“Thank you MGM”

MGM Grand Hotel and Casino
Ranked #75 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I had an awesome stay at Grand MGM. I stayed at the grand king room. The price was right and the furnishings stylish. The bathroom is elegant with marble tiles and the lighting was adequate. Housekeeping kept my room clean.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Angelina R
There are newer reviews for MGM Grand Hotel and Casino

Reviewed August 14, 2013

LOVE the MGM Grand- the pool area is awesome, the lobby and reception, as well as the casino and restaurants are top-notch. We arrived the day the Bruno Mars was scheduled in the Arena. the only negative- for the $25 resort fee you get wifi- but only for 2 hours, it is slow and spotty, and clanky. Everything else A++.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 14, 2013

WAY TOO LONG TO WALK TO ROOMS after long day of walking. The man at the front desk had zero interest in making our check in anything memorable. He quickly gave us a room on the 5th floor that was facing a big wall. Zero view of anything. Even seeing the airport would have been more enjoyable. I asked if I could pay the resort fee (rip off) in cash and he completely ignored my request and told me to deal with it at check out. Check out came along and the man working near the "Guest Checkout" was completely ignoring everyone's questions. Saw him tell a spanish woman "I don't understand you" and walk away after she had a question for him. The staff here is rude and don't care about anyone. The wi-fi never works and it's impossible to get a hold of the front desk from your room. Also the resort fee comes with a free newspaper - does anyone actually want that?! If the internet worked I could read it online (duh!) Won't be back except to visit Hakkasan.

Room Tip: 5th floor room 5129 is a view of a beige wall if you're into that.
1  Thank abvegas
Reviewed August 14, 2013

The MGM is an awesome property. They had everything we needed and we enjoyed our stay. It is close to other casinos and allows easy access to freeway. The hotel is huge so be prepared to walk a bit to get to pools and other areas of the casino. I didn't mind the walking because it was part of my daily exercise:) I told my husband that the hotel should hand out pedometers at check in so people can see how much exercise they get while moving around the hotel. Healthy motivation?

Room Tip: We had what I would describe as a modern room. Nothing bad about it- very clean and streamlined. I...
Reviewed August 14, 2013

My wife and I booked a trip to Vegas and I pained for months over where to stay. Taking everything into account --- location, casino, pool, cost, room type, tripadvisor reviews, etc., I ultimately landed on the MGM. It is a decision that I do not regret one bit. The thing that put us over the edge to pick the MGM was the pool complex, which is the largest out of all of the strip hotels, and it did not disappoint. There are 5 pools to choose from including an "adults only" pool, plus a lazy river, and we never had a problem finding chairs at any of them. Plenty of shade to be found if you need it, and no problem or long waits to get food or drinks from the waitresses. As for the property itself, yes it is very large but anyone who complains about how long it takes to get around would have that same complaint of just about any of the large Vegas hotels. The service all around was very accommodating, friendly, and professional. The housekeeping staff always greeted us and every other guest in the hallways which created a nice, friendly environment. Housekeeping was timely and well done. I travel a lot for work, and I can honestly say that our bed at the MGM was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. We did some gambling there and I was pleased to see that there were $10 blackjack tables even on Friday and Saturday nights. The one thing about the casino here is that bugged me a little is it doesn't really feel like there is a central casino floor, per se. It kind of winds its way all around the ground floor of the property with no real focal point. The only restaurant we ate at in MGM was Wolfgang Puck's which was excellent but not worth the hefty $$$. The vanilla scent that others have mentioned is definitely there and quite strong, but it is pleasant and I wasn't really bothered by it at all. If nothing else, it covers up whatever cigarette smoke is in the air.

So, what needs to be fixed. A couple of things, both of which have been talked about before. The first is the reception/check in/out process. Brutal. For a property of this size, every station should be occupied at all times. We arrived around noon on a Friday, and they had about 6 or 7 people working the front desk which was highly inadequate. Our line was less than half the length of some of the lines we saw, and it still took us 25 minutes to check in, so I am sure that many people waited 45 minutes+ if not an hour. Simply inexcusable that they can't adequately staff the front desk. The second is the wifi situation. If you are going to charge a $25 per day "resort fee" which is ostensibly going to give you "unllimited, free wifi", you damn well better make sure it works. In my room, I couldn't get a signal at any time, on any device. Again, this is inexcusable especially when they are charging for it. To their credit, they removed the resort fee for 3 of our 4 nights when I called to complain about this.

To summarize, the MGM has a great location, excellent friendly service, and outstanding dining/entertainment/gaming options. The pool is the one thing that truly sets this property apart from the others. I would not hesitate to recommend the MGM to anyone going to Vegas, and would stay there again in a heartbeat, even with the issues I described. Hopefully they can fix them and get a 5 star review next time!

Room Tip: Ask for a strip view room.
2  Thank farcry2112
Reviewed August 14, 2013

This was our second stay at MGM Grand, the first being 17 years ago on our honeymoon LOL - we have been to Vegas in between but as it was our 14 year old sons first visit we thought we would take a trip down memory lane. This is a large, very busy hotel. Our Grand King rooms were on the 14th floor, they were large and quiet and the room dimming curtains were great at night, we had great nights sleeps. We went to see David Copperfield who was good not fantastic - we saw a guy on Americas Got Talent do one of the same tricks - and we ate at Avenue 24 one night and used Starbucks and the little cake shop at the bottom on the elevators. No complaints on those fronts.

The reason for the 4 stars? A 2 hour check-in line!!! After a 7 hour drive this is the last thing you want to see. 'It's always like this' is not an excuse MGM - you need to get it together. Self check in kiosks? Online Check in? or just more staff would sort this out. There were fussy kids hanging about the lobby and a lot of miserable people in line. A porter asked if he could take our bags while we waited which was nice and of course nice for him as he wanted a tip for taking the bags to our room but really - I didn't queue this long the week Harry Potter opened at DisneyWorld.

When we walked through Ceasars at a similar time of day people were just walking up to the check in desks!

I heard someone else say there is a check-in at the airport - if that's true and you are flying in make sure you use it!

Room Tip: 14th Floor was non smoking and quiet when we were there.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Huge place, lots of shows, David Copperfield, Brad Garret and several commercial venues such as CSI Experience and CBS Pilot viewing for possible new series. Bring your walking shoes, the Pool complex is at the complete opposite end from the elevators to the rooms. Also, if you are in the MGM Signature rooms, plan on a hike from your room to the lobby and casino--took my son 35 minutes to walk to our parked car and return to the room (they have a Cardio Room but you really don't need it, just walking from one place to another is a suitable work out). It is noisy in all the public places, the music is loud and geared to the under 30 crowd. All the food is very expensive (I never stay in anything less than a 4 star Hotel and food is still expensive by comparison). Be sure to check the prices before you order Room Service--1 bagel, 2 Bananas & Orange Juices & 1 coffee totaled $50.00 and to add insult there was an $8.00 charge for just placing the order with the Room Service operator! Rooms pretty standard, two families from our party got the cheapest rooms and they were a bit like being in a dungeon. Bed was comfortable, towels on the thin, skimpy side.

The Pool Cabanas are better than a lot of other local casino/hotels, pretty pricey at $600.00 per day but the best way to stay out of that hot Las Vegas sun and if you are with a group it is a great way to be able to visit and lounge in comfort. The food comes from the Pool Grill which again was expensive (a shrimp cocktail for 4 costs $100.00) but the food was actually pretty good.

If you gamble I found the machines to give better pay outs than a lot of other casinos I have played. Overall, if you want noise, cheap glitz and lots of cheesy places to spend your money this is the spot. If you want a bit more class try the Wynn and if you are economizing you may find the Tropicana to be a better choice. I usually stay at the Bellagio and will be returning there on my next visit (we were with a large family group and rooms were cheaper at the MGM so stayed there with them, the rooms may appear cheaper but they make up the difference with all the extra charges, rates & fees).

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family