“No Confusion see the pictures”

New York - New York Hotel and Casino
Ranked #49 of 262 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
San Diego, California
“No Confusion see the pictures”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I booked this hotel for a romantic weekend getaway to see Zumanity. I carefully read the trip advisor reviews and booked a Spa Suite. We arrived at 8pm on a Friday night to a huge line at check in. Why? It's like a car rental with pictures of all the other rooms and pressure to upgrade. I was informed that the Spa Suites do not come with views (contrary to reviews on this site) and ours would be on the 6th floor looking at the parking garage. Not exactly what I envisoned for a romantic stay. I bit the bullet and upgraded to the Ziggurat Suite described as 1100 plus square feet featuring elite amenities.

We did not spend much time in the room but immediately dropped our bags and went out. Upon closer inspection in the morning the room was a wreck, the shower (see pics) was full of black mold, the TV in the bedroom was broken (not to mention from 1950), the speakers on the second room TV were broken and dangling, and we found out later the jacuzzi was broken. I complained to the front desk in the afternoon and was offered a downgrade to another room or for housekeeping to come and fix the problems. Since we had limited time to get to Zumanity, I opted for housekeeping while we were out.

Housekeeping came and fixed the one TV that did not work at all and caulked right over the black mold (see pic). Yuck.

I did expect from the reviews a bit of a budget hotel but I expect my room to be clean and upgraded with nice amenities. There are much better options to stay at in Las Vegas than this hotel and I highly recommend some research before booking a room here.

I will say that the restaurants, casino and Zumanity were all top notch. The hotel did offer accomodations after the fact for the uncleanliness. But, the fact is that mold didn't grow overnight when the last guest left and you don't want to deal with this situation on your vacation. The hotel is just not clean.

5 Thank CayenneinAlpine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,243)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Holidaying from overseas. Arrived and had to wait in line for 20 minutes to be checked in. Staff wandering around but not helping with check ins. We were told that only "smoking" rooms available when we had booked a "non smoking" room a month in advanced, was told we would be moved to a "non smoking" room the next day. Room had overpowering smell of smoke, could not sleep during the night. Bath room door was broken and could not be closed fully. Woke in the morning and opened curtains and found empty beer bottles in room against windows. Went out for the day sightseeing, returned to find we had not been moved, had to complain to front desk to get something done. Took 20 minutes again to check out when leaving. Won't be recommending this hotel to friends when they travel to Las Vegas.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Colin T
Noreen S, Guest Relations Manager at New York - New York Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback and write this review. We sincerely apologize about the service shortfalls you experienced during your stay. Our Housekeeping team aspires to provide a detailed and thoroughly cleaned guest room to all of our guests. Our deepest apologies that you did not receive this type of service during your stay. We regret to hear we were unable to accommodate you with the room request for a non smoking room. Our front desk team does their very best to accommodate all guests requests, as our rooms are not assigned until the time of arrival of the guest. Please know, we have shared your concerns with all of the departments involved and will be addressing your feedback. Thank you for reaching out to us and bring these service shortfalls to our attention. We hope in the future you will come back and give New York New York another chance to make your stay memorable for the right reasons. Please contact me should you have any questions or need assistance, guestservices@nyforme.com.

Regards,

Noreen Stewart
Guest Relations Manager
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Clean quiet room, comfy beds, 29th floor up up and away from the rising smoke. NOTE: walls are thin and neighbor decided to pontificate until 2:30 am! Registration was ez, Jessica gave us a selection of two rooms; king with only one window or 2 queens 29th floor lots of windows, we took the later. The bathroom light was very dim and could have used a towel rack next to sink only one over the toilet. The cold water faucet was not turning off, meaning one has to find the right spot for the water to cease. The casino was airy, did not feel the pangs of the smokers but the spa was closed, no hot tub and pool under construction! Dining options were great, recommend Il Fornaio for breakfast see review. Since we were attending Cirque Du Soliel, Zumanity it was great to leave coats behind and access of tickets was fast and ez. If you are dancers, as we are, forget this hotel in fact forget them all, there is only live music in the Irish pub.

Room Tip: Upon checking in ask for floor, windows, specify bed type and what tower is near FREE ez parking. We...
Chicago
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Reserved a non smoking king-got a smoking 2 queens. One of the elevators was not running the first night. Slots were marginal in payouts which made it difficult to play as long as we had wanted and to spend more in the restaurants and on souvenirs.
We had fun and lots of laughs. Service was great! Good location for show at MGM Arena.

Room Tip: Not sure. Didn't get the room I reserved. I wish someone would have given me a tip. Perhaps arri...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank LorraineP21
syracuse
Reviewed January 27, 2013

This was my first visit to Las Vegas, booked through Vegas.com had a great time. Everyone was so friendly and helpful throughout our stay.The view from our room was spectacular. The restraunts were so-so. The Irish pub had really good food but the breakfast buffet was awful at Chin Chins. The America was the best food at the hotel. Both breakfast and dinner were fantastic. I reccommend this to everyone

2 Thank Joseanne N
Noreen S, Guest Relations Manager at New York - New York Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review New York- New York! We sincerely appreciate the feedback about your stay and are delighted to hear you had a “FUN” time! Thank you also for recognizing our staff as friendly and helpful. We are sorry to hear you did not enjoy the breakfast buffet at Chin Chin, we will be sharing your review with their management team. We are delighted to hear you did enjoy Nine Fine Irishmen and America restaurant. The next time you stay you will have to try the new donut shop they just opened at America! We look forward to welcoming you back soon, please contact me should you have any questions or need any assistance, guestservices@nyforme.com
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I have used a lot of these reviews and applied them towards my first stay at this established hotel for a change of pace and look forward to an updated review after my four day stay there Jan. 31 - Feb. 4 really excited for a fun venue. Stan " the man"

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Stanley G
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Just booked a week in May (3rd time in 3 years)....love NYNY....rooms are clean and big! Even rooms facing the roller coaster are great...thought they would be noisy but they are not! Some rooms are quite a hike....made me think twice about "running up to my room." The casino is great....table games, new slots, great places to dine and drink. Am bringing a friend who has never been to Vegas and I think NYNY is the perfect place for her to be introduced to Vegas!

Room Tip: Last time I upgraded a category (from the lowest category)....was nice but I find I don't spend...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends