“Was worth a try. . . .”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Clovis, California
“Was worth a try. . . .”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We were in Las Vegas for a cheer competition from April 12th-15th 2013. I originally had booked a Marriott off the strip (I prefer to be in a smoke-free, casino-free environment when traveling with my kids) but instead of taking the whole family just my daughter, myself, and my mom traveled so at the request of my mom we booked on the strip. We basically chose the Flamingo because of the location and all of the pink :). There was a lot I liked and some things I didn't so I will break this into a pros and cons list.

Pros:
LOCATION: Right off of Las Vegas BLVD and Flamingo Road made for easy access and a great central location! Walking distance to the Paris and Bellagio was awesome and super easy access to the Thomas & Mack Center at UNLV.
ROOM: Laminate floors were really nice! Comfortable bed. Floor to Ceiling windows. Quiet during the weekend.
FLAMINGO HABITAT: Loved this! Watching the swans, flamingos, ducks, koi, and cat fish was awesome (just wish it wasn't where everyone went to smoke)
DINING: We ate breakfast two of the three days at the hotel. The first morning we ate in the Tropical Cafe and the second at the breakfast buffet. Both were delicious and did not dissapoint!

Cons:
BATHROOM: The room was lovely but the bathroom kind of skanky- I was not pleased with it at all!
ROOM LOCATION: The room was like 40 rooms from the elevator and it was a really long walk. We were also told we would have a pool view but we had a view of the roof.
NOISE: The room was very quiet- until Monday morning and I quickly realized why it had been so silent. Around 8 AM the room started shaking violently and a pounding noise from what I can only assume was a jack hammer pounded our ears for the next hour! It was horrible! We complained and they only gave a $20 refund- quite honestly I think the night should have been comped because we had stayed up late so we could sleep in and that was not possible.
NO CELL SERVICE: I had absolutely no cell service in the room- could not text, call, or get online. It was very frustrating as I do a lot of work on my phone and was there for a cheer competition so needed to be in contact with my daughters coach for time updates and what not. It drove me crazy!
PARKING: We were told self-service parking was the best bet by the man who checked us in. What a LIE!!!! There was never parking and valet was almost always full. The situation was a disaster!

All-in-all we had a clean comfortable room and the hotel has been maintained well but I will NEVER stay there again. First of all there are a ton of other hotels to try and this is just not worth a return trip. Instead of staying maybe just go check out the grounds and the breakfast buffet. Although the location was IDEAL so if you need a place on Las Vegas BLV and FLamingo Road but Ceasars, Bellagio and the Paris are out of budget then go for it.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool or strip view!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank jjdewey84

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7,905)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Houston
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Just returned from a 4 night business trip to Las Vegas (April 7-11). Conference was at Caesar's Palace but they were booked so I was given Flamingo Las Vegas as their "sister" property. This was one bad experience after another:
• Made a reservation over the phone for an “upgraded” room that was described as the “fully renovated rooms”. I had to pre-pay a deposit for one night for each of the rooms I reserved and was told I could not change my reservation...should have known there was a problem already.
• Upon check in I was told there was no “upgraded” rooms available however I was still being charged the “upgraded” price. I was told that there is no guarantee of getting one of these rooms it is only “upon availability”. So, basically I paid extra to be in the “lottery” for an upgraded room????
• When I got up to my room it had obviously not been cleaned. It was GROSS beyond belief (stained sheets, toilet not flushed...really GROSS not exaggerated). I called downstairs 3 times and the phone rang FOREVER without ever being picked up. Had to go back downstairs to get in line again to get some help with this. The guy at the desk said “oh, okay” (no apology at all) but offered me an “upgraded” room. I said I thought there was not any available and he said “uh, we have plenty available, why?”
• This is upgraded: dirty stained carpet in the hallway and room, thin snagged sheets, pillows that felt like they were filled with paper, loud a/c, paper thin walls, dirty windows, and the room smelled weird.
• Dirty food trays, drink glasses, etc stayed in the hallways for days (again, I am not exaggerating this).
• A couple of times we were in the casino at the tables and slot machines. There were several people complaining that there was basically no drink service. I asked more than once at the bar for drink service...never happened. I even told the cashier at the casino we were checking out to go across the street because we can actually get service at Caesar’s and she said “okay”.
• Upon check out we were asked “how was your stay?” and I said “not great, we had a lot of problems”. She just handed me my receipt. I said “do you want to know what was wrong?” and she said “oh, I am sorry, thank you, next...”
Clearly the Flamingo Las Vegas staff does not care about their customers or their hotel. It is gross, old, and filled with inattentive staff. If you can’t afford anywhere else to stay then just stay home. This hotel is awful in every way!!!

