“Excellent Hotel!”

Ranked #70 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Mt Pearl, NL, Canada
“Excellent Hotel!”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We have been to Vegas four times now and I haven't found a flaw with MGM Grand hotel yet. We stayed in their new King Suite and it was very nice. Rooms are very clean and everything was great! We stayed here from Sept 17, 2012 to Sept 22, 2012.

The pool area is unbelievable!

If I could come up with any negatives, I would say the location is not ideal for first-timers to Vegas -- it is a little south on the strip, but not a huge deal, with the Duece and the Tram, and the joy of walking the strip. I would easily stay at MGM Grand again!

My biggest tip is before you do any gambling here(or any Vegas hotel) sign up for a Players Card to gamble with, and your next stay will be super cheap(or free).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ziggyp22

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,176)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
San Diego, California
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed in the west wing and the room was so far away from everything. Besides that, it was tiny! I had to try really hard not to get claustrophobic and just enjoy the bed (super comfy) The shower was cool too, big enough for two :) It's on the more southern end of the strip. The pool area is really nice. There's the lazy river and lots of different pools to relax in. The drinks down there are crazily expensive!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Redhill, Surrey, England
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We needed to spend a night in Vegas before setting off on a driving tour of Utah and Arizona, and I found an exceptionally good deal on the British Airways website for a room at the MGM Grand - £62 for a Petite King with a free upgrade to Grand King. Having read reviews on Tripadvisor our expectations were low - I was expecting a cramped shabby room and the kind of service I haven't experienced since I stayed in a vast Moscow hotel in communist times. But we were very pleasantly surprised - the hotel is vast, yes, but the check-in was quick, efficient and very friendly and helpful. Our room was very spacious, very well appointed and very comfortable, and for that price, incredible value. We found the hotel itself mind-boggling in it's scale and vulgarity, and the incessant music pumping out was very wearing. But overall, it was a good place to spend a night.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank RedhillChiliPepper
Newport News, Virginia
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Hmmmm....where do I start. Well first the good things. 1. The airport check in, so convenient and allows you to go about your plans. 2. The parking garge, easy to get in and out. Not as long of a walk like many have complained about. There really was not a bad parking space, each was close to the elevator/esaclator. 3. The beds in the room, SO comfortable and plush. 4. The location of the hotel itself on the strip.
Ok now the BAD......1. It is a party hotel for the young. All night people up and down the hall. Doors slamming, drunks, drunks, and more drunks. People across, and next to the room were noisy. Everytime they slammed their door, you felt it in the room. The whole room vibrated. 2. Was out all day, came back to a uncleaned room. Left and came back at 5pm...still not clean. So saw a housekeeper and got cleaned towels and wash clothes. 3. The bathroom has no vent, so when you take a shower the ceiling condensation builds. Eventually it will turn to mold. No double vanity. Found long strands of hair in the shower that did not belong to me, I assume it was the housekeeper.
Overall.....it is a ok hotel. Not the worst, but not the best. Most probably book there because of the name. I have stayed in vegas 5 times, first here. Have stayed at Bellagio and The Platinum. I was in the Grand tower in a newly renovated room. Room was nice, with a good view. When checking out, complained about the stay, was given one night free. Will not be staying there again. Off to The M Resort.......

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Kimberly W
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 7, 2012

stayed for 5 days at this very impressive hotel The staff were very helpful and polite.The room excellent and very comfortable
The restaurants and pool area were very good
on checking out i had a bill for $17.00 which was wavered

Room Tip: ask for qa room with a view of the strip
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank navyfenton
Houston, Texas
Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

I am biased, I don't like Vegas.. This hotel is humongous, loud music in the lobby night and day, thousands of people around. The typical Strip experience. Food in the hotel is overpriced, rooms are modern but small. I guess that if you are into gambling this place would be good, but for me, nothing to write home about..

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
NY
Reviewed October 7, 2012

My wife and I have stayed at MGM several times (at least 5) before the "Grand Renovation" and once recently. They told us that all the rooms were basically completed and that they were just finishing some other areas of the complex.

The newly renovated rooms look nice. They look fresh, stylish, etc. The electronically controlled shades are a nice little touch. The hallways are also notably nicer and lose that mid-late 90's vibe they had originally. I've always stayed in the "Celebrity Spa Suite" which is now the "Tower Spa Suite." It's about 700 sq feet and has a nice jetted tub in the bathroom. The swiveling flat screen TV is a nice change from the old TV's they had stored in large cabinets. My biggest beef about the room is the removal of the old refrigerators. Now there's a mini-bar with a sign warning you not to move anything for personal storage, or to be charged a restocking fee of $35! (Or maybe it was $50? I forget.) After dinner I went down to the front desk and explained to them that I needed to keep milk in the room for my two year old. The very nice clerk said they would charge $35/night for a fridge to be brought up. I told her this was unacceptable when there had always been one in the past, and when I was paying a resort fee of $25 a night. She went ahead and sent one up without charge for us- earning herself a $20 tip in the process.

I had no other complaints about the room, check in process, employees I encountered, etc. I also had another basic room booked under my name, for friends who were traveling with us. They were able to get us on the same floor together during check-in, which was nice. They were simply in one of the other wings of the same floor. Unfortunately for them, their water was turned off one afternoon due to construction. There was no construction within sight of them, however apparently the water issue is still going on. (We stayed the week of 9/16 for 4 nights.) I complained to a manager and told her that I inquired about construction inconveniences when booking my trip (being assured there were no longer any.) She waived the $25/night resort fee for all four nights on the second room.

There's still VERY noisy construction going on during the day in other parts of the complex. The lion habitat is permanently closed down and has been removed. The rest of the resort is largely unchanged. They still have one of the nicest and largest pool areas in Vegas. The restaurants are still fantastic. All the amenities you could want are still here. And the rooms have been touched up. In my opinion, it's still the best bang for your buck in Vegas. It's good for families, if you're inclined to take your kid(s) to Vegas. And it's great if you're traveling without them as well. Is it trendy? No. Is it "high end" like the Bellagio, Wynn, Cosmopolitan, etc? Absolutely not. But is it very well priced, in a good area of the strip, and have everything you could want in one spot? YES!

With all that being said, I am at the stage of my life where I prefer more luxury. I'm not sure that I will return unless my wife demands it based on their pool area. There are definitely nicer (and more expensive) places to stay in Vegas. But I still highly recommend it for those looking for a great deal and who fit the profile for the resort. You'll feel much more comfortable with your family here as opposed to rubbing elbows with "the beautiful people" who invade The Cosmopolitan every night.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family