“Great hotel atmosphere” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Florissant, Missouri, USA
“Great hotel atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

We enjoyed our stay here. The outdoor wildlife habitat (flamingos and waterfalls) were the best outdoor area of any hotel in Vegas we visited on this trip. Everything else (casino, room, check-in, parking, prices) was pretty much standard for Las Vegas. Had a nice breakfast at the buffet (see review). Two pools, one for adults and one for families. There is an awesome multi-level slide that ends in the adult pool, but the exit has been altered so that kids can use it. (They get in line before the pool opens. It's that cool.) Nice place to stay and in the middle of the Strip.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6,845)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

I have been on a quest to stay at as many of the OLD ‘Rat Pack’ era properties as I can before they close.

If they were all as well run and updated as the Flamingo they would all still be open.

This is a “resort fee” property so be ready for that unpleasant surprise.

Oh, & thanks in advance for clicking ‘Helpful” btw.
Feel free to send me Vegas questions, I go multiple times a yr & don’t mind inquires at all.

This review uses CAPS so you can easily scan it for what is important to YOU.

If visiting Vegas for the 1rst time search other reviews by me for Vdara Hotel reviews & read: “How To Have a GREAT Las Vegas Vacation”.

- - FRONT DESK - -
Long line. I was at the front desk early in the AM and the line was already pretty long but soon a couple of managers were seen back there & 2 more clerks showed up & things moved along more quickly. Response by hotel mgmt appreciated. Also a man was combing the line with a tablet computer checking out people who could e-check out.

Get a beverage, the smart people were socializing sipping cocktails or cold beer.

My Front Desk Clerk was quick, professional, and exceeded expectations. Now, I tipped her nicely, which I recommend, but I’m sure, having met her, she does great for everyone.

Thank God for friendly people cuz it’s an hour you won’t get back!

- - LOCATION - -
Prime Prime spot on the strip, only the fish in the Belagio Fountains have a better VIEW of the Belagio Fountains.

The construction on the nearby Ling and giant Ferris Wheel are much less disruptive now, the developer is spending more $ on one of his sports interests I heard from a local and can’t afford to work on both at once.

The VIEW non-strip side is of the desert mountains and their tropical garden & pool areas, also nice. No noise issues (stayed on a very high floor).

if DRIVING much less traffic using back Koval Ln entrance.

if WALKING a lot, may be Best Vegas location, it is at the actual epicenter of Strip action. Walk to anything you might need, fun double decker bus, monorail or cab to everything else.

- - ROOMS - -
“Go” Room by far worth the slight increased cost if you can swing it DO IT. They are new and fresh. Water pressure, bed comfort, a/c, linens, amenities good.

The DÉCOR, lots of pink (as one might expect, Pink Flamingos?!) Tastefully done and much less frilly than at the Paris for example.

PET friendly rooms available and walking your pet will be pleasant for you and non-intrusive for other guests.

CONDITION, for a place that has been around since the 50’s it’s rooms really are ok. Classic lay-outs but other than that, signs of age not too obvious but it’s also clearly not new.

For standard FEATURES they have a lot,
a DVD/CD iPOD dock stereo system that Rocks! It is also connected to the TV. The TV in bathroom is pretty slick.
In-room coffee maker so so nice and rare in Vegas market. Yay!
Unique and impressive items here for a low/mid-priced hotel.

The room had wi/fi but I did not have time to use it.

HOUSEKEEPING is good at their jobs, polite, reasonably responsive & helpful too.

- - POOL - -
The coolest looking pool with the multi-level waterslide was closed. Not sure why, it did not look like a repair issue so maybe it’s open again. The main pool summer-crowded as expected and it has rules you have to follow but plenty of fun.

- - CASINO/FACILITIES - -
Lay-out is that of one add-on after another but all the casinos hope you get lost, this is no different they just did not accomplish it with a master plan.

CASINO really pleasant for its age not too smoky, nice dealers, low limits, all the latest slots.

The separate “Margaritaville” casino and bar is particularly fun, even if you wind up staying somewhere else be sure to visit it.

The FOOD options are all here. Fine steaks to midnight pizza. If you did not want to leave the grounds you would not have to. The “food court” was one of the best I’ve seen, usually clean good quick and friendly staff & never saw it closed.

I did not try the room service or the BUFFET but this property is partnered with one of the “do all the buffets” promotions and is the Only program that includes the new Caesars Palace Buffet which is over the top unbelievable!!! It costs extra to have included in the buffet package I think but would be well worth it.

For truly FINE DINING there are so many Icons-of-Food within a short walk to more expensive resorts it is hard to justify high end dining here, but there is also nothing wrong here either, try it.

Good & inexpensive SHOPPING options on site. One of the best Hotel Branded souvenir shops I’ve ever seen.
I guess if you’ve been thinking up Flamingo ideas for 50 years you get good at it.
I wish I could have bought the throw from the bed tho, it was really nice.

There is also an adult items store. The only one in the central Strip I’ve ever noticed kinda wish I’d have known about this before, good discovery.

The Fashion Show Mall and Caesars Palace Mall are within walking distance to really get your retail-therapy.

many DRUG STORE items at the hotel drug store which was never closed any time I passed it. Wallgreens Super-Store is within walking distance down at the Venetian.

- - IN GENERAL --
I’d say Flamingo is a well rehearsed classic act capable of affordably accommodating a wide range of guests from granny with her dog to the 21rst birthday guest to the company meeting.

Room Tip: Do not let cab take you thru Tunnel to get to Strip. Rip-Off alert!
Green Features: The Flamingo takes the tropical wildlife preserve they run Very Very seriously, even the Sierra Club could not do better!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
14 Thank FlemBrimstone
Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

45 + minute check-in.
Safe didn't work, waited on locksmith.30 min.
TV worked sometimes?
Broken tile in bathtub.
Food on the floor, we didn't bring or eat.
People knocking on doors, 1-3 am
People passed out drunk in the hall way.
Underage kids drinking.
Pool dirty.
Dirty linens.
clock un-plugged.
30 min. wait on car from valet.
Slow elevators, everyday.
Two false smoke alarms????
I was embarrassed and ashamed to be there!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank Jax S
TotalServiceTeam, Manager at Flamingo Las Vegas Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
theshig, thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us. We are disappointed we have missed the mark with our Service Standards during your stay. We are truly sorry for the inconvenience. Please contact us directly at your earliest convenience to resolve this matter.

Travelers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

I've been going to Vegas for over 20 years. During that time, I've stayed at a Freemont Street hotel and many on The Strip. Usually I stay at the Flamingo because it's the best for the price. Not cheap but not expensive either. Super location on the main part of The Strip Always ask for The Go Room for just the little extras it provides--like mood lighting in the walk-in shower! When I was there in January, there was much renovation going on, but it caused no problems.

Room Tip: Opt for a Go Room
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Buffalo, NY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

I wanted a room overlooking the fountains at the Bellagio but one of my friends was on a budget so we stayed at the Flamingo. This was definitely a mistake. I can overlook the tourist trap add-on expenses such as the fee to check in early and the ridiculous in room internet costs. I'm even okay with the dated decor. The problem with the Flamingo is noise. I suppose if you have absolutely no intentions of sleeping on your trip this hotels would be fine. For those who need a few hours of rest each night, you will be listening to slamming doors, people talking in the hallways all night, and disgruntled housekeeping during the day. The room fans, which would theoretically drown out the noise, were so loud I thought I had a helicopter in my room. Though the wait to check in was long, I will say the front desk was very pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank travelsmart568
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

Stayed here with my boyfriend over the weekend. We got a GREAT deal through his co-worker who stays here every couple of months, and probably since it was a Sunday-Tuesday and was during "off days". I'm not sure what the regular rate is, but I thought it was a great place to stay for the money!

Last time I stayed here was around 1996 with my parents. I don't recall what the rooms were like, but obviously they've updated them since then. We had a view of the courtyard/pool, but our room was almost at the end of the farthest hall, a little far from the elevators. A pretty inconvenient spot to be. Not a fan of the $25 early check in fee. Pretty much my only complaint. But it was nice checking in early and having our stuff in our room instead of sitting in baggage claim where it was a pain to get to if we needed something.

Nice, big windows looking out with great curtains. I felt like the room was pretty clean. Comfy beds, good pillows and nice decor. Probably not as nice as some of the other hotels on the Strip, like The Aria, but for the money this place was clean and I felt comfortable staying there.

The pool was a fun way to cool off since it was 115+ while I was there. We went to the 21+ pool, and it was busy but not overly crowded. The concrete around the pool is pretty slippery and I watched a few people fall. Most were funny and pretty harmless but one just looked like the girl could have gotten seriously hurt. I suggest you watch your step and wear flip flops to keep your feet off the HOT pavement. I question the cleanliness of the pool. But, when you have that many intoxicated people in a body of water, I don't expect it to be too clean. I kept my face out of the water. I hope they use lots of chemicals.

Bottom line, I'd stay here again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

To whom it may concern,

I spent the weekend of June 21st - 23rd at your Flamingo Hotel. My friend chose this location for not only her birthday celebration for the weekend, but also a dear friend of ours from high school decided to have her bachelorette party there. My parents even had their nuptials in your chapel years back, so I was looking forward to a wonderful weekend.

I was sorely mistaken.

Your hotel is one of the worst I have EVER stayed in. I have traveled throughout Europe and the United States. I can confidently say that your hotel is an embarrassment. Firstly, our rooms were not reserved as they were supposed to be. Now I understand the hotel has a policy where room requests are just that, requested but not guaranteed. However, when my friend called to confirm this TWICE, she should have been informed of such a policy. Upon dealing with this disaster I could visibly see that my friend (of a group of six of us) was being talked to quite harshly by the man at the front desk whose name I have learned is Charles Richard. I approached her and the man and asked him to kindly stop speaking so rudely to my friend. He turned to me and said, "Who are you? You don't know anything. You just approached this situation." So I, taken aback, replied, "I am her friend and have been witnessing the whole scene from not too far away, please do not speak to her in such a manner." I also explained that with proper hospitality we were owed simply an apology for our inconveniences and to be treated with respect. He responded with, "I'm the Manager; I can respond however I like." I have witnesses to prove that is no exaggeration either.

So we decided to simply get our keys and go to whatever rooms were ready. We were informed we would have to wait for another room to become available (with two beds as we requested) because NOTHING else was available at the moment. So, we went to our only room available which REEKED of smoke and had feces all over the toilet and bathroom. (We have pictures to prove this if you need, but I thought it inappropriate to attach to this email) So we went downstairs to yet again complain. Suddenly they had an extra room which we were moved to. (But we still had to wait for a second one) We were told out room would be available in 2 + hours. It was 6PM now and we had dinner reservations. Six of us had to get ready in one bathroom in 45 minutes.

When we finally arrive around eleven back at the hotel to pick up the keys to the second room they told us they gave our room away. We started to explain the situation to the man Jamison behind the front desk and his demeanor quickly went to defensive as he explained that it's the hotels fault not his. We tried to explain that we understood he didn't personally do this to us, but that he represents the company. He told us we should have arrived earlier and it was our fault the room was given away.

Now we were mad. Where did your employees go to hospitality training? Never, ever, have I been so insulted by a MANAGER and then by another employee. Your hospitality is deplorable and embarrassing. You should be ashamed. Not until Stacey Mullen heard our desperate state that we’d be room-less, in Vegas, in the middle of the night, that someone helped us solve the issue. She was truly a blessing in this horrible scenario.

The true devastation is your company really wound up hurt yourselves. I happen to work in the entertainment industry here in Los Angeles. Also, my best friend books bands accommodations and venues for a living. As of last night, I made a special phone call to personally request that none of their clients are put up at the Flamingo. I plan to continue to dissuade any of my friends or clients from staying at any of your hotel locations in Vegas. My stay was a giant disgusting disappointment. I have never been so angry at a business in my life.

You ruined a reunion of 6 friends who haven’t seen each other in years, a birthday, and a bachelorette party. And we spent a total of 5 hours in the room.

Thank you for your time and I hope you seriously consider making some changes before you are just another hotel that “USED TO BE” in Vegas.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends