“First timers, looking for the Vegas Experience? Stay Here!”

MGM Grand Hotel and Casino
Ranked #80 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Was actually thinking about returning to MGM, then I remembered I never got around to write a review. My first Vegas Experience was a very remarkable one, thanks to MGM. Check in was a breeze despite the long lines, which is expectant because it is such a BIG hotel.

The front desk and concierge staff are all professional. We had a double bed suite, beautiful view of the entire strip, the room was super comfortable, neat, clean and very spacious. The bathroom was well equipped with the best lighting for make up.

Housekeeping service is always one of my biggest issues when vacationing. However, MGM was ON POINT! The moment we stepped out of our room, housekeeping stepped in. That was a 10 pointer.

Although the WiFi was terrible in the room, once in the main lobby it worked fine. Wasn't a big deal because once in Vegas, phones are the least.There were 2 events hosted at MGM during our stay, one was a Bon Jovi concert and Lakers Basketball game, neither held my interest. I just enjoyed seeing the Basketball players.

The location of MGM was perfect, it's located at the end of the strip. The casino at MGM was HUGE, clean and always packed. There is actually no need to come out of the building, everything is there. There's a mall underground. A huge club, nice buffets, every fast food joints you can think of is in MGM, it's like a mini city!

Not a gambler, so there isn't much I can say on that part. The easiest exit to the strip was through the large casino, A LOT of walking and short cuts, if you're a quick learner, you'll figure it out in no time.

Once on the strip, you'll be mesmerized by the atmosphere. Directly across the street is the New York hotel, the roller coasters were fun to watch while walking the strip. Shopping was to die for at Fashion Mall, located across from the Wynn Hotel. There are so many other nice hotels on the strip, but MGM stole my heart!

Quick tip, like I said, the strip is A LOT OF WALKING!.. take full advantage of the Duece bus transportation, it's roughly $20 for 3 days, when you are tired of walking, you can hop on and hop off at any given time by simply swiping your bus pass.

For first timers to Vegas, I suggest you do the "Big Bus Las VegasTour" at night, where you can see the glitz and glam of the strip (carry a sweater and your camera and get ready to be amazed).

To conclude, I will most definitely be back. We had dinner at Top of World. Walked. Drank. Laughed. Shopped and just enjoyed being in "Viva Las Vegas".

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the elevators and high floor!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank TheaM523
MGMGuestExperience, Manager at MGM Grand Hotel and Casino, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2014

Dear TheaM523:

When you are looking for the quintessential Las Vegas resort destination experience, MGM Grand is the place to visit. Thank you so much for your enthusiastic review. With unbeatable amenities, attractions, and service there is so much to enjoy here on property. Our convenient location on the Strip also makes exploring the sights and sounds of the city a true pleasure. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

The Guest Experience

Reviewed February 20, 2014

Great place to stay. Our rooms were very comfortable and the bathrooms were roomy, not cramped. Did have a couple of noisy party people but not the hotel's fault. Easy access to monorail and close enough to walk to the pharmacies. Love the fact that it is so close to the airport, too, which makes the cab ride a lot shorter.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Catherine R

Dear Catherine R:

Our guests deserve the best, and we aim to give it to them at all times. With beautifully appointed accommodations, as well as a convenient location offering easy access to both the Strip and the airport, MGM Grand is the perfect place to enjoy the best of Las Vegas. We certainly do regret any noise disturbance issues you experienced. Your understanding in this matter is deeply appreciated. Overall it is a true delight to read your comments. We hope you will return soon.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

Does anyone else find the insincere replies to every negative review kind of annoying and pathetic?

We stayed three weekday nights in Las Vegas in February 2014. Booking rooms at a top tier resort in advance would have been $300+ a night and we didn't want this to be an expensive vacation. Since our schedule was loose and we travel light we decided on a whim to book everything last minute using various websites that allow last-minute booking.

First night was Paris. They gave us a large, slightly run-down smoking room with a great view for about $110 all-in (including resort fees). We didn't ask to be taken out of the smoking room. I assume they would have moved us if we asked. I would go back.

Second night was the Rio. HUGE suite (way over 1000 sq ft) with huge walls of windows and fantastic views. A little dated. The curtains were noticeably worse than the rest of the decor. Really awful looking. They should just go to Target and get new ones. The shower had visible mildew, the powder room cold water didn't work and the wet bar hot water didn't work. The sofas were not pull-out. I thought that was weird in such a huge suite with a separate bedroom, but it didn't affect us. Everything else was fine. I think we paid less than $60 all-in (including resort fees). It seemed like a huge win. If I take my kids on a southwest vacation this year we will stay at the Rio for a night or two. It will cost more to confirm the room/sleeping arrangements in advance, but this resort is still a very, very good value.

Third night was the MGM Grand. This time we had to pay about $200, including a higher ($28) resort fee. Big mistake. Definitely should have paid up and gone to a five-star or just booked the cheapest three-star.

Check-in time was 3:00 an we arrived at about 1:45 to see a VERY long line at check-in. I can understand that at check-in time, but not at 1:45. I didn't necessarily expect to be able to check-in, but to not even be able to get to the front desk to ask a question without waiting in a very long line was annoying.

So we left our bags and went for a late lunch. We got back at around 5:00. By that time we were very tired from a strenuous hike up Frenchman Mountain that morning and wandering around Vegas all afternoon. At 5:00 the line was short and check in was quick. We were directed to room 504 in the West Wing on the second floor.

It took about 20 minutes to get to the room from the front desk. This was partially due to some contradictory signage, but mostly due to distance. Part of the LONG walk was down an ugly hallway with very low (closer to 7' that 8') suspended ceilings).

We finally got to what (I hope) is the worst room in the hotel. The decor is W-ish and not bad, but I personally dislike that style because I can't see anything in the poor lighting and have repeatedly found it to prioritize form over function.

The room was very small. Bathroom counter space was almost nonexistent (although they are some narrow shelves below). There is no separate bathroom. Frosted glass provided minimal privacy in the toilet and shower areas.

At first we assumed there was no window. After stumbling around for a few minutes (because we couldn't find the light switches) we discovered that there was one over the bed that opened into a dark air shaft.

I think it was the worst hotel room I have ever had. The impression of no window was very disconcerting. It felt like we were underground.

The phone next to the bed didn't work, and since we were basically in a bunker we couldn't use cell phones. I finally found a second phone in the bathroom and called the front desk. They refused to move us. I really wanted to check out on the spot, but without cell phone service we couldn't book another hotel! The front desk was so uncooperative, I figured that if I accessed the resort wifi they would still charge me the $28 resort fee. We were tired, so just decided to stay.

I think it was the worst hotel room I have ever stayed in. Oh, did I mention that I think the garbage bins were directly below the "window?" There was something going on outside early in the morning.

For this trip it didn't seem worth it to pay $350+ for the Bellagio if we could stay at Paris for $110 or the Rio for $60. But I definitely would have been MUCH, MUCH happier paying up and getting a decent room at a better resort than paying $200 for the worst hotel room I have ever had in my life. I have had small, dark hotels rooms before. But always in cities were space is at a premium (like Paris or NY) and the room rate always reflected the shortcomings of the room. Also - I have never had a room THAT dark before. I have never felt like I was underground.

Room Tip: Avoid the West Wing
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank janedoe2008

Dear janedoe2008:

All forms of guest input are important to us. Negative assessments, can at times, prove especially insightful, as they bring deficiencies and shortfalls to our attention. Thank you for sharing your detailed commentary. Your feedback provides a clear picture of your impressions about MGM Grand, and our West Wing rooms in particular. A close proximity to the Strip, as well as the unconventional layout of these rooms has made them a favorite with many guests. This was most certainly not the sentiments you expressed, however.

