“Great hotel in vegas”

MGM Grand Hotel and Casino
Ranked #81 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Stayed in the newer room and it was interesting. Very modern and comfortable. Not as good as some other hotels on the strip, but nothing really wrong with it. We enjoyed our stay and would think about going back. Watch out for the resort fee of $25 a day. You may find a great deal, but the $25 a day really adds up.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cruzerj3
Write a ReviewReviews (19,052)

Reviewed December 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the MGM Grand for the Barbra Streisand concert. I've always wanted to stay here and finally had the chance to. Well, the hotel is huge! The check-in took forever as it seemed like we came at a busy time. Once we got to our room we discovered that it was literally1/2 mile each way to and from the elevator to our room. The room was super quiet and beds comfortable. Enjoyed the huge shower and didn't want to get out!! I thought the room was nice. My only disappointed was the casino. It just wasn't as impressive as I had imagined - it's a bit outdated and could use a little re-vamp. There are plenty of places to eat and drink. The buffet was just OK - there are better ones. All-in-all I would stay there again! Enjoyed it!

1  Thank RudyAZ
Reviewed December 9, 2012

After taking my buddy on a trip to the MGM Grand to celebrate his graduation from law school, all I can say is that this hotel sets the standard for MGM properties. Every moment of our trip was fantastic thanks to the efforts of the staff.

The Rooms: I reserved two of the remodeled one-bedroom suites. These rooms were enormous, with a large living room containing oversized couches and a dining room table suitable for entertaining half a dozen of your closest friends.

The bedroom was well-proportioned, with a large desk/table, enormous king bed (which was incredibly comfortable) and hidden drawer safe large enough for a small laptop. Sheer and blackout curtains that opened and closed on command were in every suite, completely blocking out all sunlight and allowing you to sleep in after a long night of celebrating. Noise was not an issue. Because these suites are located at the end of the hall (it IS a walk from the elevator, but well worth it), you don’t have any of the traditional problems experienced in smaller rooms. Additionally, the insulation between my suite and the room next to me was great so no sound reached my bedroom if it wasn’t emanating from my suite.

The bathroom was fantastic and came complete with a walk-in shower, separate soaking tub, and large toilet area. My counter had a double vanity and plenty of room for shaving gear, towels, and clothes, with room to spare. All the working surfaces have been redone with granite, giving the suite an incredible appearance and feeling of luxury.

As for courtesy and service, everything can be summed up by one of our many interactions with the staff. At one point my buddy walked out of his room over to mine and locked himself out, but a quick call to the front desk led to security showing up at our door and letting him back in in less than five minutes. A simple ID check after letting him into the room, and our party was ready to continue. No hassle, and zero frustrations!

Dining: My buddy and I ate at the Studio Café, Emeril’s Fish House, and Craftsteak. Every meal, including our plain-Jane breakfast at the café, was fresh and wonderful.

We started at the café on our first morning, and ordered fresh oatmeal for each of us with the large fruit bowl to share. Our HUGE bowls of oatmeal came quickly, and our platter of fruit was all fresh and ripe. Score one point for the MGM Grand.

Lunch the next day was at Emeril’s Fish House. We ordered a light lunch; the special of the day- jumbo prawns in a Cajun spiced sauce on top of risotto. The prawns were just right… not overdone (rubbery) and not underdone as some restaurants have been known to do. The sauce was rich and spicy with overtones of butter, but not overwhelming to the point of heart burn. Service was prompt, with our glasses of tea and water never running dry and a waiter or waitress checking in on us every few minutes.

Our final meal at the MGM Grand was dinner at Craftsteak, which in my opinion is simply the best steakhouse in Las Vegas, period. We ordered the domestic Wagyu off of the chef’s menu, which was an experience unto itself. Our meal came complete with a selection of appetizers, one rib-eye and one filet for the main course, and an amazing selection of desserts. The appetizers, which change seasonally, were so delicious we wanted seconds of everything. Our steaks were excellent – moist, sweet, and tender all at once and served HOT! By the time dessert reached our table, we were stuffed but determined, and finished everything we were given. Make sure you eat the monkey bread first (think cinnamon roll, but much, MUCH better) because it comes fresh from the oven to your table and sets the stage for all the other sweets on your plate. The service here was outstanding. With an average of two waiters per table and a periodic check (I would say once per hour) by the restaurant manager, I felt quite welcome and taken care of.

Although we didn’t go to any of the casual dining spots, the selection is incredible, with a full food court and an additional sandwich shop less than a minute away from Shibuya, Craftsteak, and Emeril’s. Want dessert to go? No problem. The Haagen Dazs ice cream shop is in the food court. Looking for frozen drinks? The Fat Tuesday’s Dacquiri Bar is in the basement (OUTSTANDING!!!), and 32 degrees is steps away from Starbucks.

Gambling: The MGM Grand has every type of game you could want. Craps, Pai Gow, Roulette, Texas Hold-Em, slots from 1 cent to 100 dollars, a full sports book, and all the video poker you can handle. Hands down, this is my favorite casino in the city, mainly because of the size, but also because I can always find what I want (except for the classic Elvis slots). I can’t speak for everyone else, but I will say that I won three separate times on dollar slots. Enough said.

The Pools: We only went to the pool for about two hours, but during that time, the drink service was great and the vibe around the pool was definitely upbeat. The sheer number of pools is astounding, and is bested only by the lazy river that flows around what I consider to be the “party area” of the Grand Pool Complex. We didn’t make it to Wet Republic simply because we were having such a great time gambling and drinking in the rest of the hotel, but when we return, we plan on renting a cabana and getting outside a little bit earlier in the day.

The Spa: The MGM Grand has one of the two best spas in the city. My buddy and I both had the 80 minute deep tissue massage (which we agreed were some of the best we have had), leaving us relaxed, pain-free, and ready to take on the game tables. The spa facilities were immaculate with an impressive selection of amenities. There were plenty of private showers, a steam room, whirlpools, lounge facilities, and a dry sauna, along with juices, water, fruit, and hot teas for your enjoyment. The friendly attendants kept all towels, drinks, and snacks stocked and were available to assist you at any time.

Summary: The MGM Grand is truly the city of entertainment. The gaming is great. The food is wonderful. The service is second to none. The newly-remodeled rooms are fantastic. The location is great. The only way our trip could have been any better is if we had stayed in one of their Skylofts, which I hope to do in the next year. If this is your first trip to Vegas, stay at the MGM. There may be a lot to see in Vegas, but even if you never leave the MGM Grand resort, your trip will be exceptional!

Room Tip: Bigger is better! Make sure you get a suite!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank MrVegasTX

MGM Grand was great!
The room was one of the renovated rooms. It was a modern great room with a very comfy king bed. I highly recommend the hotel. The staff was very nice and helpful and the location was good. The hotel is the first stop on the monorail, which makes it convenient.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Lori P, Manager at MGM Grand Hotel and Casino, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

Dear Lis V:

We here at MGM Grand are pleased to know that ultimately, we provided you with a “Maximum Vegas” experience during your stay. Comments and feedback like yours certainly encourages us a great deal as we move forward.

The MGM Grand team works hard to provide unparalleled customer service and the finest hotel amenities to our patrons. We know our guests deserve the best. Your observations and comments reconfirm that we are indeed reaching this goal.

We truly value your remarks, and look forward to serving you again in the future.

Lori Pastor
Manager of Guest Experience
MGM Grand – Las Vegas

Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

The MGM is a nice hotel but its not 5 star, not by European standard. The room we stayed in was small the carpet was in need of cleaning, the toilet door dident close properly and for the first two days there was tape holding what seemed like the door frame on all around the outside of our door it looked awfull. But as we were told when checking out that the tower we stayed in was the one for travel company's and wouldn't be the best part of the hotel but that shouldn't make a difference if your 5 star. We dined in two restaurants one was the safari one to the rear, food was ok and reasonably priced, but when I wanted to charge it to my room I was left 20 minutes while they tried to charge it I eventually paid cash and left. The other was a Mexican, it was awfull terrible food and service. But on a bright note most of the staff were excellent and it is a nice hotel. And a mention to the lady who checked us out her name may have been Kay but I could be wrong. Irish/American red hair, a lovely woman and a credit to your hotel. Overall a good stay

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Our room was a very long distance from the check in area, and seemed like we would never reach our area! However, we did learn some shortcuts during our stay. We were also somewhat disappointed that there was not coffee service located in our room. But the hotel and staff were very helpful and cooperative. The concierge that helped us with tickets for a show was excellent. Overall, it was great value for a brief holiday!

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer to the lobby!!!
1  Thank girlsGeorgia
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Loved and felt like royality!!!!!! The spa is awesome!!!!!!!! They give you free water, so take it because all the other bottled water is expensive as crap!!!!! hahahaha It's huge hotel and lots of little shops, lots of restaurants, gambling of course. And there is a starbucks which is must! The rooms were nice, clean and big but your basic standard room. The view was pretty awesome. Staff was friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Ballin like a ballar should.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Khloe K:

Thank you for taking to time to share your thoughts about your recent stay with us. We appreciate all honest and straightforward feedback.

At MGM Grand we strive to offer the premier complement of world class accommodations, gaming, dining, shopping, night life, and entertainment options to suit the distinguishing tastes of today’s ever more sophisticated traveler. Observations like yours help us to evaluate and assess our performance toward this goal. Your gracious remarks regarding your time at the Grand Spa are particularly inspirational.

Thank you again for your comments, your feedback is indeed encouraging. Please come visit us again in the near future.

Lori Pastor