“Great hotel resort, great pool and shows”

MGM Grand Hotel and Casino
Ranked #70 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
London, United Kingdom
“Great hotel resort, great pool and shows”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights, parking in the multi-story next door was free (opposed to using the valet parking) and the reception desk was the other side of the rooms wing, which due to the ongoing work being done, meant we had to walk even further to get to the lifts to the rooms. So not the best having to walk through the whole casino with all our suitcases and bags. Also the pools are also on the other end (near reception), so end up walking in your swimming gear all through the casino. But once we knew our way around was not such a problem, yes it was far but everything in Vegas is big! The room we got in the west wing was great, spacious and well equipped. On checking in they tried to offer us an upgrade to their new rooms for almost another $200 which we declined, seeing the room we got we were so glad we saved the money as the room was more than enough for our time there. The pool area was also great and we found that was the best place to be during the day in order to cope with the heat, as too hot to walk up and down the strip. There were plenty of pools, including a river with rings and plenty of chairs either in the sun or shade, so not very overcrowded. We even tried the WetRepuplic pool party, getting in for free as MGM guests. The only issue was that the cocktails and food by the pool were expensive, although we found most things like that expensive in Vegas generally.
The cirque du soleil show in MGM grand called KA was fantastic and highly recommended. We got the cheapest tickets on the back row which were perfect, as the theatre is not that big, so not worth spending more to be closer. We also got in to the Tabu club for free as guests, which was great night out playing great music, did get very crowded though. For breakfast we stuck to Starbucks, so avoided the $20/person buffet on offer. There was a really nice crepe and sushi restaurant as well.
The only downside on the service was that on check in, as it was our anniversary they offered us a bottle of champagne which failed to show up. On the last night we called up and requested it before going out, despite promising to send it within 5mins, had to call up twice and finally arrived about an hour later! If they are going to offer, they should really keep up their promise!
The hotel is in a great location on the stip, just opposite NewYork NewYork and easy to walk up and down to see the other hotels on the strip. If going when really hot like we did in Sept, I would recommend walking the strip at night, still hot and need to stop for water and AC breaks, but much better than walking there during the day. Also the strip looks much better at night with all the lights on.
I would also recommend visiting the shark reef in Mandalay bay and the secret garden in the Mirage to see dolphins, as well as white lions and snow tigers. Something different to do that just gamble and drink. Can also get a deal if book 3 activities, we made the mistake to book the CSI experience which was a waste of money and they had to email the participation certificate otherwise would charge to print it out!
MGM was a great resort, in a great location. Once all the works are finished I'm sure will be even better. I would definitely stay here again and would definitely go back to Vegas, yes it was expensive but what an experience!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Benvinda R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,177)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Stayed here for three nights in November under an amazing rate through Southwest Vacations ($388 after tax for round trip flight - from Buffalo airport - and hotel, plus a $75 food credit).

My boyfriend and I checked in with a friendly front desk agent (I believe her name was Jackie/Jaquelin?). She was just leaving to go on break when the guest agent asked her to assist us. We said we didn't mind waiting but she said she'd be happy to check us in anyway. Great first impression! We asked for an upgrade on our room (we had the Petite King suite booked - and she said only the 1st or 2nd floor was available). She said she could give us a Grand Queen suite on a higher floor, for $20 extra each night. We said we really wanted a Grand King Suite though. So, she went to the back room for a good few minutes and came back to tell us one just became available.

I don't know if this is a trick that the front desk agents play, especially since the hotel is huge and we were checking in on a Sunday night (it really didn't seem THAT busy) to get us to pay up for the upgrade, but it worked and we took it. We were glad we did. Ended up in room 12-222 West Wing. The elevator was literally right next to the front desk. Not sure where people stay when they have to walk 10 minutes to their rooms, but our walk was short!

We had a view of the airport from our room, Hooters and in the distance we could see the mountains. Honestly, we both liked the view (despite Hooters). The room was clean and well kept and housekeeping was great at taking care of our room. My boyfriend left his Blackberry on the bed one day when we went out. When we came back to the room, our housekeeper had put his Blackberry on the nightstand, which was really nice.

Oh, and the bed? The most comfortable bed we've ever slept in! You sink into the pillows. It's wonderful.

Why I'm only giving it a 4/5 instead of 5/5:

- no coffee maker in the room (as mentioned by other travelers)
- $60 plus tax for a room upgrade plus the $25 a day "resort fee" makes the MGM seem like a bit of a tourist trap; which we clearly fell for
- I didn't like the shower head. The water pressure is very low and you can't make the water come out harder
- no shower caps
- on our first day, the vanity kit in the room had nothing in it. I will credit our housekeeper for replacing everything on the rest of the days though
- the restaurant we ate in the hotel, Fiamma, was just so so. Our server didn't seem to care much about us, which in my opinion, reflects a bit on the MGM - having a McDonald's in the hotel was great though! $4.99 for 20 chicken nuggets - perfect midnight snack!

