“No problems at the Flamingo”

Flamingo Las Vegas Hotel & Casino
Ranked #121 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Had a three night stay the last week if April with nothing really to complain about. Used the self-check in kiosk for check in and check out - worked like a charm, didn't wait at all. Room was basic but clean and in good repair. Pool area is nice and the location is perfect. Certainly not fancy-schmancy like many of the bigger hotels but for the great price - we will return and recommend it to others. Bought the 24 hour $49 buffet pass and managed to dine at Planet Hollywood, Paris, Flamingo and (for an extra$25) Ceasars new buffet which has been rated number one in Vegas ... It was fantastic and well worth the extra $25. Saw Elton John ... Spectacular - a smaller venue so not a bad seat in the house ... The cheap seats at $95 were great. Slots overall could've been looser but oh we'll, better luck next time. Overall, Flamingo is a good budget choice.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Glenis C

Reviewed May 9, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for a couple of nights back in January 2013 and can't fault it one bit.
I stayed in a standard room (didn't go for the upgrade to renovated bathroom either) and opted for the king bed rather than 2 queens as I was in the room alone.

I thought the decor was lovely, the bed was comfy and I really liked that I got a chaise longue, which my travel campanions in the 2 queen room were without.

The bathroom, while not as nice as the renovated ones, was perfectly functional and definately didn't warrant a $40 upgrade to a different room.

Only downside to my room was the huge windows, which would have been amazing, looked out over the construction that is currently taking place at the hotel next door. However, i didn't hear any construction noise during my stay.

Unfortunately, the hotel wasn't able to put me anywhere near my travel companions (I believe we were 6 floors apart), which wasn't ideal. However, our bookings/payments were made seperately so wasn't completely unexpected.

All in all, for the very cheap price paid I was very, very pleasantly suprised. I would definitely recommend the Flamingo to anyone wanting a hotel in Vegas that is well located and decent value for money.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Lyndsey P
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Won't be back...Just spent a few nights in the new "FAB" room #18159, only thing FAB was the view!. We were very disappointed in the condition of the room, and the lack of cleanliness. Dust balls scattered throughout the room on the floor and all the furniture was dusty, mirrors on closet doors, dirty, wall plates missing, broken vent in bathroom, beat up door and vanity. Couldn't get a signal on our cell phones, we never have had this in Vegas!
Could hear everything being said in the room next door, like we were in that room! it was a connecting room, paper thin walls!
Could hear the cleaning staff every morning. They cleaned our room in the afternoon...if that is what you call cleaning...never even took our pizza box and dirty drinking glasses, there was hair and dirt on the bathroom floor too, hair and dust on the pleather window bench, the faux throw on the end of the bed was matted and had hair and clothing threads on it, tossed it in the corner as soon as we arrived, never touched it again, funny nor did the MAID! Just Sickening to stay in that room 18159.
Walking down the hallways to the room the carpet is really dirty, and buckled all over. The elevators, were some of the dirtiest I have ever seen. The parking garage elevators are absolutely disgusting! The hotel is pretty much beat up, seems as though many are showing their age. Even the pool chaise loungers are showing the age, dirty and broken.
Only thing new at the Flamingo is the crummy band aide they put on the hotel, poor at best!
Be aware that all Vegas hotels are charging you and automatic resort fee. Not worth anything to so many. For $20.60 each day, because the fee is taxed, you get:
*You can now workout in their fitness center, and use 1 computer w-fi daily and have free local calls....really, it is Vegas! We all go to workout and 2 people in a room only use 1 computer right...oh, we all use their phones, because we don't have cell phones....What a waste of money!
Liked the restaurants, the gardens, the casino itself...don't stay here. Spend a little extra and stay somewhere nicer. We stayed here because of the location, and the supposed new "FAB" rooms! It was uncomfortable to stay in someplace that was not clean...

Room Tip: Don't go!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 9, 2013

My daughter and I just stayed at the Flamingo for a recent 4-day weekend. We didn't upgrade to a GO room but we had no problems with our room -- nice decor, lots of mirrors for getting ready, and a great view of the strip. Checking in was faster than we thought it would be, given the length of the lineup, and the guy who helped us was cheerful and helpful.

We loved walking around the gardens with the birds and fish, and the pool area was lovely, though we didn't have time to actually use it. The location can't be beat -- very central on the Strip and the monorail stops right at the Flamingo.

The Pizza place in the lobby by the Habitat elevators has fabulous pizza for a good price and good coffee for a ridiculous (though common for Vegas) price. Otherwise, we were a bit disappointed by the restaurant choices in the hotel, especially for breakfast. I made a run down to McDonalds on the other side of The Quad for take out breakfast a couple of times, but that wasn't really our first choice, either.

We booked prior to March 1st so we didn't have a resort fee but wi-fi in our room was $14/device/day, which was a bit tough to swallow, but it was good wi-fi and you can't really find it free anywhere so it was worth it. We were able to catch the airport shuttle on the day we left, which was handy but at $7/person it was, well, $7/person more than the shuttles in California that we rode a couple of weeks ago. The driver was very friendly, though, which was nice, so we tipped him anyway. We caught a cab to the hotel at the beginning of our trip, which set us back about $20 (ask for no tunnel or it will be more like $30) so the shuttle was cheaper, so worth it if you don't have to wait for it.

Overall, we had a good stay at the Flamingo, our only wish would be more choice for restaurants or even a decent coffee shop on the premises.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Eskimos10
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Spent $14.00 for a shuttle from airport to hotel. Find out once we get there that, because of construction, (which I was told was over), etc., we had to get dropped off what seemed to be 1/4 mile from the hotel then had to walk the rest of the way WITH LUGGAGE, (the worst part was being lied to about where we would get dropped off, (( was told, "right at the hotel", my old man's 82 with Gout in his feet)), and if construction was still going on, (( was told, "nope, that's all done")). Finally after getting there, we ended up waiting in line to check-in for what seemed to be hours. Finally get into our "GO" room. What a dump. Go ahead and spill whatever you want on the carpets, they're stained enough that nobody will notice. Just make sure you aren't wearing clean, white socks or they won't be clean for long. Had a room on the 25th floor, and the music from the pool was so LOUD it had my window shaking and was told the music started around 6 a.m. every morning. Somehow they have this idea that the pool area should be a daytime "night club". Also found out that anybody could use the pool, (like non-guests), they just had to pay to get in. Also thought it was kind of odd that guys were walking around the inside of the hotel shirtless, (why weren't the females doing the same, then my review would be better). Anyways, I complained about all the noise and was given a room where things were suppose to be quieter. Well, that didn't happen. Dropped 10 floors and got a side view of the construction going on. They also seem to start work around 6 a.m., so we woke up with the sound of scrap steel slamming into empty metal bins. I honestly thought they were using explosives it was so loud. Also got put in a room right next to where the cleaning people kept there stuff to start their day, (early). Some of the music inside the casino was also so ridiculously loud I felt like I was back in my bar-hopping, clubbing days. You needed to yell to talk to someone next to you. For Christ's sake, the Hard Rock Café's music was quieter. Needless to say their slots or tables saw none of my money. I cannot emphasize enough that this place is a dump. Keep the "Flamingo" name if they want, but please blow this place up and make a newer casino. Spend the extra cash and stay somewhere else. The actual strip, casinos and shows outside of Flamingo were great. I wasn't going to let this POS hotel ruin my vacation, just kinda sucked that I had to go there to sleep. This place has basically turned into a spring break party atmosphere 24-7/365. I chose this place because of location, and thank god I did because the only time I spent in my casino was to get to the exit doors. Maybe this place does have good shows, you just couldn't keep me in there long enough to find out. I did not enjoy being woken up a couple hours after getting in for the night. Saying that this wasn't how I remembered the Flamingo is obviously an understatement. Here's an idea for Flamingo, how about keeping the pools open later and maybe start that silly-loud music around 6'ish p.m. to 11:00-midnight. Oh, and don't let non-guests use the pool. You have a hotel full of people that would use them if it wasn't so crowded. As for kids activities, I don't think parents brought their kids to the kiddie pools because they were frightened to stay with them when the "GO" pools were right next door.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank zoesmom65
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Our experience at the Flamingo was not as good as I had hoped it would be and I am not quick to recommend it based on accommodations or the helpfulness of the staff. The rooms are large (we stayed in a Mini GO Suite) but the TVs were so annoying because the one remote that operated both rarely operated just the one TV you were attempting to operate as it would also operate the other. If you weren't careful you would end up turning both at the same time and the tv closest to the bed was programmed to turn on at a very loud volume, it was deafening and irritating.

Even more annoying was the VERY limited availability of mirrors in the room. Never before have I appreciated access to a mirror while getting dressed. But considering that this was my wedding, I wanted AND NEEDED to see myself in my dress. The one and only full size mirror in the whole room was in the narrow entryway. The only way to see yourself was to stand right up against the mirror in the narrow 3 ft hallway. I got so claustrophobic in that small area and it was practically impossible when I had on my wedding dress. Besides, it was pointless because there was limited lighting and because I had to stand so close to the mirror that I couldn't get a good look, that is, if I was able to see through the fog that appeared on the mirror from breathing within the close proximity. The lack of mirror access would be annoying in general, but for dressing for my wedding, I would have stayed somewhere else had I known in advance. After many calls to the front desk and several broken promises by the Flamingo staff to return our calls, a full-size mirror was eventually brought to our room. They made it very clear that we could only have the mirror in our room temporarily and that they'd be back to pick it up later that afternoon. Wow, they sure know how to make a girl feel special on her wedding day.... And sure enough, they quickly retrieved the mirror as they were concerned that it posed a liability since it was not secured and just leaning on the wall. I am pretty sure that they only brought it up because they picked up on the possible liability [to them and/or the room] I was on the verge of becoming if I did not get a mirror. I was close to becoming full blown bridezilla and pull the hall mirror off the wall and move it to area of the room where I could actually use it. I wanted a mirror and I was not going to give up. And the Flamingo staff sure made it hard to get it done.

Everyone was quick to supply "congratulations" in an area where weddings occur on a daily basis, but I was surprised that the Flamingo did absolutely nothing for us on our wedding day. The fact that we were getting married on-site was noted at the time of booking and we used their outside chapel for the ceremony. There was no card or small amenity to welcome, congratulate, or anything to remotely make us feel special or to show appreciation for choosing them for our special day. What we did get from the Flamingo staff was the runaround and utter frustration from having to work so hard just to get a mirror.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SummerInACK
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I spent 5 nights at the Flamingo in April and gambled at several of the properties that are part of the CET group. I asked for a "good" room at check in which for me was one that was quiet. We didn't hear any construction noise during our stay. There were a number of younger people staying here which I knew would be the case from other reviews. We were in a Fab room on the 4th floor. Our view was of the back of the hotel and really nothing to see. The room was totally remodeled including the bathroom. The only drawback to me was the size of the closet. It worked for us but seemed really small. Everything else in the room was just fine. The carpet in the hall needed stretching or replacing but I didn't expect all to be perfect for the price point of this hotel. I would caution those thinking of bringing children to this hotel. There are ads or posters for some of the adult shows pretty close to the lobby of the hotel. I know this is Las Vegas but that seemed a little much to me. Overall I would recommend the Flamingo for location and a great pool. The prices for food at restaurants and food court are high compared to this level of hotel but you are on the strip in Vegas and it's that way everywhere.

Room Tip: Explain to clerk at front desk what you are looking for in a room. There are Fab rooms and Go rooms...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business