“Mid-Strip & Bed Bugs” 2 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Phoenix, Arizona
“Mid-Strip & Bed Bugs”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I recently went to Vegas for a mancation and we decided to stay at the Flamingo. I found a last minute deal for a Friday night and Saturday night that averaged out to be $100 a night, which was nice. Now, this was my first time staying here at the Flamingo, although this was probably my 6th or 7th time in Vegas. And, although I do like some of the nicer properties there, for a short 36-40 hour stay, it's just not worth spending $300-$500 dollars a night when you're not even going to be in the hotel for the most part other than to sleep.

Now, the Flamingo is an original, the first casino hotel to go up in LV and in some areas of the hotel, like the corridors, do show how old it is. When I initally booked the room, I resereved the Fab Deluxe Queen Queen, which was supposed to be a newly renovated room. However, upon arrival, we were offered an uprgraded room to a junior suite on the 19th (19173) floor in the Habitat Tower. Our first thoughts were that's great, more room and over looking the pool area, but not so fast. Yes, the room was about 200-250 sq ft bigger than the Deluxe Queen Queen, but the suite had double beds versus queen size beds (I'm 6'1" and my buddy is 6'3"), the carpet was old and dirty and had a huge red 2ft by 2ft stain on it in front of the TV, the window coverings were dirty, the wallpaper behind the desk was halfway peeling off, the couch, chair and table were old and stained, the sink in the bathroom was slow to drain and the room just felt old, really old. Heck, it still had an old tube TV versus a new flat panel as in other rooms.

While we were there, we did play some table games and the ambiance was... well, it had that old school feel, which was alright. We visited the food court to eat, nothing special there, and we also went to the Garden Bar and the Corner Bar (Garden bar was inside, Corner bar was outside). Both were ok and again, nothing special to write home about as the drink prices were a little on the high side, but that's Vegas for you.

Now, here's the kicker. When I woke up this past Sunday morning, I noticed that the way housekeeping makes the beds, they didn't necessairly pull the bedsheet all the way down over the foot of the bed thus, exposing the bed itself. When I got home, over the course of the next couple of days this past week, I noticed small red dots on my lower legs, which means bed bugs. So, although I found a great deal on this hotel, which is about mid-strip and in the heart of where all the action is, I cannont recommend staying here to anyone based on the fact that my legs have nice red dots all over them and mind you, that's after I donated a decent amount of money to the Flamingos gaming industry, to which I can find other places to donate to now.

So, if you're looking for affordabilty and a decent stay, look elsewhere or even an off-strip property. I'd even recommend just spending the extra money to stay somewhere nicer and newer that's on the strip if you can afford to.

9 Thank R E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5,862)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
West Hollywood, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I stayed at the Flamingo only because my mom get's comp'ed there for however long she wants, and I went to visit her on my birthday. I booked a FAB room and requested a strip view. The view I got was of the building across the street, with a peek a boo view of the Bellagio shops (room 11058). I do like that it was close to the elevator, though. The food at Flamingo leaves a lot to be desired. They need to bring in a restauranteur to bring their dining experiences to the level of their neighboring resorts.

The room I got was a smoking room. I chose this because I do not smoke in my house, and since I was on a vacation, I figured, why not. It stunk to high hell. I asked housekeeping to come in and spray, and they did so without a problem. The AC also wasn't cold enough. I asked maintenance and they said it wasn't really AC, but a cooler that runs water through it and to set it to 65 degrees on high. I did as they suggested and the room MAYBE got down to 75 degrees at night. Not cold enough for me. The bathroom was all original, except for the granite counter they threw in. What really bugged me was that they had an entry way light fixture without the fixture attached to it. When I called about that, the maintenance guy said that those are the first things to go in the room, since they are glass, and they are out of them. Seriously?? Bare bulbs in the room without any sort of shade? That's unacceptable.

I visited my mom, who was in a GO room on the 22nd floor. Since she's VIP, she had a really nice view, but even still, the wall in her room looks like someone punched a hole in it and hadn't been fixed. Also, the GO room baths are very nice, but there is NO privacy. You can hear EVERYTHING!