If I could, I'd give the MGM Grand a 4.5/5. I'd also recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Book a Grand King Suite or better - it's worth the extra money.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Alexandra S
Bothell, WA
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I've been to LV several times but this was my first time staying at MGM. I would most definitely stay there again. The room was nice but not as large as I would have liked--but I don't spend a lot of time in my room while in Vegas! Everyone we dealt with at MGM was fantastic-friendly and helpful. I wish we could have spent some time in the pool complex, but it was extra cold outside when we were there. The only bad experience we had was a very long wait for a table at Craftsteak, even though we had a reservation. Please note, MGM--time we could've spent at the gaming tables!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank orcasgypsy
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I dreaded the idea of going to Las Vegas for my annual work convention and even more so staying on the strip. I ended up being pleasantly surprised by my stay at the MGM Grand. Like most hotels it is a large property. Our conference site was there so technically I didn't need to leave the hotel at all and you wouldn't have too if you didn't want to. The MGM Grand has it all, fabulous restaurants, gorgeous pools, spa and exercise facilities.
I am from another tourist town on the east coast and I was impressed by the level of service offered by the hotel. Everyone I spoke to was helpful and friendly. From the concierge to the bellhop, to the employees in the business center who had never seen such demand before as the ones that came with out conference. I was sharing a room with four colleagues and the check out process was excellent and efficient unlike any other stay as they were able to split the hotel bill without needed us to come up altogether. They have a service that also checks your luggage for the airport and you can rent a car (Avis) right on site. It is at the end of the Strip, but close enough where you can walk everywhere you want to go or take the monorail.
You can also eat extremely well at the MGM Grand. I couldn't quite afford Craftsteak, but the huevos ranchos in the MGM Cafe was quite possibly one of the best meals I had there. Good food options abound in the MGM Grand including Wolfgang Puck's restaurant as well a cheap quick options in their food court--McDonald's and Nathans to name a few. The Starbucks line by the MGM Cafe was long, but luckily there was rarely a wait at the one by the food court.
My chief complaint as with everything in Vegas is the smoke in the casino. Where I live, you cannot smoke indoors. All the casino areas of the hotels in Vegas have smokers. A room on the wellness floor might detox you from the one of the sins, smoking, in the city.
If you are overwhelmed by all of the choices in Vegas, this site is a great one I believe for most travelers including families.

Room Tip: They have these wellness rooms that you may want to stay. The key is to get into the tower and not o...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank scanloe
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Las Vegas is an odd place to me. I realize people come here for very different reasons, so they will be looking for very different things in a hotel. I was in LV for a conference, held at the MGM. I stayed there for a full week, which is probably too long in any conference center hotel, especially one that is part of a huge casino property. So it is in the context of a professional involved in a week-long conference that I review this hotel.
The good... comfortable, relatively quiet, nicely decorated rooms (I stayed in a king deluxe). Great staff at the front desk, in housekeeping, at the spa, in the restaurants. The spa services are amazing, if expensive.

The bad... the casino floor reeks of cigarette smoke (as did the first non-smoking room I was assigned) and some sort of piped in air freshener (Fabreeze?). Trying to get to meetings briskly is difficult, as tourists seem to shuffle around five abreast in a daze. There is really loud music everywhere. Lines are over the top long at check in, taxi stand, fast food outlets.

The ugly...Things are unnecessarily expensive--bottled water $3(machines) $6 (mini bar)--You have to go through the casino to get anywhere and everywhere involved with a conference in the conference center, so you always arrive at meetings smelling a bit like an ashtray. There are no soda or snack machines in the conference center, so you will walk a long way to pay $3 for a can of soda and $4 for a banana. I live in NYC, often considered one of the most expensive cities in the country, and I found everything in Vegas more expensive than NYC.

In sum, I don't like Las Vegas. I'm sure the MGM is fine for folks who come to town to smoke in public and gamble and party. For professionals here on business, it's not ideal, but I suspect nowhere in Vegas is. My three-stars are given for the particular context in which I was visiting. I'd give it 4 if I were in Las Vegas for a weekend of entertainment.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor facing the mountains. Many non-smoking rooms have been smoked in, so ask to move...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank drmgeorge
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed November 21, 2012

As glutons for punishment,we returned again. Nonetheless the Casino floor and moreso the entrance to Las Vegas Blvd area was mired in construction. Staff were pleasant enough for the free room we received for gambling.
As usual restaurants within were reasonable by our standards, but very good.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SandmanATCer
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I stayed at this hotel in October 2012 with my husband on holiday. We booked a non smoking renovated room. We arrived at around 6pm and had a short wait for check in. The lobby is very nice looking. They did not have the exact room type we booked, instead we were upgraded to a room with a King bed and a strip view which we were quite happy with! To make up for the inconvenience we were also given 2 tickets to Brad Garrett's Comedy club which was on that night. The room itself was very large, clean and comfortable, and we could tell that it was renovated as it looked quite modern. We had a good view of the Strip and the room was not noisy at all. The hotel itself is Huge, with a big casino. We ate one night at the MGM Grand buffet which was very good and had a huge selection. We also spent one afternoon lounging by the pool - and they have 5 different pools (including one pool only for adults) and a number of Spas which were very nice. Unfortunately Wet Republic was closed for the season whilst we were there, so we couldn't check that out. It was very easy to get a lounge chair by the pool (and in the shade) and there was no charge. We recommend the David Copperfield show within the MGM Grand (if still running) as it was very entertaining.

The location of MGM Grand is great, it is towards the Southern end of the strip, near Planet hollywood and across from New York, New York. There is a bus stop a short distance away where you can catch the Deuce bus (stops at almost every hotel) and the other bus which is the express and only stops at a few places but you need a prepaid card. It is also close to the TixforTonight stall at the Coke bottle where you can get same day tickets for shows. The drive to the airport only takes 10-15 minutes.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay at MGM Grand and would recommend it to others looking to enjoy Vegas and be close enough to the action, but still have some quiet.

Room Tip: Get a Strip View and definitely pay a bit extra for a renovated room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple