of the hotel were very nice and the towels clean and nice.
Great things were: the location: you are in the middle of the Strip but you dont hear the noise at night in your hotel room.
There is a nice restaurant area in the hotel where you can find all sort of restaurants in a nice Greenwich village atmosphere. Fish at the fish and chips shop was just great and so fresh... :-) Prices are ok, you can eat cheap or very expensive it is up to you.
There is a pool but it looks pretty small, didnt go there.
Staff at the hotel was very nice and we felt welcomed. Next time we will stay there again.

4 Thank nicyontherun