“jockey”
Review of Jockey Club

Jockey Club
Ranked #43 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed April 23, 2007

We stayed at the Jockey club the week of March 25, 2007 through a timeshare. I was a bit skeptical about this place based on the reviews of all the construction happening.
There are two towers which are the Ascot Tower (closer to Las Vegas Blvd.) and the Derby Tower which is west of the Ascot Tower. They are connected by a hallway on the 2nd floor. You check in on the first floor and if you have a room in the Derby tower you have to take an elevator to go to the second floor and then walk through the hallway. Along the hallway in the second floor you cross the pool and fitness area on the west side. The only problem is if you have children in strollers as I did, it was not good going up the stairs after you pass the pool area to go to the elevators on the Derby tower.
A few days before (knowing there was noise), I called and requested a room in the upper floor to avoid the noise. To my surprise Yvonne placed us in the Derby tower Room 952 facing the Bellagio side. I thought we're lucky to have a nice view and hopefully no noise! Wrong! Around 8:30 pm. (the time my two boys ages 2 and 1 were already asleep) construction workers started the construction in the parking lot area. It was OK but at times rather loud even on the 9th floor. Then the next morning around 10 o'clock they started working on the condo next door. They took everything out (kitchen cabinets, rug...) and that was noisy so we just left for the day. I guess this place is owned by private owners as well so they were doing some upgrading.
Location was great! You can just walk down the strip. It was nice to have a kitchen area. They have valet parking only. They have DSL service on the first floor of every tower. You can visit the hospitality room and have some free popcorn, coffee, two free movie rentals and board games to check out.
The staff was very friendly and helpful. I have no complaints besides the noise factor. I guess it's unavoidable!?@ They are doing construction on the North side (parking lot), South Side (whole new hotel I think it's Trump Towers) and across at the Aladdin. Overall, it was great even with the noise.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank BettyL

Reviewed April 20, 2007

What a great place to stay. The facility was very clean. The location is so super. It is in the "heart" of Las Vegas. We were highly impressed with the friendly staff, the excellent room, and the whole facility. Lew Hollinger, Ohio

Stayed: April 2007
1  Thank LewOhio
Reviewed April 9, 2007

I recently stayed at the Jockey Club (March 30-April 4) with 4 girlfriends - our annual "Ladies Trip To The Desert". We have previously stayed at other timeshares off the strip, as well as the Stratosphere, and this year decided to be a little "closer" to the action and hustle of the Las Vegas Strip. But it sits back off the street and has a narrow driveway leading up to it. Even the signage is difficult to see from the strip and is easy to miss. There is a fenced sidewalk for those walking, I guess so you don't walk on the driveway and run the risk of getting run over. There is a shuttle bus, and I do not know if it goes anywhere besides the Aladdin. Every time we asked for a ride, we were told the bus only goes to the Aladdin (which is across the street, and under construction itselft to become a Planet Hollywood).

The Jockey consists of 2 buildings connected by a center passageway. They have a pool, exercise room, hot tub, and even free computers (when checking email is a must). We stayed in the 2nd building farthest from the street, and although on the 8th floor, it was difficult to see the Bellagio water show that others have commented on. Parking is valet only, and the valet post is at the first building - meaning you have to get out and walk up a hill to the 2nd building. Not so great when in heels and your feet are throbing!

Overall, the room was decent. For 5 women, we were each able to carve out a little space for luggage and things. We did venture to a Super Wal-Mart to purchase food for cooking - gotta save money whenever possible. We are not big on staying in a room all day, as we like to hang out, gamble, and shop (not in that order), so overall we were pleased with the overall appearance of the room.

We did read from previous posts that there was construction on one side, so we were sure to ask for a room on the Bellagio side. What we were not informed of is that there is construction going on within the hotel, and they were renovating the room directly above us. Not a problem, except they started working at 7:30 in the morning. This occured twice, and although we complained, nothing was done. I am sure they were not sold out, so why they would give us a room below one that is under construction is beyond me. It literally sounded like the ceiling was going to cave in on top of us - that's how loud they were. We were miserable and pissed - not a good combination for 5 women trying to vacation.

We like the kitchen aspect and are looking to stay at another time share property on the strip for next year that also has a kitchen, but will not be staying at the Jockey again.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank Tweetypie96
Reviewed March 27, 2007

I'll start with my demographics. I'm 25, drive an Audi, and I am self-employed. I live in San Diego.

My stay at Jockey Club was for a bachelor party. The bachelorette party stayed at Signature at MGM, which is what I base my opinion of Jockey Club on.

AREA: To start, Jockey club is about 100 yards off the strip, directly south of Bellagio. The drive way into the place is hard to deal with. 2 cab drivers told us they didn't know if they could get there, and 2 others told us they didn't even know where it was. One driver offered to drop us at Bellagio, which is about a 300 yard walk to Jockey Club.

HOTEL/LOBBY: The lobby is in one tower and our room was in another. Navigating from the lobby to our room was challenging even with a map.

Valet service was decent, and I found nothing wrong with my car after a weekend.

ROOM: The room was acceptably large, had an old fridge, stove, cupboards, etc. There were a few holes in the carpet and some stains, but not too bad. There was an L shaped couch in the living area, which was large enough to sleep 2 if necessary.

The room was completely free of smoke smell which was probably the most appealing part of it. It also had a huge walk-in closet which could come in handy for a longer stay, or for sleeping another 2 people (I'm talking to the college party people).

Our room on the 9th floor was one that looked over the Bellagio fountains, but there are trees blocking most of the show from that vantage point. The fountains actually reached higher than our room at some points, which was pretty cool. Otherwise, the view was nothing special.

BATHROOM: The shower had very little pressure and a slightly grimmy tub. The non-slip strips were coming unglued, but thats not a biggie.

OVERALL
====================

PROS: Big room, big closet, large couch. Nice to have a fridge. Would be good for college party people with large groups (there were even extra blankets and pillows in the closet). Comfy couch for sleeping (not sure if it was pull out).

CONS: Akwardly located and positioned, lobby is miles from some rooms. Small TV. A/C was loud. Not even CLOSE to as nice as Signature at MGM.

CONCLUSION: If you are considering staying at Jockey Club, really, look into Signature at MGM first. We could have stayed at either place for the same price (about $200 a night), but we chose wrong. I will likely stay at Signature every time I visit Vegas...its that nice!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with friends
7  Thank empirenine
Reviewed March 16, 2007

I exchanged my timeshare to stay at the Jockey Club. I was not disapointed in any way. The one bedrooms are huge and clean. The staff is helpful and quick with any request and you can't beat the location. I will stay there again!

Juliana - Miami FL

• Stayed: February 2007
3  Thank KittyJul
Reviewed March 10, 2007

After reading all the caveats, I was nervous about booking the Jockey Club. But the prices or the availability of rooms right in the heart of the strip led me to take the chance. I certainly was glad I did! The company was running a special of $216 for Saturday, Sunday, and Monday nights--TOTAL!!! Now folks, that was going to be the cost of one night at the neighbors, if you could get the days you wanted.

Yes, there is construction going on right next door, and our view looking down was a very interesting major hole the size of my little home town. We were on the sixth floor facing the construction. To our surprise, though, the construction was closed for the weekend. They started up late Sunday evening, but the noise was minimal. I am a light sleeper and it certainly didn't bother me. With a little white noise from the air conditioner, I slept like a baby. And the view? Well, at night laying in the bed, our view was that gorgeous Vegas neon! MGM Grand green, Polo Towers purple, and all the reds and yellows down on the street. It was beautiful!

True, the entrance to the Jockey Club is not all fancied up right now. But the walkway to the entrance from the street is easy to find, fenced off from the drive, clean, and very, very well lit at night. There is a shuttle stop right at the end of the walk.

True, the regular units are not over-large. We had a king-size bed with double doors to close it off from the living room/kitchen, unit 624 in the Ascot tower. The furnishings were all clean and very well-maintained. The carpet was quite clean and not at all worn. The kitchen had everything you expect, and the lovely dining area was set and ready for a meal. We like very much to fix our own coffee and a little breakfast, and to have snacks or light meals in the room instead of having to eat out every time we get a little hungry. This was perfect. Granted, the unit wasn't huge, but it certainly suited our needs. If you had a couple of kids with you, sleeping on the sleeper sofa, I think there would still be enough space that it would be okay--two TV's, games and movies available in the hospitality room, and so on.

A nice service the JC offers is a shuttle from there across the street to the Aladdin taxi station. Instead of calling a taxi when we went to dinner/show, we took the shuttle and got a taxi from there. Same for the airport, only we took an airport shuttle from there instead of a taxi. Now, the Aladdin is just across the street, but believe me, you don't want to be wagging your luggage through 4 or 6 lanes of traffic, :-). We were always able to get the shuttle within a few minutes, and the folks working that area were very helpful. Yes, we could have called a taxi to come to the JC, but it would have taken at least 30 minutes, and it was really easy to take the shuttle across the street.

The mini-mart downstairs was just that--a mini-mart. The prices were higher than you would find in a regular grocery, but come on, what do you expect? If you are staying a week, there is a grocery shuttle. Everything we bought was current, and Lupe at the check-out was a font of information.

The bed was scrumptious! I have stayed in some very high-end places that didn't have a bed half a comfy. And it must be nearly new.

If you have to have a casino within a minute of your room, this is not the place for you. The closest good-ole-boy casino is the Barbary Coast on the corner of the block. Of course the Bellagio is right next door, but it isn't one of those quickie drop a few coins in the slots kind of place. (By the way, the Barbary Coast has $5 craps tables during the daytime.)

Real Plus: Non-smoking building; fantastic pillow-top bed and nice linens; lots of towels; walk-in closet; very helpful and friendly staff; computer/printer access; public areas clean and well-maintained; fast elevators; no casino to schlep your bags through; very private feeling; good central climate control system; responsive house-keeping staff; did I mention NON-SMOKING building; spang dab in the middle of the strip, right next to the Bellagio.

Real Minus: I've got to say it, the bathroom vanity is just too small; no view from the living room, only the bedroom; I can't think of any others.

Would I stay there again--in a heartbeat!

Stayed: March 2007
10  Thank Maihridh
Reviewed February 23, 2007

We just spent a week at the Jockey Club. We knew to ask for the Bellagio side and the higher the floor number the better. We loved the location. We do not travel with a car so weren't bothered by the lack of parking at this moment. Shuttles will come into the Jockey Club but taxis will not. They can drop you off next door at the Bellagio if you request. Due to the amount of construction around the building one has to expect that these things are a nuisance but not the fault of the Jockey Club. I would definately stay there again just for the location and the one bedroom was great.

Stayed: February 2007