“Fun for about 10 minutes”

Hard Rock Hotel and Casino
Ranked #78 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
New York
“Fun for about 10 minutes”
Reviewed June 17, 2008

Prior to my arrival, I was excited to stay at the Hard Rock. That feeling of excitement turned to frustration as soon as I walked through the doors. Front desk staff was surly at best. I found the room to be a bit small by Vegas standards. The decor in the room, casino, and common areas is tired and outdated. Basically its the same exact things you'd find at the Hard Rock Cafe in NYC. The pool is cool looking, but the drunks just kill it. This place is filled with young 20 somethings that dont understand that people dont go to Vegas for a frat party. Beer cans floating in the pool, belligerent drunken guys and sloppy drunken girls rule at this pool scene. Ate at AJ's Steakhouse one night, found it to be quite average as compared to some of the other steakhouses in Vegas. The food at Lucky's is decent for a 24 hour joint, ate there most meals actually. All in all, the Hard Rock is a cool concept, poorly executed. They need to market this place to a more suitable Vegas crowd ie: young professionals as opposed to college kids.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Drunken frat boys all over the place
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Lupush

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,048)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Diego
Reviewed June 13, 2008

I had stayed at the Hard Rock when it first opened many years ago, and found everything to be just peachy. Although I was way too young to gamble at the time, I still had a blast. Fast forward a few years and man, things have changed!

At check in on Sunday night I explained to the clerk that I was in town for seminars and all I was interested in was a quiet room, away from the party activites and that I couldn't care less about a view. I get to the room and on both sides of my room there are at least half a dozen kids drinking, smoking etc. on the balconies with the music booming. So I call down to the desk and ask the clerk if he's trying to be funny... 'cause I'm not laughing. Those kids are just trying to have a good time - and good for them. I on the other hand belong someplace else. So the clerk offers me another room and I of course take it. The second room is off in the corner, which fine with me. The problem was that there were no pillows, linnens, and most of the furniture (lamps, charis etc.) was missing. So again, I call down to the desk and complain. I am again offered another room, so again I move. The third room has furniture and linnens, no view, but is quiet. I am happy. That is until I go into the bathroom to find the sink is filled with what appears to be puke... no matter what is was, it was discusting! Again, I call down to the desk... But now I'm just frustrated. I tell the clerk to just send someone up to clean it, in the meantime I need to go back to the second room to retreive a jacket I left behind in the move. I end up spending another 45 min waiting for security to esscort me to the seond room, where I left my jacket. Guess what - no jacket. And it was a super cool jacket! I go back to my room (the third room) grab my swimsuit and head down to the spa. All I want at this point is to chill out and luckily the spa was open till 10pm.

By Las Vegas standards the spa is pathetic. Your local 24hour fitness offers more amenities. And i can't for the life of me figure out what the draw is for the pool. It looks just like the pool at Hooters. With pool complexes like Red Rock, Flamingo, Mandalay Bay, and even the Golden Nugget in town, I can't fathom paying up a cover charge for what amounts to really nothing special.

I get back to my room at about 9:30pm and the maintence guy is still working away. So I decided to head down to the lobby for something eat. The Pink Taco is nothing more than an overpriced Taco Bell. Seriously. So back up to my room I go... The maintenece guy is just leaving. He's very nice and appologetic . I order some ice cream from room service and call it a night. Although it takes an hour, it's cold, solid and sweet.

The next morning I had a long conversation with the manager who did end up comping the entire stay and even offered a second a complementary stay for a later date. But I checked out that morning and made it clear that I wouldn't stay at the Hard Rock again, even if he paid me. (I moved to THEhotel where things ran smoothly)

I spend almost a month every year in Vegas hotels. Most hotels with a three star or higher ranking are just fine, especailly for a twentysomething. But not the Hard Rock.

The bottom line is this - the Hard Rock attracts kids who are desperately trying to be cooler than they could ever hope to be. There is nothing "edgy" about this place at all. Even the memorabilia is dated... who caes about Axcel Rose and the Bare Naked Ladies anymore?!? The casino is tiny. The rooms are okay, but nothing special when compared with similar hotels. The desk staff and security are rude at best. The place is all about hype, not substance. And since it is now under construction, I suggest you do yourself a favor and stay someplace else.

However, The Joint is in fact an okay music venue. Sadly, one of the best in town for relevant acts.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Jupitersmoon
Canada
Reviewed June 12, 2008

Outside of some construction and over bearing (young) partiers the Hard Rock was a comfortable stay. The view of the pool and other hotels was breathtaking in the evening. The service was excellent. Rooms were clean. The food was excellent through room service, but the hotel was lacking a nice restaurant. This hotel does cater to a younger crowd although what should you expect from the Hard Rock. If you are going to party...Go to the Hard Rock.

• Liked — View/pool
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank rmhayward
Vancouver
Reviewed June 12, 2008

We stayed at the Hard Rock as this was a 21st birthday and the b/day girl chose this hotel. We were 2 moms with two daughters (age 21 & 24) This hotel is strictly geared toward young people.
The loud music, people screaming in the hallways, people passed out in the hallways to name a few. I have also stayed at the Hard Rock, San Diego which I found to be delightful. Still geared toward he younger set but very sophisticated.
My issues start with trying to rent a cabana at the pool - I called the number on the web-site and my name and telphone number were taken and I was told that someone would call me back. They finally called 1 day before my departure. We wanted to change the cabana rental the day we arrived but could not get ahold of the rental person. The concierge called for us and left a detailed message of what we wanted but we were never contacted again about the pool/rental.
The day after arrival I was tidying up the bedcovers and to my horror noticed that the underside of the duvet cover was crusted with dried semen. Nice huh! I called housekeeping and they sent up a supervisor. She came up to the room and apologized and assured me that all the sheets and duvet would be changed.
This was done - the duvet appeared to be newly laundered but this time it had 2 lovely cigarette burns on it. My question to housekeeping was - why are all the bed linens not changed after guests leave? I never got an answer except for it should have been done.
Most of the hotel staff we came in contact with were very pleasant but not accomodating. It seemed that whatever we asked the answer was no, but with a smile.
I did want to leave a complaint with the Guest Service Manager but they had no more forms left to fill out so I was given his business card with email addy. I sent him an email regading the duvet etc., but never got a reply. It really annoys me when managers do not have the courtesy to respond. This IS NOT a budget hotel where one might expect uncleanliness. I guess they know that they'll still get the business from the younger set and could give a hoot about anyone that has a complaint.
It was a very disappointing experience and I will not stay at this hotel again.

• Liked — The 24/7 restaurant. The staff there were the most friendliest.
  • Disliked — The entire hotel needs a good cleaning (rooms, common areas, carpets)
1 Thank Coco1956
NYC
Reviewed May 31, 2008

Three of my girlfriends and myself stayed at the hardrock during Memorial Day weekend.. If you want to party and your late 20's/30's this is the place to be.. We had a sick time at Rehab on Sunday..but be aware you have to stand in line at 7am for admission to the pool.. and if you don't stay at the hardrock you have to stand in a public line (so uncool).. The overall scene is a great and everybody is out to have a good time.. Only complaint is that we booked a room with 2 queen beds and got a room with a king and a cot (They comped us a night)?!? but whatever.. it's memorial day weekend in Vegas.. who sleeps anyway??

• Liked — The pool
1 Thank NYC23
Texas
Reviewed May 17, 2008

Three friends and I traveled to Las Vegas to see Duran Duran perform 2 nights at the Hard Rock Hotel May 9 and 10th. We were very disappointed in the hotel. Here are the reasons:

The construction started at 6am and was very loud. We couldn't be moved to another room. However the hotel did comp us for the 1st night. It was the cheapest night of our stay. Nice gesture, but hardly worth it.

Thankfully our room was a mountain veiw because the pool side would have been horrible with the music playing all day long. One of our friends had a poolside room and you couldn't get comfortable in your room because of the noise. The music started at 9am on Sunday morning and progressively got louder and louder. We like music, but there comes a point when it is too much. Closing the balcony door did even come close to drowning out the noise.

The hotel is great for the newly 21 and not great for anyone over the age of 25. Kids who can't hold their liquor were all over the place and you had to step over them and dodge the crazy arms. But if you want cheap gambling, then this is the place. $5, $10 tables all over the place and there are even penny megabuck slots.

The ventilation in this hotel is horrible and you smell like an ashtray 5 miuntes after walking into the hotel.

I bascially felt dirty in this place and will never stay there again. Nothing about the hotel was good. It is turning into a run down facility that caters to the kids with little money.

• Liked — Cheap gambling
  • Disliked — Drunk kids everywhere
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank ousax
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed May 11, 2008

Stayed at the Hard Rock for 4 nights back in March 2008. My girlfriend and I had a blast!!! The pool is probably the best highlight of the hotel. Great scene for chilling out and throwing some cocktails back. Not a place for kids, if you have kids go elsewhere. I found the room we had to be pretty neat. Big comfy beds, tons of pillows, a flat screen plasma TV and a great high powered shower.
We had a few late night eats at Mr. Lucky's which has some great food and killer milkshakes!!!

A few drawback is the renovation currently in place. We actually had a room that pointed out towards the construction site, but I didn't hear too much noise like other reviewers. One day I was walking by the starbucks down stairs and a big chunk of roof fell on the floor. A few minutes later I saw one of the manager's on his walkie talkie cursing someone out about it. So the new renovation could cause some inconveniences. Played blackjack one night and I found the dealer to be extremely rude.

With the exception of the renovation and blackjack dealer, I really liked the Hard Rock. Will stay again, but will wait until after the renovation is complete.

• Liked — Pool Scene,
  • Disliked — BlackJack Dealer and Renovation
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple