“Pleasantly Surprised”

Flamingo Las Vegas Hotel & Casino
Ranked #121 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 4, 2010

The Flamingo Hotel and Casino was a GREAT hotel for a short stay in Vegas. I went for my birthday with a friend, and chose the Flamingo because of the free stays (we are Gold TR Members and they send us freebies all the time). We upgraded to a GO Room, well worth it. The staff were friendly, the room was clean (which INCLUDED A COFFEE MAKER!), the room service was decent, but the casino was the best part. It was full of people having fun and compared to many of the higher end hotels in Vegas at the present time, the Flamingo Casino was miles above in atmosphere. The pool area is smaller than some other Vegas hotels but it was still nice, they have waterfalls and waterslides, a pool bar and snack shack. I would definitely recommend this hotel for couples or groups looking for a great stay! Have stayed previously at Mirage, Bally's, Rio.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank lakureyri

Reviewed June 4, 2010

After we'd booked the Flamingo I read review after review on this site and felt a little worried. However, everything was counter to every bad review on here. Check in took about 1/2 and hour but our room wasn't ready. My husband and I were traveling with 2 of my sisters and their husbands - their Go rooms were ready ASAP so we put our stuff in there and walked around for a bit. When we returned to get our room a couple of hours later it still wasn't ready so we asked to have a different one and were accommodated right away.

All of our rooms were spotless and fun. The beds were very comfortable. Our maids cleaned our rooms every morning without fail. No complaints, there. My husband and I requested an extra pillow and two arrived at our door 5 minutes after he called down.

The Go pool was nice but our husbands weren't happy to have to pay $15 to get in (women are free). We spent one day there and the rest at the regular pool... no lines and no one hassled us. They did check our purses but only a quick spot check - never looked under our heaps of magazines or books ;)

Wild Bill's Gambling Hall - next to the Flamingo - was a lot of fun... mixed crowd who just wanted to have a good time and win some money - slots paid out nicely, too!

Only complaint: the Flamingo slots don't pay out like a lot of the other ones on the strip, the casino bathrooms weren't very clean and the buffet was only average... especially for breakfast. But we did have the 24 hour buffet pass for 7 hotels and that was good enough for us... trying new buffets around the strip.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Sony72
Reviewed June 4, 2010

Beware of a 30 minute queue for check-in! However, once you get past that, the hotel is excellent. Situated right in the middle of the strip with really big rooms. We had a standard king room with was great and overlooked the central pool/grassy area. The only downside was there are no coffee / tea making facilities in the rooms and room service has a 40 minute wait.

Reviewed June 4, 2010

There are two parts to the Flamingo hotel; the old and the new. I stayed in the old part and I fully expected it to be outdated, but there is a big difference between old and nasty. This hotel could use a good scrub down. There were mystery stains on the bed and in front of the toliet. One of the bed side lamps was broken and there were no drinking glasses in the room. When I called to get glasses I had to wait 45 minutes for them to be brought up. I had to call to get someone to start the shower because it was stuck in the off postion and wouldn't budge. That wait too was 45 minutes. I had always wanted to stay in this hotel specifically and was thrilled when I got such a good rate on the room but sadly was let down by the interior. The location is awesome though and if that's more important to you than cleanliness then I say go for it!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed June 4, 2010

I stayed at the Flamingo from 5/31/10-6/3/10 and had a wonderful time. We arrived Monday morning around 10:30am. There were probably 8-10 people in line ahead of us but the line moved quickly. The girl at the reception desk was friendly and accomodating. I requested room #10085 since I had stayed in that room before and was pleased with it's condition and location. I was told the room would be available later that day and we could leave our bags with the bellman. We did so and returned around 3:30 and the room was ready. A phone call to the bellman and a few minutes later our bags were brought up. The casino was always busy. We went to the pool area everyday late in the afternoon to soak our feet in the hot tub and have a frozen drink in the shade. By that time of the day the crowds had thinned out some, so finding a lounge chair wasn't a problem. The pool area was beautiful and well maintained. Didn't eat in any of the Flamingo's restaurants this trip, so I can't comment on that. Any encounter with staff was pleasant. Checkout was no problem and we took a shuttle to the airport for $6.50 each, which seemed reasonable. My only complaint is the annoying Wyndham people in the lobby trying to sell show tickets. I really don't understand why people trash this hotel. For the money and location you can't beat it. If you're looking for upscale luxury this place isn't for you, although it's still very nice.

Reviewed June 3, 2010

For an older hotel, this is probably the best value on the strip. We stayed in a newly remodeled Go Room - 25th floor. The rooms are comparitively huge and well-appointed with coffee maker, fridge, Big screen TV, DVD plaver with surround stereo, connection for MP3 player, TV in bathroom mirror, HUGE steam shower with back massager, electric drapes, AC controls that WORK (not a given in Vegas), STELLAR cleaning service, friendly staff, pole dancers at the table games (okay, that's everywhere) huge swimming pool (although it was too crowded) nice grounds which were worth seeing, and decent choices of restaurants.

The view was very good but not spectacular, overlooking Caesar's and a (limited) view of the Bellagio fountains. I believe we got the higher room thanks to the "tip sandwich". Put a twenty into your reservation papers at check in - IT HELPS!!! If your room is on, say the tenth floor - I think the noise from the bands, street, crowds, etc... would be bad, very very bad. Even up high it's noisy but not unbearable. So if you're in the Go Tower STAY UP HIGH!

Amenities were perfect; I've been to Vegas many times and stayed at several different hotel/casinos and this is the FIRST that had mini fridge AND coffemaker. (Although their coffee is, well, .... crappy.) But, since the room has cups, sugar, etc.... bring some Starbuck's VIA packets to add and it's awesome.

Plasma TV was great, but are you there to watch television? Absolutely not. But when you need some rest, you can catch up on local news or pop in a DVD. Enjoying your trip to Vegas is all about pacing yourself whether you're gambling, drinking, golfing or sightseeing - it can all be exhausting. If you're doing it right, anyway.

In my opinion the only downsides to the room were; 1. Glass wall and sliding glass door to the bathroom. They are opaque so you can't see through them but I like pure privacy in the can. 2. That ugly vinyl headboard. (but you can't see it when you're sleeping so.....) 3. The pool was too crowded to use but they ALL are.

Honestly, the casino is not my favorite - but I think that depends on luck and we had decent luck at Bill's, Harrah's Bally's and Paris. The setup at Flamingo just seemed too fragmented for me but try them yourself. However, the drinks at Paris are definitely bigger, better and more readily available than anywhere else we went. (Yes, larger glasses = larger drinks.) and the pole dancers were more attractive at Bally's.

But back to the Flamingo; Room was cleaned perfectly every day, fresh towels and soaps (yes - a few dollar tip probably helped). Valet parking was lightning fast in or out. The shuttle to Rio was .... well too slow and definitely not worth the effort. Front desk answered and made wakeup call and everyone was completely helpful.

And, here are a couple of my personal recommendations;

1. DO rent a car. That Deuce thing is bogus. Your trip is probably only a few days - don't spend hours of riding a stinking bus stopping at every corner and way stop on the Strip! Your time is too valuable. If you plan ahead you can rent a car for less than you'll spend on bus fare, taxi, monorail.. and every casino has valet parking.

2. Do not miss the Encore Casino. It's beautiful and worth the trip. It is the nicest casino on the strip for daytime gambling anyway. Simply phenomenal.

3. Check out Karaoke night at Bill's Gampling Hall. Too damn funny for words. And a few regulars who were great.

4. Get the steak special - not on the menu - at Ellis Island. A seriously fantastic meal too cheap to believe.

5. Don't bother with the buffet at the Harrah's properties unless it's included. We went to four different ones and the food is ... abundant, but it's definitely not great.

6. Plan to come back and do the rest of the stuff you didn't get around to - we're already planning for December.

1  Thank GWV1
Reviewed June 3, 2010

We arrived May 20th at the Hotel around 7:00pm and check in was very busy,but it didn;t matter as long as we a cold one in are hand and buy the time we got the desk and asked for the manager for a upgrade to the 2 bedroom suite,it was well worth it.The room was 27094 and it was facing the strip,directly infront of Ceaser's with the Mirage to the right and the Bellagio water show to the left.,we had a great view.
We have been going to Vegas for about 12 years now and usually 3 times a year and this is the fist time in 3 years that we decided to go back to the Flamingo after staying at the Luxor,Ceaser's,Imperial Palace,New York New York.
The Hotel had a great atmosphere in the evening,there were people all around relaxed and having a good time and we met so many people from different parts of the world,it was alot of fun.The pool was very busy, so get down there early to get your spot,the Flamingo pool is one of the better pools in Vegas,trust me you won't be dissapointed.
Great location,great staff and we are going back to the Flamingo at the end of September for sure and remember this....it is what you make out of it,to make it a holiday to remember.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends