“Be wary of boozy lazy river”

MGM Grand Hotel and Casino
Ranked #75 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stayed here for a night before embarking on a tour of National Parks. I picked it because of lazy river pool - thought it would be fun for kids. Although hotel was nice, well-located, and had good dining choices, I wouldn't recommend it to families. Lazy river was filled w/ drunk people and floating beer (albeit plastic) bottles.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Lori P, Manager at MGM Grand Hotel and Casino, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear Barbara L:

I am pleased to learn that the interior offerings of our property, such as our convenient location and fine array of dining options, were well represented. However, I am quite disheartened that your outdoor excursion to our Grand Pool complex was less than optimal.

MGM Grand caters to a wide variety of travelers, and endeavors to provide attractions with universal appeal. While our efforts are often met with success, extremely popular features like our lazy river pool can prove a greater challenge. I apologize if the time spent there negatively impacted your stay.

We thank you for sharing your experiences, and will use your remarks to ensure every aspect of our resort is free of detriment.

Lori Pastor
Manager of Guest Experience
MGM Grand – Las Vegas

There are newer reviews for MGM Grand Hotel and Casino

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stayed at MGM Grand with our teenage kids for 3 nights,booked via Booking.com. At the arrival we got 2 rooms separated with doors, which were perfect for our family. The concierge arranged for us tickets for David Copperfield show that night and then we were able to get seating at Robuchon restaurant the day after. The Hakasan restaurant has one of the best fusion cuisins we ever tried. We were amazed. The rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable. The buffet restaurant is not good,but all the service of the hotel is great. The location at the begining of the Strip is great. We enjoyed our stay a lot. The pools were dissapointing a bit, but we didn ´ t come to Vegas to swim in the pools.

Room Tip: Try to book the room with the Strip view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jana V

Dear Jana V:

As you witnessed during your visit, an extensive amount of work went into our Grand Renovation project. From the newly remodeled and lavishly appointed rooms and suites in our Grand Tower, to the delectable fusion cuisine and frenetic energy of our Hakkasan restaurant and nightclub, there is little doubt why MGM Grand is considered one of the preeminent world travel destinations. However, if we fall short in any aspect of a guest’s stay, we view it as a disappointment.

I will be sure to pass along your comments to our staff, so we can provide a flawless resort experience the next time you are in town.

Lori Pastor
Manager of Guest Experience
MGM Grand – Las Vegas

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stayed at the MGM Grand under their King Superior room. Upon check-in we were told that non-smoking rooms were not available and we had the option of getting a smoking room or downgrading to their smaller room and receive a $75 dinner credit.

We decided on the MGM Grand for branding purposes therefore we took the smoking room.

The experience was great. Nice spacious rooms, very comfortable. A lot to do with many dinner options.

I would've given the MGM Grand a 5 star if they had delivered on our non-smoking room request.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank shernandezjr
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Checked in on a Friday afternoon, and although the check in queue was long it moved pretty quickly and we were in our room in no time. The room was fantastic, modern with a large bathroom and great view of the surrounding areas. The pool, or should I say pools were excellent, with cold beers and cocktails (although a little pricey) readily available. The main pool had a better sound system than a lot of clubs I've been in so if that's what your after then this is the best. The hotel is massive so it can take quite a while to walk between places. The staff were extremely friendly and couldn't do enough to help.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hurleynight
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

After an eleven hour flight from the UK, my friend and I arrived at the MGM grand.
The check in process was very smooth, with free iced fruit water been given out whilst we waited. We were both very tired and were expecting to have to drop our bags then trawl around for a few hours as we had arrived 3 hours before check in time, however we were given early check in with no extra charge.
After walking through the casino and finding our way to the elevators, we got to our double queen room. It was clean and the beds were divine. I loved the 2 sets of pillows both hard and soft.
We had noticed empty plates and trays outside rooms and that seemed to the theme of the week. Made the corridors seem shabby.
The corridors were a long walk and often cold which really made you noticed the 48 degree heat when stepping outside.
Service in the casino was non existent we played the slots and various machines for a good 2 hours on both the 2nd and 3rd night and was not offered one drink.
Pool was loud and not relaxing at all, had a benidorm feel to it and don't bother hiring a lazy river tube too many people to crash into that choose to walk around it.
Prices are ridiculous do not go to the frozen yoghurt place $13 for an apple juice!! The staff are rude beyond belief.
Do use the Grand Canyon store at the back it's so cheap for bottled water beer etc.
I would recommend a flight over the canyon and the heart attack grill down town on Fremont street was a good laugh.
I will be returning to Vegas but will look at staying at somewhere more relaxing, mgm is very very big so prepare to walk. It's in a good location of the strip however does attract the party people which is fine we partied hard but vomit in the corridor and people banging your door at 5am isn't my idea of fun. Didn't eat in the hotel as prices and quality amazing on the strip. Diablos Cantina is fab, situated next door to Monte Carlo

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Love this place since they remodeled the rooms. They are very comfortable and clean and updated. We used to come just for the pool but now will come for the comfortable rooms. MGM did a great job updating the property and we will be back!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wes777
Reviewed July 8, 2013

So I decided to visit Vegas last week for the first time,and based on reviews,I booked the MGM Grand hotel. I'm not a complainer for the most part and fairly easy to please,but let's get right to it:

Pros:
*HUGE Hotel-easy to meet people
*Room was nice aesthetically and bed was comfy (I stayed in a grand queen on the 17th floor)
* Housekeeping is quite thorough. Always stocked towels and tucked the [--] out of my bedsheets everyday.
*LOTS of food options on the property
*The convenience store near the elevators was a LIFE SAVER
*I arrived on Tuesday July 2 around 7pm at the hotel. Check-in was a breeze and I appreciated the courteous employee that checked us in.
*Huge parking garage. Almost too big. But my buddy rented a car and we found parking pretty easy each day (Something I learned today--ALL the hotels on the strip do free valet,regardless if you stay at that hotel or not. Would have been nice to know this before my trip lol)
* There is a walgreens,7-11, and small food court with a Subway,Sbarro,Wendy's,Del Taco and DQ less than 1/4 mile from the hotel. I ate at subway most of the week but the Walgreens has a nice selections of sandwiches and salads too. I was able to buy a gallon of water for 42 @ the walgreens and lugged it back to my room.

Cons:
*Huge Hotel. Takes FOREVER to walk through. my friend and I were finally able to speedwalk through it at about 7 minutes after a couple days lol
* I didn't like the water pressure in my shower. Didn't have a hard stream.
*My room would get warm in the middle of the night,which made me uncomfortable and hard to sleep.
*Ice machine on my floor was out the majority of my stay (I was there July2-6)
*I knwo that i went for a holiday weekend and it waould be busy because of that but it was also UFC Fight week and I think some kind of dance competition was there. Kids and stage moms...EVERYWHERE. I'm a single 25 year old with no kids...on purpose. If i wante dto be around kids,I'd have some. (No that has nothing to do with the hotel,but I'm just saying)
*Far down the strip from the center. Not a crazy far walk,just not the most convenient when its blazing like hades outside.
*DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING YOU DO NOT PLAN ON BUYING! I was so gracious that the employee that checked us intold us that there is a $50 restocking fee if you pick something up and don't use it. (It has sensors and there's also a sign in the room) Fortunately we didn't pick up anything available in the room (never used the mini fridge or the water/nuts) but that mark-up is INSANE.

Overall,I wanted to stay somewhere where I could meet other people my age and relax. I enjoyed the casino (I'm no gambler but the Michael Jackson slot game was my BFF by the end of the week!!) Unfortunately,it was too hot to be day buzzed (day or night really) but I'm glad I tried the MGM. I'll probably try another hotel on my next visit but I'd stay here again. There was so much I didn't get to experience (Wet republic,Hakkasan nightclub and I never ate at any of the restaurants on property.) So I'll be back. Eventually

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends