“Shameful Front Desk” 1 of 5 bubbles

MGM Grand Hotel and Casino
Ranked #67 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
“Shameful Front Desk”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

I went there with my Mother and I requested separated beds when I booked it. When I checked-in, FO agent #1 answered in this way: "Sorry Sir, You have booked through booking.com. You can contact and complain to them about your issue." I was so shocked and I didn't know how to answer to so much rudeness from a so-called 5 star hotel receptionist and I also saw my mother was really tired so I just paid the upgrade to the twin bed room. That night we went back to the hotel quite late since we checked-in at 4 pm and we had to leave the next day. So I contacted the front desk to ask for a late check-out. I called and FO agent #2 answered me in this way after my kind request for my mother to rest a bit more: "Sorry 12 is max. Nothing else I can do". During the Check-out FO agent #3 was very professional but so cold and never smiling. Concierge was rushing and never really offered good alternatives about places to go and eat during our short stay and the Sunday Brunch buffet was worse than Disney Land buffet (due respect to Disney). They didn't even provide basic amenities like tooth brush and tooth paste so we had to call and wait for 30 mins before delivery. Definitely not a 5 star experience.

This is pity because it is such a great establishment with an amazing casino and Hakkasan was just amazing!

I hope the Checkin and Checkout experience can improve.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Imfranco
Lori P, Manager at MGM Grand Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Imfranco:

I am utterly dismayed that your concerns were received in this manner by our Front Desk and Customer Relations personnel. It does not matter whether the information we received regarding your reservation booking stated a single bed request. The way in which this was relayed to you is absolutely deplorable. Rest assured we will take measures to insure that none of our guests are subject to similar treatment in the future. I also apologize if you felt rushed by a member of our Concierge staff. This will also be addressed internally, to prevent any reoccurrences.

Finally, I lament that your dining experience at the Grand Buffet failed to meet your expectations. We pride ourselves on providing the finest service and culinary offerings on the Las Vegas Strip. It is disappointing that your time spent there was far from agreeable.

We appreciate the candid observations submitted in your hotel review. Although regrettable, it assuredly will assist us in our continuing pursuit of service excellence.

MGM Grand – Las Vegas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,100)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

The new rooms are beautiful and so comfortable. The black out curtains are awesome and great for sleeping in. Staff is friendly and helpful. Oh and the food is incredible. There's plenty of different food places to choose from and it's reasonably priced for a higher end hotel. MGM Grand is our first choice in vegas.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear CandaceC1985:

It is truly gratifying to see another guest of MGM Grand so completely satisfied with their visit. Our “Grand Renovation” project has been rigorous, but completely worth the effort considering all the positive feedback we’ve received from our patrons. From the plush furnishings of our redesigned rooms and suites, to the addition of several new restaurants destined to be a hit with casual diners (and which we will unveil periodically throughout 2013), it’s no wonder why MGM Grand is the undisputed Entertainment Authority in the travel industry.

We are grateful for your kind words and patronage, and eagerly anticipate your return.

Saint Louis, Missouri, Usa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

Clean room, friendly staff. Had better luck at the MGM casino than the other ones we tried. Unfortunately had a bad experience on a repeat meal at Wolfgang Pucks Restaurant. First meal was great but didn't get what I ordered the second time we where there and staff didn't seem to care.

Dear Marcia L:

Our commitment to personalized attention sits at the very of heart of what we do here at MGM Grand. Whether it’s a warm smile from our housekeeping staff to accompany your extra towel request, or a friendly tutorial by one of our table games dealers for casino newcomers, we personify the very definition of quality customer service. As such, I can guarantee that your dining experience at Wolfgang Puck’s was an isolated event, and one that will not be repeated.

We thank you for your continued support, and are excited at the prospect of seeing you again soon.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

Overall a great place to stay from service to amenities the MGM has it all, you will not be disappointed! The lazy river pool is awesome they also have three other pools and the layout is just beautiful. Nice food court with a lot of selections opened late also. Buffet is good lots of choices even though I'm not a big fan of buffets this one did not disappoint.

Room Tip: I recommend the Executive King Suite.
Dear Beth R:

We are ecstatic to learn that you had “another great stay” at MGM Grand. It is comments like yours that continually inspire us to be at our best each day, and provide our guests with the kind of wonderful memories they will always cherish.

With summer practically upon us, there is absolutely no better way to beat the Las Vegas heat than by a visit to our Grand Pool complex. Situated on an impressive six and a half acres, this aquatic oasis truly offers something for everyone. From the laid back atmosphere of our lazy river, to the kinetic energy found at our Wet Republic Ultrapool, the Grand Pool complex is a spectacular and unique outdoor destination.

I’m glad you also enjoyed the many culinary offerings found across property. Whether it’s perennial favorites like Craftsteak and Emeril’s New Orleans Fish House, or a quick bite on the go from our robust food court, your taste buds are constantly regaled at MGM Grand. With some innovative yet accessible new entries to our gastronomic lineup set to appear in the coming months, the options to satisfy any dietary craving will be at your fingertips.

Your loyalty honors us, and we anxiously await your return to MGM Grand.

Venice, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

We just got back from celebrating my bachelorette weekend at the MGM Grand. Our stay was awesome! We had a Marquee Suite (2 bedrooms, 2 baths, pool table, giant living room, bar and table, amazing corner view and 1500 square feet). It was insanely nice! MGM Grand's remodel is impressive. We loved the pool. The lazy river is such a fun experience and much better than some of the other Las Vegas pools. The service was wonderful every step of the way. Highly recommended! I've stayed at 8 other hotels on the Strip, and I'm never staying at another hotel again. MGM Grand customer for life. Thanks!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Stefanie D:

Congratulations once again on your impending nuptials! We are absolutely honored that you chose us as the host sight for your bachelorette festivities. Las Vegas in general, and MGM Grand in particular, are fabulous locations for any celebratory occasion. The entertainment options are limitless, the luxurious amenities endless, and the ultimate in inimitably tailored service awaits you here at MGM Grand.

Welcome to our family, Stefanie. We’ll see you again on your honeymoon!

Los Angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

I'm sitting in the sports book area of the MGM grand in Las Vegas because here are the only chairs available that don't require a bet. It's 7:00 AM on Saturday morning. I'm drinking my Starbucks. There are still drunks wandering about pretending they're having a good time. The staff here are pretty terrific. Always friendly, helpful; they seem to actually enjoy their jobs. That kind of attitude always reflects well on the management.

We got here Friday afternoon. Not a recommended time. Long lines assure that it will take you at least an hour to check in. Architects will tell you that one important part of a building is a "sense of arrival." There is none here. While over the top is a part of the Las Vegas experience - over the top elegance, over the top luxury, etc. - the sense of arrival here is over the top loud and tacky. This is not a pretty place.

We're staying in the west tower. Rooms are ok. Pillows and beds are at the high end of acceptable. Much better than Holiday Inn but certainly not the Ritz. I'm glad I brought my own pillow. Television is ok. Minimal channel selection and often there is a "lost satellite connection" causing the tv to stop for a while, or freeze while the sound continues. Who needs tv anyway?
Be sure to get a map of the property when you check in. It's huge and confusing, easily a half hour walk from one end of the property to the other. Do NOT depend on the signs directing you to anywhere. You'll get there eventually, but you'll be unnecessarily treated to the opportunity to play slots over and over again. Even with a map, you might have trouble. It's not exactly easy to follow. It's also hard to find the area for whatever game you want - at least the first time or two.
Bear in mind that we aren't staying in a high end room; it's not a two story suite with a huge balcony and ensuite butler. They are also available (and beautiful) along with a host of intermediate options. Use your high limit card.

Do not try the concierge. They are always busy. Friday night they didn't even answer the phone. Make reservations on the property by calling the restaurants directly. Just ask the operator to connect you to the restaurant instead of the concierge. Fast and easy.

Restaurants :
There are lots of restaurant options available, including a food court that looks like it was transplanted from a local mall. I always avoid those like the plague. Your mileage may vary.

The Stage Deli makes you feel like you're back at the airport.

Stay away from the "Rainforest". Food is only fair and the tacky animated elephants and monkeys are an embarrassment.

Chef Tom Colicchio has a place I can highly recommend (Craftsteak). It's a lovely, comfortable, steak place with serious dedication to quality and service. Be careful, though. Portions are huge so if you order a side dish, it will be enough for two or three people. They call it "family style." I call it overkill. Expect to pay at least $100 a person with wine and tip. Some steaks approach the $200 mark. Just for the steak. (Japanese wagyu.) You don't want to know about the expensive wines, but check out the wine list anyway. Very impressive. And if you've had a good night at the tables... why not? That's why they're there.

Wolfgang Puck also has a restaurant centrally located on the property. It's not bad at all. No surprises, just good food and service in the Puck tradition.

A third one we tried was a Chinese restaurant called "Pearl." Overpriced, mediocre Chinese food with obsequious, questionable service in a truly beautiful setting. Food was consistently delivered to the wrong person and, when we told them about it, it continued unabated. $160 dinner for two with wine. Nothing special here. Walk on by.

After trying a lunch at another on site restaurant... "Diego's" we decided to patronize an off site place. I doubt that anyone associated with Diego's has ever met a Mexican. Certainly not the chef. Food is bland, if well presented. The color scheme made my eyes bleed.

We have a lot of love for Thomas Kellers restaurants, so we cabbed it to the Venetian for dinner at "Bouchon." (The Venetian is a terrific over the top presentation of classic Italian art and architecture.) If you go to Bouchon, request an outdoor table. Inside is very noisy. Outside is lovely. The food is what you might expect, with one caveat that the coffee is closer to diner coffee than the fab French press deliciousness you'll find at his other restaurants. Stick with tea, wine, or water. Service is good, but not up to the normal Keller standard. Sit by the fountain outside, it's a quiet respite from the frantic Las Vegas experience. Finding Bouchon is difficult. Leave extra time. It's worth it.

Casino:
The casino is huge and annoyingly loud. My ears rang for hours. Actually, the entire property is annoyingly loud 24/7, from reception to casino to pool.

The baccarat room is pretty quiet as is the poker area.
I love poker, and the dealers and bosses are terrific. The games friendly and fun. Baccarat tends to be more formal. James Bond loved it. It must be cool.

At the pool, it feels like some guy in a big SUV is driving by and trying to show off his new woofer. No melody. No sound besides a big computerized drum. I get enough of that in LA traffic. All day long, the pool area is loaded with half drunk, truly beautiful 20 and 30 somethings trying for a hookup. Fun to watch. Makes me glad I'm out of that time of my life. Ecstatic actually. I'm still trying to determine how long I'm allowed to stare at someone before its called stalking. We crossed the pool off our go-to list.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HedonistSpeaks
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

We had a lovely stay. The room was really lovely very clean with an excellent view. The electric blackout blind was brilliant for use when we arrived. The room was spacious and a lovely bathroom. The sheets were really white and their housekeeping do a grand job , i hope they get some credit to their good work on keeping the rooms well maintained. The rooms were quite and other guests not heard. Their was an excellent little shop and Starbucks for things at 3.15am and the staff were helpful seeing i was a bit tired from flying. There was a fight on and not even this disturbed our holiday. Plus the car parking was free, now that made a change. The only flaw too big to push a wheelchair and chat to new people like a small hotel. But Well done

Green Features: Share the towels to save water etc which we always do
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family