“Fabulous stay, bad reviews totally unfounded!”

Flamingo Las Vegas Hotel & Casino
Ranked #121 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 24, 2011

I have just returned from a 5 night stay at the Flamingo as a surprise for my husband's 30th in which another couple joined us and have to quash every poor review I've seen on my experience.

I chose the Flamingo for its central position and reasonable price but wasn't sure what to expect as we usually stay in newer hotels when we visit Vegas.

We'd booked two GO rooms and couldn't fault them. They were clean, housekeepers were great every day (even if they did knock a little early for Vegas time!) and the carpets were new. The greatest thing for both rooms was the strip and bellagio fountain views which we hadn't paid for. We hadn't even checked in using the crazy long line, and just done the express check in at the touch screens and still got a room which I'm certain you usually pay extra for.

Watching the fountains in bed on my birthday when we arrived was just fantastic and something we'd never had the chance to experience during peak season during other stays.

As I said the check in line was crazy and unless we were really fussed about trying to get our two rooms next to each other we didn't want to wait in line for around an hour just for that. They only had 3 people checking people in, but unless you have specific requirements to be met, just get on the express computers and you're done in seconds. Consequently our two rooms were only a floor apart and both very near the lifts so we were very happy.

We didn't eat at the hotel as the other couple we were with hadn't been to Vegas before so we wanted to take them to some other places we knew but everything looked good.

Hubby plays a lot of poker and was disappointed with the poker at the Flamingo more so because it just didn't suit his game - too many people just playing every hand without a care so he stuck at Caesars most nights after we'd all gone to bed and that suited him.

The fridge in the room was very welcome for water, we had one issue with a light fitting but maintenance were up to fix it within minutes of me calling guest services.

We hired an SUV for 2 days to go to a gun range, premium outlets and the Las Vegas Ski and Snowboard Resort in Mount Charleston and did this through Hertz at the hotel. I had prebooked and paid online before we arrived in Vegas and despite showing the Hertz rep my credit card statement (after paying $5 to use the internet and print it!) she said no one has ever paid online before arriving in the 8 years she's worked there and that I would be charged as normal and I would need to speak to Hertz when I got back in the UK to seek a refund. Obviously I don't know who's at fault here but annoying all the same.

The new Margaritaville Casino was fun and as we were with people who hadn't done Vegas before it was great to be at the Flamingo for them to enjoy some $5 blackjack in the day etc.

The TV in the bathroom mirror was great for when I had a bath but the main tv in the room never showed a channel number so you constantly had to scan all the channels which was a bit annoying.

The bell desk was very useful and organised for holding our baggage after we'd checked out but before we needed to go to the airport.

Check out was even simpler than checking in - again we used the express touch screen - swipe your card, print your receipt if you want one and drop your key cards in a box :)

I would stay at the Flamingo again but we love to try new hotels for each visit so maybe the time will come again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Rebecca P
There are newer reviews for Flamingo Las Vegas Hotel & Casino

Reviewed December 24, 2011

Before you can even check-in you are hounded by employees trying to sell you packages to something. They called it a complimentary "welcome" package. Don't fall for it. The only thing I liked was the express check-in monitors. The room was filthy! Stains on the carpet, dirty toilet, and the room smelled like cigarettes though it was a non-smoking room. The morning of check-out our room had no water. It finally came on a while later but there wasn't any hot water. I went to the desk to check-out and spoke to James to inform him that we were inconvenienced by the fact that we didn't have water and then no hot water that morning. I asked for some kind of compensation for the inconvenience. James said that it wasn't the hotel's fault and that there was nothing he could do. I didn't even get an apology for the inconvenience. James was very rude and smug about the situation. I will never stay there again!

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel if possible.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Diane L
Reviewed December 23, 2011

My husband was running the LasVegasMarathon and my daughter and I decided to fly out at the last minute to surprise him at the finish line. We chose The Flamingo based on 3 major principles:
1) Location- near my husband's hotel but not the same hotel
2) Nostalgia- we always wanted to stay at The Flamingo based on its fantastic history
3) Amenities- searched EVERY hotel in Vegas for an operational swimming pool during the cool, unseasonal month of December. Hotel website says that the pool is operational from 10am-3pm in December (Mirage had the pool open as well but we preferred Flamingo's locale)
The outcome proved to be a little bit disappointing, Upon checking-in, we were told by the friendly staff to proceed completely through the lobby, halfway through the casino and go to the Habitat Elevators on the left and up to the 6th floor to find our room. I turned and asked the check-in clerk if it was okay to take my child through the casino and she said that it is fine. There are segments in the excursion where there are no ramps. There we are, (I am) dragging our HUGE suitcases down marble stairs....THUMP,THUMP,THUMP! We find the elevators and go up to our room. The room was nice and spacious but we found ourselves having to keep the curtains drawn because our room was where the "spotlight" shines in. When you turn the TV on it blares and screams at a million decibles & we had to figure out a way to turn on the TV everyday without waking the neighbours. It turns out, if (child) presses the POWER button, (Mommy) can hit the mute button super-fast! Kind of felt sick to my stomach at that moment because I felt that we had way over-paid.I am baffled at this point. For a last minute trip to Vegas, I have booked a deluxe room at a pretty, famous hotel. We paid 4 TIMES more per night than we would have paid anywhere else nearby (We pd $100+/night : In comparison- at this time & date...$26-$54/night) and we based all of the decisions on the claims on the website. I told my daughter,"It'll be better tomorrow because you can go swimming and we will surprise Daddy tonight after the marathon." Needless to say, the swimming pool never opened. We didn't need to traverse the whole expanse of the casino to get to the room... there are "other" elevators 3 ft away... No, seriously! My husband and sister-in-law came up to our room to meet us for dinner and they showed me the OTHER ELEVATORS. You know the ones...They are the elevators that are totally, basically and conveniently positioned in the lobby. I am quite humiliated at this point that I was directed to drag the suitcases and my 11 yr old daughter through the whole expanse of the casino... my daughter asked me, "Mommy, why is that lady dancing on the table in her underwear?" My retort? The website said that this is a "family-friendly" hotel.
It's true though. The outside gardens are amazing. The bird-life is beautiful. The staff are very friendly. The restaurants and room-service are exceptional. My problem lies in the fact that the hotel misrepresented itself. If you say that you have an operational swimming pool (heated year-round) then please just "do that!" If my choice were to stay with you again.... I'd have to opt for the crappier hotel, with the crappier room for a quarter of the price, but at least, in the end, I'd know what I was getting. If this trip were not defined by such an amazing moment in our lives... I'd rate you lower.

Room Tip: Maybe, here are 2 good questions: Is my room on the 6th floor with the SPOTLIGHT shining through th...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank thewayrealpeopleare
Reviewed December 23, 2011

I have been meaning to write this review, but after a 21 hour semester - I haven't had much time.

From reading the other reviews, I was extremely hesitant about staying at the Flamingo. I must say, it is an older hotel, but it has been fairly maintained (at least the parts of it i saw).

As a total rewards Diamond member, I had the privilege of booking a Comp Deluxe room, but from the suggestions on the website I upgraded to the GO Luxury rooms for only $30.00.

The room was clean, had an appropriate number of toiletries, and there was no problem with check in - probably due to checking in on a Sunday. The dinning was great, sort of expensive but not too bad. I must say the room had a unique theme to it and the idea of having a television embedded in the bathroom mirror was pretty cool.

The only issue I had was at the pool, security constantly bombarded me asking to see my pool pass - kind of pissed me off.

My overall experience at the Flamingo was pretty cool - but it was my first Vegas experience. Didn't have much luck at any of the casinos except the Palazoo (i think i misspelled it)...

Housekeeping stayed on top of their game, and the location on the strip is a PLUS!!!!

I would suggest the Deluxe rooms if you are not going to spend much time in the room, but for romance, comfort, and etc... UPGRADE!!!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Washingtonf09
Reviewed December 23, 2011

I am a fan of classic Vegas. Don't get me wrong, all the new deluxe hotels/ casinos are beautiful but I like the history of places like the Flamingo. The GO rooms are a cool pink and white trendy styled option. The bathroom is pretty much all frosted glass with a tv built into the mirror for a nice touch. The room was relatively clean. However, although the rooms have been renovated in the past few years...it is still an old hotel so don't expect the "new car smell". We have had rooms on strip side before, this time we had a nice view of the pools and gardens with partial view looking north up the strip. I think I actually preferred this location since the room can be a little loud on the strip side since you are over the casino and area where they have the loud music with go-go dancers. As for sleep...I slept well, the beds are super comfortable and gave me just enough recharge to get back to the tasks at hand. We played a ton of poker in the poker room and had a good time(I recommend playing 8a-2pm for the aces cracked bonus). The dining options are decent and even if you don't find something that suits you, there are still lots of options nearby. We ate in the cafe and I had a really good club sandwich. The wife was craving nachos and although they were big, they were cold and not very good. All things considered, I like this as a mid-strip option...close to everything and you dont really need to taxi or drive.

Room Tip: Spa elevator tower rooms are close to parking garage but not too far from casino. IMO, they are quie...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 23, 2011

Great location in the middle of many other famous name casino's.
LUXBUS from LA (Los Angeles) drops off and picks up from this casino.
Large quiet clean comfortable room on 18th floor.
Many eating choices within complex plus coffee shops. Convenience store onsite.
24/7 convenience store(s) a short walk away on strip.
Deuce Bus & Bendy bus (different) stops are nearby on strip.
Note: A few stops only are for both buses.
Monorail has a stop at Flamingo and a ticket machine is available in the reception area.
Most of the nearby casinos can be reached by walking or take the bus.
Fashion Outlets/Shopping Malls are available at the North and South ends of the strip plus in the centre opposite the Venetian. They can be reached by the Deuce or Bendy bus.

Do Not Leave Home Without Your Comfortable Walking Shoes .....

Many choices for shows at numerous casinos. Plenty of choices for tours of the region.

Recommend a visit to a large casino complex at least once. It is an experience not to be missed.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 22, 2011

The hotel has been Updated and is Very good, Rooms are Very Nice, with Little Pink. i missed the Great pool area with Flamingos. The room i had had nice beds, with TV Built into bathroom Mirror, with electric Curtains , large flat screen, Great view of the Mountains.
They need to have more service members to check you in at busy times!!!

Room Tip: View of the mountains when opened you curtains in morning was great !!!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business