“Not up to par compared to the other hotels”

New York - New York Hotel and Casino
Ranked #53 of 262 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
Northern VA
“Not up to par compared to the other hotels”

Check in issue:
My name was the only one on the reservation, My plane arrived late, so my travelmate was unable to check in. Once I knew I was going to be late, I called the desk and attempted to put the other persons name on the reservation. They explained that since I got a special deal through being a rewards program member, they wern't able to check my room in without me. OK - I get it... sucks but I get it.

When I finally arrived they asked me if I wanted an upgrade to a really nice suite, it was only going to cost me $89. (Since my initial room was only $49 it didn't feel like that much more). Once I realized it was $89 in addition to the $49, I declined the offer. They then told me that the only normal rooms they had for my reservation left were smoking, or I had to make the upgrade (and pay roughly 3 times my original booking price) in order to get a non smoking room.

At that point I told them a smoking room wasn't an option for me. I got my phone out and started calling other hotels to find another arrangement for me because at this point I felt like with all my troubles they should have just bumped me to the upgraded room at no charge.

All the sudden, within the span of 2-3 minutes of me trying to make other arrangements at another hotel, they just happened to find a non smoking room. I was thankful for that, but I was ready to leave and never come back to this hotel again. Which is a shame because the hotel is decent and the eateries are good too. It's a good spot to easily access the following hotels (luxor, Excalibur, planet hollywood, mgm, mandalay bay, ..) Not my favorite part of the strip but the best place to stay when I have business meetings in luxor or Excalibur..

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank kjgmsu
Noreen S, Guest Relations Manager at New York - New York Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
We truly value our guest feedback and appreciate you taking the time to write this review. I apologize we were unable to add your friend's name on to the reservation when you called. For Casino Invited Guest offers we are unable to add additional names due to the offer being intended only for that Casino Invited guest. Once the primary guest check's in we are able to add additonal names on to the reservation. I also apologize we were unable to accomodate your request for a non smoking room right away upon check in. Our housekeeping team works 24 hours a day and are constantly updating rooms, I am happy to hear we were eventually able to accomodate you with your request. Please be assured I will be addressing your concerns with the Hotel Manager in regards to the Front desk not clearly explaining the additional amount to upgrade your room. We greatly appreciate your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back to New York New York. If you should need any assitance, please contact me at guestservices@nyforme.com.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,259)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Ash Vale
Reviewed October 9, 2012

This is the third time we have been to Vegas and we have always stayed at the New York New York. This time we had a Manhattan room on the 16th floor. The room was extremely spacious and wonderfully decorated.
We saw the Beatles at Planet Hollywood and the show was excellent, in particular John Lennon, who looked and sounded just like him!
We took an indoor gondola ride at the Venetian. Very romantic and at $16 each not too expensive.
If you are in your 20s and want to go clubbing then this probably isn't the hotel for you. If you want somewhere relaxed and friendly then I thoroughly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Strip
1 Thank JoJo230
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We actually went in June 2010 but it would not go back that far. We had an amazing time here we went on the rollercoaster round the hotel, the pool was fantasic and weather was hot! The Cayote Ugly bar was fantasic too we went one of the nights. Every morning we went to the MGM for a buffet breakfast which was gorgeous and they made pancakes to order which were yummy. Lots to do and the pizza and deli shop were great to eat at too.

A really good base at the strip we used the monorail to go to the top if the strip and work back down, one night we went to the stratosphere bar for cocktails and watched the sun set it was great. The out of town shopping centres are worth a trip too I wish I had taken a bigger suitcase as there were so many bargains!

Vegas is amazing so busy and so much to do but I would only go in the hot months as I like to sunbathe during the day.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Prince George, Canada
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Our 3rd time staying here, and we've yet to be disappointed. Clean rooms, halls, elevators, casinos etc. In short, a nice place to stay. Good restaurants and shops. We have tried other hotels on the strip and none have exceeded our satisfaction with this property.

Room Tip: Join MLife players club and take advantage of the email offers. We got a very cheap room offer and u...
1 Thank Allan S
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 8, 2012

This hotel is OK but it is not in the heart of Vegas in terms of location and is a long walk to the Mirage, Treasure Island etc. The pool is average and the music was very loud on a couple of the days. Towels are good quality. You can catch the monorail from MGM Grand hotel to get up the strip, but this is $12 each for adults and kids for 24 hours. You can also catch the Deuce bus. Vegas is not really a place for kids and we found that most hotels tried to chase us out of even just walking through the casinos! Room was very average and quite small in comparison to where we had stayed in Anaheim. We would stay here again but would look to stay somewhere more central - either Mirage or TI.

Room Tip: If you want to use the pool a lot, try and get a room on the 3rd floor close by as we stayed in the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Earth, Texas, United States
Reviewed October 8, 2012

we have just got back from a 10 night break here and we could not fault this hotel the staff were friendly and helpful the rooms were kept clean to a high standard, the burger restaurant is a must and again fab staff there too it might be near the end of the strip but the bus stops are more or less outside the hotel no more than a 2 minute walk we found the bus a lifesaver after walking non stop for the first 3 days the only bit of advice i could give is dont try the breakfast buffet in the hotel it is awful the excaliber is great value for money or for a few dollers more the mgm champagne brunch buffet is also very good

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Just returned from a weeks stay in this hotel,room very spacious and clean,staff very friendly and helpful.Great music around pool with good quality towels.Would go back next year.No in middle of strip but there is a duce bus you can use for 8dollars for every 24hours.

Room Tip: We were on 18th floor no complaints.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends