“Great experience - thanks to a caring manager”

MGM Grand Hotel and Casino
Ranked #71 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Arcadia, CA
“Great experience - thanks to a caring manager”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We just had an absolutely wonderful experience (first time at this property) for our 19th anniversary. The "suite rooms" at the newly remodeled MGM are nicer than "luxury rooms" at many other hotels. Our first great experience was with reservation agent Alex, who booked us into a 23rd floor room overlooking the Strip. However, we had already let them know we would be willing to upgrade (at our own modest cost) as soon as possible to a "spa suite" - the excellent suite room but with a small jacuzzi. Through variious inventory problems and a bit of misunderstanding we werre able to upgrade instead for two nights to a penthouse suite (almost 900 square feet and a huge jacuzzi -only one such room per floor).

We stayed almost the entire three days within the MGM - helping to screen new TV shows, enjoying the very long lazy river and the excellent Wolfgang Puck themed restaurant - all on site.

Of course, there will always be problems from time to time but it is how management responds to these problems that makes all the difference. In this case, the guest services manager was very professional, really saved the day, and earned a long-time customer.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a Strip view (viewing the airport is not so romantic.)
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,207)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Fishkill, New York
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Stayed from April 28th - May 2nd. From the various dining selections (we really enjoyed Wolfgang Puck's and the MGM buffet) to the bars, shops, gambling and pools, the MGM Grand was awesome. The staff was also exceptionally courteous and helpful. Most of our time was spent out on the lazy river, sipping on buckets of suds while enjoying the sun. When relaxing in our room (2 Queen beds / smoking), we were blown away by the beauty and comfort level. The bed was so comfortable, my fiance and I are looking into making a new mattress purchase for our home! There is just so much to do here, you really can't go wrong. I highly recommend staying here, and will certainly be back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Lori P, Manager at MGM Grand Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Dear welster03:

Thank you so much for your gracious review. It is truly gratifying to know that you took advantage of some of the many wonderful experiences that make MGM Grand the Entertainment Authority of Las Vegas. Whether you come for the fine dining, luxurious room accommodations, alluring nightlife, exciting gaming action, exceptional service, beautiful Grand Pool complex, eclectic shopping, or for any other reason, there is no better place to stay than with us. We appreciate your business, and strong recommendation. We hope to see you again soon.

Clyde River, Nova Scotia, Canada
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I stayed at the MGM Grand for 3 nights in April. I was attending the Bon Jovi concert at the MGM Arena on April 20th and several other fanclub events that had the MGM Grand as the "home base". For this reason the location was excellent and very convenient. Otherwise, I would have much rather stayed elsewhere in a hotel without a casino.

Upon arrival by taxi, the bellman who grabbed our bags started begging for a tip immediately saying "this is the last time you'll see me, it will be another guy who brings the bags to your room". He repeated this four times and I nearly started laughing at him as I handed him a tip! Check in went smoothly and the desk clerk, Alex was very helpful and polite and gave clear instructions on how to get the elevator to our room. The walk to the room is long so if you have much luggage let them deliver it there for you. The room was fine. Two queen beds though not particularly comfy, reasonable sized bathroom, excellent blackout blinds. No fridge for storing water, etc. BEWARE: if you lift any snacks or drinks you are immediately charged for them, even if you put them right back! We were charged twice for one can of peanuts ($20!) and when I saw the charge when I got home I knew it would be impossible to get it sorted out by calling. The lighting in the room and bathroom was very bad, making it difficult for two ladies to get makeup applied properly. The party goes around the clock at the MGM so be aware that you will not get a full night's sleep. We were woken up each night between 4:30 am and 5:30 am by the party crowds returning to their rooms. They were so noisy that even with my earplugs in they woke me up! They knocked on our door and one was passed out on the floor for awhile outside our door another night.

The pool was very beautiful, however I did not like that you had to walk through the casino, store area, etc. to get to it! Seems very inappropriate to sport through the whole resort in beachwear and cover-up IMO so I chose to pass.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Theresa-and S:

Thank you for your candid assessment of your recent visit to MGM Grand. Your feedback and perceptions are invaluable in our quest to continually improve upon the guest experience.

High profile, elite entertainment is a mainstay for our Grand Garden Area. This makes our property the perfect place to enjoy not just the multitude of exciting gaming, dining, nightlife, and other resort amenities, but also the premier location for renowned performances by some of the hottest productions around.

We regret that you found some of the other aspects of your visit with us to be less than perfect. Service standard dictate that what you encountered at hotel registration is the norm and what you encountered with our baggage handlers is unacceptable. Your comments shed light on both the positive and the negative, and are therefore important to maintaining the standards we aspire to reliably provide. Concerns of noise disturbances are also regrettable, and we will continue to work hard to mitigate such behavior going forward.

While the Las Vegas resort casino style of property is not to everybody’s taste, we hope you consider visiting us the next time you are in town. Whether it is for a concert or event, or just to drop by, you satisfaction is our top priority.

Ashburn, Virginia
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Booked a couple queen suites for a bachelor party last weekend. I got into town first to get things sorted out and arrived at the MGM around 11am. Checked into my room, but found out the other room I had booked was not a Queen suite afterall, but a King Suite. Not ideal for the two guys staying there. It was adjoining to my room, however, so I figured "whatever...I'll let them sort it out when they get in if they want to change it". I was also told that my room was not yet ready (check-in is at 3pm) but given my room keys and a number to call to check on the status of the room. Was told that the room would be marked as 'Rush' for the cleaning crew. Great! Off to grab some lunch.

Called at 1pm...not ready...2pm...not ready...3pm...STILL NOT READY. So, now I am a little irritated. They basically told me to just keep checking back and eventually it would be ready. So, I headed for the front desk where I met some very willing employees who seemed to be doing their best to get me sorted out. I was given a different Queen Suite with a "better" view (ended up being a rooftop and some of the NY-NY roller coaster, but this wasn't a huge deal because I was not in town for the room view).

So, great news...now that I have a different room...I asked that my other room reservation (the incorrect King Suite) be moved to my old room (the still not-clean queen suite) once it was ready. "Absolutely" I was told..."No problem at all". I was also offered a couple of buffet entries for my trouble (they will be automatically removed from my bill) and a waiving of my resort fees for the day. Okay...starting to come around.

So, hit the buffet later in the stay to collect those comps and feeling right as rain. Found out from my buddies the day after check-in that their room was a King Suite!! Irritated again...they weren't interested in complaining and neither was I, honestly...so no big deal...but annoying.

After I checked out, I didn't realize that the charges for the Buffet had not actually been removed from the room charge...I just missed them in the bevvy of other charges that we had racked up at the pool and other various locales during our stay. C'est la vie.

We had a great time...I really do like the MGM Grand, but was left with a bad taste on the stay as a whole due to the lack of execution of the staff to make amends for the problems they promised to correct. Coming back to Vegas in August for 4 nights...still not sure where I will be staying this time.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear fl0ydMarv1n:

Thank you for offering your observations and for sharing your experiences with us. Your feedback helps us to better gauge the perceptions and observations of our guests.

We apologize for the problems that you experienced at hotel registration, and for the room assignment complications that you encountered. Your magnanimous patience in this matter is appreciated. While challenges inevitably arise from time to time, we work diligently to mitigate them in an expeditious manner. We regret if this proved not to be the case in your situation.

It is good to know that despite these concerns you still managed to have an overall positive stay with us. If you do have any further billing issues, please call us so that we might resolve them for you. We want your business, and we want you to have a wonderful time with us. We hope you consider MGM Grand in the future.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed May 3, 2013

We've been to Vegas a lot but this was our first time staying at MGM Grand. We decided on this hotel because the rate was comparable to others but MGM offered a $75 food voucher. We stayed 04/21 to 04/24. Our rate was $80/night plus the daily $25 resort fee.

I was recovering from abdominal surgery so not an ideal time to travel but my husband had to attend a convention. We arrived shortly after 3:00 and the check-in line was so long! After waiting 10 minutes and not getting anywhere, I knew I would not be able to stand longer (due to my surgery) but they didn't have a single bench or place to sit in the lobby. My husband found an employee and explained our situation. He immediately took us to a special area and we were checked in within 5 minutes. I was so relieved I wanted to cry!

We were given room 27-337. When I got off the elevator and saw that this room was located at the end of the hall, I wanted to cry again. It was at least a block away from the elevator and I knew with my surgery I would never be able to walk back and forth. I called the front desk and they immediately switched our room to 27-301 (right next to the elevator) but warned me it would be a much noisier room. I never heard noise from the corridor but the walls between rooms must be pretty thin because I could clearly hear the people next to us.

The room was a Grand Queen and very nice. I loved the automatic shades and blackout shades. One morning I slept until 10:00 am and the room was still very dark. The bed was comfortable and the sheets were nice. The bathroom was brightly lit. I loved having a full-length mirror. At night it was easy to find the bathroom because the light switch glows and there's a dim light glowing under the sink.

The room does not come with a fridge (though it does have a mini-bar) but there's a note saying you can rent one for $35/day. You could also purchase a technology kit for $35.

My biggest complaint was the shower. The water is low pressure so it felt like it took forever to get all the shampoo/conditioner out of my hair. Also, the first two days I showered later in the day and the water temperature was hot but the third day I showered in the morning (9:00) and the water was barely warm even though I had it on the hottest setting.

The only restaurant we tried out was the Grand Wok (separate review). It was delicious! We also used the food court for breakfast (McDonald's and Nathan's Hot Dogs).

We would definitely stay here again if we want to be on the South end of the strip. The customer service was excellent. The hotel was very clean. The room was nice.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 27th floor facing the airport. I thought we'd hear the planes but it was quiet...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Tamara98_99

Thank you for your review. We hope your recovery has proven to be a successful one. We appreciate you choosing MGM Grand as your resort destination to relax and rejuvenate.

As you have seen, the comfort and satisfaction of our guests is our primary concern. We do regret the delays you encountered at registration, as well as the room assignment complications you experienced. We further lament any plumbing or water pressure issues that you endured. Our mission is to make things right for our patrons. Your observations and feedback are very helpful in the remedy of these concerns going forward. We are grateful for your patience.

We deeply appreciate your kind remarks in reference to the excellent service and accommodations you mentioned. It is also great to know that you enjoyed your time at the Grand Wok. The food there is indeed delicious.

We hope to see you again soon. Please visit us again.

Hinton, Canada
Reviewed May 3, 2013

The MGM Grand is a one-stop deal. With that many people (over 5000 rooms) the hotel provides everything a visitor could possibly need. I hardly left the property because the amenities were excellent...nice casino, good shopping, great variety of restaurants, lovely pools and patios and much more.

Room Tip: Ask for the renovated floors for upgraded rooms and hallways.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear MonikaDery:

We appreciate your feedback. With breathtaking amenities, gorgeous accommodations, unparalleled attractions, and a culture of customer service dedicated to providing our guests with the finest resort experience possible, it really is no wonder that many of our visitors make MGM Grand their one stop vacation destination.

Thank you for staying with us. There is always more to see and do. So come visit us again soon.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Checked in on the 22April. Booked a king petite but didnt realize the room was THAT dark. Stay away from this room if the brightness of your room matters as this room only have a small window. Ask for an upgrade to a room with more light. Paid an extra $20 per night but that was fine. Our frontdesk agent was fantastic. I did several room move due to a few different reason but she was very patience and help me out. The rest of my stay was good. Room was really clean when I checked in.

would definitely return to this property next time.