“Beware of Jockey Club”

Ranked #40 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
CONNECTICUT
“Beware of Jockey Club”
Reviewed December 3, 2006

They tell you about the construction and you would think it was at their timeshare. No way, it's 360 degrees around the entire building and it goes 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. Also note we had trouble getting taxis to come to the Jockey Club starting with our first trip from the airport. We fled to another hotel after only 3 nites and np sleepo. Beware.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Liked — NICE ROOM
  • Disliked — CONSTRUCTION NOISE
  • Tips/Secrets — AVOID JOCKEY CLUB
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
12 Thank KEMPOSAS

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
  • Czech first
Bridgeport, CT
Reviewed December 1, 2006

If you want a quiet room in Vegas, do not use the Jockey Club. We booked the room and were never told about the construction. When we arrived in Vegas and told the cab driver where we wanted to go, he informed us that we would NEVER get a cab to go to the Jockey Club due to limited access because of construction. He finally took us there. We were given a decent room; however, there is construction going on all around the hotel 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. A sign at the front desk informed us that we could request complimentary earplugs! We tried it, and gave up. We ended up moving to the Tropicana, and were not given a refund. The Jockey Club is set back quite a ways off the strip and if you want a cab, you'll be walking to the Bellagio or the Alladin. Do not ruin your vacation, stay far away from the Jockey Club!

Stayed November 2006
14 Thank mommy41
Flagler Beach, Florida
Reviewed November 16, 2006

We are timeshare owners with Interval International Exchange and we traded our beachfront Florida unit for a week, November 7-14, 2006, at the Las Vegas Jockey Club. We knew to request a one bedroom suite on the Bellagio side and had to wait a few extra hours to move in, but - my-oh-my - we had a view from the 10th floor that was AMAZING!! We could watch the Bellagio fountain shows, and even hear the music, as often as we wanted! We also could see the Eiffel Tower at the Paris Hotel from our comfy king-sized bed each night! The full kitchen was equipped with everything you could possibly want and there was a dining table already set when we arrived!There were two large TV's, 2 DVD players, a nice stereo system, great climate control, a nice bathroom with tub/shower and everything was kept in spotless condition. Maid service was available every day. We were so very comfortable and enjoyed every minute of our week's stay! We could walk to just about everything on the strip (and we did!) We even walked one morning down to the famous 'Welcome to Las Vegas' sign south of the Mandalay Bay Resort. Or we could catch the bus at a stop right at the entrance to the Jockey Club. The staff was very friendly and helpful and we were not bothered by the construction noise from the massive mega-projects - Cosmopolitan and City center - being built to the south and west as we were in the front (Ascot) tower facing north and on the second to highest floor. We loved our oasis from the hustle and bustle on the Vegas strip and would highly recommend a stay at the Jockey Club. In fact, we liked it SO MUCH that we are currently negotiating to purchase a week of timeshare from a private owner. This is DEEDED property right in the heart of the Las Vegas strip on Las Vegas Blvd. Sounds great to us!

• Liked — The amazing view of the Bellagio fountains - the #1 attraction in Las Vegas!
  • Disliked — Enrance area was very narrow and ringed by the massive construction project next door
  • Tips/Secrets — Request a room on the Bellagio side of the building and on floor 4 or above.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
11 Thank lambs2
Tulsa
Reviewed November 14, 2006

My family and I went to the Jockey Club to meet a business associate, and spend a little time in the big city. The Jockey Club is not a Hotel/Casino, but a timeshare that has some rooms available to rent for non-timeshare owners, too. We were not aware at first, but after standing behind another guest at check in, we realized there are about 30 or so units in the Jockey Club that are separately owned and rented by the Tourist Bureau which are not a part of the Jockey Club Timeshare Condos. From what I heard from another guest, these rooms should not be your first choice, and are giving the Jockey Club Timeshare Condos a bad rap. These 30 or so units that aren’t a part of the timeshare condos are not furnished as well as the timeshare condos, are not kept up to date as far as mattresses, are not as clean, and the curtains in these rooms are also ripped. Now, when it comes to the Jockey Club Timeshare Condos they were fabulous, and even though that guest checking in was for the 30 or so units operated by the Tourist Bureau, the Jockey Club Timeshare Condos staff handled that guest with concern and integrity just like one of their guests checking into a timeshare condo.

There is construction going on inside and outside of the Jockey Club, but from what I could tell, there is also construction going on all over Las Vegas. The great thing about this construction is, when it’s finished, I heard from other guests the Jockey Club Timeshare Condos will have a luxury hotel and casino right next door (opposite side of the Bellagio which is on the other side of the Jockey Club) where Jockey Club guests can access this new hotel from the Jockey Club.

The noise from the construction wasn’t too bad. The fact that we had a very roomy condo with a full kitchen, stocked with utensils, pots pans, a living room, DVD player, separate bedroom with a comfortable mattress, a great view of the Strip, made it well worth it. Plus, the room was spotless and the cleaning crew was one of the best in cleaning our room every day. My kids had a great time at the pool, and I looked at the weight/workout room, and think I even lost a pound or two. We were right on the Strip, within walking distance to all the great casinos, and the Fountain Show at the Bellagio right next door was a huge hit. I would imagine if we had a room on that side, we could’ve watched it from the couch. Breakfast across the street at Paris was awesome.

All in all, we would go back in a heartbeat, and enjoyed ourselves very much. The location of this resort is exceptional. If you’re going to stay in Vegas, this is the best of both worlds. You get a condominium right there in the middle of the strip, and can get to your favorite casino with no trouble or time. When the construction is finished, the new Casino and shops, right next door, will be where we spend the day, and the Jockey Club Timeshare Condos, not the 30 Tourist Bureau Condos, will be where we spend the nights.

• Liked — The price and the location
  • Disliked — Valet Parking
  • Tips/Secrets — The Jockey Club Condos are much, much better than a hotel room and just as close.
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
11 Thank pinchydog
Long Island, New York
Reviewed November 13, 2006

After reading all the horror stories about bad units and noise, I was very worried about our week (Nov 5-12) at the Jockey Club. Well, nothing could be more opposite. My wife and I had a great stay. The one bedroom, one bath condo on the 10th floor of the Derby building was excellent. Now I must say that I requested, having read the reviews, the Bellagio side of the Jockey Club, and got it. We could see the fountains every half hour. The unit was clean, modern, equipped with 2 25 inch tv's, 2 dvd players, stereo, and free dvd's (2 a night from their library downstairs). The kitchen was all that was needed and more, since we never used the stove or oven. But the coffee maker, fridge, microwave and toaster were well used. The table was set for two on arrival. The bedroom had a kingsized bed with comfortable mattress, walk in closet, and immaculate bathroom. I read that the elevators were slow, not the case. There was daily maid service, and clean towels each day. The staff were friendly and helpful. Now I must add that while I was checking in there were two ladies who said their 2 bedroom was unacceptable (they were told they were the Expedia rooms), but later on I met them again and they said they were moved to a unit that they were happy with. The construction is ongoing, they were just starting to pour concrete on one part and still digging on another side. I was told by a regular that a month ago it was noisier. But from this point on, it shouldn't be too noisy even on the other side of the buildings. The construction is on the side where the parking used to be. But the valet service was terrific, prompt, friendly and courteous, like being at one of the large Vegas hotels. I've been to Vegas at least 10 times in the last 15 years, and this is the most construction that I can recall. Everyone is expanding. It's amazing how it seems to never stop. But don't get me wrong, it doesn't hinder the action. I would definitely go to the Jockey Club again. It beats staying in a hotel room, and is centrally located, steps away from the Bellagio.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Ron P
Atlanta
Reviewed October 27, 2006

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Jockey Club over the first weekend of October 2006. The first thing to understand is that it isn't really a hotel, but a condominium/timeshare complex that has some rooms available on a rental basis. Also understand that construction is currently an issue, both inside the hotel and directly (within a few feet) on the south side of the hotel.

We booked a king size smoking suite. When we checked in, we were given a south facing suite with twin beds on the 7th floor of the west tower (and apparently non-smoking - more on that later). We called the front desk, who said that the "hotel" rooms were managed by a different company, and referred us to an external phone number. They were helpful in that they had another room on the 8th floor, but unfortunately not on the north side.

It wasn't a traditional king sized bed - it was a round bed, with a tacky light fixture above, and mirrors on the surrounding walls and ceiling. Interesting, to say the least...

During our stay, the construction noise wasn't too bad, but I suspect we were just lucky. I could see how it could be real bad (on the south side).

It was a suite, with a full kitchen, with utensils, coffee maker, dishes, pots, and pans, full size fridge, separate bedroom, and one and half baths - more like an apartment than a hotel room. It was "sort-of" updated, the furniture and carpet were new, but most of the fixtures were out of date. It was spiffed up, but didn't give any sort of feel of luxury. The suite was quite spacious. But clearly, the building is quite old, and it shows in many places.

When we first entered the room, it didn't have ashtrays out, as a typical "smoking" room would, but there were two ashtrays in the kitchen cabinets. I suspect every room is smoking, or non-smoking, depending on the reservation...

For the price, the place was acceptable. The location is unbeatable at that price - kinda like a cheap extension to the Bellagio. Maid service appeared limited to fresh towels (which, frankly, was fine with us).

Parking is quite limited, and therefore, valet only. Even then, the lot can fill up, and if returning in the wee hours, you might get redirected to park in the lot behind the Aladdin, a few blocks away, as happened to us one evening (ok, so it was early morning!).

It does have a pool, overlooking the construction. Most of the guests appeared to be retirees. We didn't spend any time at the pool.

To summarize, the only upsides are: the amount of space, full kitchen, location, and price. The downsides are: potential for construction noise, hit or miss interiors, limited parking, and lack of typical hotel services (restaurant, bar, room service, etc.), and the general run-down condition of the building (though updating is currently taking place).

• Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
10 Thank GACowboy
CA
Reviewed October 19, 2006

My wife and I stayed at the hotel for a week through time share exchange. We also had our 1 year old boy and had relatives stay over for a few days. First two days, our two-bedroom suite (5 th or 6th) was facing the construction. I am used to sleeping in the moving car and other noises but this experience confirmed that I am not immune to noise. I could not go to sleep the entire night. My pregnant wife and our one year old were worst off. On the second day, I told the front desk of the noise/sleep situation, and on third day got another two-bedroom facing Bellagio closer to the Strip. After the room change, everything was great, I did not hear any construction noise. All the inconvenice with valet and construction road was small issues compared to being close to Bellagio and other experiences. Very often I took my boy to Bellagio to play with water fountains in minature garden section (do not remember the name). When our relatives showed up to stay for a few days, they thought the place was quiet and very convenient.

Stay on Bellagio side!!!!

Stayed June 2006