When I went, the GO pool was unavailable due to an event. This is the 21+ pool. I went to the regular pool and a drink was $21 before tip. Seriously, Flamingo?

I got this room for $108 through Players Club discount while other properties were charging $300+ for that weekend due to the iHeartRadio concert. The Cosmopolitan was at $564.

When I returned home, I found out that my entire stay, food, and drinks were comped because it was my mom's birthday and she's platinum status. For that, I'd say I would return. No other reason would I come back to the Flamingo.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Paul X
Vancouver, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Booked a Go Luxury with View room for 5 nights, Was upgraded to a Go Mini Suite room. The room was recently refurbished and showed no signs of wear. The room was exceptionaly quiet. I could not hear the ice machine that was located next to my room. I liked that the casino and hotel are located right on the strip and not set way back like most of the newer places. The only disappointment was their eating places. The food at their buffet was bland and the selection was limited. The food at their food court was not any better

Room Tip: When booking ask for a refurbished room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Vancouver Island, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Stayed here recently with a friend for 5 nights and would definitely consider it again. We were in a room on the 22nd floor in the 'refurbished' part of the building. The hallway was a little run down and dingy but what do you expect for one of the oldest hotels on the strip? Our room was more than decent, I liked the laminate floors and the room was clean. Some of the furniture was a little dated but we really didn't spend that much time in the room anyway so it didn't really matter. The bathroom was ok, the water pressure was TERRIBLE but most hotel rooms in Vegas seem to have this problem, from my experience....

The pool was awesome and tons of fun.

The location was the best part, near everything we wanted to see & do. I would definitely stay here again!

1 Thank islandgirlie522
edmonton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Flamingo's 2 main advantages are its location on the strip (very central) and the pool area. Also, the casino is quite straight forward and easy to navigate. Some of the newer casinos seem to be designed to get you lost and disorientated. I guess they hope you'll just give up and feed a machine. The only issue I have ever had is they seem to keep a skeletal staff at check in and it can take awhile.....not all bad though, while in line you aren't loosing money.

2 Thank brookdj1
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I stayed at the Flamingo the end of August in a Fab Luxury Room.. The hotel does not compare to any other on the strip as far as impressive, but if you are going there to spend minimal time in your room there's nothing like it. It's right on the strip-no 15 minute walk to the road - good view if you pay for one except for the screening over the window advertising Donny and Marie - totally distorts your view which is a shame. But the casino is small and fun and the food court is wonderful. The newly updated Fab room is very cheaply done but clean. Had good check in experience as well as checking out and can't wait to return!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank 12sue34
Upper Marlboro, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I stayed at the Flamingo from September 29 – October 1, 2012 and was extremely pleased with the property. I normally stay at TheHotel or one of the higher end hotels, but this was just a quick weekend trip and the higher end hotels were extremely overpriced. I booked a Go room without a view of the strip, but we arrived to the hotel around 12 and really wanted to check in early. None of the go rooms without a view of the strip were available, so we upgraded to a go room with a view of the strip for an additional 20.00 per night just so we could get in the room and get settled. The go room is one of the renovated, more modern rooms the Flamingo offers. The room is a generously sized, has a nice sized flat screen TV in front of the bed, nice, modern décor, the window shades are operated by a switch, which was a nice touch.

The bathroom was also generously sized, offering a TV within the mirror, roomy stand-up shower with the main shower head as well as two additional jets. This was also a great touch. The beds were extremely comfortable, so comfortable that I had to roll back the fitted sheet to see what type of bed it was so I could return home and purchase.

The staff was extremely accommodating; our housekeeper was one of the nicest people I’ve ever met.

The Flamingo is also right in the middle of the strip so walking to hotels on both the north and south side of the strip was not exhausting.

The only cons I have for the Flamingo are TV channel selection. Even though much time was not spent in the room, when I was there it would have been nice to have a better selection of TV channels. Also, the line to check in was extremely long. It probably took about 45 minutes to check in. There are electronic kiosk stations, but I had several questions to ask the front desk representative so I avoided the electronic kiosk.

I highly recommend this hotel, as the value, location, and amenities are all great.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple