“nice but not great”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Rochester
“nice but not great”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

convinient location on the strip. But more for those who would like a bit of kinky atmosphere or may be hen night parties for college girls. The rooms are "ok" in ambience but they were clean. The toilets don't lock. They have a sliding door with translucent glass wall. its all pink. also the shower area is not as guarded as it should be. If you put the shower in force it kind of floods the whole bathroom. But again cheaper than many other hotels in the strip. Corridoors are bit run down. Front desk very helpful and their habitat is wonderful. Experienced zoologists take care of habitat and they are very knowledgeable. Buffet is just "ok". We had nicer ones in other places. Also the food court is not great either

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Missmistymist

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7,754)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Temperance, Michigan
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Stayed here for a few days. The staff was very kind and helpful. I was given an early check in, a clean room that I felt safe in. I booked the super cheap room on their web site for $38/night. It was equal to an older holiday inn room. The nice thing was there was no carpet in the room-so GREAT for my allergies. Had a nice view of the pool. The casino is smokey-but I wasn't there to gamble-just walked thru. No complaints-would stay there again-FYI-could not get room service at midnight when I woke up hungry,.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Secaucus, New Jersey
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Compared to Cesars, the Flamingo should be a 2 star, but compared to other hotels in its price class, it is worthy of 5 stars. It wouldn't be fair to do a side by side comparison of a $400/nt hotel to a $79/nt hotel and so I will judge it on its own merits and compare it to other hotels in its class.

The Flamingo is an amazing value. The rooms were newly renovated with great views of the strip. The hotel was clean and the room was very functional. On our most recent visit to vegas, we spent a total of 2 nights as a layover going to SF and spent $30/night to stay at The Flamingo. You can't beat the price.

We didn't gamble a lot in the casino but spent maybe an hour playing slots before bed. Payouts were average but game selection wasn't top notch.

The location really could not be better. I have stayed in several different hotels along the strip and this is by far the best location. It is important to remember how far away each hotel is in vegas. If you stay at The Luxor (as I have in the past) or Circus Circus, you will either spend upwards of an hour walking to get to different attractions or a good amount of money on cabs. The central location of The Flamingo made getting around much easier than past trips.

The buffet is good. There is a buffet pass that will alllow you to eat at all of Bally's buffets for 24 hours. Good deal if you are pudgy.

Sign up for a total rewards card. You save money on food.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank John F
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Stayed here mid-January during a really slow weekend. Price was extremely cheap: $30/night plus two free continental breakfasts (which turned out to be a $9 credit per person at the coffee stand). No added resort fees. Stayed in a FAB Luxury room. The upgraded floor made the room look fine, but I would equate it to a room at a Best Western. The pictures online are very accurate. The beds were fine- better than cheap to mid-rate hotel chains, but not as good as a Hyatt/Westin etc. Linens were disappointing- I have much better at home. That pink thing on the end of the bed is not a blanket but rather some sort of rug-type thing. I was disgusted by it and immediately took it off the bed. Bathroom was okay- decent size, but definitely showing its age. Toiletries provided were average to slightly above average. The biggest problem we had with the room was the lack of hot water. Granted, we stayed during an unusually cold weekend (temps dropped below freezing, highs around 40 degrees), but the old plumbing in the hotel just wasn't up to par. The maintenance person told us that we needed to run the water in the sink and shower for 10-15 minutes until it would get hot, since the boilers were 23 floors below us in the basement. This was not only extremely wasteful (especially for a city in the middle of the desert!), but also really inconvenient. During the summer, this would not be an issue, as you wouldn't want to be taking a really hot shower when it's over 100 degrees outside, but it's something to consider if you will be staying here during the winter. We also were woken up several times the first night by people walking past our room talking loudly. This is a typical problem for most hotels in Vegas, but if you're there on a weekend and don't stay up very late, you might want to ask for a room far away from the elevators.

We experienced a quick check-in line: better than any other hotel in Vegas we've been to. In my experience, they all have lines depending on the time you check-in as well as whether it's a busy day or not. I did not think that the casino and lobby areas were excessively smokey (as good or better than all of the other hotels we visited). The grounds are really nice, and I would have loved to spend some time in the pool if it was warm enough. The location is perfect. It was easy to walk the entire length of the strip from this hotel. I would say if you're looking for location and value, the Flamingo is a good bet. If you're looking for luxury and don't mind spending more, look elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dd123456789
Hilton Head, SC
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I decided to come to a rug market convention in Las Vegas at the last minute. The woman at the convention website raved about the renovated "Fab" rooms at the Flamingo and the price was great ( should have been my first warning) so I booked three nights

When I arrived at 1:30 am Eastern Time (10:30 pm Vegas Time) after a long flight, I was told my room would not be ready for an hour because the maid was still cleaning it. Since I am not a gambling fan, I resorted to a drink in the lobby bar where the music was deafening. Returned to the desk and room still not ready. Pleaded for any room. He gave me a "Fab" room on the top floor and, while the view was great, it had no chair but rather a leather bench with a bolster.
The furniture was pretty beat up and the bath was small and nothing special.

When I woke up and tried to do some computer work sitting on the bed, discovered that there were only two outlets anywhere near the bed and they were already being used for the light and the clock plus they were too far away for my cord.

After breakfast, It decided to go to the front desk to see if they had any other room choices.
Nice woman, Suzanne, put me in a junior suite because it had regular chairs in the living room. Sounded great and I repacked my bag and transferred to the 9 floor. It was a sad older room overlooking the parking garage and had no TV in the bedroom. Called the front desk and was told there would not be anyone who could address room changes for another 30 minutes.

Back downstairs to the front desk again to see my friend, Suzanne. A supervisor got involved because at this point I was seriously considering moving to another hotel. When I asked again if there wasn't any better room and that I would be willing to pay a little extra (which I had expressed before) , all of a sudden they told me about a "Go" room which is there premium
upgraded room and it would be $30 more a night, Since I had to get to work and I thought it was still a bargain, I agreed.

The new room was much better with a great bath, refrigerator, coffeemaker, I-pod stereo system and a much more pleasing decor. Well worth the price, Happy, at last, I went to work.

Not so fast. When I came home, the very nice flat TV would not turn on, After a call to desk, a tech came up and fixed it, However, I could only get limited channels and he said he had to reset it and would come back later to make sure it had reset properly, When I woke up the next morning at 4:30 and turned the TV on, it again didn't work. Another call downstairs and another tech visit. Have to say they do respond quickly, but would rather not to have to get dressed at 5:00am to let tech in, He got it on but still could not get all the channels, Too early to report it to cable people, but he said he would report later.

I will challenge the upgrade charge based on the TV problem and all the trouble I had with their wireless internet that I paid extra $13.99 a day for. I will spare you that story,

Long and short of it, the location is great, burgers at Margaritaville restaurant there are huge and delicious, make sure you get a "Go" room rather than"Fab" one. However, I am sure with all the rooms available, better deals are out here. Remember you get what you pay for and, if a deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Room Tip: Don't book a "Fab" room unless price is your only criteria.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank kglavin

Travelers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

Columbus
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We have stayed at the Flamingo many times. Years ago it was great. Then in 2009 we were disappointed - dirty carpets, shower with no pressure. So when we found out they had updated we were excited. Arrived last Aug. and had a "Fab room" reserved. The head board of bed was literally hanging & detached from wall. There was nothing preventing it from falling on one's head. Had to lug all suitcases back to desk to get another room. Next room had broken lamp & maintenance could not figure out how to repair & said they had no replacements. We just got by with one lamp. We do like the restaurants & bars there & the location is perfect. If your lucky enough to get a good room it is enjoyable. We cannot believe that housekeeping did not notice these problems. We understand that some guests in Vegas are destructive but what keeps management from charging those guests for damages?

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bets84
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

The overall stay at the Flamingo was ok. I dont know if the front desk is understaffed but we had to wait like an hour to check in. Everytime there was huge line infront of the front desk.There was no fridge or microwave in the room and you have to pay extra if you want to get a open view. they had really nice pools but too bad it was closed during our stay.
I wouldnt reccommend this Hotel.

• Stayed November 2012