“"Grand" all round.”

MGM Grand Hotel and Casino
Ranked #85 of 265 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We have visited this hotel a few times before on previous stays in other Vegas hotels, and have always liked the look of the place. Having now spent nine nights here our opinions have just been confirmed. There's so many plus points about this hotel which you can read all about online, but the level of friendliness and service throughout was excellent. Great rooms, lovely comfy bed, fantastic pool area, and lots of dining options in the hotel to suit all budgets.

Would be more than happy to stay at the MGM next time we visit Vegas, and it should be one for your shortlist too.

Room Tip: Grand Tower rooms have a nice central location.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (19,419)

Reviewed May 15, 2013

I've stayed at MGM many times and while the remodeled rooms are nice, restaurants are good, casino fine, they don't have, or won't invest in, the infrastructure necessary to handle so many guests. Couple cases in point. Pool at 11:00 a.m. on friday, not a single chair available. People were sitting on sidewalks, or anywhere else they could find open space. The baggage check is nightmare, with lengthy lines checking bags and even worse system picking up bags. On pickup, they had one guy handling all customers. He would go into back room for long time and come out with one customers bag on his luggage cart, instead of, obviously, picking up bags for multiple customers. Waited 45 minutes to get my one bag, nearly missed flight. Worse, he was only one working. When i asked the 3 people at desk, whose jobs apparently are limited to taking customers ticket and handing it to worker, why they had one person handling luggage for a 4,000 room hotel they just gave blank stare. MGM just too big and unable to handle so many. Will not stay there again.

Room Tip: high up is always better, but even their standard rooms are fine.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I enjoy the hotel itself, but the extra walking and being on the end of the strip always adds a few miles to your trip. I don't mind this, but for others (and mostly bigger folks) this is something to note.

I saw KA while here -- great show. I sat in the 4th row which was great -- but almost too close -- as there is a lot of action up and behind that may be an issue for some older folks.

The pool was great -- the lazy river was a blast. It's silly to me that the main pool opens up at 8am but the lazy river area opens at 10am. Why not the same time? Wet republic was $30 to go to -- opted not to. The drink service in the pool are was VERY slow -- $25 per drink for frozen drinks with an extra shot...and they're all pre-mixed garbage so the extra shot is needed.

Hotel was clean, lots going on always. The Rolling Stones were in town so it was an older crowd there which was nice. Not as many hooks in the lobby as usual.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 15, 2013

This was my first trip to Vegas and my husband's second and we stayed for three nights in a Grand King Room. I highly recommend this type of room. I wanted to take the bed home with me, it was that comfortable. The MGM Grand is gigantic and you will get a workout walking everywhere. However, once you learn your way around, I feel it becomes smaller. When we first arrived, the line for check-in was quite long, but MGM knows how to handle crowds and the wait was not that bad considering we were checking in right at 3pm. Take advantage of all the great food options. The buffet was was great and Wichcraft has amazing quick service food. We had dinner one night at Diego's and it was amazing! We went to the new club Hakkasan one night and it is pretty amazing!

The pools are great but be forewarned, if you are not there when a pool opens, you will have difficulty finding a chair on a Saturday. Be prepared for loud music at many of the pools (which could have been turned down) and lots of intoxicated people (this is Vegas).

This is a fun and beautiful hotel with great staff and service!

Room Tip: Spend a little more and get a Grand room if possible. Know when pools open to make sure you can gr...
Reviewed May 15, 2013

First, let me start by saying that we were a little worried before our arrival in Vegas because there was a Rolling Stones concert at the MGM the weekend we stayed. I was SO thankful once I realized that MGM knew how to handle big crowds, and we barely noticed the influx of guests for the concert!

Where to start? The room! We paid to upgrade our room from the West Tower, and I am so glad that we did! The West Tower was so far from everything, we were very impressed with the newly renovated rooms in the Grand Tower, and our awesome strip view of the NYNY, Excaliber, Monte Carlo and Mandalay Bay (from room 26-320, if you're curious). The room was spotless, which was impressive because I am very picky about the cleanliness of my room. We LOVED the decor and furnishings. The king sized bed was very comfortable, and the bathroom was more than adequate in size. There was enough counter space for both my boyfriend and I to get ready at the same time, which is more than we can say about our house! As other reviewers mentioned, it would have been nice to have a mini fridge available for our use (without an extra charge). The blackout shades were very conducive to sleeping in and taking mid-day naps to recover from all the fun we had at the pool. Overall, we were very, very impressed with the rooms.

Service at the hotel...we did not have any maid service during our 4 night stay because we keep the room tidy and prefer not to have any intrusion in our space, especially since we slept in most mornings. We did have a few maids ask us if we needed service while they saw us in the hallways, which I thought was nice. I was happy that our check-in experience went smoothly, the girl at the front desk was very amiable. Lucky for me, I knew about the resort fees ahead of time. I'd like to say, if you go to Vegas and get angry about paying $25 per day in resort fees, maybe you should have done some research before you left. ALL hotels on the strip charge these fees, and if you're going to complain, maybe Vegas isn't the place for you! We were allowed to upgrade our room upon check-in, and even though we arrived at 11am we were still able to go right up to our room with no issues whatsoever. We did not have very many interactions with hotel staff after check-in, although I would like to say that we had a waiter at the Buffet during brunch on our last day that went above and beyond for us. I wish I had caught his name, I know it started with "App" and I think he was Italian? We were so satisfied with his service that we ended up tipping him more than our actual server, who was absent after she brought us our mimosas and sent us off to the lines. We checked out at about 4am, there was obviously no wait and it took less than 2 minutes. Overall, the few interactions we had with hotel staff were pleasant.

The pool was incredible. BY FAR the best feature of the hotel. I am honestly not even sure how many pools this property has, because there were so many to chose from! I also had no idea that the MGM had a lazy river, what an awesome surprise! The tubes are $16 to rent all-day, or $10 after 1pm. I was a little irritated that we paid $32 for 2 inner tubes, and then spent the majority of our time navigating through the crowds of people who were just STANDING in the lazy river. I wish MGM had rules about that sort of thing, because the life guards were very aware of what was going on and nothing was ever done. With so many pools on the grounds it baffles me as to why any of those idiots felt the need to just stand in the lazy river. Other than that, the pools were clean, and even had salt water instead of chlorine! Very nice! I will say, Sunday and Monday the pools were almost deserted (especially Monday) and it was much easier to find a place to lounge. Good luck getting a waitress at the pool to bring you anything if you're young...they seemed to only service the older couples. You're better off walking to the bar yourself, and since there were several, that wasn't inconvenient.

We aren't gamblers, but we did play a few slots at the MGM with no big winnings to report. The Casino was much nicer here than at most of the other hotels we visited. A lot of people have commented that the vanilla smell circulating throughout the hotel was overpowering...we found it to be a welcome break from the smoke-fill casinos in many of the other properties. There was MUCH less of a smoke smell here than anywhere else that we visited! It looks like they have recently updated the casino in addition to the guest rooms, because the carpet was clean and bright.

We had the pleasure of eating a several MGM restaurants, which I will review on their own. I will say that if you can, you MUST eat at Wolfgang Puck! It was so good, we ate there twice. I will also say that the MGM had a pleathora of dining options, from a food court to mexican to sushi and steak, we could have spent our entire trip without leaving the hotel and been completely satisfied.

Overall, we had an amazing stay. My boyfriend has already mentioned that when we come back, we will be staying here again!

Room Tip: Get a room in the Grand Tower with a strip view. The West Tower rooms are further from all the actio...
2  Thank Lauren B
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We stayed at the MGM Grand for 3 nights in April and things didn't go well when we arrived. We parked the car and walked the long distance to the hotel lobby leaving our heavy bags in the car, hoping that a porter would help us with those later - no such luck! The queue at check-in was ridiculously long and didn't go down very quickly. We knew the hotel was huge so I guess this is all part and parcel of that, but if you've got that many guests then put more staff on, it's not rocket science as they say. So, we eventually get served only to be told that the tower spa suite we had booked was not available. They "upgraded" us to a larger suite and made it sound like they were doing us a favour. Hello??!! This is NOT the room we booked and paid for so why should we be grateful? I was told that no-one could come to the car and help us with our luggage and we couldn't use their trolleys ourselves for health and safety reasons!! Absolute garbage! Do millions of people not use trolleys every single day at hundreds of airports all over the world!?
Ok, so we lug our heavy cases 15-20 minutes to our very poorly lit room (why no ceiling lights??), get changed and decide to go for a walk along the strip. I took the hotel plan with me after hearing stories of people getting lost in the large casino. What a waste of paper that was. After about 20 minutes of walking through what must be the smokiest casino in Las Vegas we eventually found our way out. I know they don't want you to leave but all the other casinos we visited had at least the odd exit sign dotted around and none of the others stank of smoke quite as much as the MGM did.

On the upside the breakfast buffet was fantastic and excellent value and we also ate at Emorils Fish Restaurant in the hotel and had a first class meal - the best scallops I've ever had. The Ka Cirque Du Soleil show was also excellent and the theatre it was set in was amazing.

I would give the hotel and casino 1 star and the restaurants and theatre 5 stars hence the average of 3 stars.

Tip : for show tickets, attraction tickets and discounts in hotel restaurants use Tix4tonight outside on the strip.

Room Tip: It doesn't matter, you won't get what you booked!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We stayed at the MGM grand this April and was completely dissapointed with the staff and customer service even from before we left England. I Was concerned that the room we had booked a spa suit wasn't big enough for a family of four and rang them for advise about two weeks before we travelled and was told that there wasn't a sofa bed and our children would have to sleep on the sofa, when i spoke to my travel agent they spoke to someone else who confirmed that info was not correct and there was enough beds. Our flight was cancelled on the day of travel and when the ba flight attendent tried to contact them to let them know of our late arrival they would only deal with our travel agent and couldn't understand that at ten o clock at night in england every where was shut . It took them an hour and a half to agree to put a note on our booking to say we were arriving twenty four hours late (unexceptable). When we finally arrived they then gave us a room which was already occupied as i'm sure you can imagine we were very annoyed and worried that they would do the same to us and that our room could have been ransaked by not as honest people as us. When finally got an ucoccupied room they advised us as we had a not so good view to come the next afternoon and that they would give us a room with a better view , when we did this the said sorry all the rooms are gone you'll have to stay in the room we had,we wouldn't have minded this room its only because they advised us to come back that we agreed to swap rooms only to be let down by the MGM again. When getting ready to check out we were advised by the concierge that to get a late check out we should visit the check in desk twenty four hours before we were due to check out. After queing for twenty minutes i was told i shouldnt be there and should have rung from my room and that i cant sort out late check out till the day of departure and the i shouldn't listen to the concierge as they don't know anything about the check in desk. The lady then said as ive qued i could pay for the room for anouther half a day ,i wanted to check with my husband first and when i went back to the desk the original lady had clocked off and was told that no you cant do that the lady was wrong,i had to ring the following morning at eight o clock to sort it out. In the morning on ringing the desk they then offered me something else entirely but by then as im sure youll agree i totally had enough of all of it. I found all staff on the check in desk rude and unwelcoming. Having said that the holiday when not having to deal with their incompetant staff was great and in their deffence they did comp us a couple of times although thats not the point id have rather they didnt muck us about in the first place. Obviously it hasnt scared us of as weve just booked to stay in the signature next year in the hope staff and all these problems will be better there,fingers crossed aye.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family