“Hard to beat the Hard Rock”

Hard Rock Hotel and Casino
Ranked #78 of 262 Hotels in Las Vegas
Chicago, IL
“Hard to beat the Hard Rock”
Reviewed November 28, 2004

After staying at the Veneitian for two years running we decided to try out a smaller hotel, and the Hard Rock was our baby. In our previous trips we always enjoyed the dealers and the casino at the HR so we thought we'd also try the hotel for once. What a great idea it was. We had a large group with 10 people and 5 rooms. They put the 5 rooms right in a row, all interconnecting. The front desk staff was kind and professional. I read several horrible reviews so I was worried about this part- well, don't believe them. Without fail EVERY staff member I encountered in our 4 day stay was great. Again, we are used to the venitian, which had 700 sq foot rooms at about 400/night. So you're getting a good reviewer here. I have high expectations and was NOT let down. The HR rooms will surprise you right away. They are plainly appointed, but the money is put where it counts- the beds. The bed was among the most comfortable I've encountered in any hotel stay. Down comforters, super high quality sheets and fanastic pillows guaranteed a sound sleeping experience. Each room also has a 50 or so inch plasma tv on the wall, which is awesome. If I could complain about anything it would be the complete lack of soundproofing. You can hear every conversation in the hallways and every peep from the rooms next door. Rooms 220-238 or so have administrative offices accross the hall from them, which helped here. It was relatively quiet for us. If you had some partying room next door though, you would not get any sleep unless you were deaf. The casino is unbeatable. I have gambled at almost every major casino downtown and on the strip and have never encountered nicer dealers. There is also rock and roll playing in the background, which really makes losing your money more fun. The casino is small and cozy- fantastic. Don't doubt the Hard Rock- it is awesome!

9 Thank m3fan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,070)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed November 28, 2004

Our stay was amazing. The staff here were really friendly and helpful. In the hotel itself there is so much to see. The casino itself is only small compared to other casinos but is a relaxed atmosphere which is fun and eventfull. Well worth the money.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 4, 2004

Well. let me tell ya. I stayed at the Hard Rock opening weekend back in 1995, and have never stayed anywhere else. I would estimate probably 25-30 stays, some as long as six days. I always got stellar service. I got engaged at the Rock, honeymooned there, and spent my first aniversary there also. Now, we come to October 2004, my second anniversary. Heres where it all goes bad. I booked the room through another travel site, in full, on my credit card. I suppose its my fault, but I did not bring this credit card with me to the hotel. Upon trying to check in, I was informed by the clerk that I would not be allowed to because of the absence of the card. Their attitude (expressed to me by more than one employee) was "there is nothing we can do" and basically, my only option would be get back on the plane to Los Angeles and get my card. I had never been asked before to present my credit card for inspection before, the hotel always kept it on file. I also had never incurred any incidental room charges or done any damage to any room I stayed in. After much negotiation, I convinced the 'head honcho" desk clerk (who looked to be about 19) to accept a faxed photocopy of my credit card, front and back. Not an easy thing to get someone to do 400 miles away at 6 pm on a Monday evening. Even though this eventually (3 hours later) got me into the room, the "Honcho" made me feel as though his behind was on the line, and he truly was doing me a huge favor and I should kiss his ring. The attitude of the people I dealt with was never "Lets see how we accomodate you and solve this problem", it was more like "Sorry. Next." Its amazing how one experience can sour 9 years of fantastic memories. It was surreal. I couldnt beleive that was how the Hard Rock was going to do business. I felt like I was truly snubbed and blown off by the staff, who obviously couldnt give two yanks about my situation or how to take care of me. Thanks, but no thanks, Hard Rock. Never again.

13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
, Front Office Manager at Hard Rock Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, November 6, 2004
On behalf of the entire management team at the Hard Rock Hotel, Las Vegas, we thank you for your input! We regret that you experienced trouble during the check-in process with your October visit. To fill you in, please understand that credit card fraud is the biggest problem hotels and casinos in Las Vegas are facing. Because of the nature of this problem, hotels are forced to require a credit card and matching photo ID to be presented at check-in. Also explained on all wholesaler websites, this measure allows us to protect the integrity of the reservations process. Regretfully, the world is straying away from a cash-only basis. I'm confident that once you got settled in, your experience was both comfortable and productive. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino the next time your leisure plans return you to Las Vegas! And, please remember your credit card! :)
Wisconsin
Reviewed October 27, 2004

My company reserved this place for a trade show. Hard Rock Hotel was not as bad as I'd feared based on other reviews. It was not a convenient location for a show at the Convention Center.

