“Great value and service”

MGM Grand Hotel and Casino
Ranked #68 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
“Great value and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

For the money this is an exceptional hotel. Its one of the largest on the strip offering a large selection of food and entertainment as well as gaming of course.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,150)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Kitchener, ON
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

We stayed at Halloween, for 4 days and had a great time. First time to Vegas & we loved it, can't wait to go back. Got free drinks from MyVegas.com & will rack up more for the next trip! Loved the MGM Grand! Great music all the time. Lots of walking as it is so big, but lots of things to discover too. We booked a package, so airport transfers were included and although we also had to pay the $25 a night resort fee tax, we also got a $75 dining credit, so we checked out Emeril's & Wolfgang Pucks for lunch. The pools were still open, so broke up our day with a couple hours there. Although the pools were cold, the hot tubs were hot! Bought our drinks for the pool at a store right next door & they didn't mind as long as they were cans. And met many other Canadians, I guess we're the only ones to use the pools at this time of year! We had free wifi in our room & in the hotel lobby! Our room looked just like the pics & we had a view up the strip. The double shade is to keep the green light out of your room at night! The concierge desk was very helpful every time we went & if the line is too long just call from your room. They helped us get the bus up the strip, so we checked out all the hotels in our 4 days & got to Fremont Street & the outlet mall! We had no problem checking in early & checking out late. Also it's so big they have 3 Starbucks!

Room Tip: west wing was quiet when we were there
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

My husband and I took my parents here Nov 10-13. It was my parents first time and we had king petite suites reserved. My husband asked for a room upgrade but we were told nothing was available unless we wanted to pay an extra $25 per room per night. Now I realize we should have paid for the up grade. The Room felt like a dungeon to me, it was very dark and closed in. We ended up close to the end of the hallway on the 5th floor. Our view was of some spotlights pretty much pointed at our window, even with the shade pulled there was a green glow in our room all the time which made it hard to sleep. The bathroom allows NO privacy besides a frosted glass door and if someone comes to the room while you are in the toilet or shower the other person can't answer it unless they want to expose you to the hallway! Our TV in the bathroom mirror didn't work and the shower leaked all over the floor so we had to use towels to soak up the huge puddle/stream that snaked out from the corner of the shower door. I got most of the resort fee comped with Mlife and to the credit of the hotel, they comped the rest of our resort fees and room charges (totaling less than $100) for our inconvenience. I don't mind the walking at all, it's like that for just about every hotel on the strip. It helps burn off the food and alcohol consumption!
I've stayed at TI, Mirage, Aladdin (Planet Hollywood) and Mandalay Bay. All of the other hotel rooms were nicer than the MGM. Would I stay here again? Yes but only if we were in the grand rooms. NOT the petite in the west wing.

Room Tip: Pay for the upgrade and stay out of the west wing!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mountainchick
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

A huge hotel to loose yourself and others in. Great view down the strip from the room (mesh advertising cover over the window at the time disappointing for photos). Great central location near New York New York (excellent Irish pub), M&M world. A long walk to the Venetian and Paris, a very long walk to Bellagio. Found the monorail a day too late. Excellent highly recommended cabana with resort feel, good service, massages on the spot, circular pool. Casino smelled like perfumed masked cigarettes that was foul. Open 24/7. Room large. Bed fantastic although spent little time in it. Left something in the room after we realised rang and they posted it on - excellent service. Highly recommended but take your walking shoes.

Room Tip: ask for the room facing new york new york and a high floor for a great view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lnuge318
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

First time to Last Vegas from Australia.

MGM is a beautiful hotel with stunning rooms.

The negatives for me were as follows;
No atmosphere in the casino the layout was so spread out that people were scattered which meant the vibe at times was very flat and we felt more inclined to spend time at other hotels.

You're not allowed to open your own mini bar? I found this so bazar having to call front desk to open the fridge in your room and when we made the phone call as we were confused the lady on the phone had quite an attitude about it. Perhaps this is standard in the USA but I have never been to a hotel with a locked fridge. It also meant you couldn't store any of your own things in it as it was all electronic so if you moved anything by accident it would be charged to your room.

Room service was average and expensive but the presentation was excellent.

The location was a big miss as it's right on the edge of the strip and the walk everywhere in the scorching heat was a bit unbearable for me.

The hotel is nice, the rooms are great but it wasn't for me.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank BGWtraveller
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

i stayed at the MGM Grand last week with my parents and my 23 year old sister. the hotel is absolutely amazing, with so much to see and do inside, you need to put some time aside for even this! must eat at the rainforest cafe, and check out the pools, etc as this is all magnificent. also keep an eye out for staff that will be around in the afternoons-night times, to hand out wristbands for specials at their bars/clubs for that night! we had unlimited free vodka drinks for 2 hours one night :)

the staff were great, no complaints and the beds were really comfortable! our view wasn't the best, but it didn't matter as we were out seeing Vegas for most of the trip, and rarely in the room. it's close enough to walk to all the main attractions on the strip, but make sure you have good walking shoes on as "close" is still a fair walk! all in all, would recommend this hotel to anybody :)

Room Tip: we originally booked a basic queen room (with two queens) on hotels.com, and i checked again on thei...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank daniellew91
Raleigh, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

I am currently staying for six nights in the MGM Grand. First, this property, which is on the south end of the strip, is very close to the airport--I can see the runways from my window. That makes it a very quick (and cheap--$12) cab ride. The hotel is massive, but when I checked in, a member of the hotel staff directed me to the correct area; another person helped me to find an available check-in agent, who was very friendly, efficient, and helpful. Two people just to greet and help--impressive. The lobby is huge and there's pop music playing fairly loudly, probably to get people into a Vegas atmosphere. My room on the 28th floor is very spacious, immaculately clean, with a large, spotless bathroom. There's a minibar (but don't take anything out that you don't want--it immediately charges your room), but no coffee service in the room. Another great amenity is the double window shade, power-operated from the wall. The rear shade creates total black-out--not one bit of light gets in. The room has a couch and coffee table, nice desk/work space, and good closet space. Because of the deal that my convention worked out, I have free Internet service and access to the spa, but check to see if there are charges for those. The hotel has a casino and many other attractions, including major shows. There's also an adjoining mall and a connection to the convention center. Convenience stores, which sell wine and beer, are a few minutes walk and will be cheaper than the stores in the hotel. Right next to the hotel is a monorail that takes you down the strip, and you can buy tickets at easy-to-use vending machines. There are several good restaurants on the property. So far, my experience has been very good.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business