We apologize that your in-room experience proved unsatisfactory. The maintenance and lighting issues you encountered definitely seemed to add to your frustration. At MGM Grand, we offer a wide variety of accommodations types, as well as a diverse collection of resort amenities and services. Our goal is to attend to the individual needs of each guest we serve. When we fall short of this goal, we seek resolutions to better our performance. We regret your stay could not exceed expectations, and hope for the chance to serve you more effectively in the future.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

Very happy overall, some minor issues (location is at the end of the strip but adjacent to the monorail) and a strange shower (on occassion would take ~10 minutes to heat up) but the positives far outweighed these. Great bars and restaurants, with the food cours providing the ideal solution for someone who wants a quick grab and go. Restaurants included Chineses, French and traditional options.
TAP sports bar does some decent bar food which is of great use when games are, Centrifuge bar was my favourite of the lot.

Pool doesn't open until March, which was a shame as the temperature was 27C the days I was there, I understand if its policy not to recruit staff to manage until then - though as someone visiting from a freezing Europe, 27 was perfect weather for a dip!

Room Tip: Rooms 100 to 149 appear to offer the worst view (none of the strip viewable)
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank J C

Dear J C:

With fabulous dining establishments and exciting attractions there really is so much to see and do when you stay at MGM Grand. Please accept our apologies, however, for any in-room plumbing maintenance issues you encountered. Your patience in these matters is appreciated. We are glad that overall, you did seem to enjoy your room. Please know the Grand Pool complex with be open soon. We hope you have a chance to come back and enjoy it!

Reviewed February 20, 2014

I booked an executive suite for a three night stay for our industry trade show. The first night I could not sleep due to the noise from the adjoining room. They were screaming and fighting and banging against the walls. I called the front desk and was told they could not move me and would have security take care of it. I was awoke again at 3:00 AM with the same problem. I had brought a sound machine and turned it up to max but still would not cover the noise coming from that room. The second night I was awakened at 3:30 AM with screaming, banging on the walls and loud cursing from the same group next to me. I called security again and they said they had other complaints and would take care of it. They obviously never asked these folks to leave because the third night is happened again. I understand Vegas is a place to let your hair down but why should I be inconvenienced because another group cannot act civilly in their own room? To be awakened every night made for miserable days. If this is their clientele I think I will have to stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Do not book a room that has an adjoining room door.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Wade R

Dear Wade R:

While we do offer a wide variety of entertainment options that fosters a festive atmosphere of fun and excitement, we strive to make certain every guest can enjoy their stay at MGM Grand. We apologize for any noise or disturbance issues encountered during your stay. The behavior of any visitor should never adversely affect the enjoyment of other patrons. We further regret any service shortfalls committed by our staff when addressing your concerns. Rest assured we will examine these issues in our efforts to better manage the difficulties you endured. We hope for a chance to improve upon your service experience in the future.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

Everything was great during our stay. Some issues with some slow staff members while trying to purchase tickets to a show but it didn't ruin our fun time. Also had problems getting the rooms we had booked.

• Stayed: January 2014

Dear J4nelson:

We are so pleased you enjoyed your recent visit to MGM Grand. We do regret, however, any service delays our room assignment complications you encountered during your stay. Thank you for your patronage. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

We stayed at the MGM Grand one night in order to see the Eagles in concert. We were in the Grand Tower. The room had 2 queen beds and was spacious enough for us. The beds were comfortable and had plenty of good quality pillows. The bathroom was large and well lit. There were 2 very nice chairs and a desk chair. Check in was surprisingly quick. The only problem we had was the smell of smoke coming in from the hall- even though it was a no smoking floor. We had to put a towel across the bottom of the door during the night.

Room Tip: Even though we had a room near the elevator, it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear worldtravelfreek:

Welcome back! We aspire to turn every visitor to MGM Grand into a repeat guest, by continually improving upon all facets of the overall guest experience. Enhancements can be seen throughout our property with updates to our accommodations as well as new additions to our amenities and attractions. Our high profile concerts and events are also truly impressive. We value your feedback and your business. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

The Guest Experience