Relatively small, HRH is more convenient than the very large hotels (shorter lines, less waiting for cabs, etc.)

Visualize a Hard Rock restaurant, only it's a hotel. The historic costumes and guitars displayed were kind of interesting. The musical theme was well done throughout. (E.g.: Zildjian cymbals for corridor light sconces).

The lobby is very loud, and the main restaurant was closed for a group, so only breakfast restaurant available was Mr. Lucky's (loud, crowded, smoky and overpriced). One morning they were working on the lobby floor with a jackhammer. Instead, I got room service, which was prompt and very good (expensive, $18.00 for a waffle and coffee, about the same as Mr. Lucky's). I did not eat in the restaurants but friends said the Japanese restaurant was good.

At night, security made a decent effort to check for room keys at the elevator. The taxi starters/doormen were helpful. The desk staff was prompt. No check in / check out issues. The casino waitresses are all dressed like hookers in fishnet stockings & leather minipants.

Service at the elevated bar, located in the center of the casino, was good and the ever-changing colored lights were cool. Drinks were pretty expensive at the bar and at the gift shop (Coors Light, $3.50. Each.) No minibars in rooms.

The room itself was pretty good, with French doors opening onto the pool. However, the jet exhaust from arriving planes and loud music outside prompted me to keep them closed. Live or canned rock music plays continuously in the pool area from 9AM to 10PM.

It was too cold to use the large pool area, which consists of palm trees, a fake "lazy river", a shallow pool and swim up bar. Nevertheless, I got dinged for a bogus $5.00 per night "Resort Fee" whatever that is. All in all, the HRH is the Hard Rock Cafe of hotels. Not great, but not that awful. Personally, if I went to Vegas on my dime (which I don't), I would stay elsewhere.

1 Thank rollin59
, Front Office Manager at Hard Rock Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, November 1, 2004
In response to the post: "Las Vegas: Hard Rock Hotel and Casino: "Hard Rock is not cool!"
The Management at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino thanks you for your feedback! We're constantly working to improve the property, with special attention to the guestrooms! Over the winter months, we are completely revamping the hotel guest rooms with huge plasma televisions, new bedding, fresh carpet and wallpaper among other exciting changes! We look forward to showing you true Hard Rock Hospitality on your next visit to the Las Vegas area!
Reviewed October 27, 2004

This is my favorite Las Vegas hotel. It's small, behind the strip which makes it cozy and without so much traffic nor noise. Rooms and spacious and very modern. But the best is their pool and beach. Lesss expensive that other hotels, it's the best value while in Las Vegas. I would love to live there!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 26, 2004

I was a bit leery of the 'party' atmosphere and customer service after reading a lot of the reviews of Hard Rock, but was pleasantly surprised! I did not get attitude from the staff, they in fact were very helpful and made me feel safe to walk around with all of the MANY guys that hung out at the circle bar (and everywhere else). Circle bar rocked b.t.w.! Good prices and service. Food was pretty good at Lucky's - Pink Taco was awesome! Pool looked good, but closed at 6pm (including the hot tub) so didn't have a chance to see it. Did I mention that there are tons of guys? Not all of them wanted to hook up (thank goodness!), but lots were up for it if that's what you are looking for!

Ended with a massage at the Rock Spa and it was well worth it.

Watch out for the $6 bottles of water in the rooms...you drink it, you get charged for it!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed October 26, 2004

We just spent five so, so days at the Hard Rock in Las Vegas.

Here are the problems with this hotel:

1. Cheap rooms with tiny bathrooms
2. Room walls are paper thin and you can hear everything!
3. The place is not clean. We had a horrible expererience with our room.

Here are a few positives:

1. The only thing good about the Casino are the $5 craps tables.
2. Simon, a restaurant in the hotel, has wonderful food.
3. The staff does try to help one out when there is a problem.
4. The music is nice out by the pool during the day.

2 Thank maae40