Room Tip: Stay some place else. There is no good room here.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank JulesHouston

Travelers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We thought so on our first two stays, beautiful hotel, nice rooms, and exceptional staff. Upon our arrival April 2 we were informed that our 6 nite, smoking room was not available, that smoking rooms were on a first come first served basis and they had none left. When I made the reservation on Feb. 26 I was told I had one of the last smoking room. This has happened at other hotels and was always handle to our satisfaction.
The Flamingo desk staff decided to use this as an excuse to be rude and extremely unprofessional. Eighteen hours later, after much conflict we were settled into our room. This is our vacation we did not come to the Flamingo to fight for our room and put up with a desk staff with very poor customer service skills.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lin W
Europe
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel first time as it is my first time in LV.
We have got really nice room on 24 floor with the view to Belagio fountains. The room was clean and tidy even I was a little bit scary after reading some bad reviews.
Pool was small, but nice and not to busy so we have been able to enjoy spending here few hours with few nice cocktails.
I was very disappointed in local canteen as we ordered pancakes and it was really bad. So we have been eating in other places after that. But as I am American so I am not used to American meals so maybe it was the reason as I saw a lot of people around ordering and really enjoying pancakes in the same place.
Hotel has really nice Mexican bar outside and barman's are making really good margaritas and they have happy hour so we really enjoyed it.
I do not mind staying here again. I think it is good quality for the reasonable price.

Room Tip: We had a nice room with the view to Bellagio. We have paid a little bit extra on arrival to get bett...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Roseburg, Oregon
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I booked directly through the hotel's web site because it was the best price. I reserved a King bed. I didn't know if you don't check-in by 4pm they give that away. Checking in was horrible. They offer computers with auto check-in, but they had given our room away so it only referred us to the front desk. We had to wait 30 min. in line.
Pros: Go Rooms are really nice. Well worth the upgrade cost.
We didn't eat their buffet, but all their other restaurants served great food
Pool area is beautiful (which is why I chose this hotel)
Conveniently located in the middle of the strip
Cons: The reservation policy stinks
Pool lounge area is actually not that big, so ALL chairs were taken by 11am and it was
a weekday
The pool slides were closed.
Concierge desk not helpful or really that knowledgeable.

Room Tip: If you are on the strip side, be sure to get a floor higher than 22 for the best views.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank curlycrafter
United Kingdom
Reviewed April 16, 2013

This was our last stop of a 2 week break driving Arizona and Utah. I booked for 3 nights through Expedia and got a great deal on a Go Room with View which included a $9 each voucher which we could use at one of the two Java detours (at any time so we used them for lunch as well as breakfast). Make sure they enable this to your room card through as they said they had (twice) but we found out they hadn't when we first tried to use it!

Parking was easy and close to reception.

I signed up for Total rewards before leaving, picked up the card from TR reception then used the separate TR check in line where there was nobody in line before us.

The check in girl was helpful. She was going to give us a Room overlooking Ceasers Palace and the strip but I asked if she had a Room ovelooking the Bellagio fountains. She gave us a disabled access room on the 22nd floor.

This room was great as it was the first room on the floor and right next to the lift. This also meant it had the best view of the fountains on that floor as it was right on the corner. It had everything we needed, extremely comfortable bed, coffee maker, safe, fridge, 42" TV, TV in bathroom mirror (!), lots of storage, great shower and was cleaned daily.

We slept well and could only hear the whoosh of the fountains from the strip but these stopped at midnight. We could hear the guests in the next room talking occasionally. There is some building work at Bill's next door which they are renovating. This started around 6am but wasn't especially nosiy whilst we were there. Interestingly they had all gone home buy 2pm!

We could walk on to the strip within a minute of leaving our room and the Flamingo is right in the heart of things. When back at the room we could watch the fountains with a chilled beer/glass of wine from the comfort of the chaise lounge or even from the bed! I don't think you could get bored of the view we had of the strip - there was so much going on down there!!

For the price we paid (and the view we got) and also from looking at the prices of other hotels in the area like the Bellagio, Ceasers Palace and the Cosmopolitan (which were all nearly 4 times the price!), we thought the value of this room and hotel was excellent.

One thing to note is that they now charge a $18 per day resort fee (which we didn't pay as already booked). This seems excessive for what basically seems like a fee for wifi!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Pacifica, California
Reviewed April 15, 2013

As a regular visitor to Las Vegas, I thought I would take my family to the Flamingo, due to its location in terms of the strip. Upon arriving to the hotel, I found the lines to check in extremely long. I would estimate I waited at least 45 minutes. They did have a self check in kiosk, however, most the machines were broken, and the only one that seemed not to give you the room type you reserved, hens you have to wait in line. Upon getting to the room, I found visible wear and tear in the room, which is no big deal for a 3 Star Rating. Upon, relaxing and getting to the pool, I found the water ice cold to the point that very few able bodies took the risk of swimming. Next, I found the cafe had limited hours Monday-Thursday. It literally closes at 2pm.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family