“An Honest Review from Long Time Las Vegas Travelers”

Flamingo Las Vegas Hotel & Casino
Ranked #119 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Saint John, Indiana
“An Honest Review from Long Time Las Vegas Travelers”
Reviewed August 18, 2010

We have been traveling to Las Vegas since the early 80's and have seen Vegas change over the years from the edgy mobster city, to family mecca, to non accountable "what happens stays here" adult playground, and now to what seems to be the "20-30 age group night club burlesquey club party scene" crowd. In all honesty, I liked it best somewhere back in the early stages when the Mirage was shiny and new, and the Stardust still stood, but still have managed to travel there for the last six or seven years in a row, staying in many hotels, and most recently back to one of the older girls on the block...the Flamingo.

I have a history with this hotel, spend my honeymoon about 25 years ago, and stayed there quite a few times over the years. Back in the glory days, the hotel was top notch, one of the major players (this was long before Wynn, Encore, Bellagio, Venetian, Mirage, etc.) and the only equal was Ceasars. Well....that isn't the Flamingo of today, but don't let that scare you away. Now for the real review for the real traveler.

We had a room that was comped for 5 of the 6 days we were there (just a note..six days is two days too long in Las Vegas) so I must take that into consideration. On check in, which was a Saturday night after ten, we walked right up to the desk, so the previous reviews about long lines didn't come into play. I did see upon leaving a line for check in during the morning hours but it appeared to be moving very quickly.

We were upgraded to a GO room from a deluxe room, our front desk clerk was more than accomadating and gracious, and while our room didn't have a strip view (it overlooked the wildlife habitat) and was on the 21st floor, it was more than adequate. The room, in fact, was kind of "cool" in a retro sort of way, with the large white vinyl padded headboards, the most comfortable mattress I have EVER slept it, and the pink lighting with the television in the bathroom mirror. Since I don't know exactly what these rooms fo for price wise, I don't know if they are worth the upgrade price or full room rate, but I actually can say nothing negative about the room. It looked clean, well maintained, the bathroom vent could of used a scrubbing, but other than that, I saw no issues. As far as the maid service, it was late in the day, sometimes that was inconvenient as we hoped it would be clean when we came back after lunch, but it wasn't always the case. There was always plenty of towels left, I called and asked for more once and they were sent quickly. The carpet looked reasonably clean, no nicks in the walls, and no foul odors. Overall, it was a nice room, not the Wynn or the Bellagio, but be realistic of the costs fellow travelers who are reading this... you are not paying those kind of prices.

In regards to location, if you want the Vegas experience, you are in the heart of the action. Having said that, it was a bit wearing for us after the forth day or so. Let me explain. Flamingo is on a hot corner, you have a lot of action, one of the few hotels still left you can literally walk into the door from the street without an escalator, moving sidewalk, or long walk into the place that requires packing a lunch. If you like casino hopping to gamble or people watch (which we do) it is a pefect spot with Bill's Gambling Hall a few steps away, O'Sheas (an acquired taste in casinos) only a door down, Imperial Palace (very retro and still over the top Vegas) close, and all are right on the street. A bit farther on your side of the street is Harrah's and Casino Royale (I don't know how this one has survived but do find myself always stopping in to spend a few bucks) and those are all without crossing the street and a reasonable walk from the hotel.

As far as food, here are my recommendations after a lot of research, and actual meals eaten. The buffet is average, not bad, not great, but I would HIGHLY recommed this deal. Look for some tickets online for the Nathan Burton Show at the Flamingo that has a buffet and ticket to the show (at 4:00 pm) for 29.95. That makes the buffet just about free compared to ticket price but the show is GREAT!!! I can't say that enough, and would recommend it to anyone. I saw a video about him on youtube.com from his appearance on "America has Talent" and he was really good. I planned to go on our son's 18th birthday, he was less than enthusiastic (really Mom...a magic show?) but I am so glad we went. I have not laughed that hard in years, my son, who lauged just as hard as I did, had a wonderful time. This guy is good! I won't give too much away, but it is an all age show that really is amazing. With Lance Burton retiring next month, I see great things for this guy. Check it out for great hour of laughs and a pretty good dinner for thirty bucks!

We didn't go to the Burger Joint, I saw long lines there for the 2.00 hamburger an fries special in the middle of the night and tables full of over-served young partiers, but how bad can it be I guess for two bucks? The whole pizzas ordered at the counter by the Burger Joint (I think it is part of the same restaurant) were actually very good and about 12 bucks for a whole pizza. We took them up to the room a few times and they were well worth the money. We had breakfast at Margaritaville, a bit of a tourist trap I think, but always very crowded. You eat outside on the third floor overlooking the strip, which is kinda cool, and I noted a sign, one the way OUT of the retaurant, you can get 20% your bill with your Harrah's player card, so check that our if you go. It wasn't great, but not bad, and about average in price at 12.00 bucks for breakfast.

If you have the energy to walk (or take a bus or cab) you have to check out the very retro and historic Peppermill Restaurant down by the Riveria. I know, it isn't in the best of scenic areas, but let me tell you....this place is just pure Vegas. The omlettes, well let me say one would feed three people easily and talk about good. Mine had some mix of sun tomatoes, spinach, fresh garlic, cheese, and tomato hollandasie sauce, with a bagel and cream cheese and was about twelve bucks. My family had "skillets" that could have been a meal for four. It has neon lights inside, these hugh curved booths in blue and purple, the cutest waitresses with old time uniforms, and you can just imagine Elvis sitting in the corner if you close your eyes. You have got to check his place out!

We didn't eat in the cafe/coffee shop at the Flamingo, it always had a crowd waiting in line, so I guess it was all right. We had breakfast at least three times at Bill's next door for the "graveyard steak and eggs" which was 4.99 and really wasn't bad. It was not a filet, but for five bucks, it wasn't bad at all. The coffee is where they get you, it is almost as much as the breakfast, so if you are an early (or late) festive type grab a .99 cent Strawberry Margarita from the bar on your way in for your drink with breakfast.

A real find is to go to the Palm Restaurant across the street at Ceasars for the happy hour (look it up online) and get the half price appetizers for 3.50 each from about 4:30 to 5:30. This is in the Forum Shops and is a five star expensive steakhouse, and for about fifty bucks we ate like kings ordering about twelve different plates appetizers, everything from top shelf crab cakes to kobe steak mini sandwiches, oysters for a buck, and the biggest shrimp I have every seen! What a well kept secret this place is! We could have never afforded to eat like we did as the prices are very high, check this one out!

We also like the Grand Lux Cafe at the Venetian, the glazed grilled cedar plank salmon for about twenty two dollars is more than anyone should eat, and if you sit in the "patio" which is indoors, you get a great view of the traffic around the Venetian convention crowd and casino. Great for people watching. We also love the Oyster Bar (Big Al's) at the Orleans which is off strip, but the shuttle is right outside the door at Bill's next door to the Flamingo. Earl of Sandwich at the Planet Hollywood was a great lunch choice, a big step up from a Subway, and very good!

The pool, which is one of the main reasons people stay at the Flamingo, is nice but very very overcrowded, tight with security, and hard to spend any time there if you want some family time without being in line at dawn. My son was more than willing to hang there all day, but overall, it is a bit crowded, and not the most relaxing setting. It depends what you are looking for in your poolside experience.

Would I stay there again? Sure. What I might do is split my trip and actually not spend my entire time there, maybe a few days at an off-strip property like the Orleans or Rio for the back half of the trip as one can only have so many "strip" days. It is kind of like the Disney World mindset, a few days is good, a few more days can be brutal. I like the history of the Flamingo. Yes, it needs an overhaul, and I do know for a fact is has some new leadership in the general manager Rick Mazur coming into town. Knowing what he did for the Chicagoland Horseshoe Property (which I live by) I suspect he will whip this place into top shape in no time.

Sure, there were some nasty capet stains in the halls, some empty beer bottles and room service trays, half filled beer glasses and cigarette butts in the elevators but frankly, some of that is just people being pigs. Disrespectful pigs. I saw elevator doors with footprints, and know someone kicked one of the glass doors when we were there b because I heard it happen. Again....nothing but disrespect and unacceptable behaviors that no hotel an control. The time share people by the elevator get a bit annoying, the drinks are overpriced at the pool, and the slot machines are not ATM's and take your money willingly. But that's Las Vegas. They don't build these palaces on winners, they build them from losers, and lots of them.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel to anyone. If you are expecting five star service with Wal-Mart prices, you wont' find it here, or anywhere, because it doesn't exist. I would go back again without hesitation.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
10 Thank Flickerwick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7,551)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Cleveland, OH
Reviewed August 17, 2010

We have stayed at the Flamingo for many years. Our check-in was painless, the staff was all pleasant. The room was good, except for the view (IP pool and parking lot) and the beds were unbelievably comfortable. While I was very disappointed with the selection of slots (many favorites were gone) and the tightness of them, we'll be back next year. The last day of our stay, the computers were all down so there was a lot of confusion with incoming guests, it was a "cash only" basis everywhere and getting our player rewards was disappointing. The Flamingo is still a great hotel with a great location!

2 Thank cmmachesky
vancouver
Reviewed August 17, 2010

We stayed at the flamingo hotel this summer. It was wonderfully located. Our room was just a basic room. It was clean and quiet. The staff was friendly. It is an older hotel, not as fancy as some of the others, but it not that expensive. The pools were nice (busy) and it had lots of ammenities.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 16, 2010

Where do I start?? First off I had to call 6 times to try to book the room since I was using a friends "friends and family discount" they were sooo rude everytime! When we finally checked in, we decided to "upgrade" to one of the GO rooms which are supposed to be premium rooms! Well when we got our room it was so filthy! Trash on the floor, hadn't been vacumed, empty coffee packages in the ice container AND smudges and finger prints all over the window! So when I went down to tell a manager he seemed annoyed and acted like "we were an inconvenience to him". He switched us to a different room but still some of the ammenities that were in the other room weren't in this room....My friends weren't even able to check into their room until 6PM!! due to their room being "broken". We decided to just have a good time anyways and let it be.......I was still prepared to tip the maids for cleaning our room except they didn't come!!!!! My friends arrived at their room to find it not cleaned...not even fresh towels and my boyfriend and my room was exactly the same! They attempted to come in the early afternoon as we were getting ready to leave for the day on the strip and they even saw us leave but still nothing, I guess you get one attempt at having a clean room?? All in all it was awful!! I think I had two friendly people that worked there the entire time, everyone else just seemed annoyed to be working there. I will never stay there again!

1 Thank offtotraveltheworld

Travelers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

Minneapolis-MN
Reviewed August 16, 2010

I was very pleased with the Flamingo. It was very reasonable for hotel prices on the strip and it was nicely centrally located so we could get to places very easily. We ate at the pizza place for lunch one day and that was good, the slices are pretty huge. We also ate at Margaritaville for breakfast one morning, and they have some great omelets there!! The pool at the Flamingo was pertty nice too, it was nice and big. The only bad thing about the adult only pool (there is no topless pool anymore) is that guys have to pay $15 to get into it, so unless you really don't want to be around any kids at the pool save your money.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank MNTwinsGuy
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed August 15, 2010

First let me say that I'm not a chronic complainer. I've always said that as long as the hotel is clean, I can stay just about anywhere but this stay at the Flamingo (my 4th) was disgusting. Firstly I booked my room six months ago in anticipation of my daughter's wedding. When we arrived, the non smoking room I requested was apparently not available BUT if I paid an extra fee, they could upgrade me and there would be a smoke free room available. I agreed to stay in the smoking room for one night and they agreed to move me to a non smoking room in the morning. So we headed to the assigned room only to find a threadbare carpet, unmade beds and cigarette burns in the sheets. The maid was cleaning the room as we opened the door. I immediately went to the desk again to complain about the situation and the person there excused themselves and returned about 5 minutes later telling me that they were going to put me in a no smoking room on the 23rd floor overlooking the strip. This seemed OK to me in spite of the fact that they originally wanted to suck me into paying more for what I had already booked and paid for six months ago so we checked into the new room. I noticed a pile of garbage in the corner by the elevator the day we checked in and six days later when we checked out, the same garbage was still there. The first nights sleep was acceptable but the second night at about midnight the music from Pure in Caesars palace across the street started and was so loud that the bass shook my room (on the 23rd floor mind you) until 4 am. This happened every night we were there and when I called the desk, they told me that there was nothing they could do about it. I suggested that since Caesars and the Flamingo are owned by the same company, perhaps it might be something to discuss at some time in the boardroom.....the person on the phone told me that it wasn't likely, "after all they make a lot of dough over there and no ones' going to turn down the music while they're making money" He told me that he had hundreds of complaints every night about the noise and I asked him if that might be an indication that something should be done about it. He told me that nothing could be done but maybe next time I should book a room over the pool. Now I realize that it's Vegas and people want to party but shouldn't you be able to get some sleep in your room after let's say 2am? I have to say that the staff was unfriendly (with the exception of housekeeping, they were and always are friendly) and not welcoming or helpful in any way. I wonder how long people will take being treated by Vegas hotels this way before they stop coming and paying for substandard and indifferent service. I have stayed in lots of properties in Vegas and to be fair have to say that the Flamingo doesn't hold the exclusive license for shoddy service. I had the same terrible service at Excalibur in April. My daughter stayed in Encore and if I owned one of the Harrah's properties, I'd see if Steve Wynn could give me a few tips on how to run a hotel. I can't help but think that customer service are two words seldom used together in this corporation's board room. If anyone from Harrah's entertainment would like a hand, I'd be pleased to help them improve their operations with some ideas that don't cost a lot of money. No matter how stupid people are, they eventually get tired of being screwed and will stay away from those that treat them like dispensable cattle. When did it become acceptable that your request for no smoking or the type of bed you want can't be guaranteed? When did we start accepting that statement without questioning it? Stand up folks and vote with your feet. Don't stay here.....pay a few extra dollars and stay somewhere else. You won't be sorry and it'll start to send a message to greedy corporations that we aren't going to take it any more. And for God's sake, can't you turn down the music a bit at the pool? And if you think I'm some old guy who hates music, I'm a working rock musician so loud music doesn't usually bother me.....but it would be nice to have at least a bit of quiet when relaxing by the pool don't you think?

2 Thank beatletribute
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 14, 2010

My wife and I have been to Vegas the last three years and this stay was the best. We checked in at 2:00PM on a sunday and got upgraded to a Go room for $20 extra a day on the 18Th floor with a view of the Bellagio Fountains. The room was ready by 4:00PM and was clean and well equipped with a small refrigerator, safe and a coffee maker. You really can't beat the location. Breakfast buffet was reasonable and we had a nice view of the koi pond from our table. It's not the Bellagio but my wife and I are not Bellagio type people. We gambled and lost but did have fun doing it at the Flamingo. On a side note...go around the corner on Flamingo Ave to the Stage Door and get a 1/4 pound hotdog and a Miller Lite for $2.50. It's a dive bar but great for a quick snack and a beer 24 hours a day.

1 Thank JimMcD